Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
    A.

^ Top  
  2. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I think the information is worth the risk. We wanted to infiltrate the Black Dragon Society for info, right? Well, here is it falling into our laps. If we interrogate him here, we might not even need to follow up on the Xiangyang lead or go near the society at all, depending on what we manage to get out of him. Yunzi has incentive to help us against him too, since she thinks he attacked her. Worst comes to worst, we have the Five Poisons Special Powder which I think we can probably use to poison him if he becomes a threat.

Tentatively, B.

^ Top  
  3. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    I wonder if Lady Ji of Luoyang Manor has a similar arrangement... hence her seeming eternal youth and immortality.

^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I daresay when she took our memories/skills she fed on a part of our spirit. I think the scholars around her keep her sustained.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    The Black Dragon Society are an organization of mercenaries and assassins that Liu Chanfeng has connections to:

Okay, so it's implied that the Court was responsible for the attack on the cult at Wufushan (to what end, we still don't know) but that doesn't justify allowing a man this dangerous to live given that he serves interests that go against our character. It seems like we're taking an incredible amount of risk for what's overall very little gain: we get information on the attack at Wufushan, Grand Eunuch Li's intentions with regards to the Black Dragon Society and potentially information on interactions that this person has had with Chanfeng. The last one is the most useful, but this person serves someone who we are opposed to and he knows everything about us - we will never get another chance like this again. Also, it isn't like we can't seek this information out ourselves with the BDS given our own fearsome rep.

As for a fight, I would suspect that the Emperor's very own secret police would be a whole lot tougher than you describe. Jing and Yunzi may be among the best fighters of their age group, but I'm sure that at this point the Emperor's elite secret police would be able to stomp both Yunzi and Jing in his current condition pretty easily. Anabanana made a good point about the poison we possess, but there remains the matter of how we're going to poison him to begin with. If we want to take him out (and I think we should) there will never be a better time than now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well, I'm kind of torn. I certainly see why killing him right here could be a good idea because I advocated that we should be putting as much distance between us and our past as possible. I wonder if the man would have recognized us if Yunzi didn't use our name. We barely recognized him at all. On the other hand, he is a posible lead to somebody in the palace connected to the conspiracy. Is he still working for Li? What is he doing in the Black Dragon Society and what is their role in this whole thing? Just who is the Emperor's secret police working for? If even a part of them has gone rogue / started working for someone else, that could present a most direct threat to the Emperor and to the Prince. These are all very interesting questions.

^ Top  
  7. Jester Arbiter

Jester
  8. Ganymede Learned

Ganymede
    So after seeing how ridiculous these discussions can get, Treave decides to send his loyal readers into an apoplexy of speculation.

B
    There's not enough information to do anything drastic, and we might need all the help we can get escaping the ghost succubi.

^ Top  
  9. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    B. We should not start a habbit of killing to protect our identity. Yunzi already knows our true identity anyway (even if she doesnt remember at the momment). On the other hand, if he escapes then his superiors will know of our involvement and whereabouts and that might be a problem. But still, i wouldn't kill over that.

Also, treave i would expect Zing to be a bit more protective and helpful towards Yunzi. Although she was acting like a bitch when we first met her, she clearly has some kind of memory problem and who knows what had happened to her. Why didnt we ask what happened to her and her tribe since we left them?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Succubi eh? Moer like, "Suck-you-dry", ehehe....

:dance:

Blame me!

^ Top  
  11. XenomorphII Prophet

XenomorphII
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    B

Time for some collar grabbing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The only girl he's been somewhat protective about is Cao'er, thus far, and that was because she needed his protection pre-timeskip. He really isn't the sort who overtly bends over backwards for girls at every possible opportunity. Also, what memory problem? Recognizing a guy that looks somewhat similar to a boy you met three years ago for a few days doesn't mean you can be absolutely certain it is the same person, and she would expect to see him with the prince, not wandering like a hobo. On his part, it's not like he is a hundred percent certain of her identity either, not even now.

Her "doesn't matter" comment seemed to indicate to him that she didn't want to dig up the past at that exact moment, and he only responded in kind, as far as he is concerned. These two aren't exactly known for being able to communicate perfectly and cordially with each other, if indeed she wanted to start having a heart-to-heart. Besides, there's probably a better time and place to talk about these sort of things than inside a haunted mansion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Ok, let there be collar grabbing. B.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get something from this guy (we can threaten to leave him alone to be picked off again), though I would prefer we did that when Yunzi isn't right next to us. The same about taking him out if we need to - we're not in the best of shape, but neither is he and we could just dump him in this place and let ghosts do the work for us. If it becomes necessary - we could use some info before that. We should determine that before running into two of his colleagues that are probably also lost somewhere in the mansion though.

^ Top  
  15. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    A.
    Lets look at our situation.
    Facts:

- There are three highly trained imperial police guys, one is currently in our grasps.
    - Our group fighting power is much less than these guys and I am including Yunzi for now in our group since we have mutual interest at surviving from these guys. Jing is greatly weakened, we have no idea about scholarbro combat prowess, we have no idea where the priests stands, Yunzi is great young fighter but I doubt she can take two or three of them.
    - We are in haunted mansion, which might provide great escape opportunity for our imperial police guy.
    - If we are leaving him alive, there is chance that eunoch guy learns about us and we don't have greatest relationship with the guy. At our current state all we can do is hide or run from the eunoch forces, he is too powerful for us to start fighting him. We also lose our surprise element, since they don't have any idea what we are now or where we are.
    - We might learn some great information at great risk.
    - Might risk our chances to inflirate black dragon society.

I would love capture the guy, but there is too much of risk him escaping since there are two other guys. There is also unpredictable nature of the mansion, but I am not willing to risk that those twists or turns are benetifically for us. We already got some leads from the guy, I say lets us take the winnings and leave nothing for eunoch.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
  17. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Of course, our whole reasoning that he is too dangerous to let him live pretty much depends on him really being on the opposite side from us and not a loyal servant of the Emperor and that he really did recognize us. And the evidence we have for that is a light of recognition in the eyes of a man in a dark room and the words "you.. are you...". For all we know after what he has just been through his next words could be "...my mother?". We probably should at least let him finish his sentence before killing him.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    In our injured state, once he recovers, it's our collar that will be grabbed for sure. :lol:

Esquilax put it best and I'm going with A, the Grand Eunich is a right bastard and since this dude reports to him, and since we pissed off the court with our Minamoto exploits, I don't think letting the old castrate know where we are and what we're doing is a good idea. I also don't want him anywhere near Yu.

FFS, out of everyone else, a court assassin is not our friend, I'd feel more comfortable insulting Zhang's mother in his presence than traveling with this guy. Our rep is good enough to get into the BDS with, and he might well sabotage it by letting them know of how ill-suited we are. His word against ours. And what little information he may divulge (pretty sure he knows of our exile, why would he?) isn't worth the risk.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    ^ Top  
  19. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Tentatively B.

How about we maim him first just to be sure. You know, pull out his eyes, cut his tendons, stuff like that that will make him less dangerous. It's not like he'll be any help to us getting out of here. And if he becomes a burden we could always leave him behind to die.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Torture a prisoner before leaving him to slowly die while cursing your name and existence in a place known to harbour ghosts? :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  21. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Why you guys even consider cold-blood murder is beyond me. Fuck the concequences, we are not rp-ing an evil character.

^ Top  
  22. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Well I planned to get him out so that we could torture him a bit more for information. Then we kill him in a place that doesn't harbour ghosts.

In the remote eventuality we can't get him out alive, we kill him on the spot, so I doubt he'll have time to curse our name or die slowly.

Sounds stupid ? How about we fake friendliness and, when we get out, then we torture and kill him ? Though I wouldn't expect a Court Assassin to be trusting or naive...

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No, we're not and Khorne's Prophet Master Zhang won't approve of the sacrifice, but letting him live and accompany us alongvwith Yu and Yunzi is just dumb, both of them are targets of Imperial plots and we made it on the (s)hit list too. Going "But we're no villain!" is just dumb, won't matter to this guy. He's a danger to us and our friends and we don't need him.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Apparently, you've missed the whole Qingcheng debate, where we almost had written our name in blood of an innocent victim.

Right before going to the tournament where people had a goal of setting Zhang Jue's disciple up. I wonder how that would've turned out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    ^ Top  
  25. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Interesting tidbit about the guy Liu Chanfeng has a grudge against:

-We know that Chanfeng was part of the prince's assassination a few years ago.
    -She's been recently spotted hanging out with the Black Dragon Society mercs and assassins. It's a possibility that they were the ones hired to kill the prince. Note that this man is also clothed entirely in black - it's possible that this is their society's dress code. Then again, being clothed all in black is kind of common amongst people doing sneaky work.
    -Jing believes that this man is a lackey of Grand Eunuch Li, and that he's also part of the Black Dragon Society.
    -Zhang Manlou's godfather is Grand Eunuch Wang.
    -The Black Dragon Society may or may not have been involved in the attack on the Fire Cult.

Is it merely coincidence that we can trace a connection between two grand eunuchs of the court via the WiB and the lover who betrayed her? What's the relationship between Li and Wang? Is Li behind the Black Dragon Society's movements, or is he planting this guy there to investigate them? Could it be possible that Li recruited Chanfeng as a Black Dragon Society spy based on a potential grudge against Wang, who no doubt enabled Manlou? And then there's the issue of the Fire Cult (with connections to the Tujue?) who showed up to challenge the Eight Sects of the central plains, which is, again, tied to the power of the court...

Assuming that Yunzi's not lying, why would the Black Dragon Society help the orthodox sects attack the Fire Cult? Alternatively, could it be that the Black Dragon Society was masquerading as the orthodox sects to attack the Fire Cult? It seems that stirring up trouble between them would be unnecessary though, since the Fire Cult already issued a pretty blatant challenge to them. Perhaps if both the Eight Sects and Fire Cult(Tujue?) are weakened as a result of outright warfare, as opposed to a more restrained tournament, this would solidify the court's power.

This is all, of course, speculation, and that's why I think we really should consider interrogating the man first. There are just too many questions. We might be in even greater danger if we don't get more information NOW. The situation seems way more complex than we originally thought it was, involving factions that we didn't think were involved, and if we're going to be investigating, taking this one big risk now seems worth it to avoid getting into worse situations because of our ignorance later. One of the arguments for A is that we can just learn this information anyway via infiltrating the Black Dragon Society and killing him will facillitate that - but what else would we learn from them that we can't from interrogating this man? This man will hopefully squeal, not just on the Black Dragon Society's movements, but also on his mission from the Grand Eunuch, Chanfeng, the court's and the society's goals regarding the Fire Cult, and most importantly, what the fuck is going on with the factions within the Court... I honestly don't know that infiltrating the Black Dragon Society will even be necessary after this. Of course, this will be entirely dependent on how the interrogation goes, but again, I'm willing to take that risk. I don't know if we'll ever get a better source of information than this; he's part of the secret police FFS.

Though I strongly suggest that we cook up a batch of Three Poisons Powder and Antidote (in the kitchen!) so we can poison him while he's weak and be like "nyahaha! wanna live? then I suggest you talk right now, mister~" while dangling the antidote in front of his face. Uh, not in front of his face because he might snatch it. But something along those lines, yes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.