Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    I think I might start ignoring the actual ramifications and start voting on which result I want treave to write.

hmmmm, fight scene or political melodrama.

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I just remembered that Song Lingshu is also a spectator at the moment. So that's another future opponent observing us that we have to worry about.

Yeah, I had already mentioned that the improvement to our sword technique might allow us to work the Deceptive Fish Stab with the crappy tournament training swords that they have here. However, considering that we have such a good understanding of the technique, there are other counters that we can develop too - remember that we could have disarmed Yiling with the Shouwang Claws or the Chuzhan Fist as well. My point was that our experience and understanding of the Qingcheng Stab gives us a really big advantage against Yifang. Nameless is a much bigger threat, because she has the same level of skill, but is a complete unknown to us.

And I think you have the wrong idea when it comes to taking off the mask. During the fight, the mask is the only thing that we should be wearing at all. :smug:

We can reveal that we're Zhang Jue's apprentice before the finals too and claim the credit for the victories we've earned:

Like ScubaV, I believe that we can defeat the likes of Bai Jiutian, Song Lingshu, or Su Liaojing even if they have intel on us. However, if we do decide to go for the championship gold here, we'll definitely have to spend a lot of time reinventing our style so that we can really surprise people the next time that they see us. The Shaolin grappling technique is a good start, but we need more than that if we want to show up as a new and improved, Jing 2.0. One technique isn't enough return for me, because in exchange for that, you'll be revealing two techniques, as well as our unique qinggong and neigong. It took a year and a half of training under Zhang to develop us into a promising young pugilist, so we'd need to set lots of time aside if we want to overhaul our game after the tournament. Maybe if we set aside six entire months to improve our skills further it would help, but we just don't have the time to start replacing our bread-and-butter techniques at this point in the time frame that Zhang gave us.

A trip to Luoying Manor would also definitely be on the to-do list, learning more about the Persians after we defeat them could be another option too if they're the sort that would respect our prowess rather than hold a grudge. But I dunno, I say that if we spent a year and a half fighting tigers on Maniac Island, we should try not to reveal all of our skills over the course of two days.

Qilin failed because she didn't have our help. Her plan was to unmask Nameless, but she couldn't manage it on her own. As for the technique manual, of course it's going to be a big help to us, but we shouldn't be blinded by promises of rewards - it may end up costing us more in the long run. I'm not necessarily opposed to winning the championship, but we have to keep in mind that winning here isn't necessary and that we should just keep in mind our overall goal a year from now. Of course, winning here could help with our long-term goals as well, but as I mentioned earlier, we'd really have to set aside a lot of time and show a new and improved Jing the next time the Eight Sects see us.

As for my love of negative rep, it has more to do with the fact that I place the goal of the challenge above our rep. Unless there's something really dangerous to us like the WiBs attempting to frame us, I'm cool with not giving a shit if the Huashan throw a hissy fit because we disrobed their disciple. Yeah, you don't want to fuck with the wrong people, but trying too hard to please them gets you nowhere.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Well, why not ask the Frathouse Bros for more pointers, tips and tricks? They like us because we're entertaining. Humor them enough and we can request something more than just that one manual.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    ^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A bit hard to strip with one hand, unless you ask for her help. I have something else along similar lines planned though.

^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    We can have a genuine killing intent towards her without killing her? I guess that's technically true, but if our killing intent is genuine (which is the only way it works) we would not be in a mood to leave her uninjured. Bro, I asked about this because I thought we could use it to get the edge on someone in a tournament, but treave's reply made it clear that we can't use our aura if we don't have an intent to kill.

The use of techniques encourages the further development of them, I'd rather that we be more well developed in a particular set of techniques than in assembling a massive collection of relatively mediocre ones that we've never before put to use. Besides that, while A might does have a chance of netting the Shaolin moves, it will certainly give us a boost in swordplay and unarmed, which will be a clear benefit in just about any situation as well as stimulating further development of techniques as we continue to go forth to mastery. Additionally, we won't be revealing our neigong; that was already shown to the crowd, as was a wide range of our other techniques, including all of our sword ones.
    :D

Perhaps more "ask" her help? I can see us maneuvering so that her sword just happens to catch our belt...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A
    I wouldn't mind B either really, but I'm loathe to win that way.

^ Top  
  7. Codexian LARPer decision flow - aka a look inside the mind of a schizophrenic hivemind:

Let's join the tournament and not use our techniques.
    Let's bro up with everyone and maybe we can work as a team. We love Guo Fu! He's Bro Fu lol!
    Now let's leave our "friend" Gou Fu to be attacked by the enemy on his own so we can meet with some people who may give us stuff.
    Let's beat the shit out of Guo Fu using all of our ultra-lethal techniques taught to us by an unrepentant murderer and let's do it in full view of our enemies who will doubtlessly come up with counters for each one of our attacks.

*sigh*
    :avatard:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That's pretty much it.

^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Oh, it does make you wonder why there are even fights between martial artists, doesn't it? It should be a situation where either:

a) Everyone is too busy hiding their techniques to actually fight because letting others see it means defeat as they know how your technique works now.

b) Everyone is countering each other's techniques all day, every day, and each fight eventually ends up being a pointless stalemate of counters.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Or person who made counter don't posses enough stats to pull it being seriously outclassed.
    It could be that person dont have enough wits, perception, experience to start developing counter.

When next update is scheduled?

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Might as well ask, why do governments spend millions in military weapons research, when it boils down to an arms race and who has counters to what, and who has counters to those too; or why merchants try to outclass/undercut/marginalize their competitors. Or why farmers try to grow more/better/both. No conflict, no progress.

Hell, maybe we are overanalyzing and overthinking this shit. Yeah, having long-terms is good, but being paralyzed by them isn't. For a guy like Jing, to whom shit simply happens, maybe it's not a great idea to treat him like Senya/Shulgi.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I had a bit of free time, so, now.

Baltika9 - A
    Esquilax - B
    Zero Credibility - A
    Azira - A
    ERYFKRAD - A
    Smashing Axe - B>A
    Kayerts - B>C
    Ifeex - A
    Nevill - B
    Jester - A
    Ganymede - A
    Kashmir Slippers - A
    TOME - A
    Kipeci - A
    asxetos - B
    m4davis - A
    Stygian Lurker - A
    Tigranes - B>C
    XenomorphII - A
    Lambchop19 - B
    Absinthe - A
    ScubaV - A
    Grimgravy - A

A - 16
    B - 7

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Tournament Semifinals: Yifang

You nod at the tournament official to signal that you are fine, and turn your gaze back towards Guo Fu. He is patiently awaiting you, his hands held up in an open palm stance. You take a crouching stance in response, your back hunched over and your fingers curling into claws. Your left arm is still hurting you, but that doesn’t seem to matter so much now. You can’t help but grin under your mask as your fingers twitch in anticipation. Breathing in deeply, you allow your chaotic qi to flow through you freely. A turbulent warmth rushes forward from the center of your body and floods your extremities. You lean forward just slightly and kick off the ground without warning.

Guo Fu’s eyes widen as you cross ten paces in the blink of an eye. His massive arm shoots out in defense, but your approach is too low for him to hit. He misses the back of your head by a hair’s breadth. Your Shouwang Claws sweep towards his leg, hitting the side of his calf. It is as if you are attempting to dig into rock. A less sturdier opponent would have been thrown off his feet by the force of your blow, but Guo remains unmoved. You tumble aside as a fist thuds into the boards that make up the stage floor. There is a crack as the wood splinters. That blow would have ended the fight if it landed. Regaining your posture before he does, you pounce to the attack again.

Your claw arcs from the top and strikes him square on the shoulder, forcing one of his knees to buckle under the strength of your attack. In the next instant, however, Guo Fu throws you off with a shout. He is quick enough to follow up with a jab to your chest. That is trivial enough for you to evade, sliding under the punch. You retaliate with a Chuzhan Fist. It barrels into his abdomen, your tempestuous qi throwing off your aim. This time, however, Guo Fu is more prepared. Instead of being knocked down, you merely manage to force him to take two steps back.

You press your advantage, stepping forward and continuing to perform the first style of the Chuzhan Fist. Your blow strikes home again, forcing him another step back. As you throw your third punch, Guo suddenly leans forward, taking your fist right in his chest. You see him visibly wince; you may have cracked a couple of his ribs with that blow.

Even so, his goal is achieved. He grabs your right arm before you can retract it. With his other hand, he prepares to deliver a knockout blow.

You try to tug your way out of his grasp, but he is too strong, and no amateur at grappling either. His grip is firm. His fist drives towards you. There is no more time to evade.

With your left hand, you draw your sword in a reverse grip. Guo Fu’s punch strikes the blade of the sword, pressing it hard against your injured forearm. You fancy that you can hear your bones creaking even further, the cracks widening. Still, your block is successful. Flipping the sword around, you strike at his wrist with the sword’s hilt. The sudden attack forces him to let go. You toss your sword to your right hand and go on the offense.

Within a few blows, you start to understand how frustrated Murong Yandi must have been in his fight. You are not sure whether Guo Fu is equally impervious to an actual sharp blade, but he must have immense inner strength reserves to utilize his neigong to such an extent. More frighteningly, the more you attack, the less effect it seems to have on him as he draws upon more and more of his qi – and he doesn’t seem to be running out any time soon. Thankfully, your unpredictable and speedy movements means that he is entirely unable to mount a proper offense as long as he doesn’t catch you like he just did.

That isn’t going to win you the match, however. You are just going to tire yourself out like Murong Yandi did.

After putting some distance between you and him, you lunge forward with the Pine-Cutting Sword. Guo Fu’s gaze sharpens as he steadies himself and hardens his body. He shouts as your sword hits his neck. The blade breaks – it was shoddily made anyway and you saw it coming – but you take that chance to stop your momentum and instead swing away, striking Guo Fu on the cheek with the flat of the broken blade, stunning him for just a while.

You let go of the hilt and launch an all-out attack.

With just your right hand, you rain down wild claws on Guo Fu from all sides as you give yourself entirely over to your neigong, sacrificing precision for speed. Every time you strike, you change your clawed fingers into a gentle palm and follow up by executing the first move of the Xianglong Palms. That way, you find that you are able to control the direction and power of your subsequent claw strikes better despite your chaotic neigong. Given no time to recover, Guo Fu is slowly but steadily forced towards the edge of the ring, his own attacks meeting nothing but thin air as you bob and weave in between blows. His breath grows more and more ragged as your ceaseless attacks begin to disrupt his focus.

Suddenly, your erratic qi slows down for just a second. You miss a step. Guo Fu does not miss the opportunity. You find yourself again in the path of his powerful fist.

You will not be able to block it again. Your only option is to meet his blow with one of your own – the only move you can perform in time is to throw your most powerful attack, the Bloody Diamond Horn, with the left arm that you had been trying not to favour.

Your open hand meets his closed fist with bone-shattering force. Indeed, you do imagine you can feel the bones of your arm shatter as you do so. The pain is excruciating, but on the other hand Guo Fu is thrown back, lifted into the air by the force of your blow.

You jump immediately, going after him before he can regain his balance. Drawing your right palm back, you channel all the qi you can muster and smash it down into Guo Fu’s huge body. He slams into the floor, cracking the wood, and tumbles backwards in a noisy flurry of heavy limbs. When he comes to a stop, he has landed just outside the ring area. You drop to your knees as the gong is sounded, watching Guo Fu get to his knees looking extremely battered from your blows. His eyes seem to be shining with respect.

…You think you are going to need to have words with him about his stupid strength afterwards.

The crowd, which had been watching in tense silence till now, breaks out into a loud roar at your victory. The sound of their exhilaration echoes around the tournament area.

Then, you pass out.

When you come to, you are in the treatment area. Your broken arm has been bandaged and secured tightly. No one seems to be around. Well, no one, except for that perpetual annoyance Chi Qilin, who is still lounging around despite probably having recovered from her injuries. She grins at you, her face uncomfortably close.

“You missed a lot of things while you were sleeping,” she says.

“I missed a lot of things, but not you. What are you still doing here?”

She pouts and pokes you hard in the broken arm. “I’m still recovering, you idiot. Anyway, I’m sure you wanted to see Cao’er. She was here just a moment ago, treating your injuries. She says that arm is not going to heal completely by tomorrow, but she will make an effort to render it usable tonight. For now, you are not to move it at all.”

“My next opponent is Yifang,” you chuckle. “I don’t think I will need to.”

“What do you mean? Are you going to forfeit? Or do you have a plan?” She looks anxious all of a sudden.

“Maybe,” you say liltingly. “What’s the matter, did you bet money on me?”

“Don’t be such a tease!” she fumes. “Especially when it comes to money. What are you going to do next?”

“Why don’t you watch and find out? By the way, who removed my mask?”

She sighs as you change the subject. “Cao’er did. Interestingly, when the tournament officials were carrying you off, the Huashan and Taishan disciples were jeering for you to be unmasked. Of course, when they did that there were louder calls for the mask to stay on by the rest of the crowd. Luckily for you, the tournament officials seemed more concerned with getting you to the treatment area. Cao’er took over rather quickly. I’ve never seen that girl so worried or so bossy before. She managed to glare the tournament officials out of the room in five seconds flat.”

“Well, I’m just surprised that she didn’t wait around for me to wake up,” you say.

“…of course I am around, Jing,” whispers a voice from behind you. You can’t help but freeze up.

“But-“ -you look accusingly at Qilin- “-you said she wasn’t here!”

“Oh, not my fault you only have eyes for me and didn’t notice your dear little physician standing on the other side of the bed,” giggles Qilin.

“…it’s okay. You can have his eyes. I’ll take… something else…” mumbles Cao’er.

You spend the rest of your recuperating time being toyed with again by Cao’er and Qilin.

Right before the semifinal match, Qi Liuwu appears again, grinning widely. “Performed just as I expected. Excellent work, kiddo.”

You raise your broken arm slightly in protest. “I do get a part of the winnings, right? Master Qi?”

“Ah… about that…” he looks away guiltily.

“I’m the one putting my body on the line out there, Master Qi.”

“Fair enough, fair enough,” he sighs. “The problem is, I put all our winnings into your next match.”

“Great. Did you bet with Abbess Miecao this time?” you groan.

“Oh, no. She wouldn’t take a bet nowadays, and she said that even if she did, she would be crazy to bet on Yifang against you. Apparently it’s not a matter of skill, but she thinks you are just naturally the worst match-up for that girl.”

“So, the Abbot again?”

“Yes. He’s really the only one who’ll bet with me now that Wang ran off to meditate. I’m going to clean that old baldie up to make up for all the other bets over the years. So… please don’t lose.”

The crowd cheers louder than ever for you when you arrive on stage with your bandaged arm. You give them a wave of acknowledgement, sending them into a frenzy.

This time, you are facing Yifang in the semifinals. The stage has been repaired in the downtime between matches. The pretty nun stands a fair distance away from you, her guard up. She seems calm and focused. Her gaze and stance are steady, a far cry from how she usually is, though she appears to be mumbling sutras continuously. You can tell that she would give you a good fight even when you are in perfect condition. With your broken arm and dwindling stamina, however, taking her on will be extremely difficult even if you do have a counter for her Qingcheng Stab.

It is probably for times like this that you kept that with you…

A. Use Item: Yifang’s Skull Cap

B. You think you would rather fight fairly. Surely she deserves better?

C. You decide to forfeit the match, citing your poor condition.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    B: I don't think lulz will work again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    A baby!

Also, take of the mask.

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Fight fair against Yifang? Jing? :lol:

Opt out? Our stubborn fighter? :nocountryforshitposters:

Seems we have just one option left to us. Really. A

^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A - Press whatever advantage we possibly can.

^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    How would we use the Skull Cap, anyway?

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This isn't even a choice. A.

^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Show must go on, especially since Qi Liuwu has bet on us again. Even though we were unconscious at the time. I hope he isn't planing to do that the third time, we might not be so lucky against the Nameless.

I'm thinking A as it sounds like it would give us some edge by pissing her off and throwing her off balance. We would probably wear the thing, right?

Oh, and lose the shirt to make her extra uncomfortable.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Uh, no. Don't think so.

^ Top  
  22. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Then I'm not even sure I want to know.

^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Note though, Guo Fu was not in the treatment area. Seems the fears that we might inadvertently kill him were unfounded. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
    A

Because I am really curious how it gets used.

^ Top  
  25. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    You guys have done well in calling treave's bluffs so far.

But one day your overconfidence will be your undoing. One day our terrible luck will punish us for our risktaking.

And on that day, I will be there to gloat and say... "I told you so".

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.