Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
As for the payment in A, suffice to say it'll wipe you out immediately and then some. You'll still be getting royalties but don't expect to start getting any money until it's fully paid off, which will definitely be after this chapter. You'll likely be going it pauper style, living in abandoned temples and huts like how you did when apprenticing under Yao, for the rest of the chapter. That may have some consequences.
I just figured that with Jing's, Yu's and Cao'er's combined skills, I see no reason we can't pull off an elaborate heist sometime later. Solves our monetary problems and most likely gives us a skill-up from the difficulty.

Also, treave, will it be possible to engage in 'The Hangover'-style hijinks with Xiahou Yu sometime later?

Zwist

Learned
What if the scholar in some way has a claim on the throne? What if that is the reason he was saved?
What if he was duped into servitude, in order to control him(or keep him from doing stupid shit that gets him killed)?

Also: What if our product suddenly stops being the best on the market? Which would take a lot of bad luck of course.
We might end up with a nice debt and a trouble paying it.

Still A.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zwist said:
What if the scholar in some way has a claim on the throne?
Why would anyone murder his family 30 years after the struggle for the throne was over?

That he was saved by WiBs is definitely strange, though. Do they need him for something? If so, taking care of him by placing him where he can be easily observed sounds like a very logical next step. In that case there is even more reason to take him with us.

We might also want to keep our eyes peeled for Huluzi. He was last spotted in this area not long ago. It is just a mere conjucture at this point, but it is possible that if Yunzi got missing without the knowledge of her tribe, Huluzi went out to find her. Since it was WiBs who wanted to kidnad her three years ago, his investigation might have brought him to Yuhua Halls as well. He might know something useful about them.

Also, I am interested in what he had done that the rumors of his exploits reached Qingcheng. The disciples we overheard were definitely worried. You don't assign a face and a name to a slightest rustle if you aren't scared of their owner - or if you aren't expecting him to come for you for some reason.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Updated the previous update. It might clarify some questions that some of you may have. It seems like A is the clear winner, so I'll be working on the next update. It should be out within the next 12 hours, then we'll probably have a more regular update schedule. Sorry for the delays.

Baltika9

Arcane
The revised version is magnificent, Scholarbro's inner beast makes Zhang look like a kitten.
:lol:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I didn't expect scholarbro's inner beast being so fierce. I fully expect Jing lose his harem ending to this guy, because we can't just compete with this guy:troll: .

Baltika9

Arcane
I didn't expect scholarbro's inner beast being so fierce. I fully expect Jing lose his harem ending to this guy, because we can't just compete with this guy:troll: .
Oh, no danger of that, I think. Besides his libido, the guy has a "mopey poet" personality and a bad case of "one-itis."
Hardly the stuff to rival Jing's tsundere supercharm.
:troll:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Oh, no danger of that, I think. Besides his libido, the guy has a "mopey poet" personality and a bad case of "one-itis."
Hardly the stuff to rival Jing's tsundere supercharm.
:troll:

Oh yes, there is danger. Not only this guy has libido to put shame rest of the world, He can probably outdrink gods themselves. It only takes one night of drinking with the rest of our group and scholarbro's innerbeast probably has fucked everyone at laest five times, including men:troll:. Even prostitutes of best whorehouse in china were no match to him, besides with our luck I excpect us fall in to bullshit-school-of-genderbenting-fountain and then what kind of chance do we have then:smug:? Do we then tsundere him out of his mind?

Nevill

Arcane
We then dip him in the fountain as well.

...And I'll be in my bunk.

Elfberserker

Liturgist

You should wait until you see his amazing whip skills and high level technique [ Touch of divine tentacles ] :mhd:. He has after all been couple of years among masters of trade:yeah:.
Anyway. It would be intresting to learn, if he has learnt any skills or techniques during these years apart from drinking. With his innerbeast and drinking skills, it wouldn't be worse idea to search him drunken fighter style master...Assuming we manage to keep him as our ally.

Baltika9

Arcane

Bunk? Since when are we on a ship?
Oh, Normandy. Right.

Anyway, Scholarbro's "angsty poet," sorrowful and broken look will attract all kinds of compassionatte girls that want to "heal him" (Cao'er), "I can save the world" nuns (Yifang, hopefilly) and easy college girls.

Meanwhile, our :obviously: YOLOtiger will mingle with young ladis of class and distinguished birth. To each, as they say, their own.

Nevill

Arcane
Normandy is the herald of The Great Decline, Serenity is classics.

Cao'er deals with the ailments of the body, not the soul, so it is only Yifang for our Scholarbro, unless he drops that angsty teenage act and goes back to his refined gentlemanly self. I know I liked him better when he was just a nerd.

And the Abbess would have a word with you for placing her girls in the same sentence with the easy ones. :mad:

Baltika9 said:
Meanwhile, our :obviously: YOLOtiger will mingle with young ladis of class and distinguished birth.
Right, the WiBs. We must help Liu Chanfeng to get rid of a certain misconception about males.

Baltika9

Arcane
I was thinking more along the lines of Yunzi, Quilin and Young Mistress Song Lingshu. We have to worm our way into her heart while she is still grieving, before BJ does, to secure Yao's life on his trial.
That, and getting our own sect to dictate through a figurehead (by pure love and passion, of course) would be cool, too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yangzhou Tales

Miss Xia seems reluctant to part with her prized employee, but finally agrees. By the end of the negotiations for Yu’s freedom, you are left with not a cent to your name and a very grateful scholar. You had forfeited all payments from the deal involving Yao’s Protective Sheath for two years in order to afford his ransom. You hope it is worth it.

You return the next day and find Xiahou Yu waiting for you at the gates of Yuhua Hall. It was just a day, but his transformation is dramatic, the alcohol-fueled haze in his eyes replaced by a bright determination. He bows sharply when he sees you. “Thank you very much for freeing me from Yuhua Hall. I am not sure how I can ever make it up to you, but please let me try!”

“Oh, don’t worry about that. Money is where you find it,” you say, recalling Qi Liuwu’s quip. “We are going to have to find some, though, unless you want to be eating wild rabbit for the rest of your days.”

“Ah, about that…” Xiahou reaches into his clothes and pulls out a small pouch. “It is not much, but the girls in Yuhua gathered some taels together for me. It should be enough for food, though not lodging.”

“You are surprisingly popular, aren’t you?” you grin. “Not bad. Your drinking must have impressed the courtesans.”

“No, I will never drink again,” he replies quickly, a wild look in his eyes as he gulps audibly. “Ever.”

You are not sure how long his resolution will hold out. Nodding, you say, “For now, we will be travelling together. You want to meet your Liu Chanfeng again, don’t you? I may have business with her too, so we will stick together until then.”

“Forgive me for intruding,” he asks suspiciously, “but I have been wondering; just what business do you have with her?”

“Don’t worry,” you laugh. “I’m not interested in her that way. To be more specific, it is probably her friends that I have business with. Well, the sun is high and I have not yet eaten. As a mark of your gratitude, I’ll have you treat me to a good lunch, Brother Yu.”

“She never told me this, but here I found out that she used to be a rather popular courtesan at Yuhua Hall,” begins Xiahou Yu as he retells the story that he has pieced together over the past two years. “When she was eighteen, she fell in love with one of her regular customers, an influential man’s scion by the name of Zhang Manlou. He was scum of the worst sort.” Xiahou grits his teeth angrily. “His godfather is one of the Grand Eunuchs of the Imperial Court, Grand Eunuch Wang.”

You remember Grand Eunuch Wang well; of the four old prickless bastards that stood at the top of the court, he was probably the worst nag and the pettiest fellow of the lot – not a day went by without him complaining about one thing or another.

“As such, that scum thought himself untouchable,” continues Xiahou. “He toyed with Chanfeng’s feelings and made her think that he genuinely felt for her. Then, he got her pregnant.”

“I thought the girls at Yuhua Hall were supposed to use protection,” you interject.

“They do, but it is not perfect. On the off chance that they do conceive, the child is taken care of by the Hall,” replies Xiahou.

“So, the child…”

“Poor Chanfeng thought that Zhang Manlou would take responsibility, and so instead of having it in Yuhua Hall she went seeking him in his mansion in Chang’an.” The scholar’s hands ball into fists as he stares at the table angrily. “He was married, yes, but what rich man cannot afford a wife or mistress? Still, the bastard disavowed any knowledge of her, in front of his entire household. Then, he attacked her. It was the one thing she did not believe he would do. Zhang Manlou practices a neigong called the Huangu Skill (還骨功,Returning Bone Skill). The unborn child was killed. She was left with that mark on her face. She returned to Yuhua Hall for only a month, before disappearing. That was six years ago, when she was eighteen.”

With a deep sigh, Xiahou downs the cup of tea, though by the expression on his face he clearly finds that it is a poor substitute for wine.

“I’ve found out that she was recently spotted together with members of the Black Dragon Society, which has its headquarters in the vicinity of Xiangyang. They are a vicious bunch of mercenaries and assassins for hire… I am not sure why Chanfeng would be with them. I have also heard that there is a small, obscure school called the Wunan Sect hidden somewhere in Shennong Forest, a few days' travel from Xiangyang. Apparently they are an all-female sect, taking in those who have been betrayed by men. I feel that that is probably where she is.”

It looks like no matter what, your investigation would take you to Xiangyang next. Still, you are in no real hurry to leave Yangzhou at the moment. You wonder if you should see if there is anything else to do here. Keeping an ear out for news on the grapevine, you find that…

A. The most influential martial arts establishment in Yangzhou, the Zhou Clan Manor, is gathering pugilists to conduct a campaign against a band of pirates that has been terrorizing the southern coast. Payment is what you can claim from the pirates’ plunder; most pugilists are participating to make a name for themselves, however.

B. The two largest merchant clans of Yangzhou, the Dao family and the Jian family, have been feuding for generations. It looks like they may be about to go to war; this could be a lucrative opportunity if you stick your nose in whether as a negotiator or to help one side over another.

C. Nothing more in Yangzhou interests you; you think you should hurry over to Xiangyang instead and continue pursuing your lead as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
“Forgive me for intruding,” he asks suspiciously, “but I have been wondering; just what business do you have with her?”

This is a definite danger zone for us. Xiahou Yu is grateful that we've freed him, but if he finds out that we're doing it in large part to track down and possibly kill Chanfeng, he is going to be pretty pissed off. He might even go Hulk on us and unleash his inner beast, which I'm pretty sure is his special trait, just like Jing's chaotic qi. My point is, I think that if it came down to either us or Chanfeng, he'd probably pick her. I don't think that Yu has a good impression of the reigning Dynasty either:

Yu bends down, picking up the bronze crest that the man had dropped. “Perhaps this will give me a clue. Do you recognize this, Master Xu?”

Your breath catches in your throat as the emblem on the crest comes into view. You recognize that symbol – it is the seal of the Emperor’s secret police, which you have seen but a few times. You doubt that the man you fought was one of them – they would be far more skilled, and wouldn’t leave such incriminating evidence behind – but he could be an auxiliary or a hired sword with connections.

Jing obviously knows better about the people who assaulted Yu, but I believe that Yu is under the impression that he's being hunted by Imperial assassins. Just something to keep in mind, considering our character's allegiances.

As for the members of this Black Dragon Society, I think that being the apprentice of the most ruthless, feared and respected killers in the pugilistic world might give us an in with them. treave, would anybody believe us if we walked in to the Black Dragon Society's headquarters claiming to be Zhang's apprentice, or is our fame insufficient for that? I'm guessing that since our sole achievement thus far would be winning an orthodox martial arts tournament, I doubt that a bunch of very unorthodox assassins and mercenaries would have heard about it. Also, does Yu know that we're the Southern Maniac's apprentice?

Going into Assassin HQ is risky, but we need to know what exactly Chanfeng is doing around them. My initial impression here is that she's preparing for another hit on the Crown Prince and putting together a team. Considering all the lethal techniques that we possess, I'd say posing as an aspiring assassin is definitely a possibility.

I gotta admit, A is tempting. Bringing fame to our name (and not infamy) is important, and it sounds like a shitload of fun. It'll boost our skills a lot and put us in contact with more pugilists, which is important because I can't help but get the impression that we might be way out of our depth with C, especially without Cao'er to help us through any potential scrapes. Another thing that I really dislike about C is that it gives an intelligent and perceptive guy like Xiahou Yu reason to be suspicious; why would we ignore a few obvious money-making opportunities after going broke to follow the trail of this woman? He's not the same naive kid that he was a few years ago, he will know that we are hiding something.

But still, we have a mission, we've been ignorant of things for years, so we ought to follow this incredibly dangerous lead that we have. C, but I could flop to A.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
B. How can I not vote this when Yojimbo is one of my favorite films by Akira Kurosawa?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They won't recognize you but breaking a limb or two should be enough to convince them, if that's how you want to play things.

Edit: Also, as said in the update there is no real need to hurry out of Yangzhou. Only leave if you do not want to get involved in any of these quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom