Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Oh man, if only she could read these past few pages on the forum...

AA. Full gentleman-scholar mode.

^ Top  
  2. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    AA - first choice B is just asking for it. "Besides, you have heard before that a kitchen is the least haunted of any place… you think." Really ? And going straight for the exit always goes bad in the movies. Besides we ain't leaving scholarbro here with the poltergeists

Although second choice B is recommended if this is an apparition, I find it hard to believe that the ghost knows our arena nickname,
    several personality traits we displayed during the tournament, our past relationship with Yunzi and still doesn't know our name. Except for the tournament, we never made it a secret. And how would knowing our name help it ? Is it the trust we are offering that would let it posses us ?

Anyway something is definitely fishy. Though I'd bet on that exorcist.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    ^ Top  
  3. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Turned out better than I thought it would...For now. Didn't Holy maiden heard our name during our public announcement during tournament? I don't remember, if we announced our name.

This is strange situation. Talismans seems to work and it didn't do anything to Holy maiden, unless ghost is more cunning than I believe it's. I am still having trouble connecting dots on all female mansion, murders and young men being kidnapped. I mean just what the hell happened here?

The orthodox attack on the fire cult is strange too. We know that there are some shady elements in orthodox sect, but are they capable pulling such big force? Not to mention Fire cultist seems to be pretty damn good fighter from what we have seen. If the story is true then why only would swordsmen attack. The list of suspects is pretty short on major sect side, Wudang sect and Hueshan sect. Surprise attack from either sect doesn't seem their style, especially since the challenge was very public. We know that Hueshan has pricks in upper circles, but this seems to slap too much in face of their dashing honorable swordsmen style.

WIB have agenda to escalate conflict, but swords really doesn't seem to their focus and it was strange that Yunzi only mentioned swordsmen. It could either mean that she meant both women and men warriors or attacking force was just composed from men. There is still too many pieces left to arguing, before making decisions

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Why do you think the talisman worked?

^ Top  
  5. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Ganymede Learned

Ganymede
    AB
    Save the big reveal for something a bit more dramatic.

^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Everybody who voted B, you guys are gigantic fags. Oh well, might as well milk it for all it's worth.
    A- Because guess where Yu is.
    A- This will either turn out sweetly tsundere or with her maiming/killing us right here and now. Still, I think not peeking on her gave us the benefit of the doubt.

^ Top  
  8. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    That combined with the flickering bright/creepy rooms confirms that something supernatural is going on here.

All right, let's go to the library (even if we don't manage to regroup with Yu, we might find something useful) and tell her our name. I don't see any reason for us to hide our identity, even if ghosts or other third parties are listening in. Still wonder who those other three horses belong to though. Perhaps that indicates that the lady of the mansion isn't a ghost.

EDIT:
    BA

^ Top  
  9. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    The orthodox sects tend to be more loose about their code of honour when it comes to targeting unorthodox sects. See how the Zhou Family Manor had no qualms about sneak attacking the pirates. Especially since the Fire Cult made such a flashy challenge to the central plains sects as a whole, I can see them finding such a surprise attack entirely justified. I mean, one of the sects has made seven people ganging up on a single opponent to be one of their signature moves FFS. Orthodox doesn't necessarily mean honorable, just saying.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Either the talisman worked or it's more cunning that I think it's. We do not know how talismans work, perhaps belief alone makes them work and Yunzi was pretty sure they worked there. What we do know that ghost reacts to them somehow either by them actual working or it tricking us.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And better she find out from us, than Yu's blabbering mouth! "Oh, Brother Xu Jing! So glad you found me-and who is this?"
    Let's settle the 'what happened' questions now.
    Honesty also builds trust and trust is integral. We can't build our relationship on lies.
    Lies come later.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Orthodox sects were attacking pirates who were harrasing normal people, I think orthodox rules allows some tactical movement against pirates and bandits. Fire cult is different than your average bandits. They haven't attacked common folk and they did follow rules of very public tournament, if people learned that orthodox schools cowardly sneak attacked on people whose only fault that they dared challenge big eight after wiping floor of their students in tournament then it would be big stain in their honour. Attack of over 100 swordsmen is not something you can easily hide nor organize in secret.

EDIT: If you are referring songfeng disciplines challenging in Zhou manor, remember we were the big man in orthodox eyes and Songfeng students small fries. Besides it was suggested as "friendly" match. If you are referring the beach episode, we kind a challenged all of them in fight.

^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Just to muddy the waters a bit: it is actually possible that you don't need to be a ghost to lie, so I wouldn't use an attempt to pick apart her story as the sole determiner of whether she is a ghost. Not that the story is necessarily false, of course. As usual, you can make of that what you will.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    But they would to push out "foreign devils," as we saw with the Minamoto, Chinese citizens have very little love of foreigners so the sects would get no "face" penalty for doing this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    AA.

She's probably not Yunzi, anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
  17. Stygian Lurker Liturgist

Stygian Lurker
  18. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Minamoto robbed people, fire cult did not
    Fire cult people beat them fairly thoroughly in tournament, Minamoto didn't fight any orthodox schools
    Fire cult issued very public challenge toward major sect, Minamoto did not.

Sneak attacking foreign devils who just beat your crop of better students just screams weakness. Not to mention that Fire cult did play by their rules and it would humiliate orthodox schools, if foreigners forces them to outright break very rules that they themself set up. One could think that maybe Fire cult would be more honorable and stronger than major sects, even if they are foreigners. Surely major sects must have stronger students and masters than firecult despite the setback in tournament, sneak attack would shake very foundations of rules of duelings. It's true that there are some very shady people in orthodox schools, but we still don't have any clear idea which players basically. Heck even imperial swordsmen could just dress in hueshan colours and it could appear to fire cult that orthodox schools attacked. Or maybe hueshan did attack, because if there more schools there would be more variety in weaponry. However this is just pure speculation until we get clearer picture here.

^ Top  
  19. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    CA - let's find the exit and investigate what happened when we first entered. If we can figure out why we lost our memory and woke up in a barred room maybe we can get a clearer picture of what is happening here.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We didn't know Yunzi for more than 3 days or so, but she made an impression of a very straight-faced person, the type who would rather shut up or lash out at you than lie.

Oh, absolutely. Which brings me to my previous question, how do you know that the talismans work?

The way I see it, the following scenario may have happened:

"Hey, human, check out this door. No, don't go exploring the rest of the mansion, check the bathroom first. See? A friend! What do you mean, she is totally human, check it out with that useless trinket of yours! See? Human! Oh, you doubt they work? Let me play with lanterns a bit while you shake the baubles around. You wouldn't know how to use them even if they were real. See? The darkness receded, the amulets work, and thus your friend is not a spirit. Now take her with you and go check out the mansion. And tell her your name, too."

I am in no way arguing that this is what happened, I am just saying that the possibility shoudn't be discarded.

Knowing one's true names usually means that you have power over that person. What sort of power they give may vary from setting to setting.
    Though I agree on the part that if it is the ghost's doing, it already knows plenty about us to not need it.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Exactly. Also, fire cult promised protection to people that the sects allegedly could not grant. Attacking them out of the blue is a very strange move... if that part happened at all.

^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    What exactly is it that we would intend to find in the library, anyways? There's some sort of tenuous connection here that books somehow equal information, but I don't think that this is true in this case. What the fuck are we supposed to do, sit around and read while ghosts lurk around? I just don't see how going to the library is at all relevant to our circumstances or at all beneficial for us. I suppose we might find Yu there, but we ought to consider things a bit more carefully and not assume that going to a library means that every piece of information about this place is suddenly at our convenience.

So I think that our options here should be either heading for the kitchen or the main hall. What we pick now is pretty crucial for us later on:

What little light we have isn't going to last us forever, so we should either make plans to regroup with Yu or Zhong Hai (preferably the latter), or try and piece together our memories by heading to the main entrance, which would allow us to recall a good portion of the events between the time we entered this place and when we woke up here. The kitchen seems like a wild card, but I'm suspecting that it has to do with why this place is so haunted in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd probably have considered the main hall if the choice was phrased a bit better. 'Too bad about your companions - maybe you will come for them later" isn't something I'd like to pick.

Can't we use one of the lanterns on the walls?

^ Top  
  24. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Voting AB.

1A because a library is a rather obvious choice compared to kitchen or just running away. Maybe even a little too obvious. And 2B not because I think that the girl is a ghost (she knows enough about us) but because I just can't bring myself to completely trust her. She is one of the very, very few people that knows who Jing truly is and if we confirm her suspicion she will know that the Maniac's apprentice is a close friend and probably an agent of the Prince. Given that her primary allegiance is at this time to the fire cult (and whatever else they are also a problem not just for for the sects but probably also for the palace) I hesitate to reveal our name to one of them. Maybe she would not betray our trust to the fire cult, maybe she would - but I don't wish to put her to this test at this moment if we don't have to.

This whole thing could have been much easier if only Jing has chosen a different fucking name when leaving the palace. Ugh. What kind of a spy goes around giving his real name? Who does he think he is, James Bond?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Or the further investigation of any anti-Tang organizations reveals someone who has been betrayed and tortured and cast away by the palace he once loyally served and is a prime target for recruitment.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.