Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Only downside is are we even entitled to attend the conference if we do that?
Master Zhang isn't. Does he give a fuck?
:lol:

Tally:
Baltika9 C B
Rex Feral C B
Kz3r0 A C
Absinthe B>C>A B
Tigranes A B
XenomorphII A B
TOME x A
Kashmir Slippers C A
Akkudakku A B
asxetos B B
Elfberserker A B
GreyViper A B
Nevill A B
Grimgravy B A
Azira B A
Esquilax C B
Fangshi C>B B>C
Jester C A
Chumbucket B B
Tribute B>C B
Lambchop19 A A>B
Ganymede C B
The Brazilian Slaughter A B
Smashing Axe A A

A- 10
B- 8
C- 8

Post-flop

A- 10
B- 10
C- 6

A- 7
B- 16
C- 1

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

BTW, I seriously can't believe so many of you bros want to ditch the sword that's been with us almost since the beginning of the LP. No bro love for our sword after everything we've been through together? For shame. :(

edit:
Yu Chang was a sword of bravery. According to the History of Assassins, a chapter of the Records of the Grand Historian, also known in English by the Chinese name Shiji, when King Liao of the State of Wu, was enjoying some food served by Zhuan Zhu, a cook dispatched to assassinate the king. Hardly had he heard an eagle flying down to him when a sword came out from the fish he was going to eat. With the sword, Zhuan Zhu wasted no time in pointing it at King Liao. Although Liao’s well-trained guards protected him with weapons, the sword still successfully reached him and stabbed into his heart. Therefore, Yu Chang was a sword of bravery.

Doesn't this just scream Xue Jing? Troll-killing someone with their own fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
Meh, Emei's property anyway. For us it's just a ticket in the Conference, but the whole plan with CB is to go for a maximally BRO appearance and mending the relationship with the BRO Sects. Plain and simple, CB makes us look good.

Plain and simple, CB makes us look good.
Fixed the emphasis for you. When have we ever cared about looking good? When has that ever gotten us anywhere? We've been treated like the bad apple we are from the begining, but it hasn't stopped us. It's the end of the LP FFS. Let's not start pussing out now.

Baltika9

Arcane
Plain and simple, CB makes us look good.
Fixed the emphasis for you. When have we ever cared about looking good? When has that ever gotten us anywhere? We've been treated like the bad apple we are from the begining, but it hasn't stopped us. It's the end of the LP FFS. Let's not start pussing out now.
Uh, since we need to establish a good relationship with the BRO sects to get the Cult accepted and not ganged up on. It's one thing to be a loose-cannon, trollish maverick when you're freelance. We're not freelance anymore and our actions affect more than just Jing. An alliance with QIngcheng, Emei and Wudang would be fucking awesome, and this would be a gesture that they would really appreciate: Xu Jing behaving like an upstanding BRO and not a greedy jackass.

Besides, if we're not worth jack without a legendary sword, we deserve to die. Checkmate, Lambchop.

It's one thing to be a loose-cannon, trollish maverick when you're freelance
Firstly, you do realize that Jing is possessed by a demon that will make him act that way (apart from the trollish part) anyway in the future right? I mean, newsflash: you may want to ditch the idea of Jing suddenly becoming an elder statesman because we already know how this is going to end eventually. Secondly, who is talking about acting like a loose cannon? I'm saying giving up the sword isn't necessary - especially when they are fine with it.

edit: yes, we can fuck the war god ending up by dying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
It's one thing to be a loose-cannon, trollish maverick when you're freelance
Firstly, you do realize that Jing is possessed by a demon that will make him act that way (apart from the trollish part) anyway in the future right? I mean, newsflash: you may want to ditch the idea of Jing suddenly becoming an elder statesman because we already know how this is going to end eventually. Secondly, who is talking about acting like a loose cannon? I'm saying giving up the sword isn't necessary - especially when they are fine with it.
Hey, the points have been made and I'm with Esquilax's plan on this, to give the swords away now will give us a lot of political benefit and goodwill with the BRO sects.

As for the Demon and our future, nothing is set in stone yet. We can just as easily fuck it up or maybe even get rid of it by the end, so right now I'm continuing business as usual. Metagaming because of a Demon we know almost nothing about is kinda stupid, bro. treave did say that we can still fuck up our War God ending.

I was just shocked is all. I can't remember the last time I've seen you fist someone. Usually you're the one getting fisted...
:M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only downside is are we even entitled to attend the conference if we do that?
Even the ones who don't have a legendary sword will be present. I mean, Wudang were going there specifically to see who have stolen their blade, Shun was going to be present without announcing his status, and we know Zhang Jue will be attending it.

It is not about attending the conference, it is about making some meaningful contribution there. I am not ready to relinquish that right to Miazhou, Guo Fu and Song Lingshu, if anything, because at least two of the three simlpy lack the mental faculties required for political plays and may fall for a seemingly harmless plot by our enemies. We still don't know jack about the conference, so we have no way of knowing if having the reputation of a living saint (that we won't have even if we give away all our girls along with all the swords) is going to be enough to achieve whatever we want to achieve there (and we still don't know what that is, too).

It feels as if we want to stand there and look pretty good instead of actually doing anything.

Also, I really dislike this "nah bro we already know you're the Fire Lord" thing, next time we hear every loser in the streets knows we're Fire Lord. Wonder if Shaolin secretly told the Emei higher-ups about it.
It is the Wudu Cult. They are a bunch of spies, infiltrators and assassins. Its their damned job to know stuff no one else does.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
so we have no way of knowing if having the reputation of a living saint (that we won't have even if we give away all the girls along with all the swords) is going to be enough to achieve whatever we wan to achieve there (and we still don't know what that is, too).
On that same note, will we even be able to make any meaningful impact by ourselves just by holding a Great Sword? Honestly, when it comes time for a game of Public Face, Nie Wuxing can tear our whole bloc apart like wet tissue paper. If it gets to the point where Wudang, Emei and Song Lingshu's words won;t have any weight at all against him, the "greatest swordsmaster who ever lived," then we won't make their chances any better by being the one holding on to a sword(s). I dunno, it seems to me that Esquilax hit the nail on the head here:
Basically, I do the same thing as you do, only I want to retain the right to affect the outcome of the conference directly. I prefer having my own voice instead of proxies. I know this is not the right example, but zhang manlou gave the sword to Minyue to speak on his behalf, and we are hoping to turn it against him. The proxies are not always the most reliable means of making yourself heard.

And here is where we disagree. I believe that we can affect the outcome even more strongly indirectly than we can directly. Win hearts and minds, and you won't even need the sword. An official voice is nice to have, but many of these people are our allies, with the same interests as us. Furthermore, we can win over people like Zhang Minyue and Su Cheng's disciple with a display of selflessness. We may not have a formal voice here, but I believe that our presence will be felt even more strongly this way.

As for rights to the sword, there's no doubt that Emei is cool with us having it. But, even though we have a claim, Emei's claim is still stronger than ours. We have a right to wield it, but they have even more of a right to it than we do. I think that's fairly clear. So if we return it to the person who has a stronger claim over it, it'll go over way better than keeping it. Again, I'm not implying that keeping it would be worse for our reputation, rather that giving it back to Emei would be much better.
And hell, with Jing and LORD Zhang Jue standing on the sidelines behind the triumvirate of Emei-Wudang-Lingshu, let someone try to make moves and coalitions against our side. We can make our presence felt without the sword, by being the muscle behind our allies' talk. Mental faculties? Yeah, Bro Fu isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and Lingshu is all about the JUSTICE!, but Emei nuns have good heads on their shoulders and we share a common agenda, which is to curb any powerplays by Wuxing. Moreover, such a move won't at all be expected by the Douchebag Council, and that will give us an advantage over them.

If all else fails, we have Shunbro in reserve, waiting to unleash some of his trollan.

Esquilax

Arcane
It is not about attending the conference, it is about making some meaningful contribution there. I am not ready to relinquish that right to Miazhou, Guo Fu and Song Lingshu, if anything, because at least two of the three simlpy lack the mental faculties required for political plays and may fall for a seemingly harmless plot by our enemies. We still don't know jack about the conference, so we have no way of knowing if having the reputation of a living saint (that we won't have even if we give away all our girls along with all the swords) is going to be enough to achieve whatever we wan to achieve there (and we still don't know what that is, too).

It feels as if we want to stand there and look pretty good instead of actually doing anything.

That's the crux of our disagreement in this DISCUSS!!!, isn't it? Which choice will allow us to make the most meaningful contribution at the Conference? I feel that, given the circumstances, we can make the biggest mark here indirectly, through lots of alliances. Our reputation here can be used against us by Nie Wuxing and the Zhang Clan, but if we do something completely unexpected like this, not only will we have more allies in the Conference, we'll also be able to sway people like Zhang Minyue and Su Cheng's disciple to our side as well. We might forgo our own vote by giving away our sword, but we could also win more votes to our side overall with a surprising move like this.

As for the naivete of some of our allies, that is a very good point, but if Miaozhu or one of the other senior Castration Nuns are there (I don't know if the Abbess is here), then I am certainly not worried about the Zhang Clan or Nie Wuxing getting one over on one of the old bats in the form of a power play. As long as we have one savvy player in there, I am not bothered by it.

I think that the biggest downside to not having a Great Sword won't be political, it'll be physical - by not having a Great Sword, we won't have a legendary weapon if/when shit hits the fan. Definitely a big disadvantage, but Lord Zhang would not want it any other way.

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Honestly, when it comes time for a game of Public Face, Nie Wuxing can tear our whole bloc apart like wet tissue paper
Hello? You seem to constantly talk about public face. Who is the public, though?

Oh, no, Guo Fu will backstab us because Wuxing is going to tell mean things about us. So would Lingshu, it seems. And I guess Lanhai is going to be convinced by Wuxing's words and not by the safety of her kids.

The existing blocks are pretty much antagonistic to each other regardless of our participation or our reputation. Why do you expect it to influence the flow of the conference in a meaningful way?

Baltika9 said:
If it gets to the point where Wudang, Emei and Song Lingshu's words won;t have any weight at all against him
Now where does that come from? It is nice we can come up with some hypothetical scenarios, but what use they are now when we know nothing about what the conference would even entail?

I have a scenario for you, though. If it comes to the point where he is going to buy votes with Nie Twins, I want to be there as a bidder. See, I can do it, too!

What is that talk about weight? Who is going to be swayed by these words? The only factions in play are the sword holders, and they all come with their own pre-existing agendas.

You seem to imagine the conference as some political pissing contest where the faceless and mindless electorate is going to choose the wielder of the Xuanyuan Sword based on some sort of an election campaign, and that if we relinquish our earthly posessions swords, we would suddenly be eligible for presidency. If only I had your confidence.

What is more likely to happen, though, is that we are out of the running and are not mentioned again. Surely they won't choose us as the wielder, would they? They all would have to agree on that if they have to choose an outsider.

You are going to receive your reputation boost with the allies, but why would it affect anything at the conference if you aren't in and they don't have to support you?

Baltika9 said:
And hell, with Jing and LORD Zhang Jue standing on the sidelines behind the triumvirate of Emei-Wudang-Lingshu, let someone try to make moves and coalitions against our side.
Sure, let's count on Master Zhang to keep things in check. That will keep it civil. I mean, with the guy who does not have a vote and can only participate on the intimidation factor alone, what could go wrong?

See, when you intend to be the muscle behind someone else from the get go, that's where I find it strange you are supporting the talk about how you can achieve everything by winning hearts and minds and without resorting to violence.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Let me put it this way: how do you think we will be able to influence the conference as a direct participant? Why do you think et must have a sword to fulfill or agenda there?

Nevill

Arcane
Let me put it this way: how do you think we will be able to influence the conference as a direct participant? Why do you think et must have a sword to fulfill or agenda there?
By casting a vote for the future wielder of the Xuanyuan Sword and having our allies support us our choice. The bonus reputation won't do you much good if they can't support you because you are not there.

I also expect us to come up with clever arguments and colorful speeches that Wuxing would be hard pressed to argue against. We did corner him with words once in the alternate timeline, remember?

Wuxing is likely to push for zhang clan and znang manlou in particular, though he could do it through Minyue to gain more legitimacy, since she is a worthy candidate, all things considered. Young, noble, brave, with a good mastrer and a good track record - you name it, Minyue has it.

I expect us to raise more than a few objections - maybe even the ones that even Minyue would be inclined to agree.

And no, you don't want Lingshu and Guo Fu trying to outweasel the politician at his own game.

I think that the biggest downside to not having a Great Sword won't be political, it'll be physical - by not having a Great Sword, we won't have a legendary weapon if/when shit hits the fan. Definitely a big disadvantage, but Lord Zhang would not want it any other way.
And I think otherwise. I do not feel confident with only Miazhou to outthink and outspeak out opponents. We have no idea how good or bright or eloquent she is.

BRO Fu and Lingshu are not the ones for speeches.

If you want to settle things at the conference with words alone, you'd think you want some good orators to be there on your side.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, and why would we be the one selected if Wuxing's candidate fails? Seriously, why us? Guo Fu had a better chance.
Honestly, I think that going for the Xuanyuan is a pipedream. Get it for Shun? Yeah, realistic. Keep it out of Wuxing and Manlou's grubby hands? Doable.
Get ourselves elected as the wielder? Not fucking likely.

Esquilax

Arcane
Ah shit, it just occurred to me: treave, if we don't have any Great Swords on us, what will Shun do if he wishes to make his voice heard? He is going incognito here, so it's not like he can walk up to someone and say "Hi, I'm the Emperor. Mind giving me your Sword, please?" because we're the only one that knows of his identity. Does he have any proof that he is really Emperor Xuande? If our goal here is to give Shun the Xuanyuan Sword - and I believe it is - then giving the Swords away would make things very difficult for him.

Nevill, do we even know if Guo Fu will be the Wudang Sect representative here? Guo Fu mentioned he would meet a bunch of his bros when he departed from us, perhaps he won't be the one with the Sword. In any case, given that Abbess Miaozhu is a sect head and has been around the jianghu for a long time, I think we can assume that she's at least a bit savvy with how politics works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom