Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

kazgar

Arcane
I guess with someone pretending to be us, we can't win the tournament and reveal ourselves? Or should we win the tournament and reveal ourselves to prove we aren't the people pretending to be us?

curiouser and curiouser.

Because that longer term goal should affect what we do now.

Also, are any of the 8 sect heads we actually need to beat for our current goal set by our master fighting in the brackets? Should we watch them instead of worrying about a) the next match or b) some plot we don't fully understand right now? Or too busy trying to be ean and save the world?

Baltika9

Arcane
The whole problem with the WiBs is that they interfere with all our goals:
Announcing our identity becomes much more problematic if we let them pin their dirty deeds on us, the real disciple of Zhang Jue, which will directly interfere with Zhang's challenge, on account of us being on the run from both the authorities and orthodox sects.
The WiBs are also the reason we set out from the palace on Shun's mission, so that ties into it as well.
Lastly, I'm just not too keen on being a victim of their manipulations.
Also, are any of the 8 sect heads we actually need to beat for our current goal set by our master fighting in the brackets?
It's the top sect students we need to defeat in this tournament, not the sect heads, bro. That would have been simply insane, even by Zhang's standards.
That will be our next challenge from him.
:troll:

Kipeci

Arcane
I think going off on our own to go after them was a mistake. At least if we'd spent our time with Cao'er she could have been a witness to our not being on the other side of the arena stabbing someone or something, we just need to prove that we weren't the person regardless of maniacs running around. There's nothing we can really do about them for the moment, so we may as well try to boost our chances against the people we're most likely to have a hard time with (while I have no doubt that we can take most people here down, it's another thing entirely to do it without inflicting harm using our dangerous techniques) so we should really focus on that right now, especially since we already wasted time going after these chumps and getting injured only for the sake of confirming that they were the Yuhua Hall hooligans.

I really doubt that we would find anything incriminating in the match-up of two people. What would Cao'er see? A fixed match? What in the world would we do with that information? I really had hoped that this "we need to drop what we're doing RIGHT NOW and investigate for Shulgi's doings or we'll be a tool for Shulgi!!!1!" thing would have dropped off.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think going off on our own to go after them was a mistake. At least if we'd spent our time with Cao'er she could have been a witness to our not being on the other side of the arena stabbing someone or something, we just need to prove that we weren't the person regardless of maniacs running around. There's nothing we can really do about them for the moment, so we may as well try to boost our chances against the people we're most likely to have a hard time with (while I have no doubt that we can take most people here down, it's another thing entirely to do it without inflicting harm using our dangerous techniques) so we should really focus on that right now, especially since we already wasted time going after these chumps and getting injured only for the sake of confirming that they were the Yuhua Hall hooligans.

I really doubt that we would find anything incriminating in the match-up of two people. What would Cao'er see? A fixed match? What in the world would we do with that information? I really had hoped that this "we need to drop what we're doing RIGHT NOW and investigate for Shulgi's doings or we'll be a tool for Shulgi!!!1!" thing would have dropped off.
The point of sicking our 10 PER sister on them is that she'll be able to spot the small details, like mannerisms, tattoos, marks or injuries, that will help us pick the WiBs out of the crowd and shadow them in the city, greatly helping our investigation. And, no, we can do a lot about them if we just can follow them and gather information: get in touch with the Abbess and put her on guard, bring down their ambushes in the streets or just sick the authorities on them. The mere fact that they are using our name and reputation for their plans makes us their victim, and that is a bad position for a guy with no influential friends to be in.

And everyone is a tool of Shulgi here, even the Emperor.

Kipeci

Arcane
I can say right now that I don't give a single shit about pursuing this further until the tournament is over or something changes up mightily. Traipsing all over town to nail a couple of guys slandering our already dark name at the cost of the competition won't really do anything; there's more where they came from, possibly in other cities a distance away doing the same thing where we can't get them for whatever purpose they have. If we hurt someone in the course of the competition accidentally because we've been wasting time following these guys instead of preparing ourselves against challenging foes or tuning up our fighting skills, then their mission is accomplished even if we managed to sic the authorities on them. (Which, if they're halfway worth their salt, won't even matter. The central authorities are super corrupt/incompetent, and it's already been established that criminals with their nonsense together have no problem getting right back out of jails.) We can alert the Abbess, yeah, but there's nothing to stop that from happening now with our current level of information on them.

Baltika9

Arcane
The tournament is a completely optional event, though, nobody in the world really gives a shit if we lose, even Zhang. The WiBs are The Big Picture, they are Jing's Big Goal, the whole reason we were sent out on this mission for Shun (besides which, they dared lay a hand on our dear waifu). Damn right I want to investigate and bring them down ASAP, any plot they're up to here isn't good for anyone's health, especially the Empire's. You speak of "not saving the world," but for now, Jing is still very much loyal to the Prince and, by extension, the State (hopefully it won't be that way forever). Everything about them, for personal and professional reasons, is our business.
Winning the tournament and troll-taunting the students into an all-on-one challenge is just a nice bonus, but not a lot of skin off our backs if we don't get it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It looks like the winning votes are

Xu Jing -
Gu Dipeng vs Yifang - 1111111111111

Cao'er-
Gu Dipeng vs Yifang - 111111111
Nameless vs Shapeless - 111111
Xumao vs Faceless - 111
Jixuan Wuni vs Nie Mudan - 11
Li Mao vs Murong Yandi - 1
Yiling vs Man Tiger Pig - 11

Kipeci

Arcane
The tournament is a completely optional event, though, nobody in the world really gives a shit if we lose, even Zhang. The WiBs are The Big Picture, they are Jing's Big Goal, the whole reason we were sent out on this mission for Shun (besides which, they dared lay a hand on our dear waifu). Damn right I want to investigate and bring them down ASAP, any plot they're up to here isn't good for anyone's health, especially the Empire's. You speak of "not saving the world," but for now, Jing is still very much loyal to the Prince and, by extension, the State (hopefully it won't be that way forever). Everything about them, for personal and professional reasons, is our business.
Winning the tournament and troll-taunting the students into an all-on-one challenge is just a nice bonus, but not a lot of skin off our backs if we don't get it.

I'm not saying that we don't investigate this matter, I'm just saying that we don't do it until the tournament is over so that we can focus on taking care of targets that we'd need to get to anyway later on. If we can shave months off of walking around China and challenging the schools by knocking some heads together here, we can dedicate the extra time to a real investigation of Yuhua Hall. Your suggestion here nets us a possibility of identifiable tattoos or other features if it works perfectly, but what importance is that? These guys are low-importance grunts, they're not the head of the operation and won't get us much of anywhere. Wasting time to go after them here will cost us in the time to go after the big targets when we could launch an actual investigation of our own. Incidentally, I didn't say anything about not saving the Prince or being loyal to the state, not sure where you're dredging that up from... for that matter, I've never been a fan on your taunt into an all-on-one match "strategy".

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave said:
Then, you will have the pleasure of interrogating them… those that survive, at least.
treave, I was meant to ask, is it just a figure of speech you used, or does Jing derive pleasure from a forceful interrogation? We knew he was a killer already, yes, but that would be news. It is as if he eagerly anticipates torturing them.

Kipeci said:
I'm just saying that we don't do it until the tournament is over
By the time the tournament is over, their plot concerning the tournament and our name might be over as well, and something tells me we are not going to like the direction they are going to take it. We may have to intercept them before that.

What big targets you are talking to? What investigation of our own? The opportunity to investigate have just fallen into our hands after 3 years of neglect, and we are in a perfect position to do so, with our identity unknown to them. Do you think we will have a better chance even if we go to the Yuhua Hall? Will there necessarily be a plot in the making, waiting for us to expose it? I don't think so.

These guys may be grunts, yes (although I wouldn't call people who can go toe to toe with the best youths the pugilistic world has to offer 'grunts'), but they can lead us to their masters if we catch them.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
for that matter, I've never been a fan on your taunt into an all-on-one match "strategy".
Bah, what kind of Tujue Tigerkhagan are we if we can't take on twenty people by ourselves on a chosen battlefield? A shameful one, that's what. We're a goddamned legend in the making, this should be nothing for us.
:rpgcodex:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave said:
Then, you will have the pleasure of interrogating them… those that survive, at least.
treave, I was meant to ask, is it just a figure of speech you used, or does Jing derive pleasure from a forceful interrogation? We knew he was a killer already, yes, but that would be news. It is as if he eagerly anticipates torturing them.

It's more of the information that he anticipates, not torture. The outcome, not the process. He's a bit like a hound that's gotten a sniff of its quarry, getting excited. As for torturing, he's not beyond breaking a few bones to get some answers, but nothing too sadistic beyond that.

Kipeci

Arcane
By the time the tournament is over, their plot concerning the tournament and our name might be over as well, and something tells me we are not going to like the direction they are going to take it. We may have to intercept them before that.

And it may be that we have to resort to our nastier techniques to win in the coming fights due to spending all of our time trying to see if Faceless and Nameless marked themselves instead of improving on our own style, resulting in us breaking someone's arm or spine and getting thrown out regardless of whatever plot is going on. These are both hypotheticals, what's the chance of one being more right than the other? If we'd gotten Cao'er to observe our own match, at least in the other hypothetical of us being thrown out we'd have some skills to stay with us.

What big targets you are talking to? What investigation of our own? The opportunity to investigate have just fallen into our hands after 3 years of neglect, and we are in a perfect position to do so, with our identity unknown to them.

There's obviously something big going on at Yuhua Hall with the number of people who can use their palm technique, so that's an excellent place to start (and there will be bigger fish there than these guys sent out here). Our identity is almost certainly the same there as it is here, so that's not a factor.

Do you think we will have a better chance even if we go to the Yuhua Hall? Will there necessarily be a plot in the making, waiting for us to expose it? I don't think so.

Uh, yes? What makes you think looking hard to see if these guys share a common tattoo outweighs going to what appears to be their home base? If they've had a plan going on for this long, I highly doubt that a handful of girls skulking around a youth tournament is going to be the culmination of all they've been going for.
These guys may be grunts, yes (although I wouldn't call people who can go toe to toe with the best youths the pugilistic world has to offer 'grunts'), but they can lead us to their masters if we catch them.

Or we could just cut out the intermediary step and go to their hall ourselves, which gives less chances for these sneaky folks to make a secret signal for help, run off, ambush us, etc. And these people are grunts, make no mistake-- consider that the one treave placed at 'midboss' rank was able to demolish a Tujue master with no problem. Bosses aren't the guys out in the field running around in silly disguises.
Bah, what kind of Tujue Tigerkhagan are we if we can't take on twenty people by ourselves on a chosen battlefield? A shameful one, that's what. We're a goddamned legend in the making, this should be nothing for us.

We need better strength than a mere 8 for that, and certainly better endurance. If only there was some sort of action we could have taken to boost those two... [/butthurt]

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, random question: who was the previous Southern Great before Zhang killed him, his affiliation and specialties?
We need better strength than a mere 8 for that, and certainly better endurance. If only there was some sort of action we could have taken to boost those two... [/butthurt]
If anything, our current skillset will be even better for such a challenge: we can lure them into a deep forest/jungle/forested mountain and go to town, Alien vs Predator style, dividing them through the woods and systematically annihilating them from ambushes. We'll need to be really prepared for that one, though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Match One: Yiling

The crowd roars with laughter when you are introduced. You step onto the stage with your mask firmly in place, casually waving both your hands in the air. The Emei nun, Yiling, is scowling at you, her sword at the ready. From what you have heard, she is a couple of years older than you and this could be her last youth tournament. Yiling will be taking this match seriously – she is out to win it.

The tournament official raises his flag, signalling for the fighters to get ready. The both of you settle into a stance – she keeps her sword close to her body but pointed upwards, in the typical Emei fashion. You leave your sword tucked into the sash again, deciding to adopt a basic fighting stance; fists balled and raised.

“Are you underestimating me?’ asks the nun, slightly perturbed that you don’t seem to take her seriously enough to adopt a proper stance. You shake your head vigorously but say nothing in return, causing her to frown.

The flag falls, and the gong is sounded.

The nun begins stepping sideways warily as she tries to find a weakness in your position. You turn to follow her, keeping her within your field of vision at all times. The mask limits your view, and you will have to be more careful when fighting with it on.

Cao’er has said that this particular nun is not as skilled as Yifang, but that means little to you. You had watched Yifang’s match with Gu Dipeng of Kunlun. Her moves were precise and executed without hesitation, a far cry from her fearful performance against the bandits. However, you did not realize what it truly meant until Cao’er told you that Yifang’s skill in the Emei swordplay, the Qingcheng Stab (倾城刺, Alluring Stab) was perfect. Apparently, she does every move flawlessly, unerringly, purely as it is supposed to be; speaking solely in terms of that particular technique she has reached the level of a master. The Emei swordplay is comprehensive enough to provide a basic solution for most situations – in a tournament setting such as this, the relatively inexperienced fighters that make up most of the participants would get their defenses pried open and defeated in just a few moves. The Kunlun disciple had fallen within three minutes.

You understand what it will take for you to beat Yifang, should you advance that far. You would have to think of a way to defeat the Qingcheng Stab. The Emei swordplay will be your real enemy, not its wielder. Cao’er had noted that Yifang executes all the moves by rote, with no variation of her own.

This match against Yifang’s senior will be a good way to test it.

You graciously allow Yiling to make the first move.

With a single bounce the nun closes the distance, demonstrating her skill with Emei’s qinggong. The jabs and stabs come rapidly from all angles; Yiling appears to be a more forceful fighter than Yifang, putting more strength behind her blows. You duck and evade her attacks with sheer speed, but find no opening to retaliate without using your techniques. Just when you think you can strike back, Yiling would twist her body around gracefully and follow up with a thrust that keeps you off balance. Rather than swordplay, it would be more fitting for an onlooker to call it a sword dance.

You can do nothing but step back for the moment. A few more seconds of this and you would be stepping off the stage. The nun’s face is still serious, determined not to let her guard down until you have lost. You can hear the crowd continuing to laugh. It looks like you are living down to their expectations.

“Stop running, pig!” shouts a heckler.

“Stay still and get stuck!” laughs another man.

You tilt your head from side-to-side, wiggling the floppy pig’s ears in acknowledgement and eliciting another round of raucous laughter.

There’s nothing left to do but to take a riskier approach. The tournament swords are blunted; they won’t cut you apart, but a strong attack will still hurt. Stepping into the path of the nun’s strikes, you lunge forward. The sword scrapes your side painfully – that is going to leave a mark – but you surprise Yiling long enough to land a light kick in her abdomen.

The crowd gasps as she staggers back. You take a stance again, while Yiling looks at the tournament official and the panel of observers from the Eight Sects – you see Miecao amongst them. The official shakes his head; that would not have been a lethal hit even if it had been a real sword. You are still allowed to fight.

Yiling closes her eyes, muttering some prayers. When she turns back to you, she is calmer, falling back into the standard Emei stance. In a split second she resumes the match, stabbing at you faster than before. You begin to perceive slips in her technique, as she begins to get hasty. Leaping over a low thrust from the nun, you throw a quick jab at an opening. She is forced to block it – you can see her wince as your fist hits her arm. You land with both feet on her sword while she is distracted, forcing it from her grasp. With a sweeping backhand you force the nun away, long enough for you to kick up her sword, grab it, and point it at her.

The crowd is shouting in disbelief now, as angry punters begin screaming at the heavens. With a scowl, Yiling pounces at you, attempting to retrieve her sword. Moving quickly, you keep it from her grasp, shifting the sword from hand to hand in between defending against her attacks. Seeing no way to grab it from you, she steps on your foot hard, pinning it to the ground. Then, she makes to reach for her sword again. You toss it in the air, over her head.

To your surprise, she ignores it, going after the sword tucked at your waist. Your hand intercepts her just as her fingers close around the hilt. Grabbing the nun by the wrist, you spin her about before she can draw your sword. Yiling makes use of the opening to withdraw, twirling back to where her sword has fallen and picking it back up in one fluid movement.

You put one hand on your piggy chin, posing in a thinking position. The crowd is silent, waiting with bated breath to see what you will do next.

After exchanging blows with Yiling, and with your experience facing Emei techniques, you think you might be able to overcome the Qingcheng Stab, though it would definitely require you to use your own techniques to have a chance of succeeding.

A. You utilize the Shouwang Claws. Instead of using your fingers to rend flesh, you will use it to grasp weapons and wrest them from the enemy. You would have to devise a new form of movement to intercept the Qingcheng Stab successfully, but as the weapon is blunted at least you won’t be losing your fingers if you fail.

B. You perform the Chuzhan Fist, changing your target to hit the opponent’s hands and arms instead of their body, as the technique was originally meant to do. You would have to control your strength to avoid breaking her limbs as your aim is to attack with just enough force that their hands will be numbed by your attack, leaving them unable to grasp a sword or even form a fist.

C. You had almost broken the Emei’s Guihe Formation with your sword; Abbess Miecao had left behind a sentence of advice for you then. A fish hiding in water is closer than it looks. You think you can apply that saying to this situation, developing a sword technique of your own that draws in an opponent and counters their attack.

D. You give up and surrender. You don’t want to attract any more attention than you already have or reveal any of your techniques.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
You understand what it will take for you to beat Yifang, should you advance that far. You would have to think of a way to defeat the Qingcheng Stab. The Emei swordplay will be your real enemy, not its wielder. Cao’er had noted that Yifang executes all the moves by rote, with no variation of her own.

treave, does Yiling perform a variation of the Qingcheng Stab with more of her strength in it? Or is it by rote as well? Also, is Jing stronger than Yiling? I would figure that some time spent fighting her would allow him to figure out if he's got the strength advantage. If it is, it might be easier for us to pry the sword from her with the Shouwang Claws. That would certainly get us some attention - but since the Abbess is watching, she knows that we're here already. Doesn't bother me too much.

I'm not so sure that C is going to work. The advice that the Abbess gave us was related to the Guihe Formation, I don't know how we'll apply that to the Qingcheng Stab - different techniques require different counters. Not voting yet.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Jing is definitely stronger. He should have the strength advantage on anyone at the competition besides Guo Fu. He will also have a speed advantage on most of the other competitors. Yiling's Qingcheng Stab is pretty much the same as Yifang's, just faster at the expense of precision.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not so sure that C is going to work. The advice that the Abbess gave us was related to the Guihe Formation, I don't know how we'll apply that to the Qingcheng Stab - different techniques require different counters. Not voting yet.
Not to mention C relies on us drawing her in for an attack,
C. You had almost broken the Emei’s Guihe Formation with your sword; Abbess Miecao had left behind a sentence of advice for you then. A fish hiding in water is closer than it looks. You think you can apply that saying to this situation, developing a sword technique of your own that draws in an opponent and counters their attack.
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but Yiling appears to be a very creative and adaptive fighter, as demonstrated by her trick to retrieve the swords, so she definitely figured out we're not just some schmuck off the streets and may not be tricked by simple taunts that easily.

Then again, Jing is an awesome troll, I loved how he played his pig situation, so it may work.

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, a few things to keep in mind; we're better at Unarmed combat than we are at swordsmanship. Secondly, the techniques that we possess that we've refined are both Unarmed techniques from Master Zhang:

Shouwang Mad Claws. (獸王狂爪, Mad Claws of the Beast King).
Level 4:
Style One - Golden Lion's Wild Beats - a mixture of swift overhead strikes and low sweeps, attacking with a circular movement.
Style Two - Bloody Diamond Horn - a powerful forward thrust, targeted at the opponent's chest.

Chuzhan Fist (除斬拳, Dividing Sundering Fist).
Level 2:
Style One - The Parched Earth Cracks - a series of rapid, forceful straight punches that aim to keep the opponent off balance.

Obviously, the Shouwang Claws are the technique that we've polished up the most, thanks to it being Zhang's signature technique. Also consider something else: it's far easier to create a variation of a technique based on an existing technique than it is to develop one on-the-fly, which is what we'd be doing with C. The other fact to consider is that we're stronger, so muscling the sword from her grasp is definitely possible.

C would depend on creating a new technique from scratch, like we did against Rong Zhiyu, but I don't think that it will work in this situation.

A is going to work on this one. Of course, the consequence to this is that the Abbess would notice our Shouwang Claws and know right away that we're Zhang's apprentice, but she knew that we were coming here anyways, so this isn't really a problem.

A

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll have to take the bait and take the Abbess' advice here. We might reveal the sword, but what the hey. The Emei already know about it, it'd mean we'd get revealed, but that reveal is coming up soon anyhow.
Besting one of the favourites would be grand, and developing a counter to the Emei technique at the same time? Double-bonus.

C

Esquilax

Arcane
I'll have to take the bait and take the Abbess' advice here. We might reveal the sword, but what the hey. The Emei already know about it, it'd mean we'd get revealed, but that reveal is coming up soon anyhow.
Besting one of the favourites would be grand, and developing a counter to the Emei technique at the same time? Double-bonus.

We're using a blunted sword in the competition, dude.

I don't think that we'll be able to develop a technique from scratch like that. Look at the end of the update:

After exchanging blows with Yiling, and with your experience facing Emei techniques, you think you might be able to overcome the Qingcheng Stab, though it would definitely require you to use your own techniques to have a chance of succeeding.

Now, I think that treave meant that we would have to invent either a new technique or a variation of an existing technique to win the match, but relying on an existing technique that we're already very, very good at is a much better bet than trying to develop a counter to the Qingcheng Stab on the fly as a less skilled swordsman. Now, I now that we managed to develop a counter for the Songfeng style against a better swordsman in Rong Zhiyu, but we also knew the first step of the Songfeng style, and we knew how to exploit his arrogance by taunting him.

This situation is different. I think that C will result in a loss.

Baltika9

Arcane
A is going to work on this one. Of course, the consequence to this is that the Abbess would notice our Shouwang Claws and know right away that we're Zhang's apprentice, but she knew that we were coming here anyways, so this isn't really a problem.

A
Agreed. Any old madman can rend flesh and tear through limbs. Tearing through swords and metal, now that is hardcore.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It wouldn't actually be a new technique with C, but yet another variation. This time you're figuring out your own version of the Yuchang Sword technique that Emei has from the tip that the Abbess gave and also your experiences with their swordplay. So technically it would end up being a variation of an Emei technique.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom