Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
All I'll say is, if you don't want to tempt fate, don't use Zhang Jue's name.

But I'm leaving the choice there for the ballsy.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shu Ji > Dancing Pig > Man Tiger Pig

Why is there no Flying Pig? :(

And I just noticed Rong Zhiyu was one of the options. Is there a narrative purpose behind it? (Boo! Boo!)

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I have no particular preference for either choice, Baltika9. But I guess I'll flop to C1 (Zhang Jue) > C2 (Nameless the Second) - really the name in C2 doesn't matter as much so long as it's not going to use Zhang Jue. There isn't that much of a difference in B2 and C2, because the guys we're fighting still know we've got a mask on and who we really are. It's very similar, really.

All of this subterfuge is pretty useless if someone is able to sense, and recall our unique qi.

Yeah, Cao'er, of course. But we know she'll be a good girl and shut the fuck up. She showed some surprising tact in Songfeng by not bringing up the poison publicly.

I'm curious B2 voters, have you thought far enough ahead to consider how we would fight if B2 wins? Whatever we do, people will remember our face for whenever our true identity is revealed, even if that doesn't happen until we start challenging young sect fighters. Are you planning to fight poorly and get knocked out early? At least with C2 we have the opportunity to fight well enough to stay in the tournament for awhile without having to use all of our abilities and without anyone connecting our moves to our face.

This is really why C1 is just leagues better than the other choices. That being said, I could see some ability for subterfuge going on if we steal the other fighter's mask:

There are a few other strange competitors, including someone in a tiger’s mask who put himself down as Nameless, but no one expects anything from these weirdos – they appear every year and disappear just as quickly.

If we can snatch this guy's mask while in competition, it would really work to our benefit. I'm not sure if that's even possible yet, but I think that the idea has potential. Really, I am up for anything that allows us to fight in a situation where we know who we're up against, but they don't know who they're up against. I want as many rounds of sparring as possible against our future competitors, and I'm down for any option that facilitates that.

However, I am sure that if we can get this dude's mask as well, most of the voting bloc would be supportive of it, as it wouldn't involve throwing Farmerbro under the bus. Unless of course it turns out that the guy in the tiger mask is a really nice guy who volunteers at the local animal shelter. In that case, we mustn't dream of doing anything so despicable. Stealing this man's mask? How dare you? How fucking dare you? The guy just came here to win some money in the tournament so that he could donate it all to the animal shelter anonymously (that's why he was wearing the mask in the first place, btw), but now you heartless bastards go off and steal it? You're all worse than Zhang!

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Yeah, Cao'er, of course. But we know she'll be a good girl and shut the fuck up. She showed some surprising tact in Songfeng by not bringing up the poison publicly.
Funny, I've always attributed this one to self-preservation, not tact.

Esquilax said:
If we can snatch this guy's mask while in competition, it would really work to our benefit.
How come? How do you intend to change the masks in plain sight?

Esquilax said:
However, I am sure that if we can get this dude's mask as well, most of the voting bloc would be supportive of it, as it wouldn't involve throwing Farmerbro under the bus.
True. But please explain what are you going to do with the mask first.

Kashmir Slippers said:
I'd be willing to switch to C2 if we use the nerves argument. I don't think it will make a difference.
Was that a flop? I definitely heard someone say "flop". :D

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
ScubaV said:
I'm curious B2 voters, have you thought far enough ahead to consider how we would fight if B2 wins?
You might as well address that to C2 voters, because if we play it how we picture it, there won't be a difference.

Nope. The update doesn't actually say we will run around the locker room without a mask. We could take that option or not, but in B it's a foregone conclusion. Otherwise, there's not much difference between C2 and B2. Unfortunately, they are both half-measures. The full measure is C1, but some people can't commit to a character concept without Ean-like morality.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Stealing this man's mask? How dare you? How fucking dare you? The guy just came here to win some money in the tournament so that he could donate it all to the animal shelter anonymously (that's why he was wearing the mask in the first place, btw), but now you heartless bastards go off and steal it?
Yes! Yes! Feel the power of butthurt like I felt it after the night in Qingcheng! :P

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck it. Balls to the motherfucking wall. C2, Zhang Jue.
Calling the lulz brigade.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
Zhang will be extremely amused
Does he have any other reaction to anything?

Boredom. Which is worse, because then he'll find ways to be amused. :lol:
Wait, don't tell me he only has two moods.
Not_Amused.png

...Let's keep him amused, then.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, treave, would we be able to remove our mask, declare ourselves as Zhang's disciple and receive credit for trouncing the best students of some schools that we've beaten even if we register under something goofy right now?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, especially if you beat them without using any techniques at all. LWC1996 had a previous post on this which was rather spot on. You do not get to usually challenge the best disciples without first proving yourself. They won't let any nameless kook come and fight their prized students, even if he is ranting about being the Southern Maniac's disciple. They'll just send out weaker ones until they get a good measure of your level (and your techniques).

The tournament, however, is a different matter - here they must fight.

Nevill

Arcane
Winning the tournament. Zhang thought it was possible, and so did Jing. But we all know Jing.

treave said:
You sigh. “I presume you are sending me to this competition?”

“Yes. I do not require victory, however.”

At this, you are surprised. You would have expected that Master Zhang would have demanded you demolish the opposition at all costs. Zhang laughs again. “Oh, that look on your face is precious. I fully expect that you are able to seize victory. I just don’t require that you do so. As I said, this is your vacation.”

Nevill

Arcane
Okay. Never thought I'll ever end up in a lulz brigade.

C2, Zhang Jue. Now in the lead as well.

Edit: flopped back to Man Tiger Pig

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Winning the tournament. Zhang thought it was possible, and so did Jing. But we all know Jing.

Well, I can't say, because the characters' assessment is all you have.

But Zhang should know you can't win this particular tournament by killing your way to the finals. He isn't that mad.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Which in turn implies that he thinks you can win without doing anything lethal and holding back, because killing gets you disqualified and thus precludes victory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom