Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't worry, your approval fills me with shame, too.

asxetos

Augur
They will strike once they think Zhou is safe because they think they have the advantage and they believe they are doing the right thing.
Plus, the Songfeng disciples might try something stupid anyway.
Also we will be in deep shit when Master Zhou sees we brought his daughter to the island.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We have zero chance to convince anyone of anything by ourselves, but the word of Miss Zhou will carry weight. We can expect them to listen, at the very least. And it is in her interest to argue for peace, since her friend lives here, and she risked her life to ensure her safety.

Keep in your mind that Zhou manor have to also consider their reputation. They are the ones who organized this with Yuhou Hall, they are the ones who are leading this invasion, they are the ones whose reputation is at most risk here. Miss Zhou may be part of the master family, but she does not command them, her father and brother does. Furthermore they have to honor their side of deal with Yuhuo hall, the brothel financed this attack and Zhou manor are obligated to carry out this operation. The question remains does her family love her more than fear of losing their face amongst other schools, yuhou hall and merchants in the city. I imagine that pressure is pretty intensive and I am not sure that their lover for their daughter is stronger than that pressure.

Between the both of us, and when the pugilists will see that the pirates are much tougher target than they initially had thought - and when they see there is a whole settlement here that exists with the silent approval from the government - we have a chance to set things right for everyone.

The pugilists also have to consider their reputation, because most of them are small schools and competition at those levels are pretty intensive. What do you think happens when word gets out that their martial arts isn't strong enough to handle pirates? They loose students faster than Southern maniac lose his students. They have to also consider surviving as school and I fear that one family love to their daughter and charismatic rogue pugilist is not enough to turn the tide towards the peace. Remember that while pirates have silent approval from the goverment, they still engaged in piracy and local people support the schools, because they play pretty big role in protecting them. What happens when common people think that schools aren't protecting them? Schools receive less material supports and potential students go to schools who are powerful enought to fight pirates and are not afraid to fight them.

Edit: Chinese names, I always get them wrong

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
A2>A1>C>b

Not like a hostage situation where we threaten to kill her and such, I would prefer if we could convince her that our point of view is right so that she could convince her father likewise.

Nevill

Arcane
asxetos said:
They will strike once they think Zhou is safe because they think they have the advantage and they believe they are doing the right thing.
By then they will know they will be striking not at some pirate lair, but at a settlement with women and children that legally exists on our lands. It is somewhat different from what they know now. They are here for glory, and this situation is dubious at best. If they exterminate them all to the last kid, it will not exactly make them more famous the way they want to. Most of them will just shrug and leave, not willing to deal with this mess further.

Not to mention Yuhua Hall might call off their support if they learn of what exactly is going on here. In fact, I expect them to help us solve this.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
It is still 'some pirate lair'. All of you have been pretty eager to point out the 'piracy' aspect throughout this waste of our time.

Nevill

Arcane
It is also a settlement, too.

Thing is, they imagined going into a bandit hideout, carving their way through some cuttthroats, taking loot and making a name for themselves.

Which kind of falls flat on its face when they leave a hundred or so women and kids to starve in their wake. It stops being a job they signed up for.

Baltika9

Arcane
We have zero chance to convince anyone of anything by ourselves, but the word of Miss Zhou will carry weight. We can expect them to listen, at the very least. And it is in her interest to argue for peace, since her friend lives here, and she risked her life to ensure her safety.

Between the both of us, and when the pugilists will see that the pirates are much tougher target than they initially had thought - and when they see there is a whole settlement here that exists with the silent approval from the government - we have a chance to set things right for everyone.
Well, Miss Zhou will definitely side with the pirates, she's very sympathetic to their cause. I actually wouldn't be surprised if she became another follower after this. That, or bedroom gymnastics, it's about damned time.
Nevill you are correct that the battle will take place, and the pugilists are in for a big surprise.
Thats also exactly what is needed to convince them of who they are up against.
If we go with A, i dont think they are going to accept the negotiations if they see a chance to strike.
They need to get bloodied, and we need to intervene before it gets too serious and start the negotiations.
No, when battle is joined, it will be to the death and we won't be able to get a word in while swords are drawn. Anything else is wishful thinking, nobody is going to listen to Zhang Jue's apprentice prattle on about peace, love and understanding. FFS, that's the whole point of going A2, we force them to listen.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
By then they will know they will be striking not at some pirate lair, but at a settlement with women and children that legally exists on our lands. It is somewhat different from what they know now. They are here for glory, and this situation is dubious at best. If they exterminate them all to the last kid, it will not exactly make them more famous the way they want to. Most of them will just shrug and leave, not willing to deal with this mess further.

Not to mention Yuhua Hall might call off their support if they learn of what exactly is going on here. In fact, I expect them to help us solve this.

It is also a settlement, too.

Thing is, they imagined going into a bandit hideout, carving their way through some cuttthroats, taking loot and making a name for themselves.

Which kind of falls flat on its face when they leave a hundred or so women and kids to starve in their wake. It stops being a job they signed up for.

Remember that those women have bows and will and skill to use them. Here is something to remind everyone about way of martial arts in this world.

Wang Zhengchong replies solemnly. “Your master is a killer and a dangerous man, there is no doubt about that, but there is not one of us here who has not taken a life in the past. It is not our place to judge his way of martial arts. As far as I know, he only uses his power on those already involved in the pugilistic world. When you step into the jianghu, you must be ready to risk your life whether you walk the orthodox or unorthodox path. Of course, in the orthodox sects we try to minimize that risk and avoid pointless loss of life, but the danger is still present. His methods are cruel but not entirely out of place. Besides, as his former masters we cannot lay the blame entirely on him… but that is not a story that concerns us today.”

Yes they will be shocked to find women and children there, until arrows start hitting them and then they will at laest attack the women. I imagine that only children will spared from the attack, but the orthodox would have finished what they started.

We might able to convince them with Miss zhou and Jing is pretty good talker, but I fear we need something more. Scholarbro could make some compelling arguments for pirates, if he was sympathetic towards them but we have no idea what he feels towards them. But at laest miss zhou would give us chance to open negotiations and that is big help from her, but I am not sure that how much more she can bring to table. I fear that Jing will need more power in his arguments for peace if we want to succeed, but we still don't know where that extra voice will be coming from.

Nevill

Arcane
Remember that those women have bows and will and skill to use them.
Yes, which is why they they will get slaughtered, or disarmed and subsequently dead from starvation in B/C. Does not make the pugilists who do so any more famous.

Yes they will be shocked to find women and children there, until arrows start hitting them and then they will at least attack the women.
There will be no immediate attack in A2. Arrows won't start flying. And the presence of women and children will make the pugilists question what they are doing here. Most of them won't come back for a second attack if they learn about the settlement.

I think Miss Zhou's words would be enogh to get them to listen. Everything else from there will just contribute to making the situation more convoluted, and thus reinforce her words.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
"If you don't fold, I will kill you all." Enough of an argument?

Works for Zhang Jue, I don't see how it couldn't work for us

edit: failing in wtiting:rage:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
The orthodoxes were scared shitless back in the meeting, the only ones that will possibly stand up to us are the Songfeng.
Shit, told you guys we should've kicked their asses.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Yes, which is why they they will get slaughtered, or disarmed and subsequently dead from starvation in B/C. Does not make the pugilists who do so any more famous.

Oh yes, I am sure that they will tell the true version what happened there. I am sure that those that the tale of the word tells us that they were she-demons in the trees and their reales arrows on hellish numbers and accuracy while their eys glint maliciously and their laughter filled the forest.

There will be no immediate attack in A2. Arrows won't start flying. And the presence of women and children will make the pugilists question what they are doing here. Most of them won't come back fro a second attack if they learn about the settlement.

I think Miss Zhou words would be enogh to get them to listen. Everything else from there will just contribute to making the situation more convoluted, and thus reinforce her words.

Bringing women and children to meet angry men, who also happen to be competent in fighting? No...Just no. The pirate leader decides who goes to meeting and who does not, we don't get to decide anything on that part expect miss Zhou and scholarbro. The pirate guy definitely will not bring children there and the women might allowed to come there, but only where they are most efficient with bows. Remember this guy expects a bloody battle to happen, he will not put all of his hope to Tigerbro suggestion.

Edit (because I fail at writing at this evening): No there won't be a attack immediatly, but there is big chance it might start anyway despite our attempts

Nevill

Arcane
Oh yes, I am sure that they will tell the true version what happened there.
What, all 122 of them are scum that would try to conceal what happened, and will be consistent about it? These people consider themselves the righteous sort, there are bound to be those who will be disgusted by the deed. Truth will get out with so many different factions present.

Bringing women and children to meet angry men, who also happen to be competent in fighting? No...Just no.
Why would they need to be there for all to see? If Miss Zhou says there is a settlement with women and children, why would the pugilists doubt her? Besides, they are bowmen... er, bowwomen. Some ot them will be there.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
What, all 122 of them are scum that would try to conceal what happened, and will be consistent about it? These people consider themselves the righteous sort, there are bound to be those who will be disgusted by the deed. Truth will get out with so many different factions present

Well perhaps I embellished it bit too much, but the point is that, if diplomacy fails and they start fighting, then none of them see it dishonorable to defending themselves against archers. They may consider themselves honorable and I believe that they are, but they have to think reputation that they and the schools get, if they start talking that they killed women who were only defending their homes ( admittedly pirate women or wife of the pirate, but still mama bears defending their home and cups. ) .

Why would they need to be there for all to see? If Miss Zhou says there is a settlement with women and children, why would the pugilists doubt her? Besides, they are bowmen... er, bowwomen. Some ot them will be there

Well, maybe her father knows why she originally went to island? Maybe they think that she is so desperate to save her friend that she lies? Or maybe they actually believe her, but still think that women are pirate scum and children would be probably be better of without them? Perhaps they just don't consider nippon people as intelligent humans, but blood thirsty barbarians from island? Perhaps they care more about families on the mainland than some pirating foreigners?

Nevill

Arcane
Well, all I'm saying is that the more they learn about the situation (the settlement, the legal status of Nippon people, the kids, Miss Zhou's involvement, etc), the less they would be willing to commit to the attack, and the more they would be inclined to say "fuck that, I didn't sign for this".

If we can get the pirates to promise to stop the raids (and possibly compensate people for the damage they did/enlist them in the coastal guard) in exchange for supplies, there will be very few that would still wish to fight.

Baltika9

Arcane
There's no way for us to stop the raids and enlist them into service publically without revealong our ties to Shun. Just not doable.
The way A2 will probably go down is, we play up our 'villain' persona with the hostage and force them into negotiations with the Minamori, acting as the strong arm in case the orthodoxes get uppity. Basically, we'll be 'the offer they can't refuse.'

Nevill

Arcane
You sure that having Miss Zhou willingly support us, which she is ready to do, is not better?

And these people are already chasing the other pirates off. It is just a matter of acknowledging the fact. We can't do so legally at the moment, but I think that formalities are the last thing we need to worry about here.

Seriously, the only thing these people need to stop the raids is to be allowed to trade for food. They have the money and the will to part with them.

It is either this, or a battle that will claim hundreds of lives. I think most people would prefer to just let them trade.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well, all I'm saying is that the more they learn about the situation (the settlement, the legal status of Nippon people, the kids, Miss Zhou's involvement, etc), the less they would be willing to commit to the attack, and the more they would be inclined to say "fuck that, I didn't sign for this".

If we can get the pirates to promise to stop the raids (and possibly compensate people for the damage they did/enlist them in the coastal guard) in exchange for supplies, there will be very few that would still wish to fight.

well it could be decent possible, but we would have to someone who could actually arrange all that trading and enlisting themselves offical as militia coastguard because I just don't see tigerbro able to come up himself and he doesn't have the influence to arrang trading and coastal guard thing.

There's no way for us to stop the raids and enlist them into service publically without revealong our ties to Shun. Just not doable.
The way A2 will probably go down is, we play up our 'villain' persona with the hostage and force them into negotiations with the Minamori, acting as the strong arm in case the orthodoxes get uppity. Basically, we'll be 'the offer they can't refuse.'

There are many ways to twist arm of corrupted official, I bet the prefect had done some business in brothel that he doesn't want his wife find out. Maybe we can get scholarbro to think how hilariously downhill his career will go down once he has found out every law breaking thing he has done it and somehow bringing up to people who actually want bureaucracy to run as intended. Then I forgot that we would have to explain how we could get trading and guard duty beginning. Yes we would have to play up our villain personality

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Yuhua Hall can act as a mediator between the parties. They have the influence to do so, and they can arrange for a trade agreement with Wo people. Not so much for enlisting them in the military, but all we need for now is a recognition of their existing status.

And since the prostitutes have taken an interest in us, I think they would comply with our requests, as they clearly work to the benefit of all involved. They certainly wouldn't be the ones blinded by the concept of honor and saving face.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yuhua Hall can act as a mediator between the parties. They have the influence to do so, and they can arrange for a trade agreement with Wo people. Not so much for enlisting them in the military, but all we need for now is a recognition of their existing status.

And since the prostitutes have taken an interest in us, I think they would comply with our requests, as they clearly work to the benefit of all involved. They certainly wouldn't be the ones blinded by the concept of honor and saving face.
For that to work, we'd have to get in touch with them before the raid begins.

Nevill

Arcane
Interesting.

treave, can we let Miss Zhou stay here with our scholar friend and then return to the mainland? I don't think it will matter much to our plan if we stay on the island or leave in A2.

I think we can get Yuhua Hall on our side.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
's a thought, true enough. Pirates might have more inclination to be regular patrons of Yuhua hall, there's that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom