Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

We saved his life once and paid his way out of debt bondage the second time. There's a pretty serious debt of honor involved there, but only as long as our intentions appear honorable.
We saved his life from other government agents. And the only reason we bought his debt is so that he could lead us to our target. Again, the choice is between an (admittedly) honest government agent that you have known for a couple of weeks and the said government is responsible for:

1. killing your entire family
2. driving you from your estate
3. trying to kill you personally

and that agent is now saying that he is also hunting your love (that has also saved your life) and the only remaining thing you care about in your life. Really, who in this position would choose the government agent?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Aww, poor Jing. He needs a woman of the spirit to make it all better and fix his broken psyche.
If you know who I mean.
Oh, I know what you mean. A dominatrix that loves to place her heels on his neck and never lays down her whip would be a wonderful fit for our masochistic character.

Baltika9 said:
Yunzi, of course.
Way to spoil it! :decline:

Baltika9

Arcane
The issue is more complicated than you make it out to be, Zero Credibility, see my earlier post as to why I'm confident Yu will gibe us the benefit of the doubt.

Well, Going with C3 for now, time to get our team together. Jing isn't a brilliant schemer and liar so the truth will come out when we meet Changfeng later. That will be a much bigger betrayal of both their trusts and will definitely be the final nail in the coffin against Yu and probably Yunzi.

Anabanana

Augur
Kissing the toad leads to the same conclusion. You can probably make a good guess where 15 places you.

We now have the capacity to be immortal! I KNEW IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO GO GHOSTHUNTING! /says the person who flopped to B for that choice

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
We saved his life from other government agents.
Yes, which means 'we' =/= 'them'.

Zero Credibility said:
And the only reason we bought his debt is so that he could lead us to our target
No. Just no. This was the only unanimous vote in the whole LP. The only one. Just think about it.
People like Yu as a character, and Jing likes him, too.

Zero Credibility said:
that agent is now saying that he is also hunting your love (that has also saved your life) and the only remaining thing you care about in your life. Really, who in this position would choose the government agent?
That's why I asked treave what is it that we are going to do about it. We aren't going to hunt Changfeng down, we want her to talk. Everyone would be better off if she talks, and Yu should know there is another way to go about this, the way that can put his love out of harm's way.

Just tell me, are you voting for betraying him later? Because if you don't want to betray him, it's best to clear up everything with him now.

The issue is more complicated than you make it out to be, Zero Credibility, see my earlier post as to why I'm confident Yu will gibe us the benefit of the doubt.

Well, Going with C3 for now, time to get our team together. Jing isn't a brilliant schemer and liar so the truth will come out when we meet Changfeng later. That will be a much bigger betrayal of both their trusts and will definitely be the final nail in the coffin against Yu and probably Yunzi.
You don't need to be a brilliant schemer to not advertise the fact that your are a secret government killer to every person you know for less then a week or that gives you funny feelings when she beats you up, especially when said persons have openly declared other loyalties that conflict with your own. As long as Jing is not a complete idiot he'll do just fine. Well, certainly much better that he would do otherwise. Seriously, we have known the scolar for a couple of weeks and the girl probably for less in total and we are ready to share with them our greatest secret, that we didn't share with Coa'er or Yao, both of who were much more closer to us than these two. And unlike Cao'er and Yao we know these two have conflicting agendas. There's trust between comrades, and then there’s this.

Anabanana

Augur
Bear in mind our hero here is technically a victim of sexual abuse as a child. He's not going to be all that right in the head when it comes to matters of the heart. :lol:

Uh, you mean the orgies with the palace maidservants?

Baltika9

Arcane

You don't need to be a brilliant schemer to not advertise the fact that your are a secret government killer to every person you know for less then a week or that gives you funny feelings when she beats you up, especially when said persons have openly declared other loyalties that conflict with your own. As long as Jing is not a complete idiot he'll do just fine. Well, certainly much better that he would do otherwise. Seriously, we have known the scolar for a couple of weeks and the girl probably for less in total and we are ready to share with them our greatest secret, that we didn't share with Coa'er or Yao, both of who were much more closer to us than these two. And unlike Cao'er and Yao we know these two have conflicting agendas. There's trust between comrades, and then there’s this.
Can't have any comrades without any trust though. The truth will come spilling out at the BDS, in fact we'll probably be placed in a nasty situation where we either keep our secret or someone gets hurt/forever hates us. An assassin society thrives on shit like this.
If they abandon us now, they were never our friends to begin with. Truth is the better way here.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
Seriously, we have known the scolar for a couple of weeks and the girl probably for less in total and we are ready to share with them our greatest secret, that we didn't share with Coa'er or Yao, both of who were much more closer to us than these two.
Yao and Cao'er didn't have anything to do with the conspirators. Yu does. It is his business, and that is why we need to discuss it with him.

And Yunzi is... well, Yunzi. You are a bit late if you wanted to keep secrets from her.

Zero Credibility said:
We saved his life from other government agents.
Yes, which means 'we' =/= 'them'.
And yet "we" are looking for his girl, just like "they". And we are looking her for treason - what should he expect from us when we find her?

Zero Credibility said:
And the only reason we bought his debt is so that he could lead us to our target
No. Just no. This was the only unanimous vote in the whole LP. The only one. Just think about it.
People like Yu as a character, and Jing likes him, too.
I'm pretty sure that the info he had also more than played into that decision. After all, why else would we be tracking the woman in black right now, if not for that reason?

Zero Credibility said:
that agent is now saying that he is also hunting your love (that has also saved your life) and the only remaining thing you care about in your life. Really, who in this position would choose the government agent?
That's why I asked treave what is it that we are going to do about it. We aren't going to hunt Changfeng down, we want her to talk. Everyone would be better off if she talks, and Yu should know there is another way to go about this, the way that can put his love out of harm's way.

Just tell me, are you voting for betraying him later? Because if you don't want to betray him, it's best to clear up everything with him now.
That depends. If his lover has stopped or is willing to stop working for the group causing the problems (certainly possible form what we have heard so far), then get what she knows and let her leave with the scholar. If his lover is still a part of the problem, then we would quite probably need to fix that, but in that case no amount of honesty now is going to help is securing scholar's loyalty. The only thing telling him all about us does is add the potential problem of him leaving to warn her about us.

Anabanana

Augur
The problem is, if we reveal our motives here, they might try and hinder our investigation. Xiahou Yu, especially. This is the woman who saved his life, after all. He's not going to stand by and watch us kill her, as Zero Cred said, no matter how upfront we are with him.

B > C1

Zero Credibility said:
Seriously, we have known the scolar for a couple of weeks and the girl probably for less in total and we are ready to share with them our greatest secret, that we didn't share with Coa'er or Yao, both of who were much more closer to us than these two.
Yao and Cao'er didn't have anything to do with the conspirators. Yu does. It is his business, and that is why we need to discuss it with him.

And Yunzi is... well, Yunzi. You are a bit late if you wanted to keep secrets from her.
Exactly, They were not connected to the conspiracy, yet we didn't share anything with them. They were safe, they had nothing to gain by betraying us. These people are connected - and when I say connected I mean they are connected to the other side, not ours - and we share our deepest secrets with them?!

Anabanana

Augur
Still doesn't change the fact that she saved him. If the situation was reversed, and she was trying to hunt us down and possibly kill us, you think scholarbro wouldn't come and warn us? I trust that he would, and that's why I pretty much think he'll try and warn her or get in the way of us killing her if it becomes necessary.

Absinthe

Arcane
We saved his life from other government agents. And the only reason we bought his debt is so that he could lead us to our target. Again, the choice is between an (admittedly) honest government agent that you have known for a couple of weeks and the said government is responsible for:

1. killing your entire family
2. driving you from your estate
3. trying to kill you personally

and that agent is now saying that he is also hunting your love (that has also saved your life) and the only remaining thing you care about in your life. Really, who in this position would choose the government agent?
We never did any of these things you listed. Yu is smart enough not to hold him responsible for the crimes of others. As for our own deeds, they've been mostly noble. Besides, we're not out to kill Chanfeng right now. We just want answers for the most part. Certainly, killing can be an option, but if we handle diplomacy right, it won't need to be, and if we handle it wrong, we are in no condition to fight anyway. Failing diplomacy is a terrible idea.

Still doesn't change the fact that she saved him. If the situation was reversed, and she was trying to hunt us down and possibly kill us, you think scholarbro wouldn't come and warn us? I trust that he would, and that's why I pretty much think he'll try and warn her or get in the way of us killing her if it becomes necessary.
Not if he thinks it's possible to foster a diplomatic solution, which is what we're going for. We're in no condition to fight and we want answers.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Anabanana said:
He's not going to stand by and watch us kill her, as Zero Cred said, no matter how upfront we are with him.
And where did you get an idea that we are going there to kill her? Did you just purpusefully ignore everything that treave said?

Everyone who votes to hide it from him now is voting for betraying him later. Things can still be salvaged now, if you can convince him that you do not mean harm to Changfeng unless she means harm to the prince - which would give him incentive to dissuade her from her alliance with WiB. Later you would not have such luxury - you'll straight up make an enemy out of him.

Baltika9

Arcane
To be fair, he considers both as extremely close relationships. If anything, he will probably try to reconcile us. In the end, I trust Yu.

We never did any of these things you listed. Yu is smart enough not to hold him responsible for the crimes of others. As for our own deeds, they've been mostly noble. Besides, we're not out to kill Chanfeng right now. Certainly, it can be an option, but if we handle diplomacy right, it won't need to be, and if we handle it wrong, we are in no condition to fight anyway. Failing diplomacy is a terrible idea.
Well it's then good I didn't say we did it. But the fact is we are going to identify ourself as an agent of the same government that did do that. My question is - would you trust such a person? That you have known for two weeks and he now he says he's hunting the only surviving person in your life for treason?

Baltika9

Arcane
There' s crucial detail we're all forgetting: Jing was officially exiled from the government (I believe the penalty for being in their sight is death), we are only loyal directly to the Crown Prince. Being from a family affiliated with the court, I'm sure Yu knows how Byzantine their politics and factions can be.

Absinthe

Arcane
If he saved my life once, rescued me from debt bondage a second time, has risked his life saving criminals from enforcers of the law just because they are still decent people, and is willing to talk with me about his objectives so that we can resolve our issues and come up with a better solution, yes, I would be inclined to trust him.

And yet he is now openly declaring that to be a lie, a cover story - that he is in fact an agent.

Well, I can't convince you people that spies should keep what they do a secret so I give up. I'm too outnumbered and too busy right now. Later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom