Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would have loved to see A2 as the Goat Doctor while being Zhang's apprentice. "Uh-hi-hi-hi-hi!!!"

The Goat Doctor would've been great for so many laughs. Plus, we'd have had ridiculous int and perception both, that would really have kicked ass.

Ah well, perhaps in another timeline.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Emperor: Rise, rise. Your fame is well deserved, Man Tiger Pig. We do not think there has ever been a fighter to match you. Why doesn't the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name.

Xu Jing: My name is Man Tiger Pig. *turns away*

Emperor: How dare you show your back to us! You will remove your mask and tell us your name.

Xu Jing: *unmasks* My name is Xu Jing, born of peasantry, adjutant of Crown Prince Li Shun, and loyal servant to the Great Tang Dynasty. Wolf-Friend to a murdered Khan, brother to an exiled prince. And I will have my vengeance in this life or the next.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's settled then, Russel Crowe will play Jing in "Legend's" screen adaptation.
:salute:

Wait, Khanbro was murdered?

Esquilax

Arcane
The Goat Doctor would've been great for so many laughs. Plus, we'd have had ridiculous int and perception both, that would really have kicked ass.

:lol:

We would have been dead within a week due to our abysmal charisma. Imagine the meeting with the Masters: "It seems it's worse than we feared. The Southern Maniac has an apprentice that's far more depraved and sick than he ever was. Zhang was always a savage killer, but this... this... monster he's created cannot be allowed to live. I can still hear his hideous laughter echoing in my skull."

While I was initially set on either the Goat Adjutant or the Pig Farmer, I think you have a tendency to overrate the PER/INT stat. Of course they're important, but this is still a martial arts world, so physical might still matters a great deal. Brawn isn't everything, but your scrawny brainiac will get the shit kicked out of them by the likes of Guo Fu if all they have are theoretical counters that they might not be able to pull off. The power of BRO is not to be underestimated.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I disagree. The Goat Doctor would never have put himself in such a situation, exactly because of his high int/per. I think you're overestimating the impact of charisma here. The Goat Doctor should never be a leader of men directly. But he might overcome his charisma with a select few who could be his adjutants.

Oh, and a goat doctor with the Immortal Eyes trait? Coupled with training in the Yuhe finger? He'd have poked Guo ever so tenderly from a distance, disabled the big guy's qi, and that would have made a huge difference.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering that we have a goat doctor right there with us, they would have turned out just fine. Instead of going with Zhang we would have applied to the castration squad to instill dread in the hearts of our enemies. "Balls to the wall" motto is much scarier that way.

Why do you suppose they'd have to be male?

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't think that Cao'er was modeled similarly to the female version of the Goat Doctor. Something tells me that she would be even creepier than she is now if that were the case.

I disagree. The Goat Doctor would never have put himself in such a situation, exactly because of his high int/per. I think you're overestimating the impact of charisma here. The Goat Doctor should never be a leader of men directly. But he might overcome his charisma with a select few who could be his adjutants.

Oh, and a goat doctor with the Immortal Eyes trait? Coupled with training in the Yuhe finger? He'd have poked Guo ever so tenderly from a distance, disabled the big guy's qi, and that would have made a huge difference.

Well, we can't say what a particular character we aren't playing would and wouldn't do, I'm just trying to demonstrate that there are trade-offs regardless of what you do. We'd miss out on a lot of cool unarmed and sword techniques, and Jing's cocky, impetuous nature is a fucking blast to play around with. A guy with CHA 1 wouldn't have acquaintances, let alone adjutants that do shit for him. In our own character, look at all the issues our horrible luck can cause for us with the possibility of having our plans derailed at the worst times and all the lucky encounters that we miss. It's just the nature of the beast.

Good point on beating Guo Fu, though. Immortal Eyes would open up lots of possibilities, but I think that the Yuhe Finger's qi disruption would only work that way due to the Adjutant's particular qi. There are plenty of other qi disruption techniques that would work for the Doctor, but it would probably have to be something else.

However, a question that immediately comes to mind is, "how would your Goat Doctor beat Xu Jing, an insanely aggressive fighter who has no pressure points and a relentless killer instinct?" There's an old boxing adage that comes to mind here, and that's "styles make fights". Some fighters will naturally be more difficult for us to take on based on their particular attributes and skill-sets. Xu Jing can tear apart fighters rely on pressure points like tissue paper, but as we've seen in the Guo Fu fight, if you put someone in front of Jing who can take obscene amounts of punishment, he has to brute-force his way through them, which is far less than ideal. Hopefully we'll learn a few tricks that would allow us to work our way around this.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
However, a question that immediately comes to mind is, "how would your Goat Doctor beat Xu Jing, an insanely aggressive fighter who has no pressure points and a relentless killer instinct?"
A goat doctor isn't a fighter, he doen't participate in tournaments. So the best answer is - he'd beat them without engaging in a fight. Say, with laxatives.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Or he could come here, much like Cao'er, to help watch the tournament for a good friend of his, who happens to be a really good fighter.
If we'd chosen the goat doc, we might've wound up with the adjutant or even the farmer as a friend. There's gratitude to throw into the mix, when charisma doesn't cut it.
And the description of when Jing surprised Cao'er was that anyone with functioning meridians would've been immediately paralysed by her thrown needles. Scary thought, eh? Paralysed and at the mercy of the creepily giggling doc..

Esquilax

Arcane
A goat doctor isn't a fighter, he doen't participate in tournaments. So the best answer is - he'd beat them without engaging in a fight. Say, with laxatives.

I don't know about that, bro. PER 9/INT 9 is no joke. Even with only STR 5/AGI 5, he could become really good with throwing weapons or staves. Plus, there's the ability to craft techniques and counters that a genius character would be able to pull off. I wouldn't underestimate a character like that in combat at all. Really, there are various benefits and drawbacks to every kind of character, but ultimately, since this is a martial arts LP, I'm glad we picked a character who can fight.

Nevill

Arcane
Azira said:
If we'd chosen the goat doc, we might've wound up with the adjutant.
And get to stalk him, and go "Uhihihi" all over him.

It would have been glorious! Why did everyone pitch that lousy PER/INT stat, and not the creepy tendencies?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Azira said:
If we'd chosen the goat doc, we might've wound up with the adjutant.
And get to stalk him, and go "Uhihihi" all over him.

It would have been glorious! Why did everyone pitch that lousy PER/INT stat, and not the creepy tendencies?

What about Doctor Goat?

That charisma 1 should be hilarious! :lol:

On the other hand, perception and int both start at 9. Min-maxing? Yep.

And this dude would be so socially awkward that it'd be bound to blow up in our faces. :yeah:

Ehem...

Nevill

Arcane
Socially awkward characters are so common nowadays. Every :desu: got one.

Psycho stalker protagonists, though, are rare and precious.

Esquilax said:
I don't think that Cao'er was modeled similarly to the female version of the Goat Doctor. Something tells me that she would be even creepier than she is now if that were the case.
Missed that one. Of course she is - Immortal Eyes give away that much. Back when we first met her, she was barely able to talk. It's not like we are the only ones who had improved their starting stats. Jing's influense on the girl should not be underestimated.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Before the Finals

With a loud sigh, your shoulders slump and you step back from Yu Gan. You suppose that the gig is up. “Yes. I am the disciple of Zhang Jue,” you admit, loud enough for the audience to hear. A ripple spreads amongst the crowd at your acknowledgement.

“Very good. You admit it,” smiles your accuser grimly. “You have nowhere to run, Man Tiger Pig. Fight me here and now.”

“You want to fight me here?”

“Of course! Why else would I be here?” shouts Yu Gan.

“But I do not want to fight you here,” you say simply.

“Then you are a coward after all,” he snarls. “Is that what the disciple of Zhang Jue is? Everyone, take a look at this gutless wimp!” Yu Gan stretches out a finger, pointing it right in your face as he laughs loudly to the crowd.

“You misunderstand me, Yu Gan. I do not wish to fight you here because it would be dishonourable of me to do so,” you reply.

“Dishonourable – what are you talking about? Stop trying to find excuses and face me like a man! Not fighting me is dishonourable.”

“But you see, sir,” you say with a hidden grin, “You are angry and excited at finally being able to take vengeance for your father’s murder upon the disciple of the man who you say killed him. I can understand that feeling. I, too, would be just as emotional. However, I am sure your respected master taught you not to rush into a fight hotheadedly. It would not be fair to you if I fight you now, when you are not in your best condition.” You linger on that last sentence for a while, making sure that the crowd catches it, before continuing. “After all, is it not said that the wise man’s heart is as stable as the root of the world? Battle me when you are calmer, so that you may exhibit your full prowess in pursuit of justice.”

“I-I am calm,” he says quickly, slightly taken off guard at your sudden speech. “You will not trick me with your flowery words!”

“Are you sure?” you ask concernedly. “I would not want to take advantage of you, sir. In fact, if I am truly Zhang Jue’s disciple you must know my techniques are dangerous. Why risk your life impulsively? I am perfectly willing to take your challenge when you are feeling better.” The audience seems to agree somewhat with your sentiment. At least, they are not jeering you and chanting for you to fight.

“There is no need to wait. I am thinking perfectly clearly right now.”

“Are you really, really sure?” you ask again.

“I said I was calm!” he shouts, drawing his sword. It looks like he is ready to attack. “Whether you like it or not, Man Tiger Pig, justice will be served today. If I cannot reach your master, I will settle for teaching you a lesson!”

“...Is that so?”

The man takes a step back. You stand there, head half-cocked to one side in the silly pig’s mask, your posture loose and relaxed. Your sudden calmness is unnerving him.

“Y-yeah.” He grips his sword with both hands. “I won’t let you escape this duel.” It looks like he will attack you even if you refuse to fight, regardless of the damage to his reputation that it will do. There is a slight tremor in his stance, however. It looks like his instincts are up to the task of warning him. A cornered tiger is dangerous, even if wounded.

“Stop!” A familiar voice rings out across the stage. Its owner glides down to the stage gracefully like a white swan whose neck you’d gladly like to wring. Bai Jiutian. The crowd gives a murmur of approval. “Brother Gan, as much as I hate to admit it, Zhang Jue’s disciple has a point. You are being too rash right now. Do not throw your life away against this scoundrel.”

“Brother Jiutian, I cannot give up this opportunity to redeem my family’s good name! I will need to avenge our humiliation at Zhang Jue’s hands,” cries Yu Gan, clearly upset. Your words seems to have had the opposite effect of what you intended, inciting him instead of calming him down. “Even if it costs me my life to do so!”

He attempts to lunge at you, but Bai Jiutian holds him back easily with one arm. “No, brother! This will be unseemly. Besides, what good is it if you lose your life defending your father’s name? Your father would have wanted you to live a good life and continue the family line. That is your most important duty!”

“But-“

“Do not worry, Brother Gan. You are part of Huashan. When you entered the sect you became as family to us. I look up to you as if you were my own older brother. There is no need for you to fight Man Tiger Pig. He is Zhang Jue’s disciple, not Zhang Jue himself. This fight is beneath your level. Leave it to me. I will take on Zhang Jue’s disciple in your stead.”

The crowd roars in surprise at Bai Jiutian’s announcement, excited at the prospect of seeing him battle you.

“Not today, however,” he says loudly. “As we can all see, Man Tiger Pig is injured from his previous battles. We will have our fight here, at this very place, the day after the finals. As a member of the tournament committee, I have the authority to do so. Whether you win or lose tomorrow, Man Tiger Pig, you will need to be made to acknowledge your master’s misdeeds. We will not be fighting to kill. There is no need for more bloodshed… but I would have you kneel and apologize to everyone you tricked in this tournament, prostrate and apologize for the crimes of your master, and unmask yourself to demonstrate your respect for the pugilistic community, to swear you will not demonstrate such disregard for our feelings ever again. In return, you have my word that until the conclusion of our duel, no one else in the orthodox community will challenge you for their numerous grievances against your master and disrupt your tournament preparations. What say you?”

You whistle. “That is a very long list of demands.”

“You are free to make your own demands should you win,” shrugs Bai Jiutian elegantly.

“Unfortunately I cannot think of anything on such short notice. After all, I already had the fortune of witnessing the splendour of one of the Twin Flowers of Huashan yesterday. Anything I can ask now would pale in comparison to that,” you say. The crowd laughs despite themselves. Bai Jiutian’s face darkens, his smile turning upside down. “Still with that flippant manner, I see. Very well. Name your demands before the fight then. I would not have you crying afterwards claiming that I did not give you sufficient motivation besides defending your own honour,” he says coldly.

You turn to leave, but he calls out for you to stop again. Sighing, you turn around. “What now?”

Bai tosses a small pouch at you. “Medicine for your wounds. These herbs are extremely effective. I would have you in your best condition before our duel, so that there can be no complaints.”

Such a perfect gentleman. You nod in thanks.

“Well, okay. I am sure you are more than satisfied to have taken the limelight away from the finals tomorrow, so could I leave now?”

“I did not-“ begins Bai Jiutian indignantly, but you leave before he completes his sentence.

Later that evening, it is just you, Qilin, Cao’er and Murong Yandi. Guo Fu and Pu’er had been carried off by Wudang disciples led by Wu Jin, who had lost handily to the big lad but was impressed to the point of wanting to recruit him as a fellow brother. The Grand Taoist had mysteriously vanished before Wu Jin could obtain permission from him, but in the end he had managed to get confirmation from a senior Wudang disciple on the committee. Guo Fu promised that he would drop by later, however. Yifang had been summoned by the Abbess – according to Cao’er, she was to spend the night meditating in order to strengthen her mental discipline.

“…these are expensive herbs, Jing,” says Cao’er. “…golden fox leaves. They can heal physical wounds extremely quickly. You should be fully recovered by the time you fight with the white one if you use it. If not, by my skills alone I will only be able to restore some mobility to your arm in time for tomorrow’s match... it will not be fully healed for another week.”

“I can’t detect any traces of any poisons either,” says Qilin as she lies belly-down on your bed, feeding one of those extremely expensive leaves to her toad. “Of course, he might be using something I have no experience with, but I doubt such a poison exists. I never ingest anything of dubious source, though, so on the off chance I missed something - as unlikely as it may be - I do recommend you don’t use his medicine. I don’t trust that stuck-up prig.”

“I, for one, am still surprised that you are Zhang Jue’s disciple,” says Murong Yandi. “It gave me the shock of my life.”

“Why’s that?” you chuckle. “Did you cross paths with my master? I hope he didn’t kill any of your family.”

“Oh, no, of course not, but he has his… reputation. My master fought yours before. According to him, Zhang Jue was one of the few pugilists who could make him draw his sword in battle.”

“That’s not surprising. By the way, I have not met your master before. Do you think you could introduce us?” Yandi shakes his head sadly. “I’m afraid not. My master is a bit of a recluse. He doesn’t like talking with people, which is why he wants me to turn out differently.”

Tomorrow will be the finals. You will be facing Nameless, the Persian fighter. Then, the day after, Bai Jiutian has scheduled a duel with you. He seems rather confident of winning. You could skip his challenge, of course.

A. You spend time studying ways to defeat Nameless, based of Qilin’s first hand experience and Cao’er’s observations. You should focus on what is immediately ahead of you for now.

B. You spend time getting a headstart on preparing for the match against Bai Jiutian by consulting Murong Yandi. Since he came here to face the man, he should know something of his techniques.

C. You don’t care about the fights at all. You hit the streets, attempting to lure out the people-in-black now that you have revealed your identity as Zhang Jue’s disciple.

A. You use the medicine that Bai Jiutian gave you.

B. You do not use the medicine that Bai Jiutian gave you.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
“You are free to make your own demands should you win,” shrugs Bai Jiutian elegantly.
I demand the hands of the Twin Flowers of Huashan. Then I'm game.

asxetos

Augur
trollface.jpg

I will not rush my vote this time.

To hell with the competition and the Persian fighter. I'm for just withdrawing from tournament to prepare ourselves for the real challenge. Don't even show up, just warn Qi in advance to make sure he doesn't make any further bets. What do we lose - a manual, if we manage to defeat her (and that's a big if in our current state)? This is now the main event. As for our request, it could simply be that we force him to admit that we are better then him, taking one more sect from our list.

As for the medicine, well I'm torn - on one side I don't see this jackass as the poisoner kind, on the other hand my paranoia tells me to keep our guard up. Still, why would he walk around with poison like that? Let's use it, but first have our expert team (Quilin and Cao'er) check it out.

BA
edit: Either I fail at reading or that last part of the update was added later - so, Quilin and Cao'er already checked the medicine out.

edit2: Updating my vote to BA > AB

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I'm going to vote BA. Just BecAuse.

And flop to AB.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can worry about BaiJiu later. Unfortunately, we'll have to win him clean if our victory is to work at all. But we beat him, and that's a significant step towards finishing Zhang's task. Might be that's the only thing we have to do, if lucky. Luck, so forget that.
We ought to have a drink with this guy sometime, loosen him up a little.
In the meantime,

1.A>C
2.? I've not got any particular leanings towards this, either option is fine, but could we get Cao'er to examine the herbs and work on finding acceptable substitutes for the future? Is that possible, treave?

asxetos

Augur
I think we can use the medicine. He publicly gave it to us and if something happened, he would be the number one suspect. I also think he was prepared for the outcome, that's why he was carrying around such an expensive medicine. His sense of honor wouldn't allow for anything else.
I will go with A for the second choice most likely.

As for the first one:
A : I still believe that there will be a big consequence to letting Nameless win, so we should consider this.
B : I think we have time after Nameless to consult with Murong Yandi. Plus, if we get rekt on the finals, we might be unable to fight the next day. (Maybe go BB if you want this option, to conserve the healing powder).
C : High Risk - Unknown Reward. We may uncover the conspiracy, or we may just waste a night running like fools.

Nevill

Arcane
asxetos said:
I think we have time after Nameless to consult with Murong Yandi.
Look, "let's do it later" never works in these LPs. You can have an angry crowd with pitchforks knocking up your door once the tournament is over. If you want to beat the crap out of Bai Jiutian, like I do, you need to give it all you got. The man is far more dangerous than anything we had fought so far.

Besides, did you listen to the list of his demands? Losing here is not an option.

asxetos

Augur
Look, "let's do it later" never works in these LPs. You can have an angry crowd with pitchforks knocking up your door once the tournament is over. If you want to beat the crap out of Bai Jiutian, like I do, you need to give it all you got. The man is far more dangerous than anything we had fought so far.
I dont agree with you, but if you want to go full on Bai Jiutian, your best bet is to go BB and ignore Nameless.

Nevill

Arcane
Why would I refuse healing then? I trust the expertise of both Cao'er and Qilin - safe for Yao, they are the highest authority on these matters there is.

And yes, I am ignoring Nameless. Beating the previous champion is more prestigious anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's much safer to take the medicine than to take him on with a broken arm. I'm also for ignoring the Nameless, I'm just worried that Qi got himself into more trouble already. Hey treave he didn't make a bet already, did he?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom