Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    Even if A is better for Cao'er, and some good points have been made that it is, I think ultimately everyone should be allowed to make their own decisions for better or worse. I don't tell people what to do in real life and I'm not going to do it in a CYOA either.

C

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The convent will give her training as well, in martial arts and inner harmony, that's what Buddhism is all about. Absolutely nobody can deny that she has had a difficult childhood and is completely screwed up in the head, so sending her to live among her peers, not ot mention her estranged sister, will definitely be better for her mentally than hiking around the world with Jing, the living embodiment of CHAOS! and Imperial double-agent. I can definitely see nothing but advantages for her in going to the convent, even professionally, we've seen the Emei going out on missions and undertaking tasks in the outer world and there will be no shortage of people coming to them for aid and healing. These are, after all, nuns.
    Sadly (not really), MAXIMUM FUCK! is part of our job now, as both Zhang's apprentice and Shun's agent, we will be dong incredibly risky shit in the future.
    I can totally imagine Jing rolling up to the Emei convent one day to ask life advice,
    "Grandmother, I have this situation and I really need some advice..."
    "Again?" <sigh> "Tea?"

^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    P. Sure Grandma's advise would be to join the whatsit and repent.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, treave, since they're having this relatively peaceful sit-down with not a whole lot of pressing matters to attend to, I want Jing to ask both of them about Master Zhang, what's his story? Yao seems to have some history with him,

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, treave can we get some answers now while we still can?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, it shouldn't impact the vote at all. Unless Zhang is Cao'er's father. Which would be fucked up on so many levels.
    :lol:

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    They've just crossed paths multiple times, which isn't really all that surprising. He's been in close proximity with Zhang enough to know that the man kills when and as he wishes. As far as the Southern Maniac's background, there isn't much to tell. He's studied with many different masters, including the current leaders of Wudang and Shaolin, and was cast out for his bloodthirstiness and recklessness in combat. At the age of twenty he made his name in the Huashan Summit, surprising and defeating many older competitors with his sheer brutality and killing a few notable names, including the former Southern Great.

Yao was also there when the Tieshen Clan, a school of warriors that were famed for their Iron Body Skill, challenged Zhang. The challenge was to be one-on-one, with Zhang taking on ten people consecutively, but when they realize that Zhang was striking to kill after the third person died, the school and the onlookers began piling on him to put the mad bastard down. Rumour has it that he tore apart a hundred fighters throughout the entire night, but in actuality Yao tells you no one bothered to count after the hundredth man went down, and some bodies have never been found to this day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So he annihilated an entire school sect by himself?
    He's my hero.

^ Top  
  9. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That's a fair point. Cao'er is two years younger than Jing, so she's around fourteen years old right now. When Jing was kicked out of the Imperial Palace and sent off into the world with Prince Shun's help, he was the same age. We've debated over and over whether going unorthodox was the right call or not in hindsight (I think we've made a rather good go of it, personally), but he was the same age, and was provided the same choice of either joining a sect or making his own way in the world as a martial artist.

He had the freedom of deciding where it was he really wanted to go when he was the same age, so it would be hypocritical of him to say "No, you can't make it on your own. It's too dangerous." At the same time however, I could see Jing saying to her "look, just because I'm the apprentice to the Southern Maniac, doesn't mean you have to get involved in my crazy life. Fuck it, go to the monastery and sing a few hymns, forget this shit."

Wait, so the Huashan summit is only a few years away? It's typically held every twenty-five years, Master Zhang looks to be around forty, so it seems like it's not too long till the next one is called, right?

Also, considering that Zhang is such a bad motherfucker, how the hell did the Central Tao manage to put him down? I understand if we might not be privy to this. I don't think Zhang would tell us how he lost... let's just say he seems like a sore loser. :lol:

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The next one is in roughly three years time. As for the Central Tao, his Taiji Fist and Swordplay is said to be ineffable. You may get further details if you fight him, or at least watch him fight.

Zhang himself hasn't taught you any specifics about Wudang outside the particular technique to counter them. He seems to want you to experience all the sects' moves for yourself without any bias.

^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I wouldn't be so sure Cao'er will choose to come with us. She just found out she has real family. She has a grandmother and sister she never knew. If she goes to Emei, she has the chance to know them and they her. I'm pretty sure Cao'er will at least consider it.

^ Top  
  12. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    C because why the hell not. Cao'er likes us, and she does have a talent that even we lack. Her story is hers to make. We can help her if she needs.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    ERYFKRAD - C
    Smashing Axe - C
    Grimgravy - C
    Zero Credibility - C
    Nevill - A
    Ifeex - B > C
    TOME - C
    m4davis - C
    Kipeci - C
    Azira - B
    XenomorphII - C
    The Brazilian Slaughter - C
    Baltika9 - A
    Stygian Lurker - C
    Esquilax - A
    Tigranes - A
    Jester - C
    Bloodshifter - B > C
    Absinthe - C
    ScubaV - C
    Kashmir Slippers - C

Current tally:

A - 4
    B - 3
    C - 14

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So we can win the tournament as the White Wolf, defeat the Eight Students as Jing and then show up to the Summit as our alias, only to reveal our true identity in a climactic final fight. Yes, that would be suitably dramatic.

^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Fix.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    She is in love with Jing, whom she thought to be deceased until just recently. Now that she miraculously has him back, I just don't see her choosing to part with him again. That is not how people's feelings work.

Excellent comparison. Might I remind you that we were besieged by bandits and left for dead in the first week of our adventuring career? Do you want something like this to happen again? You are now older and wiser than her, you are in a position to at least give her the advice.

Besides, to go with you or not is her choice to make, but to accept her as a companion or not is your choice. Do not try to point fingers and shift the blame to her "because that was her decision". She doesn't know just how perilous the path you are walking is, and even if you tell her, chances are, she doesn't care if it lets her be with you. Love can cloud the reason. Right now, you are the one who can think clearly. Whatever happens, the responsibility is yours, and yours alone.

On an unrelated note. treave, can we ask Yao and Lihua about Cao'er's parents? I am extremely interested in her father, and it would be nice to know what exactly happened to them. Maybe we can reunite the family one day if they are still alive.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    ^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Love is a strong word to use, and people don't make decisions based solely off their emotions.

Edit: As for her parents, they're dead. No doubt about it, Yao diagnosed them himself.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    She doesn't have our shitty luck stat, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    No, instead, she has 1 CHA, pretty much.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As in first love? It is quite fitting here, love have many facets.
    She does not have nearly enough information or experience to base her decisions on. What else does she have?

If you want to dig the luck debate out of its grave... she travels WITH us. If we are fucked, so is she. If she dies, that's our luck for you.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    If anything, that will make the bandits leave her alone. :lol:

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What was the luck of our companions when we got ambushed? Yet we are the one who got to live. If our luck is out to torture us, we will outlive her.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Which is why I'm hoping C will lead to this:

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    You speak as if she has no mind or will of her own. She's capable and can take care of herself. I've flopped.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, if we bug treave about "C is just another B", I hope it riles him enough to put her somewhere safe. :D

Kidding, kidding.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.