Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh-ho, this opens all kinds of avenues for trolling. If we can get to know them more, perhaps there will be rivalries we can exploit later down the road, or buried and repressed feelings we can play with? Ooh, the possibilities are limitless, but I get the feeling we have to go undercover for them to actually want to speak with us cordially.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This isn't supposed to be new information. It shouldn't change anything about your approach.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's not supposed to be new, but we've been operating under the assumption that there were Eight Top Students to defeat. Whoops.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're the Southern Maniac's best disciple. Eight or eighty should all be the same to the Mad Tiger. :rpgcodex:

Baltika9

Arcane
Going in to paint ourself as a fraud/Zhang 2.0 just seems like it won't do justice to Jing and his social skills.
Anyone can do those, all they need are the brains to carry it out correctly, not a lot of CHA or speech needed.

But to trick all the participants, make them believe we are a different person entirely and datamine them through becoming their friend without them realizing who we are, and then turning up at their school, " 'Sup man, I never mentioned that I'm Zhang Jue's disciple, did I? Come at me, BRO!"
Now that seems much in line with the trollish Jing's talents.
Edit: I really think we can get much more mileage out of our social skills with 1B.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Going with Tigranes' idea, but retaining my skill choices, i.e. II,III, and A.
And for the hell of it, can we participate as Kung Pa'o Qik'un? :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Kipeci - I, IV / B
Smashing Axe - I, II / A
ScubaV - II, IV / B
TOME - I, III / B
XenomorphII - II, III / A
Zero Credibility - I, II / B
Kashmir Slippers - I, IV / B
Baltika9 - I, IV / B
Azira - I, IV / B
Jester - I, II / B
Tigranes - I, IV / A
Nevill - I, IV / A
Bloodshifter - II, IV / A
Ifeex - I, II / A
Stygian Lurker - I, IV / B
Esquilax - I, IV / A
Grimgravy - II / B
ERYFKRAD - II, III / A

Current tally:

I - 12
II - 9
III - 4
IV - 10

A - 8
B - 10

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When do the votes close? I can flop to II from IV to help resolve the tie.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
So close. :( Hoping ScubaV or someone checks in before votes close, I think all the good arguments have already been made for both sides.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
TOME's contingency flop will put II tied with IV. I'll check back in 2 or 3 hours and decide what to do then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll be locking the second choice at B first to prepare the update while you guys figure out whether you prefer sleight-of-hand or drinking.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Luoyang City

Luoyang is one of the largest cities in the lands ruled by the great Tang, and has been a capital for the countless dynasties that preceded it. You had been here only once or twice before – along with Chang’an, Hangzhou and Yangzhou, it was one of the few cities that could boast of more than a million citizens living within and around its walls.

You arrive by boat, travelling along the Grand Canal, the great project of the Sui Dynasty that linked Chang’an to Beijing in the northeast and also flowed down south, connecting to Yangzhou and Hangzhou. The city appears to be in a lively mood due to the upcoming tournament. Pugilists from all over the land throng the streets, publicly carrying weapons without fear. The city’s guard are an insignificant presence. They could not be counted upon to keep the peace; order was maintained by the mere word of the Eight Sects, such was their influence.

And all this, in the second largest capital of the Empire.

The classics had taught you that order was established by mandate from Heaven, and that the Emperor of the day was the only figure in the entire world that has received that mandate. Although the Eight Sects paid homage to His Imperial Majesty’s rule, you get the feeling that it may not be more than lip service. You begin to understand why Shun had been concerned about the pugilists. Though, to be fair, from your observations thus far the government has been rather ineffectual in establishing any semblance of order far from the cities – the central officials only cared if taxes were paid and grain was collected. At least the orthodox sects protected the communities close to them from bandits and other miscreants.

You are not here today to write a political treatise, however.

“Hello, dear innkeeper,” you bow slightly obsequiously. “Would you have a room available? I have been asking all along the street and it seems that I just haven’t had any luck.” Due to the tournament, every single inn in the city appears to be packed full of visitors. You had visited nearly twenty six establishments, and none of them had any room for you.

“Sorry, son,” smiles the proprietor. “No luck for you here either. I don’t think you’ll be finding any rooms at this time of the month, not with the competition about to start.”

You give him a polite nod and back out of the inn. If you had arrived earlier things could be different, but that unfortunate caravan accident had been a source of major delay. You just might have to spend the nights in some back street somewhere, where the vagrants and beggars slept. Alternatively you could look for cheaper lodgings near the brothels, where the uptight orthodox sects may be less keen to travel. As you head down the street, trying to keep an eye out for any inn around, you spot a group of young nuns coming towards you, dressed in the costume of Emei. The heavens just won’t give you a break.

The preachy nun is with them. There is also another girl, with long hair unlike the nuns, looking as striking as her sister now that she’s been forced to clean up. And to think you had just parted ways two weeks ago.

You dart into the nearest alley, almost tripping over a drunk beggar as you do so. With a quick word of apology, you wait within the shadows as Cao’er and Yifang pass by. Cao’er, at least, seems to be looking around for something - or someone – as her eyes keep darting around shyly as if hoping for some rendezvous of destiny. You did tell the Abbess that you might be here before you left the girl.

You shrink back even more, knowing how good her eyesight is. Then, you hear someone behind you whisper in a sultry, low voice, “Master Xu.”

You whip around instinctively, prepared to strike. How could you not have noticed her presence?

A pretty girl dressed in a Miao outfit backs away with her hands put up, smiling sweetly. “Ah, I knew it was you. It has been a long time.”

The heavens truly won’t give you a break. Running away from her would just make things worse.

“Do I know you, miss?” You force a grin onto your face as you confront Chi Qilin yet again. Her hair is tied innocently into two braids this time around, doing nothing to offset her mischievous eyes.

“Ah, that is how it is!” she giggles, her bracelets tinkling. “I’m sorry, I must have gotten the wrong person. I thought you were an old friend of mine. He was a rather memorable person.”

“This old friend of yours must be a rather dashing fellow, if you are in the habit of sneaking up on him like a lover.”

“Oh, he is dashing, all right. Probably dashed his head against the wall as a child.”

“A blockhead like that would never in his life gain fellowship of an esteemed scholars’ institution. What a pity, don’t you think?”

She laughs. “I agree. My old friend is definitely a blockhead. You do not appear to be one, so you cannot be him. So, how do I address you then, the one who seems to look like an old friend of mine, but is actually a stranger?”

“I am Guan Shide, son of the merchant Guan Meng, recently come from Chang’an. It is a pleasure to meet you. How may I have the honour of addressing you?”

“Oh, you may call me Mistress Chi, merchant’s son. I presume you are here to participate in the tournament?”

“Perhaps. My father managed to procure an invite for me, and he thought it would do me some good to experience this event. What is your story, Mistress Chi?”

“The same, actually. My father decided this would be a good test of my abilities since I disappointed him in a previous test,” she shrugs. “So, I’ve actually been following you from inn to inn for a while now. Having trouble finding a place to stay?”

It seems that though you know a lot about hiding and sneaking in the wilderness, being able to detect someone tracking you in a crowded city is another matter. You will have to improve on that aspect starting from today – it would be good to take advantage of Luoyang’s crowdedness.

“Yes, there does not seem to be many places left,” you reply.

“Coincidentally, I have a spare room. My uncle was to come with me, but urgent matters of business dictated that he give this tournament a miss at the last minute. It is already paid for and the stupid innkeeper said he would take the room back but not refund it, so I decided to leave it as it is.”

She smiles slyly. “You definitely wouldn’t be interested in that room, I’m sure.”

“Of course. There is no such thing as a free lunch,” you say.

“My family’s first motto is, ‘profit determines allies’. We don’t do anything for free, and everyone knows it. Money will do fine.” She peers at you. “You are a rich merchant’s son, are you not?” You have made some money on your way here from dispensing herbs and selling cheap medicines, so you were not exactly impoverished.

“I would prefer searching on my own for a little while longer, Mistress Chi,” you say. You would like to stay away from her if you could. Who knows what manner of snakes she has hidden in the room as a pleasant surprise for you? Though truth be told, snake gall bladders have proven to be good for your inner strength, and you are running low on stock…

“Suit yourself. I’m at the Tanxiang Inn. You’ll know where to find me,” she smiles.

After your unfortunate encounter with Chi Qilin, you proceed to the red lantern district. While searching for a place to stay, you pass by a group of extremely confused and uncomfortable young Shaolin monks who seem to have wandered in and gotten lost in the maze of narrow streets and waving courtesans.

A. You help them find a way out. Their predicament might be funny, but you are not without sympathy.

B. You ignore them. You do not want to interact with anyone more than is necessary.

In the end, even the cheap inns near the brothels are full. It looks like your options are between the street, or seeking out Chi Qilin.

A. You stay in the street, bunking down with the homeless. You are sure to begin to stink, but you would prefer to tough it out on your own, and it still affords you some measure of anonymity. It should not be harsher than living in the jungle. On the downside, your attempted disguise as a merchant’s son would have to be changed to a wandering vagrant boy while hoping no one in the city recognizes you asking after inns. No son of a merchant would slum with the homeless.

B. You rent the room from Chi Qilin. She definitely knows who you are, and it might be more pragmatic to work with her on this where you can keep an eye on her, rather than allow her to cook up tricks behind your back. She is no orthodox pugilist, that much you are sure from the way she does not declare her affiliation like any good orthodox disciple would do. Besides, you might be able to pick up some tips from her about sneaking around a city.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
AB.

Lady Ji seemed to imply that there was some kind of fate that ties us and Qilin. I tend to believe her with these things. I can only hope that the said fate won't pit us against each other, though we might have missed the train to befriend the girl when we went with the Southern Maniac.

We came anonimously to maximize our chances at interaction. So interact we will, making acquaintances among orthodox and unorthodox types alike.

I an also concerned with how Qilin got her hands on the Emei outfit.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We camr anonimously to maximize our chances at interaction. So interact we will, making acquaintances among orthodox and unorthodox types alike.

Also known as, "trying to have your cake and eat it too."

Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here. We use our anonymous identity so that we can fly under the radar and figure out what flaws we can exploit among the students of the Eight Sects, both physical and psychological. We aren't as concerned with making unorthodox contacts, we're concerned with making orthodox contacts so that we can succeed in Zhang's challenge. Making friends is useful, but it's useful only insofar as it allows us to achieve victory. So if we're trying to acquaint ourselves with a few Shaolin types, living with Tulu Huodu's niece isn't the best way of going about it.

Oh, and I would expect the price that Chi Qilin's father sets to be something more than simply money. His brother is one of the Five Greats, so I am fairly certain that this is a man who values knowledge more than he does gold. Chi Qilin was right there when we brazenly walked up to the Southern Maniac, and staying with her risks her discovering why we're hiding our identity.

The obvious answer here is AA. Make a few Shaolin contacts, ignore the unorthodox world for the brief time that we're here. Don't try to do a million things at once, and don't accept a free lunch.

Esquilax

Arcane
Bandwagoning rears its ugly head. We're here to infiltrate the orthodox sects, Chil Qilin isn't our concern. Plus, there are some perks to being a street rat:

It seems that though you know a lot about hiding and sneaking in the wilderness, being able to detect someone tracking you in a crowded city is another matter. You will have to improve on that aspect starting from today – it would be good to take advantage of Luoyang’s crowdedness.

We've just had a couple of close encounters right now. Knowing the streets means we know what places to avoid so we don't end up running into someone who knows our face.

This way, we're also more likely to come in contact with a Beggar or two. This is important: the beggars aren't competing, but they are placing bets on the fighters in the tournament. If there's anybody who can give a decent "who's who" of potential champions, it's them. Fuck the offer to stay at the inn, we'll get a lot more from the streets.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Oh, and I would expect the price that Chi Qilin's father sets to be something more than simply money. His brother is one of the Five Greats, so I am fairly certain that this is a man who values knowledge more than he does gold.
If that doen't satisfy the definition of interaction with the unorthodox world, I don't know what does.

In any case, ignoring the invitation would be unwise.

Edit: Ouch. You have changed the vote. Forget what I said then.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Esquilax, think going street might affect our "cover" and such? That's what concerns me about AA now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom