Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Man in Black in the Library

“Xu Jing.”

“Xu Jing… You wouldn’t be… No, it doesn’t matter now, does it?” She shakes her head, a slightly melancholic look on her face.

“You are rather strange, aren’t you?” you ask with a laugh. “First you ask my name, then you say it doesn’t matter? Make up your mind.”

“No, I didn’t mean that-”

You interrupt her. “So, now that you know my name, am I expected to keep calling you Holy Maiden in return?”

“…very well,” she replies reluctantly. “Yunzi… that name should do, for you.”

“Yunzi, huh? I have no problems calling you that – it’s less of a sting to my pride than praising the oh-so-Holy Maiden at any rate. It is my unfortunate pleasure to meet you, Miss Yunzi. Shall we be off?” You give her a mocking bow, eliciting a rather nasty glare from the girl. You wonder if it wouldn’t be easier on you to just ditch her somewhere.

After some more walking, you spot something moving in the gloom ahead, near the library entrance. Stopping in your tracks, you reach for another talisman – there are about eight left. “W-what is it?” asks Yunzi nervously. As your eyes focus, you see that it is a man clothed all in black, fiddling with the door. His movements seem unsteady and fatigued. “Do you see? That man?” you whisper. She squints, peering down the dimly lit corridor. “I can barely make him out… wait. That silhouette looks familiar. I think he is one of the leaders that attacked us at Wufushan.”

“Are you certain? I wouldn’t be so sure about recognizing someone from just a silhouette.”

“Shut up. I’ll be certain after I’ve brought him down and taken a good look at him.”

The man opens the door and enters the room. The both of you creep forward quietly. By the time you reach the door, you hear a girl giggling inside. “Well, that can’t be good,” you sigh. “We should go check out the other places, right?” asks Yunzi hopefully. You shake your head. “Of course not. This is perfect. Hold this.” Passing the candle to her, you pull out a talisman. Then, you draw your sword and kick down the door, leaping inside with a shout.

You see the man in the embrace of a pale, half-dressed girl, their lips locked together. Yunzi stifles a gasp behind you. As the ethereal girl draws back, you can see wispy tendrils of fog being drawn into her mouth from the man’s gaping jaws. His eyes have rolled up into his head and his features seem shrivelled. The girl turns her attention to you, her eyes flat and dead. She seems rather solid for a ghost, but there is no fooling your eyes. She is not of the living, not anymore.

The ghostly girl’s nose wrinkles as she sniffs the air in your direction. “The poisonous, foul-tasting boy? It looks like our illusions didn’t cage you as well as we’d hoped. What business do you have with me? You are interrupting my pleasure.”

“Now isn’t that funny?” you say, “I don’t recall asking to be knocked out and put into some lousy room. That should be my line. What business do you have with us?”

The ghost sighs, cradling her meal gently. “I suppose the priest you came with didn’t explain it to you. Why should-“ You dart forward and wave a talisman in her face. With an ugly shriek, she drops the man and shrinks back, backing away from the piece of paper. “I would appreciate some answers,” you ask sweetly. “Fine! Fine!” moans the ghost in a panic. She explains with a hurried shout, “We abduct or seduce young men so that we can partake of their yang energy and transfer it to our mistress, Lady Mi!” Suddenly, your talisman burns up, turning into ashes. It looks like they do not have a long shelf-life. Before you can draw another, the ghost turns incorporeal, fading away with a frightened look on her face and escaping your questioning.

With some disappointment, you turn your attention to the man on the ground. He is breathing, but barely. A glint of metal catches your attention; reaching into his robes, you pull out a silver crest with the Imperial symbol. A high-ranking palace operative? With a start, you peer at his face again. Though the feeding has aged and shrunken him, his face still remains slightly familiar. You are unable to put a name to the face, but you think he might have been a lackey of Grand Eunuch Li. His eyes open, darting wildly around the room. Then, they focus on you.

“Xu Jing, is the coast clear?” asks Yunzi, as if expecting you to clear the room before her royal entry. “C-can I come in?” She seems about to panic. “In a moment,” you call back. “There’s something fishy about the room.”

“Ah…” exhales the man on the floor. His shriveled arm grabs yours – in the dim light you can make out a circular tattoo of a black dragon on his wrist. Could he have some sort of connection with the Black Dragon Society? Even in his weakened state his grip is strong enough that you cannot break it easily. The man’s gaze wanders all over your face, and a sudden light of recognition dawns in his glazed eyes. “You… are you…” he groans.

You look at him impassively. “Xu Jing! H-hurry up! I think there’s a strange wind blowing outside here!” It’s probably just her imagination, but you should decide what to do quickly.

A. You can end his life quickly and bloodlessly – Yunzi would likely be too nervous of her surroundings to check the corpse properly, and you can blame it on the ghost. An agent of the secret police and possible member of the Black Dragon Society that has recognized you and is likely working for Eunuch Li is a person you cannot allow to live.

B. There are too many questions you need to ask him. You keep him alive for now so that you and Yunzi can interrogate him – if he was truly part of the swordsmen that attacked her, this means things are a lot more complicated than you had been led to believe. You can always try to silence him later, though you are not certain you will get a better chance.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
We have to grease him. This individual is likely an Imperial Court infiltrator into the Black Dragon Society, from a different faction than the Prince's. However, I am confident based on the reputation that we have established as Zhang Jue's apprentice and a thorn in the Imperial Court's side that we can get into the Black Dragon Society without this person vouching for us. In our injured state, there is no way that we can take on an operative like this once he gets fully healthy. Not every opportunity for information is worth the risk, and I feel that this is one of those times.

There are a lot of potential dangers in allowing this person to live, and few benefits. Totally not worth the risk, especially since our Infamously Unorthodox reputation would allow us access to the sort of seedy, cutthroat underground that this person has access to as well.

A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B

Given the amount of people here related to our background, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is actually our father or something. I want information, and this guy seems to know us. I know the risks, but I think even in our weakened state, Yunzi and and Xu Jing can take him on.

That said, could someone refresh my memory. What is the Black Dragon Society?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave said:
An agent of the secret police and possible member of the Black Dragon Society that has recognized you and is likely working for Eunuch Li is a person you cannot allow to live.
Why is he dangerous to us? What exactly do we know about the secret police and Eunuch Li?
I mean, Yunzi knows us, and we aren't offing her.

Keeping people that know our agenda alive is a risk, yes, but what exactly are we risking here?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Factions within the Court are more dangerous to the Prince than factions outside the Court, and even less reason to let you live thanks to your reputation prior to exile. It's not like you've made a lot of friends in the corridors of power. You pissed in Eunuch Li's bowl. Furthermore, if you plan to contact the Black Dragon Society, snuffing him now as a precaution against possible meddling might be worth it, if he is already part of them. After all, who will they believe, an established member or a volatile newcomer?

They might be content to let you bumble around now, but once you start investigating in Xiangyang things could change. If they already have an agent in there it means they have an agenda. Of course, this doesn't mean you absolutely have to kill him, but it means he is riskier to your mission than anyone you've met so far, since the Prince does suspect court backing in his assassination attempt. Any palace agent is naturally suspect to Jing.

In the end this is just one possible thought process justifying killing him, of course.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
I think the information is worth the risk. We wanted to infiltrate the Black Dragon Society for info, right? Well, here is it falling into our laps. If we interrogate him here, we might not even need to follow up on the Xiangyang lead or go near the society at all, depending on what we manage to get out of him. Yunzi has incentive to help us against him too, since she thinks he attacked her. Worst comes to worst, we have the Five Poisons Special Powder which I think we can probably use to poison him if he becomes a threat.

Tentatively, B.

Anabanana

Augur
“We abduct or seduce young men so that we can partake of their yangenergy and transfer it to our mistress, Lady Mi!"

I wonder if Lady Ji of Luoyang Manor has a similar arrangement... hence her seeming eternal youth and immortality.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
“We abduct or seduce young men so that we can partake of their yangenergy and transfer it to our mistress, Lady Mi!"

I wonder if Lady Ji of Luoyang Manor has a similar arrangement... hence her seeming eternal youth and immortality.
I daresay when she took our memories/skills she fed on a part of our spirit. I think the scholars around her keep her sustained.

Esquilax

Arcane
Given the amount of people here related to our background, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is actually our father or something. I want information, and this guy seems to know us. I know the risks, but I think even in our weakened state, Yunzi and and Xu Jing can take him on.

That said, could someone refresh my memory. What is the Black Dragon Society?

The Black Dragon Society are an organization of mercenaries and assassins that Liu Chanfeng has connections to:

“I’ve found out that she was recently spotted together with members of the Black Dragon Society, which has its headquarters in the vicinity of Xiangyang. They are a vicious bunch of mercenaries and assassins for hire… I am not sure why Chanfeng would be with them.

Okay, so it's implied that the Court was responsible for the attack on the cult at Wufushan (to what end, we still don't know) but that doesn't justify allowing a man this dangerous to live given that he serves interests that go against our character. It seems like we're taking an incredible amount of risk for what's overall very little gain: we get information on the attack at Wufushan, Grand Eunuch Li's intentions with regards to the Black Dragon Society and potentially information on interactions that this person has had with Chanfeng. The last one is the most useful, but this person serves someone who we are opposed to and he knows everything about us - we will never get another chance like this again. Also, it isn't like we can't seek this information out ourselves with the BDS given our own fearsome rep.

As for a fight, I would suspect that the Emperor's very own secret police would be a whole lot tougher than you describe. Jing and Yunzi may be among the best fighters of their age group, but I'm sure that at this point the Emperor's elite secret police would be able to stomp both Yunzi and Jing in his current condition pretty easily. Anabanana made a good point about the poison we possess, but there remains the matter of how we're going to poison him to begin with. If we want to take him out (and I think we should) there will never be a better time than now.

Well, I'm kind of torn. I certainly see why killing him right here could be a good idea because I advocated that we should be putting as much distance between us and our past as possible. I wonder if the man would have recognized us if Yunzi didn't use our name. We barely recognized him at all. On the other hand, he is a posible lead to somebody in the palace connected to the conspiracy. Is he still working for Li? What is he doing in the Black Dragon Society and what is their role in this whole thing? Just who is the Emperor's secret police working for? If even a part of them has gone rogue / started working for someone else, that could present a most direct threat to the Emperor and to the Prince. These are all very interesting questions.

Ganymede

Learned
So after seeing how ridiculous these discussions can get, Treave decides to send his loyal readers into an apoplexy of speculation.

B
There's not enough information to do anything drastic, and we might need all the help we can get escaping the ghost succubi.

asxetos

Augur
B. We should not start a habbit of killing to protect our identity. Yunzi already knows our true identity anyway (even if she doesnt remember at the momment). On the other hand, if he escapes then his superiors will know of our involvement and whereabouts and that might be a problem. But still, i wouldn't kill over that.

Also, treave i would expect Zing to be a bit more protective and helpful towards Yunzi. Although she was acting like a bitch when we first met her, she clearly has some kind of memory problem and who knows what had happened to her. Why didnt we ask what happened to her and her tribe since we left them?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Also, treave i would expect Zing to be a bit more protective and helpful towards Yunzi. Although she was acting like a bitch when we first met her, she clearly has some kind of memory problem and who knows what had happened to her. Why didnt we ask what happened to her and her tribe since we left them?

The only girl he's been somewhat protective about is Cao'er, thus far, and that was because she needed his protection pre-timeskip. He really isn't the sort who overtly bends over backwards for girls at every possible opportunity. Also, what memory problem? Recognizing a guy that looks somewhat similar to a boy you met three years ago for a few days doesn't mean you can be absolutely certain it is the same person, and she would expect to see him with the prince, not wandering like a hobo. On his part, it's not like he is a hundred percent certain of her identity either, not even now.

Her "doesn't matter" comment seemed to indicate to him that she didn't want to dig up the past at that exact moment, and he only responded in kind, as far as he is concerned. These two aren't exactly known for being able to communicate perfectly and cordially with each other, if indeed she wanted to start having a heart-to-heart. Besides, there's probably a better time and place to talk about these sort of things than inside a haunted mansion.

B

Time for some collar grabbing.
Ok, let there be collar grabbing. B.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get something from this guy (we can threaten to leave him alone to be picked off again), though I would prefer we did that when Yunzi isn't right next to us. The same about taking him out if we need to - we're not in the best of shape, but neither is he and we could just dump him in this place and let ghosts do the work for us. If it becomes necessary - we could use some info before that. We should determine that before running into two of his colleagues that are probably also lost somewhere in the mansion though.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A.
Lets look at our situation.
Facts:

- There are three highly trained imperial police guys, one is currently in our grasps.
- Our group fighting power is much less than these guys and I am including Yunzi for now in our group since we have mutual interest at surviving from these guys. Jing is greatly weakened, we have no idea about scholarbro combat prowess, we have no idea where the priests stands, Yunzi is great young fighter but I doubt she can take two or three of them.
- We are in haunted mansion, which might provide great escape opportunity for our imperial police guy.
- If we are leaving him alive, there is chance that eunoch guy learns about us and we don't have greatest relationship with the guy. At our current state all we can do is hide or run from the eunoch forces, he is too powerful for us to start fighting him. We also lose our surprise element, since they don't have any idea what we are now or where we are.
- We might learn some great information at great risk.
- Might risk our chances to inflirate black dragon society.

I would love capture the guy, but there is too much of risk him escaping since there are two other guys. There is also unpredictable nature of the mansion, but I am not willing to risk that those twists or turns are benetifically for us. We already got some leads from the guy, I say lets us take the winnings and leave nothing for eunoch.

Of course, our whole reasoning that he is too dangerous to let him live pretty much depends on him really being on the opposite side from us and not a loyal servant of the Emperor and that he really did recognize us. And the evidence we have for that is a light of recognition in the eyes of a man in a dark room and the words "you.. are you...". For all we know after what he has just been through his next words could be "...my mother?". We probably should at least let him finish his sentence before killing him.

Baltika9

Arcane
Time for some collar grabbing.
In our injured state, once he recovers, it's our collar that will be grabbed for sure. :lol:

Esquilax put it best and I'm going with A, the Grand Eunich is a right bastard and since this dude reports to him, and since we pissed off the court with our Minamoto exploits, I don't think letting the old castrate know where we are and what we're doing is a good idea. I also don't want him anywhere near Yu.

FFS, out of everyone else, a court assassin is not our friend, I'd feel more comfortable insulting Zhang's mother in his presence than traveling with this guy. Our rep is good enough to get into the BDS with, and he might well sabotage it by letting them know of how ill-suited we are. His word against ours. And what little information he may divulge (pretty sure he knows of our exile, why would he?) isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Tentatively B.

How about we maim him first just to be sure. You know, pull out his eyes, cut his tendons, stuff like that that will make him less dangerous. It's not like he'll be any help to us getting out of here. And if he becomes a burden we could always leave him behind to die.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How about we maim him first just to be sure. You know, pull out his eyes, cut his tendons, stuff like that that will make him less dangerous. It's not like he'll be any help to us getting out of here. And if he becomes a burden we could always leave him behind to die.

Torture a prisoner before leaving him to slowly die while cursing your name and existence in a place known to harbour ghosts? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom