Official RPG Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

  1. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    I still say that it is safer for us in the middle of nowhere with ghosts, a crazy Taoist monk and an alcoholic scholar; then it is in the middle of Chinese city after what we;ve just done. Jing can barely defend himself against a bandit right now,
    if the locals decide they want a piece of us then, well, ouch.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    I feel that both options are going to be equally risky; fox spirits can fight back real hard when they're pissed. Just saying.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    So we'll just have to enter deep negotiations, so that they don't get angry.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,120
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think the locals would rather prefer to maintain their distance from the crazy guy that fends off small armies by himself.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Circumstances have a way of changing when you don't prioritize the mission and go chasing after pirates and putting your life on the line for them.

    Yes, we need to heal, but I think we could at least go after the WIB and monitor them - injuries or no. You never know when they might pack up shop and move on. Granted, checking them out would have been easier with stealth, but....
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,826
    We have no way of predicting what a hypothetical confrontation with Chanfeng would look like. It might involve Yu, circumstances could change, we might not confront her in the way that you're envisioning at all. My point here is that you seem to be implying that there is only one successful way that a confrontation with Chanfeng can go down in our favour: if we do so directly, with our true identity revealed to Yu. But we don't even know how a meeting with her would go down to begin with, so we can barely even begin to speculate. It all boils down to this for me: what's more important in the grand scheme of things? Going on some idiotic sidequest when we've already spent a good deal of time doing things unrelated to our goals, or (finally) making some headway to investigating the dark, underground world of the pugilistic sects... which is the entire overarching goal of our character? I didn't like the fact that we went on the pirate mission, but I was willing to see it through to the end and I thought that fighting the pugilist force would be good for our rep with the seedier side of the pugilistic world, so it was worth it to me, but this is just way too fucking much? When are we going to stop putting off doing what our character needs to do?

    Really, there is absolutely no fucking reason to choose going on a ghost hunt over investigating our mission further. If you still want to go because lolghosts, fine, but don't rationalize it beyond that.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,345
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Yessss...

    Soon, I will have accumulated enough energy to complete my transformation into....


    The BUTTHURTOMANCER!:yeah:
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Night at the Mansion

    A plain, gloomy ceiling makes itself the first thing your eyes see when they open. Your mind feels fuzzy, as if a dozen drunken martial artists had danced upon it with their tramping feet. It looks like you are in someone’s bedroom. A single candle is the only thing that shines in this place. There are windows, but it appears to be dark outside. The air is deathly still; there is no breeze to speak of, nor are there any insects singing their nocturnal song. Suddenly, a great flash of light illuminates the entire room. The thunder arrives just a beat behind, loud enough to rattle the wooden frames of the windows. Then, the silence of the night is abruptly disturbed by a torrent of rain, pouring down from the heavens without end as if Yu Shi desired to flood the world.

    How did you get here? Your memories are still faint, but you vaguely recall meeting the Taoist Zhong Hai while sheltering from another thunderstorm with Xiahou Yu. The both of you had opted to follow him on an exorcism. After that, you had reached a village – you do not recall how long it took you to get there – where the elder had provided Zhong Hai with more details about his mission. It seems that ghosts had been kidnapping their young men, swooping down in the middle of the night and spiriting them away. The elder claimed that these men had been taken to an abandoned mansion up in the hills. You remember little after that, only that you had reached the mansion without any obstacles. There had been something off about the courtyard as you marched towards the entrance… horses? You recall seeing four horses, and wondering why there would be any. Then, you had stepped across the threshold of the main doors.

    The next thing you knew, you were in this room.

    You sit up on the admittedly comfortable bed and close your eyes. As you focus, the sound of the raindrops become sharper, each patter a distinct note to your ears. You breathe in, sensing the humid air and the slight breeze that has sprung up. The room is very dusty, rewarding you with an irritated nose. You sneeze. The temperature is cold – any colder and your breath would create puffs. You do not, however, hear any living thing.

    Opening your eyes again, you get up from the bed. There is no other furniture here besides the bed and the table upon which the candle is set. From the dust, it does not seem like anyone has been in here for quite some time. You check your possessions; the talismans that Zhong Hai gave you are still there, folded up safely in your clothes. Plucking the candle from the table, you hold it out in front of you to light your way. You fumble for the door, pushing at it. It is locked, barred from within. You look around you again – there is no place for anyone to hide, not even under the small bed. The windows too are barred from the inside. How strange. It would be spooky, if not for the fact that Master Zhang once told you of a master assassin who could contort himself through the smallest spaces. Sadly, he found himself in a box one day, having been tricked by his mark, and ended up in several boxes soon after. This is not anything you would need to resort to ghosts to explain… you think.

    Shrugging, you unbar the door and let yourself out.

    The corridor outside is dimly lit, with little white lanterns lining the walls at far intervals. Here and there long strips of tattered cloth sway gently, hanging down from the ceiling to about the top of your head. They must have been decorations once, but they are too moth-eaten now for you to be sure. Some of the cloth strips are stained with rusty brown spatters, others tied into loops that you could probably fit a head through. A dyeing process gone wrong? The artistic tastes of the mansion’s inhabitants? You will never know, you suppose.

    Looking to your left and right, the corridor seems to recede into infinite darkness. There seems to be no difference as to which way you pick. You decide to just step forward on a whim, your candle jutting out in front of you. The floorboards creak as you walk, almost in rhythm to the pouring rain and rumbling thunder. Here and there you try to see through the windows, but between the storm and the darkness you cannot make out a single thing outside of the mansion.

    A slight chill runs through you for no reason, and you stop.

    There appears to be a faint melody in the air – someone is humming a tune. There appears to be a door to your left that you have not noticed before. The lanterns in front of you seem to have gone dark – for some reason you do not quite understand, you feel goosebumps whenever you stare into the black void ahead. You turn around – it looks like the path you came from has also been swallowed up by darkness. Perhaps the lanterns have been blown out by a sudden gust of wind? Turning your attention to the room, you see that it is well-lit; you can see the glow of light through the windows. The pleasant voice is coming from somewhere within. It seems to be that of a girl, and the tune is strangely familiar to you; though you do not remember where you have heard it before, it must have been before you left the palace.

    You hear the sound of water splashing unlike that of the rain outside. Whoever is inside is probably bathing…

    ***

    A. You peek. You cannot call yourself a man if you don’t. Besides, there are very legitimate reasons for this, such as… reconnaissance. Yes, that is it. You need to find out who else is here besides you, Xiahou Yu and Zhong Hai. There were horses in the courtyard. There must be some living people here – why would ghosts need horses? If you do not look, you will not find out. Ergo, you must p… reconnoitre.

    B. You do not peek. You are a gentleman. Such actions are very impolite. Of course you aren’t scared of possibly attracting the attention whatever is bathing within, it is just the rudeness of poking a hole through the paper and peering inside that you are against. Nothing to do with fear of the supernatural at all… nothing at all. In fact, to prove your gentlemanly guts, you will knock on the door and attempt to engage the bather in conversation. Politely.

    C. You ignore the bather, opting to tread forward into the darkness alone despite the faint warning of your instincts.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    One of those, eh?
    Naturally, anything to do with danger should be avoided for now, I think, so the choice is between A and B.

    To peek or not to peek, that is the question...
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Elfberserker Liturgist

    Elfberserker
    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    Messages:
    1,540
    Looks like Jing's luck with women seems to strike again.

    I am little suspicious that we have been led right next bathing girl's room, yet going towards darkness is never good thing when ghosts are involved. This is obviously trap for us, but I am interested that Jing remembers the melody. We might get more clues about our origins if we interactive with the lady, but we would be dancing by the tune they have set....For now.

    To peek or not to peek, truly interesting question or we could just walk away towards unknown.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Absinthe Arcane

    Absinthe
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    Messages:
    3,397
    B. I'm not voting A because offending ghosts doesn't end well, and if they're not ghosts it still wouldn't help us. I'm not voting C because our instincts are warning us against that, and our character has Spiritual Instinct now, so I think we should go with our instincts. Besides with a Speech skill of 5 a polite conversation should be fine.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,925
    Ditto. Voting B.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,120
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Oh, God. How come this is even a choice? A.

    Will elaborate later.
     
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    20,158
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    B it is.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,709
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B - Begin Rat... Sphere Ghost Diplomacy
     
    ^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

    The Brazilian Slaughter
    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1,873,328
    Location:
    Belém do Pará
    B
    Let's try politeness, I'm not gonna bother a ghost.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    I dunno about B, guys, this whole situation is showing me a huge red flag:
    So we use our enhanced PER and we hear nothing going on in the house, no living breathing thing and definitely no melody or running water. We get out of the room and proceed down the corridor, where we see cloth strips with dried blood and fashioned into what are most likely nooses. Then we go down a little bit further and "feel a chill," suddenly both our passageways are clogged with an oppressive darkness and the only place even remotely welcoming is inside the room that we oddly haven't noticed before. Moreover, there are sounds of music and water coming from it, sounds that we haven't heard prior to leaving our room.

    Everything in this situation is designed to elicit a particular response, where "outside=bad, scary and dangerous; inside=comfy, warm and bright." The ghost wants to be approached here, and since none of the men taken up to this mansion have returned alive, I'm not so keen on playing into this ghost's hands. It's either A or C for me, recon the area or go look for the expert. I definitely don't want to die here because we decided to "act the gentleman," like we lost the tournament in Quewu Square because we didn't want to cheat.
    Did we just find Jing's real family?
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,826
    Bandwagoners, care to elaborate tour votes with some reasoning here? treave, what sort of talismans did Zhong Hai give us?

    My initial theory here is that a murder-suicide occurred here:

    Rusty brown is the colour of dried blood. The fact that only young men are stolen away by this ghost seems to hint at a lover's quarrel considering the ghost we've just heard is a young woman bathing. I'm not so confident about that, but what I'm a bit more confident about is that some sort of murder-suicide happened here; the victim was cut open, blood splashing on the tattered cloths, then when the killer realized what they had done, they killed themselves. I also think Zhong Hai might have had a hand in this: he's an experienced exorcist who seemed really eccentric when we initially met him - knowing that the ghosts here go after young men, it's plausible that he used Jing and Yu as bait to draw them out.

    Everything that we have encountered thus far has been designed to force us to act in a particular way. We wake up in a room that's completely bare save for a bed and a candle. When we take a path forward that leads us away from where the spirit humming a melody, we're greeted with thunder and creaking floorboards to make us rethink that idea. At the same time, the path that we came from is now covered in darkness. Whatever the intentions of these spirits are, it seems to depend on us doing what they want us to do:

    In some cases, the only winning move is not to play, and this could be an example of that. I think that B is totally off the table here; I am not going to have a conversation with this thing, on its terms, without getting some information about what this particular spirit looks like. It wants to speak to us, but I am not going to meekly play into its hands.

    Voting C, might flop to A
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,709
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I realise the choice is dangerous, if I was of a more practical mindset I would definitely opt for C.

    Buuuut. I want to see ghost diplomacy. Because whilst I don't think its the best choice, I think it's the most interesting.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,826
    Dude, fuck that. What I find ultimately more interesting is not getting the shit kicked out of us every turn because we go through every choice like we have ADHD. There are going to be plenty of interesting options along the way, and setting ourselves up for success seems to provide us with more opportunities to do interesting things later.

    Besides, the whole appeal of Jing is that he isn't a gentleman. :rpgcodex:
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    I'm all for ghost diplomacy, but only once we reconnect with either Yu or the exorcist. As it stand right now, we are still an injured man that can't really run or fight and we know next to nothing about ghosts. I'd rather have someone watching our back in this.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Anti-ghost talismans, of course. Just throw them or something.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    "Throwing Weapons" skill of zero. :troll:
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,709
    Divinity: Original Sin
    After doublechecking C, I'm no longer so sure which choice is the best. Going against our instincts seems like a very bad idea, considering that they have often been the only thing keeping Xu Jing alive.

    If the ghost is really manipulating us, then it would expect us to commit to A, either because we are scared, or because we are horny, we would be expected to want to quietly spy on the source of the only noise occurring inside the house or steer clear of it.

    Brazenly knocking on the door and going, yo, what's up? I don't think that would be anticipated. Given that past victims have been peasants from the local village, not exactly types known for their unending courage when alone, disoriented and frightened.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    Peasant types also are known for their intelligence, a lack of it. I suspect they did B, too scared and confused to do anything else but ask the person "living" here what is going on.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.