Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A

But if it comes to choosing between the girl and the pirate leader's head, I'll choose the girl.

^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Oh there goes what's left of our rep with the orthodoxy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    What about keeping the guy's daughter alive? What happens if she gets killed? We'll probably be accused of kidnapping her and with her dead there will be no one to refute it. All the pugilists will hate us and attack us. Also, what happens if her friend doesn't want to be "saved" from her new life as a pirate? What if she rats us out to the pirates in order to warn them of the attack? Can we really handle an entire army of pirates on our own?

edit: I'm not wholly against A, but these are questions that need to be answered if we are going that route.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Good questions. For the first one, if there is any real risk to her I say we pack her in a boat and send her back, with our scholar to make sure she doesn't get any more bright ideas. We can tell her we got it from here, and it's not like she can do much to resist us. As for the pirate girl, I don't care one bit if she likes it there. If we are going after her we should be doing it SWAT style. Take her ass down, tie her up and deliver her to the extraction point.

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Let's not delay the inevitable. Flopping to A.

A kingdom for the update!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    ^ Top  
  6. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Fine we could go with C and pursue the same objectives for all I care. The only difference is that we put her dad lock her in the closet while we kill pirates. And we'll have to kidnap that girl.

Or how about we do A with a change. We go there before the attack kill the leader and find the girl...but without her. WE first go and make her dad lock her up somewhere so she doesn't do anything stupid.

^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can't afford a boat by yourself.

Huh, guess money is important...

^ Top  
  8. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Who said we were paying for it ?

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We can't really be called Zhang Jue's disciple if we can't swim all the way to the island, now can we?

^ Top  
  10. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    We could steal a boat if it's short distance that can be reached by a small boat. Else we could threaten our way on a boat, kill someone to make a point, persuade ourselves on a boat and if all else fails, swimming is always an option.

^ Top  
  11. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Why bother stealing it? She's probably just buying a passage on a boat. So, once we get on board and set sail just throw her crazy ass overboard while still in harbour (though do get a description of her friend before that). What's she gonna do, tell her father? :lol:

I'm really hoping that the island in question is not just a small rock. It there is some jungle on it and we get them to chase us we could pick them off one by one, predator style. Of course, we would have to seriously piss them off and make their retreat impossible at the same time, like say, burning down their ships while we still have the element of surprise.

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm sure you are all great navigators and sailors who brave the seven seas by only the light of Polaris, but that doesn't mean your character is one.

Anyway, work taking longer than expected, update will probably only be out tomorrow.

^ Top  
  13. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Wait, this girl will navigate us there? How does she even know where the island is? I though she would also be hiring an experienced skipper to get us there.

Also, :( about there not being an update today. How can you take your personal life and livelihood over updating this LP ?!

^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah, we gonna paint the boat in the colour of bling, lure pirates to it, and then steal THEIR boat while they have to stay afloat on a boat with a fucked up rudder and a few fist sized holes in the bottom.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Come on, while stealing a ship we would have thought about kidnapping an experienced skipper to guide us there. It's time we put the MAXIMUM FUCK in this thread.

^ Top  
  16. Kashmir Slippers Augur

Kashmir Slippers
    Yeah, lets take on a dangerous mission that we totally don't have to do. It is not like we have our personal honor at stake with another challenge that we accepted last update...

:M

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That's the cool part about this:
    We can prepare the island for the assault and sabotage the pirates while we're on that island, tipping the scales in our favor.

^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That's a lot of stuff. I mean, sabotage the ships, kill their leader, rescue Miss Zhou's friend and her husband... how will we do all of that?

Bros, after sleeping on it, the mission here doesn't seem nearly as awesome as it used to. I think it comes down to taking on too many obligations. Consider what will happen if we come into the island right now, look at what our goals will be:

(1) take the pirate leader's head
    (2) save Miss Zhou's friend and her husband

If it were just one of these goals, I'd be fine with it, but we can't just accept a challenge then fuck off and do something else. We've put our reputation on the line such that if we lose, our respect in the pugilistic world plummets because we lost to a bunch of no-name schools that weren't even present at the tournament. I initially thought that this would be an opportunity to get a head start and take out the pirate leader before the rest of the pugilists arrive, but we'd have to accomplish both goals while we're there, which seems a bit impossible given the number of pirates. Killing a hundred pirates might be trivial for the likes of Master Zhang, but we're not there yet.

Having your cake and eating at rarely seems to work out in these LP's, and I think that this is quickly becoming a good example of that. I am not okay with alerting the pirates and giving them advance warning just to save one person when we have 122 pugilists putting their lives on the line as well. I mean, if we'd chosen C in the previous choice, this little excursion might be a good idea because we wouldn't have the extra condition of taking the pirate leader's head, but now we have to.

Flopping to C, but I could flop back to A.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We're not saving the friend's husband, though, don't know where people are getting that from.
    And I'm pretty sure that between the three of them, our team will come up with something. Even getting a general idea of the base's layout or poisoning their leader with Quilin's special will suffice.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We're not saving the girl either, but you don't know this yet. :D

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Wait, her husband? Who cares about him? I barely care abut the pirate girl - just grab her and drag her away. I think the primary targets must be their ships - if we damage those they are stuck here. Secondary targets are the boss and the girl. If we take one of those we just have to worry about the other when the cavalry arrives. Oh, and targets of opportunity are well, everyone. The more pirates we take out the easier work our allies have when they show up.

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    If we take out their leader and their means of retreating, they might just surrender. I don't know whether the pugilists will accept it, but it is another plan on how the girl can be saved, if we would actually bother to save her.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It's just as simple as this: we take a risk and I feel pretty confident that taking said risk is the best thing to do in this situation. We get a chance to set up the battlefield to our advantage in A, even if it is something completely minor like memorizing the layout of the island and the captain's location, or spiking their supplies with laxatives or what have you. Are we going to turn this into a Rambo-style sabotage? Probably not, if we want our trio to make it off the island alive (I'm not even mentioning the friend we're asked to save at that point). But it lts us increase our chances of victory in the challenge, definitely.
    That, and I really love Jing's "grumpy helper" streak, a hot babe just asked us to save another hot babe on a balls-out daring raid to an island full of pirates that we can fuck with at our discretion. The planning is up to us, she provides the boat and the happy ending.

Are we going to "get our cake and eat it too?" Probably not, but we definitely can make some sabotage on the island, just enough to help tilt it in our favor, and rescue the girl. If the above two points aren't enough to hold your interest, well, I've got nothing.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hey, put the two of them on a bus boat and let them steer away from the island. Then help yourself.

This is quickly turning from 'all the loot you can carry' into 'all the chicks you can carry' type of the mission.

Fixed it for you.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We did sign up for the mission to take back pirate booty.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.