Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    C because why not?

^ Top  
  2. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Wait Treave can Cao help us to develop non lethal approach? Would help if we wish to try win tournament.
    Think she has 9-10 int.

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: You actually took that seriously?
    Dude, she's our little sis, that would be sick!
    In regards to Jing's love life, I'll accept Yunzi and no one else, those two were made for one another.

And I'm not against taking Cao'er with us because of her talents, she's still a badass medic, even without our meridians, and will even be able to help us save any accidental casualties from our Rip and Tear style. Plus, she covers our lack of ranged skills.

However, Esquilax raises awesome points and I may very well flop.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    She has her professional development as a healer to consider. Being cramped on a mountain retreat will probably only have her saving the life of the heroine of a korean historical drama every once in a while, as opposed to having regular practice in dealing with shattered faces, everything, etc. if she follows us. If she decides that the safety at the mountain beats that experience, then that's fine, but it should be her decision to make.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    She is Yifang's twin sister! Have some faith! And wash her up.

What, and subject her to the vow of eternal celibacy? NEVER!

A is the obviously smart choice here. Which is why I am going with B. Because we promised Yao we would look after her, and Jing keeps his promises, yes?

But Yifeng is our sis's sis. Does it make her our sis, too? I see a fault in your logic, good sir.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    ^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I have a feeling that you already know that she'll say "yes". She's had a crush on Jing ever since they met, and now he shows up like a knight in shining armour to perform a daring rescue while she's captured by the Qingcheng. Who do you think she's going to with; the handsome, bold young man off in search of adventure, or a bunch of stuffy nuns with a shitload of rules?

I think that there's definitely more to Zhang that meets the eye, the man is as enigmatic as he is terrifying. However, I don't think that the depth behind Zhang is that he cares about the value of human life deep down; he doesn't give a fuck, and he's demonstrated this many times. The only reason that those nuns are alive is because we needed sparring partners. The Maniac fascinates me as well, but we're not going to discover that he's actually a really good guy underneath. He isn't. And if he sees Cao'er as a threat to our progress, what do you think he's going to do about it?

You know that she doesn't think that. She misses Jing. Look at this:

Jing is the reckless apprentice of the Southern Maniac, he isn't responsible enough to take care of himself, let alone someone else.

I don't get it, how is this a bad thing? Why do you want me to flop to B, Tigranes?

^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Nothing is beyond you, you depraved little man. :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That hurts, man. :(

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    You just told us that the Abbess is our grandma.
    THAT hurt.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What's so bad about that? Dude, she's the most badass grandma one could ask for! Ex-bandit unorthodox badass turned asskicker nun, that's one useful person to know.

In fact, I want her to be our friend and someone we can come to at any time and ask for advice. This is very worldly person, getting her to see us as "lil' bro" will be very useful indeed. In addition to everything Esquilax said, this gives me enough reason to flop to A. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Reverse psychology! IT'S WORKING!

Flopped to A.

^ Top  
  12. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    No bros, we're not the Shadow Wolf.
    We're the Shadow Tigerwolf. Shadow Wolf must be some other guy.
    Shadow Wolves don't scale trees, for one thing.

And I really think Cao'er going with us is better on the long-run. Because:
    1) She won't be able to blossom to her full potential
    2) She would be a pretty useful party member - She can't heal with qi (but nothing stops her from healing us with herbs AFAIK) us or kill (until we face down the Uhihihihihihihihi, that is), but she can make better herbs (AND LAXATIVES! VOTE HERE FOR TACTICAL LAXATIVES MKII!), throwns very well (not everyone out there is a servant of Chaos Undivided without Meridians), can heal other people for us (getting them happier with us or less angry after we kick their asses in honorable duel), is very perceptive, has immortal's eyes, etc. She can probably make poisons if we need them, too.
    3) She keeps Jing grounded and less liable to succumb to the MAXIMUM FUCK.
    4) Harem Ending, Jing is not Ean.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    For us? Sure, while she is alive.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That's a fair point. She'll learn a hell of a lot more about being a healer if she's in the thick of it. Even if she can't heal Jing, she would be useful in a lot of the challenges that we'll take part in. We won't have to worry about breaking someone's arms and legs if we know that we have a great healer in Cao'er with us.

But dude, you know she's going to pick us if we give her the choice to do so. For her, the choice between Jing and an unknown convent full of strangers and a strict set of rules is a very easy one to make. And I suspect that the Abbess is aware of this - it's easy to spin this as "oh, well, it's her choice" when you are pretty much certain you know that she'll go with you. She is not stupid and she'll see through this "let's give her a choice" nonsense for what it is - complete bullshit. We're giving her the choice to come with us because we know she'll come with us. Not much of a "choice", now is it? treave, being a disciple of the evil unorthodox pugilist known as Master Gaider, is aware of this.

You talk about her professional development, but what about her personal development? She's spent her entire life with a crazy guy in the woods and she's only managed to develop enough social skills to form complete sentences very recently. Being around a bunch of people her age and studying with them will be good for her. It's a better environment than what Yao provided, and it's better than what we can give her.

Look at the facts: Yao's lifestyle caught up with Cao'er, and we only narrowly managed to salvage the situation and keep things calm at Qingcheng. Our lifestyle as the disciple of the Southern Maniac is at least as dangerous as Yao's, and we will be making lots of enemies along the way. She shouldn't have to be part of all the trouble surrounding us.

Why do we want to win the tournament? We have a year to complete Zhang's challenge, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Anyways, since we're competing, we don't need Cao'er to spot all the flaws in our opponents:

Experiencing the techniques of our opponents first-hand will allow us to figure this shit out without the need for a PER 10 with Immortal's Eyes to do it for us. Yeah, she'll be helpful in a tournament to spot an opponent's technique before we fight them, but if we're in the ring ourselves, we can develop an awareness of the opponent's flaws quite easily on our own.

Better... for who? Better for Cao'er, or better for Jing? Because you haven't explained why it's better for her - all of your reasons are selfish ones. You're only thinking about why it's better insofar as it's better for us. Okay, so she becomes a better healer by mending all the bones that we inevitably end up breaking, but why is it better for her? Maybe she'd be happier, y'know... socializing with people her age and becoming a well-adjusted adult instead of getting involved in a shitload of dangerous situations that we'll no doubt get ourselves in. Yao raised this girl in the woods and left her pretty maladjusted, maybe it would be better if she had some semblance of normality in her life, which she'll find in the convent.

4) is a stupid reason. Jing loves the ladies, but he is a :obviously: gentleman, not some faggy PUA who equates his self-worth with how many women he's fucked. And c'mon bro: Cao'er is just too much like a sister to us, it's fucking gross.

But hey, if you want to think purely in terms of benefits for us, I'm sure that the Abbess would appreciate it if we decided to encourage Cao'er to return to Emei. She might be grateful enough that she'll teach us an awesome Sword technique that we can use with our Yuchang Sword. We have the head nun here with us, she knows how dangerous things are going to get for us, but helping bring Cao'er has done a lot to make her trust us. If there's anyone who knows some skills with the sword, it's her:

As for other benefits, well, we'd be in good terms with Emei. Kashmir Slippers, I remember you wanted to be on decent terms with some of the orthodox sects, correct? Well, this is a great chance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Now, now, let's not go all Disney about this. It's a pugilist world and many people choose a life of wandering, adventuring and whatnot as a viable lifestyle. I don't see anyone arguing that Jing is being psychologically traumatised by not getting to play with boys his age. Cao'er may become depressed in the convent, or bullied, lose her taste for life, whatever - you can't really attribute that when she didn't seem to particularly suffer or hate life with Yao. I don't think we should infantilise her and say "hey this is good for you the world is too dangerous little girl".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The world isn't too dangerous for her. It is the part of the world we chose to reside in that is extremely dangerous. With no school to back us up, the only safe haven for us is the Ashina tribe, and the Luoying Manor might also qualify. Everywhere else we are just an outcast.

And then there is a matter of our Master.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I'm not saying she hated life with Yao. I'm saying that it's the only life she's ever known. It's easy to pat yourself on the back and say "well, here I am giving her a choice, look at what a great guy I am", when she's never met the Abbess in her life and Jing is the only person that she's ever been friends with because of her travelling lifestyle. Given the choice between heading off to a convent and heading off with Jing, she's obviously going to go off with Jing. And I feel that a lot of the reasons that The Brazilian Slaughter were giving felt like rationalizations; bringing her along for reasons that are beneficial to Jing, not reasons that are beneficial to her. Overall, it's safe to say that Emei is more beneficial to Cao'er than travelling with Jing would be.

But it's fairly clear from the initial description that she never developed any social skills due to Master Yao's lifestyle:

At the moment, old Yao is far more of a badass than us, yet he barely made it out in one piece. He was able to protect her up until now because he was (a) a fucking great doctor who always kept his word, and (b) because nobody fucks with the Killing Physician. If Yao wasn't able to protect her at Qingcheng, what chance do we have? Eventually I am confident that Jing will surpass Yao in skills, but right now, we just don't have the ability to look after her.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd add (c) because he didn't try to fuck with 8 major orthodox sects all at once.

^ Top  
  19. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I'm switching to C, because I have a feeling it is better for our standing in relation to both the Emei and Yao. Also feels more like she made her own decision rather than us forcing her, thus ensuring more loyalty and gratitude from her, therefore she will feel happier. Let the girl decide, I say.

... But, we ARE the people of her age. I know the BIG EVENT hans't started yet, but it seems pretty clear to me someone's planning to raise a revolt against the current dinasty and take over the Dragon Throne using the Pugilistic world as pawns. That's why the Woman-in-Black attacked Shun, that's why they killed Poetbro's family and took that great sword from his family. This may also possibly involve a take-over of the Pugilist schools too if we go by the theory Rong.jr was a front for a Unorthodox takeover of Songfeng. Big things are brewing up and we must be ready. Having Cao'er nearby is our best insurance she won't get dragged in this mess when it starts, we spent one year away and Yao got her into this mess.

Living wandering with people like Jing, Poetbro, Qui and Yunzi is better for her than living in a Emei convent. Cao'er needs to know real life, away from kooks like Yao and ascetics like the Emei. Jing is the closest thing to "real life" she has.

I also forgot to list a reason: I'm afraid Cao'er is taken in by the Emei, becomes their star discipline super-fast (she is VERY brainy and perceptive) and then we have to fight her. I don't want to kill her. There's also the possibility that someone tries to pull a Songfeng on the Emei and Cao'er gets blasted in the way.

Jing is a :obviously: polygamous gentlemen. The Harem Tigerwolf King's love and brotherhood is all-encompasing, hail the Buddha.
    Is she? Many women date men because they resemble their fathers or brothers.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We'll just ask her really nicely and pat her on the head. She'll concede the win to us on the spot.

The Maniac shall be amused once the tales of our victory spread.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Cao'er coming with us was a foregone conclusion. She is a good friend, and it seems like a waste to put one on a bus just so they could have a happy ending. I'm just voting as a mean of self-expression.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Also if you leave Cao'er with the nuns, they'll shave her bald. That'd traumatise her for a long time, man. Don't want her to think we're responsible for that. And I think that's the major reason why she won't go with the nuns.

Silly reasoning aside, I wonder if it's possible to have her tag along with us until we can work out a better arrangement. That might be a viable compromise, not the best, but still, I feel her skills are liable to waste in a monastery, just as Yao's might.

Speaking of which, treave, is Yao likely to practice medicine or teach it anymore?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yao was never a monk. He used to be a polite, shy country physician. Then he met the bandit queen.

As for romantic feelings, that's really up in the air. Spending a year together before this may be too fast for Jing to decide whether someone is his friend or lover or sister for good. Besides, at this age his emotions probably have not yet reached maturity. At any rate, none of the choices here involve romantic love, in his mind.

And from the perspective of the character, he isn't going 'I'm giving her a choice because I know she'll come with me.' If Codexers are choosing it because they're being manipulative, it's a statement about them, not the character. :smug:

Besides... why assume the answer she comes up with will be either A or B? C was meant to be a wildcard from the start (aka am I in a trolling mood and can I justify it?) :troll:

Edit: Yao can still do some medicine work, but he is barred from leaving the monastery once the Abbess dumps his stubborn old ass there, until she gives the say so. This stunt with Qingcheng has made her rather angry. He's to put his principles on hold and embrace Buddhism for now. But whether he'll genuinely do so is up to him in the end.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
  24. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Clearly she will get up, scream I NEVER LOVED ANY OF YOU and leave, not to be seen again for a decade when she resurfaces as the Killer Physician 2.0.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Voting C.

• It's her life and it should be her decision, even if the Jing is given the chance to choose.
    • Any outcome should be fine.
    • The guys complaining about Zhang endangering her forget that Zhang just gave Xing an entire year.
    • Miecao did not ask you to choose.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.