Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
P.S. treave, once invited, can the ghost enter the building unimpeded, even if the umbrella leaves the premises? Or does she need to be invited every single time?

What are the rules on ghosts? Does she need to be in close proximity to the object she inhabits? Does she have difficulties during daylight? What are her weaknesses? Does she need to drain energy from Yu to sustain herself? Will there be a catfight if we free Changfeng?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She can't stray too far from the umbrella, and there are other factors at play like how strong the protection is on the place. She won't be able to manifest in any temples, for instance, even if you brought her in.

What are the rules on ghosts? Does she need to be in close proximity to the object she inhabits? Does she have difficulties during daylight? What are her weaknesses? Does she need to drain energy from Yu to sustain herself? Will there be a catfight if we free Changfeng?

I'll let you know what they can or cannot do when applicable. Yes, with exceptions. Yes, she needs shade. Sunlight, blessed objects, exorcists, etc. Yes, but not too frequently. Who knows?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
As a rebuttal to "well, we can do D later," I see no reason why we can't go for A later if we need to, after we establish contact with Changfeng and let her know that, hey, people are here to help her (yes, for their own reasons, but anything is better than getting solved into slavery/getting turned over to the Gestapo/getting executed. Especially since we have Yu with us, who is fully cognizant of the situation). That will prevent her from making any rash decisions in the meanwhile and we can ask her about the more precise location of the Wunan Sect's ruins, so that we don't have to wander around the wilderness like idiots for half a week (but then again, spending half a week in the wilderness alone with Yunzi sounds prety promising too :lol: ). D just seems like the better option that's available to us because we came clean with Yu, and all we have to do is promise the BDS a favor which isn't really as horrible as some imagine.

Off-topic, treave, does Yunzi know of our physical limitations?

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
A: I would vote this but the 3 day search might cause us to miss critical events.
B: It might work. I would vote this if we have selected the Kuanglang boost.
C: There might be some kind of initiation test that requires us to fight. It would be bad in our current condition. C1 will probably bypass this due to our reputation, initially, but will give BDC the weapon called Man Tiger Pig to use as they like. C2 is out of the question for me.
D: It boils down to what favor we could actually do for them. We would also have to hide our motives and identity.

B for now. Might flop.
Flopped to D.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
So we waited three years before we sought out the WiB and now we can't wait for three more days? This is rift jumping right here, boldly into the unknown. We are wounded and you guys want to go straight into (possible) enemy fortress?

Nevill

Arcane
Now that we know that our link to the conspiracy may be severed at any minute, no, we can't.

We went here to infiltrate the BDS and get close to Changfeng, and now we are suddenly afraid of setting foot inside? (Possibly) enemy fortress is a nice way to put it. Every little thing can be a threat, possibly.

Why is this the enemy fortress? What beef does the BDS have with us?

All we need is to get Yu inside the building. We would then gain much more information via Xiaoqing than we ever could by turning the forest upside down, and not a soul would suspect anything. How much of a favor it would cost us just for our friend to say goodbye?

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Seeking Recruitment Anonymously

This makes us no different than any other dickhead who walks in asking to join up. With our injured condition, standing out compared to the other candidates will be extremely difficult. The upside here is that draws less attention on us; keeping a low-profile is crucial since Yunzi is with us.

I'm not sure what to vote for yet, but I'll go wit C1 for now.
Standing out is precisely what we don't want o do here though. Not that much. Firstly, as you said, Yunzi is on their hit list. Secondly, we don't want them pushing us to our limits (or what they think are our limits as no one knows of our injury) just to see if our rep holds true - and you can bet everyone from the masters to the rank and file will be trying to test us to some degree because of who we are. As far as passing their exams though, I'm certain the level of raw skill we possess will dwarf most of our competition - injury or no.

Also, keep in mind that if we decide to break her out, our rep with them will be seriously impacted. If we are anonymous, they are less likely to send 50 guys after us to take us down - which probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if not for our injury, but it is how it is...

Esquilax

Arcane
So we waited three years before we sought out the WiB and now we can't wait for three more days? This is rift jumping right here, boldly into the unknown. We are wounded and you guys want to go straight into (possible) enemy fortress?

That analogy makes no sense at all here. In this particular case, we have fairly good reason to believe that if we choose to wait for a few days, our only lead in this case will disappear. She's been captured by a group that's already wiped her faction out, and we have no idea where she will be if we decide to look for clues in the forest rather than actually put ourselves out there and try and contact Chanfeng directly.

No, this can't wait three more days, not with the circumstances as they are now:

Upon reaching Xiangyang, you had soon discovered that the situation had changed rather drastically from what you had expected to find.

Yes, initially things weren't urgent, but now that we've gone on a few sidequests involving pirates and ghosts, things are much different. You can't just bury your head in the sand and say "well fuck it, we've already waited, what's three more days, right?" when we have good reason to believe that our best and only lead in this whole case is going to either disappear off into parts unknown or even die if we try to pussy our way out of actually involving ourselves here. I'm just trying to say here that trying to have your cake and eat it too (i.e. go for a safe option and expect the situation with Chanfeng to be identical a few days from now) might lead to some serious consequences here.

And even if we do find clues with A, that still is nowhere near as good as talking to Chanfeng directly.

I've flopped my conditional vote to C2>D I agree with Esquilax that the risk of losing our best lead is too great.

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting A guarantees us more leads. Esquilax is just gunning for "anything but A" because he's gotten too annoyed after the sidequests to take more time before dealing with Chanfeng, so I would recommend A just to troll teach him the virtues of patience. Anyway, as ScubaV says, even if Chanfeng were to be moved, it would still be in our favor since she would no longer be in a fortress. Also, an A vote might solve our objectives on its own. Strictly speaking, we don't need Chanfeng if we can get our info by investigating the remnants of the Wunan Sect.

And you're overlooking all the ways that a D vote can put us in a very bad position. You're basically hoping they'll say "sure you can talk to her" and with no conditions other than whatever favor we might promise.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Funny thing is, D is the safe option in regards to our lead on Changfeng (not to mention Changfeng herself) while A is way more risky. FFS, the woman was captured by a group of ruthless mercs that work for (even if unknowingly) the Gestapo. Her options are either slavery or the dungeons of Beijing. It will take at least three days to find her old monastery and there is zero guarantee that what we find there will give us any insight into her attack on the camp and by that time she may very well be gone, lost in the sea of people that is China. Coming clear with Yu gave us this option to establish contact with her without wasting time/playing superspy while crippled/pissing off any wrong people. Why are we not sing it?
And you're overlooking all the ways that a D vote can put us in a very bad position. You're basically hoping they'll say "sure you can talk to her" and with no conditions other than whatever favor we might promise.
With our insane reputation, that's probably what will happen. Having a balls-out insane fighter like Jing owing you a favor isn't something a group like this will pass up on, and pissing us off isn't too bright an idea either because of our crazy rep. Street cred opens a lot of doors in the unorthodox world, and this is one such door.

asxetos

Augur
I desided to man up and flip to D. I seriously hope they dont ask anything crazy in exchange though.

Esquilax

Arcane
Voting A guarantees us more leads. Esquilax is just gunning for "anything but A" because he's gotten too annoyed after the sidequests to take more time before dealing with Chanfeng, so I would recommend A just to troll teach him the virtues of patience. Anyway, as ScubaV says, even if Chanfeng were to be moved, it would still be in our favor since she would no longer be in a fortress. Also, an A vote might solve our objectives on its own. Strictly speaking, we don't need Chanfeng if we can get our info by investigating the remnants of the Wunan Sect.

And you're overlooking all the ways that a D vote can put us in a very bad position. You're basically hoping they'll say "sure you can talk to her" and with no additional conditions other than whatever favor we might promise.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that going on these sidequests pissed me off a good deal. However, there is nothing that ensures that A guarantees us more leads:

Investigate Shennong Forest and the Wunan Sect – if truly an attack occurred, you might still be able to find clues in the aftermath, and perhaps survivors, to give you a clearer picture of what has happened.

A lot of mights and perhapses here. I'm not saying that going to Shennong Forest will be useless, but the best lead that we have is Chanfeng, no question about it.

As for D putting us into a bad position, what exactly did you have in mind? Certainly it's risky, but this is where our reputation will let us shine: our actions with the pirates have established Jing to the outside world as a guy who is crazy, unpredictable and definitely not to be fucked with. It's not easy to say "no" to such a man. This might be an organization of killers, but it's safe to say that Zhang Jue has forgotten more than these amateurs will ever know about killing. If they've heard anything about us, they'd know that we fought off a hundred pugilists on our own - they're going to agree to a meeting, at the very least.

I understand that the bad part here is that they will seek a favour from us (and we can expect some violent reprisal if we don't make good on the deal), but we can't just risk having our best and only lead disappear like that. You seem to assume that if she's sent somewhere else, it will be less guarded than this place, but you can't be sure of that. What if she's sent to serve as a palace slave? This isn't unlikely given the connections that the BDS has. What if she kills herself, preferring suicide to having her dignity taken away? We all know what happened the last time somebody humiliated Chanfeng. My point is that you are making a huge risk in having our goals slip from our grasp by going with A, and that your interpretation of the consequences here is too optimistic IMO.

Also, A seems like such a pussy option given how much we've covered our tracks so far: first off, we killed the agent who recognized us (meaning that it's far less likely that Yunzi will be recognized) and secondly, we were on the level about our involvement in Chanfeng's past, so our party is on the same page goal-wise. With that in mind, why are we hiding in the forest when time's a-wasting?

Anabanana

Augur
I would vote C2, but I don't know how we'd have Yu pass what will undoubtedly be a martial arts entrance test. After weighing all the options, I think that despite the risks, being Direct is the best option we currently have of getting what we need from Changfeng.

Worst case scenario with D is that they ask too much of us. Then we can go find the Wunan base instead. The base can wait. It's not like anyone is going to bulldoze it or anything. Plus I'm really not sure what they'd ask of us, though I doubt it'd be anything too disadvantageous. The only person who'd really have a reason to talk bad about us had his neck snapped earlier...

Absinthe

Arcane
Funny thing is, D is the safe option in regards to our lead on Changfeng (not to mention Changfeng herself) while A is way more risky. FFS, the woman was captured by a group of ruthless mercs that work for (even if unknowingly) the Gestapo. Her options are either slavery or the dungeons of Beijing.
And none of those will happen within 3 days. Certainly, new developments may arise, but "gone forever" seems quite unlikely.

It will take at least three days to find her old monastery and there is zero guarantee that what we find there will give us any insight into her attack on the camp and by that time she may very well be gone, lost in the sea of people that is China
Hey, I'll be the first to admit that going on these sidequests pissed me off a good deal. However, there is nothing that ensures that A guarantees us more leads. A lot of mights and perhapses here. I'm not saying that going to Shennong Forest will be useless, but the best lead that we have is Chanfeng, no question about it.
Bullshit. The Wunan Sect was only taken out literally yesterday. We're not a month late or a week late here. We're in the direct aftermath. If we're quick about it, we can find the remnants of the Wunan sect and other things. With our skills and stats, we are guaranteed to find something useful, since Jing has 8 perception he will find stuff, Yu has done his homework and crazy high int so he will be able to deduce details, and Yunzi is fast enough to chase down anyone from the Wunan Sect we find.

Coming clear with Yu gave us this option to establish contact with her without wasting time/playing superspy while crippled/pissing off any wrong people. Why are we not sing it?With our insane reputation, that's probably what will happen.
No, coming clean with Yu gave us the option to confront Chanfeng on peaceful terms and establish a diplomatic solution with her, not her captors.

Having a balls-out insane fighter like Jing owing you a favor isn't something a group like this will pass up on, and pissing us off isn't too bright an idea either because of our crazy rep. Street cred opens a lot of doors in the unorthodox world, and this is one such door.
As for D putting us into a bad position, what exactly did you have in mind? Certainly it's risky, but this is where our reputation will let us shine: our actions with the pirates have established Jing to the outside world as a guy who is crazy, unpredictable and definitely not to be fucked with. It's not easy to say "no" to such a man. This might be an organization of killers, but it's safe to say that Zhang Jue has forgotten more than these amateurs will ever know about killing. If they've heard anything about us, they'd know that we fought off a hundred pugilists on our own - they're going to agree to a meeting, at the very least.
For starters, there is the high likelihood of imperial agents in the Black Dragon Society? They might recognize Yu, and Jing is just going to announce himself? Yunzi can still get caught? And these guys are pros. Our reputation might be badass, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have badasses in their own crew. They might agree to a meeting, sure, but who's to say the meeting will be to our advantage?

Also, A seems like such a pussy option given how much we've covered our tracks so far: first off, we killed the agent who recognized us (meaning that it's far less likely that Yunzi will be recognized) and secondly, we were on the level about our involvement in Chanfeng's past, so our party is on the same page goal-wise. With that in mind, why are we hiding in the forest when time's a-wasting?
That's a hell of a strawman there. A is not for hiding and you know it.

Worst case scenario with D is that they ask too much of us. Then we can go find the Wunan base instead. The base can wait. It's not like anyone is going to bulldoze it or anything. Plus I'm really not sure what they'd ask of us, though I doubt it'd be anything too disadvantageous. The only person who'd really have a reason to talk bad about us had his neck snapped earlier...
No, worst case scenario is that we all get found out and die. After that, there's the risk of getting caught with other consequences. And after that, there's the possibility that they do one of those poison-enforced bargains where we have no choice but to do what they want.

Found out? We want to talk to her, not free her. Yet, anyway. And I doubt they would do weird poison crap. Again, they have no reason to suspect us since we killed that one guy.
Funny thing is, D is the safe option in regards to our lead on Changfeng (not to mention Changfeng herself) while A is way more risky. FFS, the woman was captured by a group of ruthless mercs that work for (even if unknowingly) the Gestapo. Her options are either slavery or the dungeons of Beijing.
And none of those will happen within 3 days. Certainly, new developments may arise, but "gone forever" seems quite unlikely.
A lot of bad things can happen to a prisoner in three days: they can be shipped to another location for trial or punishment (most likely), they can commit suicide in their cell, they can be assassinated in their cell, they can be tortured to the point of death or near-death.

Please don't act like she can just be left there indefinitely with no consequences. If time didn't affect anything, I doubt it would have been mentioned in the choice.

Nevill

Arcane
D is clearly Shulgi. Yunzi will get caught even if no one can connect her to the Fire Cult (not a Persian, always wore a mask in public), Jing announcing himself as a ZJ's disciple will be immediately linked to the prince, and Yu will get recognized and killed because he was hunted two years ago by someone with a badge, even if the said someone couldn't hold against a 14 yeal old boy and thus might not even be an agent of the imperial police.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Also, our luck will make us slip on the steps and break our neck.

Also, I think this needs to be re-emphasized:
Investigate Shennong Forest and the Wunan Sect – if truly an attack occurred, you might still be able to find clues in the aftermath, and perhaps survivors, to give you a clearer picture of what has happened. It will probably take you more than three days to find the place, however.
Could be 4 or 5 days. Then what about the time to search the place and travel back? You really think mercs will just sit there with a prisoner for a week?

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill, we were just discussing worst case scenarios. As for me, I reckon that D has a strong chance of failing and/or costing us a party member, and even if it doesn't, we'll get roped into some ugly shit.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'd like to participate in this CYOA, but I'll never have time to get caught up. Can a nigga get a synopsis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom