Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Choosing A would mean Jing got direct experience with the style though. Watching it in action is a different thing, but we might want to avoid drawing too much attention just yet, if we plan on Jing actually winning this thing.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's not just the four guys we'd want to watch, we would want to know what the Sword Saint's disciple has up his sleeve, too. Considering that we might fight each other, that would seem to be a good idea. However, I think I'm just inclined towards picking the option to fight.

I'm going to go ahead and flop to A > B.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm hoping the people currently voting for C will flop to A or B. A will give us first-hand experience as well as credit with Zhang, while B will allow us to observe them and the disciple of the Sword Saint (whom we may fight later) while keeping our talents relatively secret for later use in the tournament. C just appears to be a weaker muddle of both.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
C is the obvious safe option. Honestly, if I was sure Murong Yandi could handle it, I would have gone for B straight.

If we are forced out of the game with A, then who is left on our team? As much as I like Guo and Qilin, they are rather poor fighters. Which is why I am hesitand about D, too.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm not clear on rules here. If they KO Murong or push him out of the ring, do we lose as a team? Or are we just one member short for the remainder of the fight?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
All of you will need to be out to lose. Feel free to ask for more details on each choice if you guys need it.

D > C

I'm a team player. A doesn't sound like something we can pull without the full use of our techniques, and that would give away the game too early for my taste.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, if Jing defeats another of the Taishan Power Rangers down the road in this tournament, will it count or does he have to defeat the four right now for Zhang?

D>C for me as well.

Kipeci

Arcane
Honestly, if I was sure Murong Yandi could handle it, I would have gone for B straight.
I don't know about that. He was able to handle them all attacking at once at the start without them landing so muchas a blow on him, and now it appears that he's getting serious. He seems like the kind of guy who isn't prone to boasting and overconfidence, at least not if he can't back it up, and the rest of us could still rush in if he starts having trouble. 8 Agility that could be further buffed means that we'd be on the scene pretty fast.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What matters for the challenge really isn't so much as merely defeating everyone, but making them (and the court of public opinion) acknowledge you're their better. The latter is the more important part. Fighting is of course the simplest way, but not always the only way.

Anyway, with regards to Taishan (and the other sects) you would have to defeat them at their best for them to acknowledge defeat. That would mean taking on the full seven-man formation by yourself since that's what they are known for. Of course, it's a start if you dismantle their four-man formation solo in full view of everyone else. Even if they don't admit defeat yet, you'll begin to sway public opinion towards you being better.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I say we let Murong deal with them while we observe their techniques. B.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Does winning here get us through the stage or is there another team match first? If the latter, do any of our team rung out get to participate in the next match?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C>A

Let's get some experience with our opponents, whilst staying somewhat anonymous with the support of the swordsman.

Nevill

Arcane
Let's do a quick review of Choices&Consequences

A.
+ We gain fame and a lot of attention. Defeating 4 of the Heroic Youths alone is no mean feat.
+ We defeat 4 of our marks for the purposes of Zhang's mission
+ We get a first-hand experience of what Taishan Sect is capable of.
- Attention is a dual-edged sword. We will probably lose our 'merchant noob' identity.
- Too much risk. This is a team game, and 4-on-1 are not good odds. If we lose personally, we might fail our team, too, since we are one of their best fighters, along with Murong Yandi.
- treave just mentioned that they also have a technique relying on Pressure Points. It is meant to be performed by 7 people, but so is Qixing Beitou Formation. Even if we succeed, we risk revealing our invulnerability to this attack type to everyone present.

B.
+ We avoid attention and keep to the shadows.
+ We get to observe, though not experience, the techniques of both Yandi and Taishan sect.
- Too much risk. This is a team game, and 4-on-1 are not good odds. If Yandi loses, we might fail as a team. Yandi have shown us that he is good at defense, but his offensive capabilities are yet unknown.

C.
+ We trounce them with minimal effort. Jing and Yandi can hold them off by themselves, but together they can finally go on the offensive.
+ The attention would be split between us and Yandi. We might be able to explain our victory away by letting him take all the credit. Something tells me that he is going to do so anyway.
- We won't gain much information or fame for this action, but we get to progress further.

D.
+ Teambuilding. Our team can use some.
+ Guo Fu gets his chance to shine.
+ We avoid attention and keep to the shadows.
- Our team coordination is far worse than those of our opponent's. We might hamper each other's efforts.

Of these, C seems the safest bet. I am not too concerned with laying low, so I like the sound of A, fame-wise, but it carries too much risk (since the Pressure Points immunity is one of our top secrets), and its other benefits are debatable. Yes, we defeat 4 of Heroic Youths, but does it mean they won't fight us if we challenge the other 3? They act like a unit, afrer all. Then again, if it does, it sounds like a good way to split them. But nah, too much uncertainity.

Edit: and treave pretty much confirmed that we'll have to defeat all 7 of them at once anyway.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Does winning here get us through the stage or is there another team match first? If the latter, do any of our team rung out get to participate in the next match?

You'll need to fight two other teams, but they're definitely weaker than this opponent. All team members can participate even if rung out.

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, I must have misread. Yeah, swarming a single person with 7 people doesn't sound very orthodox, now that I think about it.

All the more reason not to tempt fate with A.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm fairly certain that none of the options here lead to defeat in this match. Even if they manage to overcome Murong, they still need to defeat Jing backed up by the farmer and Qilin. Question here is what do we want to accomplish. Is it bro-points with the team, bro-points with Murong, fame or do we opt to stay in shadows while we observe Murong's and Taishan's techniques? In my opinion A is worst choice here. We could have achieved the same a few updates back by announcing we are Zhang's apprentice.

Kipeci

Arcane
The arguments presented are enough to have me flop to B. I don't think Murong will lose this, and if it starts looking dodgy we can shore him up later. I don't think that D is too great of an idea; it will probably annoy Murong that we don't trust him to do well on his own when he's clearly demonstrated he can take all of them on at once without much issue and irritate our poisoner as she's thrust into the fight instead of skulking back.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If we have to fight all 7 later anyway, A seems pointless and risky.
B sounds good. We get to see two of our opponents' styles, but I could see Murong Yandi losing. They've got him worked up. Then it's our three vs however many they have left.
C and D sound similar. We should win either way, but Murong Yandi will probably be butthurt.

D>C Murong Yandi should be less butthurt here. It is a team challenge afterall. Plus I want Guo to get to participate.

Kipeci

Arcane
What is so important about Guo for this? He's already participated and held his own for a while. It suits our interests to scope ou the disciple of the Sword Saint, as I highly doubt that he is as fragile as all of you appear to be claiming when he was earlier holding off all of them at once while we were taunting him. Let's see his offensive game now so that we won't be surprised when he uses it on us later-- if it turns out that it's all puff and no real substance, we can still swoop in with the others to even the odds later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom