Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Hmm, hard choice between A and B.

B be could be pretty lucrative and we have good charisma and speech, not to mention we already know trick or two how to deal with merchant..At least around normal merchants. Scholarbro could be pretty useful here, because I think he has knowledge about economics due his upbringing and I bet he has learnt thing or two due his stay at fun house.
However these merchants are more skillful and more resourceful than you average street peddler, not to mention we have no idea what kind of feud they have. Is related to past business dealings? Personal feuds over loved one passed trough generations? Or even murder or five during all those times? More importantly it's all or nothing for us, we get shitload of cash and good relations to one or even two merchant families or we get nothing but burned bridge to one merchant house or both. Finally we could spare a city from small scale war, if you fancy yourself as hero.

A sounds safe choice for us in financial department. Jing is combat beast and his main techniques are designed to kill and maim, plus with scholarbro we can carry more treasure. We also get to test our mettle in real battle and at the same time we get nice PR boost with orthodox sects, besides who can say that battling pirates, getting booty and wenches doesn't sound cool.
On otherhand there will be real risk for getting injured or even killed. Those pirates won't be playing around and they are ready to play dirtier than we are. We also don't know how scholarbro handles real battles, we don't know his skills or has he even killed another human being during his life. But then again he can stay back while we handle the fighting.
Final worry is that we will be on sea. There is always chance that there will be a storm and that is bad, we we don't even know can we swim, both us and scholarbro! And yes, I would still be careful around sea even if we had good luck, sea is harsh mistress...

I will wait and see further arguments

Kipeci

Arcane
What the hell? Most of you were rejecting joining up the cult and put forth arguments about how urgent it was to drop everything and visit Yuhua Hall to follow the lead, and now that we have a good idea of where these guts are camped out we're going to waste time punching pirates for cash?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the hell? Most of you were rejecting joining up the cult and put forth arguments about how urgent it was to drop everything and visit Yuhua Hall to follow the lead, and now that we have a good idea of where these guts are camped out we're going to waste time punching pirates for cash?
Pirates, man.

Esquilax

Arcane
A - Time to see what our killing techniques can do.

Well, we already fought against Guo Fu without holding back, but I am eager to test out the new style that we added to our Shouwang Claws. It sounds nasty:

Style Three - Diving Eagle Grip - a series of powerful grapples that emphasize on digging your fingers into the opponents tendons and locking their limbs in place.

Keep in mind that the Zhou Clan who would be hiring us for this campaign might actually want us to take a few of these guys alive, we don't know the details yet. In terms of what skills A/B could give us, B sounds like a better bet since it might allow us to get more involved in scholarly matters and art as we try to negotiate our way through the situation. We're already pretty fucking good as a fighter, plus we got a good skill boost against Guo Fu during the tournament, so maybe improving our "soft" skills would be a smart idea, since we've been neglecting them in favour of wrestling tigers over the last couple of years. Hell, even a brutal badass like Zhang is probably well-versed in arts and poetry, being a long-standing fellow at Luoying Manor and all.

However, we really ought to go with C. We've hit on our first lead in three years, and we can leverage our reputation as Zhang's apprentice in a place like the Black Dragon Society's headquarters. In just the last update, everybody was saying "Fuck the money! Free Jim Profit Xiahou Yu!" so I don't see why everyone is seeing it as a big deal now. Yeah, the money is very nice and will likely open a few doors, but that's not what we're concerned with.

I just think that considering all that's on our plate with Zhang's challenge (to be fair, the time limit has only just started), we should try to investigate the Wunan sect further instead of getting sidetracked completely.

Elfberserker

Liturgist

Because treave said we didn't have to hurry, Also we are poor as fuck. I think that traveling with what little money we have will fireback at us and not to mention closes some options when we arrive there without penny in our name. while Jing can no doubt take care of himself in wildrness I doubt he can take care both him and scholarbro, because I doubt that scholarbro has any survival skills.
Chasing pirates will no doubt have us secured financially better than leaving straight to continue our investigation and we have chance to gain more experience in battle, possible a new technique.
B would be gamble, we could earn so much money that we don't have to worry about it during rest Zhang's quest or it could gain us nothing, but wrath of merchant house. I think we need to be bit more prepared before we enter in that pit of viper and choosing A or B we could be potentially more advantageous position compared to leaving straight away...Assuming we don't fuck up.

Kipeci

Arcane
Treave said we didn't have to hurry concerning Zhang's challenge, whic is more lr less irrelevent since we're talking about the lead on these guys, not our challenge. Furthermore, we haven't had any use for money this entire LP aside from our time in the brothel just now, and it's already been shown that our tag-along has some money for food to burn through before we need to resort to snake livers.

I would also think that meeting up with hardcore assassins would carry just as much of an opportunity to develop or learn techniques.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Treave said we didn't have to hurry concerning Zhang's challenge, whic is more lr less irrelevent since we're talking about the lead on these guys, not our challenge.
I'm pretty sure not a single word was said about Zhang.
treave said:
Still, you are in no real hurry to leave Yangzhou at the moment. You wonder if you should see if there is anything else to do here.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Treave said we didn't have to hurry concerning Zhang's challenge, whic is more lr less irrelevent since we're talking about the lead on these guys, not our challenge.

Point taken, but we are travelling to their headquarters. I doubt they are moving anytime soon.

Furthermore, we haven't had any use for money this entire LP aside from our time in the brothel just now, and it's already been shown that our tag-along has some money for food to burn through before we need to resort to snake livers.

That is because someone else handled our money, mainly Yao and he did use that money to improve his and Cao'er knowledge. We could use money to buy books and improve our scholar skills hard way, buy a room for nights so we don't have to worry about weather or watch our backs during night. We could actually use money as bargain tools with assasins or grease the grease to get us WIB base.

I would also think that meeting up with hardcore assassins would carry just as much of an opportunity to develop or learn techniques.

How? We would be alone without any support and no penny to our name, I don't fancy fighting these hardcore assassins nor working under them ( I admit, we do actually have pretty decent skills for that kind of work. ). At least with pirate hunt we have other pugilists and crew fighting with us and we are just facing pirates not expensive elite assasins.

B sounds like a better bet since it might allow us to get more involved in scholarly matters and art as we try to negotiate our way through the situation. We're already pretty fucking good as a fighter, plus we got a good skill boost against Guo Fu during the tournament, so maybe improving our "soft" skills would be a smart idea, since we've been neglecting them in favour of wrestling tigers over the last couple of years. Hell, even a brutal badass like Zhang is probably well-versed in arts and poetry, being a long-standing fellow at Luoying Manor and all

True and it would be good idea to improve scholar knowledge and artistic skills in long term, but A Gives us better short term deals. With A we are guaranteed to earn cash and we gain more battle experience for Zhang challenge, thought Having favor even one merchant family could open intresting options in future.

However, we really ought to go with C. We've hit on our first lead in three years, and we can leverage our reputation as Zhang's apprentice in a place like the Black Dragon Society's headquarters. In just the last update, everybody was saying "Fuck the money! Free Jim Profit Xiahou Yu!" so I don't see why everyone is seeing it as a big deal now. Yeah, the money is very nice and will likely open a few doors, but that's not what we're concerned with

Keep in mind that we didn't actually use money to enter the place, in fact we earned more money. And when we used money to free scholarbro, we did so that we didn't earn ire of the house. So far I would say that money, Yao's protective sheat and speech skills has been our most used and best resource during actual investigation, also without money we wouldn't got scholarbro so smoothly as we did.

Jester

Arbiter
Cant we ask our bro to give us few lessons during our travel? I know that it wouldn't be much, still if we are so bad at it this small amount should help quite a bit.

Shouldn't we get title like savior of brothel brother? :D

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Cant we ask our bro to give us few lessons during our travel? I know that it wouldn't be much, still if we are so bad at it this small amount should help quite a bit.

That is good idea, we could even offer him to teach sword skills or unarmed skills as a trade. I would hesitate to teach him actual techniques since Zhang will kill us if we teach his and I wouldn't want to ruin relations with beggars to teach their techniques, while I have doubts how effective our own techniques are.

Shouldn't we get title like savior of brothel brother? :D

More like spoiler of brother, do you have any idea how effective scholarbro has been in training their endurance or how many duels of whores we just did end? :D

Rex Feral

Prophet
C>A

Those rumors are valuable because they are recent. They won't be anymore if we go pirate hunting.

Kipeci

Arcane
Point taken, but we are travelling to their headquarters. I doubt they are moving anytime soon.
Could I be forgiven for thinking that the home base of an organization that attempted to assassinate the crown prince might take the care to move around from time to time, just in case a situation such as this pops up?

Anyway, I won't be able to respond to your other arguments for a few hours, but I will get back to them.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To be fair, Yuhua Hall doubles as one of the biggest information agencies:
“I will be heading down to Yangzhou after this,” says Xiahou Yu. “I have heard that there is a respected place called Yuhua Hall which is known for its information-gathering capabilities. Hopefully I will find some leads there.” You suppose a brothel does hear many gossip from its customers, and it is respected in its own way, but Yu doesn’t appear to know that it is one.

Esquilax

Arcane
treave, did Yu run into Liu Chanfeng before or after our encounter with her in the steppes? Jing should be able to figure this out if Yu tells us when he was rescued.

That is good idea, we could even offer him to teach sword skills or unarmed skills as a trade. I would hesitate to teach him actual techniques since Zhang will kill us if we teach his and I wouldn't want to ruin relations with beggars to teach their techniques, while I have doubts how effective our own techniques are.

I agree that we shouldn't impart the Xianglong Palms because even Qi Liuwu could get into shit for sharing techniques with outsiders. So it stands to reason that we could get into far deeper shit for doing the same. As for teaching Yu some of Zhang's techniques, I very much doubt that our Master would kill us over that. Zhang might be a madman, but he's generally extremely hands-off about what we do and only seems to care about our mission. However, if he somehow does find out that we've taught Yu some of the Shouwang Claws, maybe our Master would be tempted to take Yu in as another apprentice.

:troll:

Are they recent? The guy was stuck here for two years - for all we know those rumours are that old as well.

I’ve found out that she was recently spotted together with members of the Black Dragon Society, which has its headquarters in the vicinity of Xiangyang.

As Nevill said, Yuhua Hall is a place of information, so Yu isn't blind to the goings on in the world.

I understand that everybody wants to head into the Black Dragon Society HQ with a lot of money in tow and well-prepared (and because pirates), but she could be planning another assassination with this group. Now, that's just speculation on my part and maybe we should prepare ourselves by going on a sidequest before we head into the belly of the beast, but I find it difficult to let this lead slip.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Could I be forgiven for thinking that the home base of an organization that attempted to assassinate the crown prince might take the care to move around from time to time, just in case a situation such as this pops up?

I doubt that anyone else, but the WIB could regognize us if she kept taps on us. Were like 12-14 year old when we met and for perhaps at tops 5 minutes? Iif she knows that we were adjutant then she has good reason to believe we are dead due to our failure to protect prince. Besides we have changed psychically great deal, we are hulking beast of man who has traveled world for years, not some soft palace boy no longer. Honestly I don't think that their recognize us as crown's prince right hand, but as travelling powerful unorthodox fighter and Zhang's appearance

We also entered as large muscular traveling merchant selling condoms, who for some reason paid of some no note of scholar out of his dept. Strange, but I doubt that they suddenly connect dots that condom seller is relatively famous Southern mania'c appearance and forgotten crown prince's servant. Besides all kind of pugilists visit the city, strong and weak, unorthodox and orthodox, unknown and famous. We are strong and have some fame, but we still have long way to go even to be considered one of most powerful pugilists. They would have to be on constant move if someone like us is even remotely near them. Not to mention we would be on their homeground where they have all the advantages, they could poison us, hire assassins to kill us, make traps for us, or just kick out ass as whole group.

Pirate hunting sounds like great misdirection for these guys.
" hey remember that guy who asked about us?"
" Yeah, is that disgusting man coming here?
" Nope, he went to hunt pirates, luckily for us that men are so stupid that they are distracted that we don't need to worry for someone to bust our asses"
" Yeah, Now I have time to get proper tan!"

They don't know our motives, they are on their hometurf where their master probably resides, they assasin guild at the next door and we don't come knocking as soon as we caught their scent then they probably don't expect us. We might be able to kill few people in there, but their masters and senior disciples tear us apart when they attack in group. In short they don't have to worry that we destroy their sect, they may even consider us as opportunity if we have enought cash to be considered as potential customer.

I don't think that WIB considers us such big threat that they have to move out of their en masse at sight of us. Hell Frathouse boys probably has using whorehouse's service during their entire existence and they probably still didn't move out at sight of them and Frathouse boys are definitely way stronger than we are.

Besides Do we even know what we do there when we arrive there apart from usual investigation. Do we just try to kill them all? Do we try cross-dress as girl to infiltrate their ranks? do we just go there, investigate what we can as a man and try to send report to prince?

As for teaching Yu some of Zhang's techniques, I very much doubt that our Master would kill us over that. Zhang might be a madman, but he's generally extremely hands-off about what we do and only seems to care about our mission. However, if he somehow does find out that we've taught Yu some of the Shouwang Claws, maybe our Master would be tempted to take Yu in as another apprentice.

:troll:

I-I don't even want to think what Zhang would do if he finds about Yu's inner beast :mhd: :what:

As Nevill said, Yuhua Hall is a place of information, so Yu isn't blind to the goings on in the world.

I understand that everybody wants to head into the Black Dragon Society HQ with a lot of money in tow and well-prepared (and because pirates), but she could be planning another assassination with this group. Now, that's just speculation on my part and maybe we should prepare ourselves by going on a sidequest before we head into the belly of the beast, but I find it difficult to let this lead slip

True, but I think the question is what can we do there with money or no money. I don't think that we are powerful enough to destroy them in single confrontation and Scholarbro will most likely to betray us if we try to do that. At laest with money we can buy passage for us that is quicker than walking if we want to report to prince. Money can even helps us, if we want to sabotage them, since we then need supplies, bribes and even buy help from assassins to do something

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A>B. We need more money and we need to see what scholarbro is capable. We can learn more about scholar skills and artistic skills from Yu as we travel.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What is this "inner beast" that you seem to think the scholar has? And why did he not release it when his home was attacked?

All we know about his history with the brothel is what he's been told, after he'd drunk himself unconscious. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
What is this "inner beast" that you seem to think the scholar has? And why did he not release it when his home was attacked?

Maybe he did,but it wasn't enough.We barely survived our own attack and it was thanks to our qi and the prince, despite having some sort of chaos qi we only managed to survive the attack and we even had allies then.

All we know about his history with the brothel is what he's been told, after he'd drunk himself unconscious. :M

True, it might just be that scholarbro is incredible naive for believing that he fucked twice all of the prostitutes or maybe he knows that he has unique. Maybe some wise scholar noticed and told him about, maybe he was smart enough to learn on his own by experimenting and using his brain to figure out that he doesn't have normal qi. I don't think that Yu is such a fool to believe that he managed to archieve such feat, if he didn't suspect or know that he has such power that allows him to do so.

EDIT: I also doubt that brothel would still be standing if they tried to use such risky tricking against their customers. Let's face it, most people aren't sober when they enter there yet Yu was only one that we have heard ( yet) to manage that feat. This is highly reputable brother and I doubt they would risk their reputation for one penniless scholar if they don't have some proof

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane

All we know about his history with the brothel is what he's been told, after he'd drunk himself unconscious.

Well, from metagaming we know that each of the five backgrounds here had a unique trait, such as Jing's chaotic qi or the Immortal's Eyes trait that Cao'er possesses. It's just silly speculation on all of our parts, but Scholarbro gives me a bit of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde vibe so perhaps that inner beast is his special ability. Either that, or as you said, the brothel conned him into servitude because they knew he was smart, broke, good with numbers, and incredibly naive. Good accountants don't come cheap after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom