Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Also, I think this needs to be re-emphasized:
    Could be 4 or 5 days. Then what about the time to search the place and travel back? You really think mercs will just sit there with a prisoner for a week?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Nevill, we were just discussing worst case scenarios. As for me, I reckon that D has a strong chance of failing and/or costing us a party member, and even if it doesn't, we'll get roped into some ugly shit.

^ Top  
  3. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    D - sounds fun.

^ Top  
  4. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    I'd like to participate in this CYOA, but I'll never have time to get caught up. Can a nigga get a synopsis?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I think that you're trying to minimize the consequences of A while attempting to make C2/D a lot worse in comparison, and I feel it's baseless at times. The bottom line here is that Chanfeng has been captured by a group that wiped out her sect, she's already seen as a "frigid scarred nutso bitch" as is, and it feels like you're minimizing the situation when you say "oh, well, it's only three days. What's the worse that could happen, guys?!" A shitload, because that's asking for trouble - these guys clearly want an unstable and dangerous type like Chanfeng out of their hands as soon as fucking possible. And it's no guarantee that wherever she's going is going to be any better than it is here, either. This is just the situation as is, and we have to deal with it as is instead of hoping that it gets better somehow.

I'll grant you that Jing's nifty Reikan technique will help us observe a crime scene, no doubt about it, but it's not anywhere near as good as talking to the eyewitness that we've been looking out for this entire time. She might be privy to a lot of things that we won't get through going into the forest, and she is the most likely to be candid with us because we have Yu along with us.

As for your point about them recognizing Yu; really? I mean, in hindsight I agree that the guys who came after him might have been a few raw BDS recruits (their skills were rather shit), but I really think that you are blowing things out of proportion far beyond a reasonable point. I think that it's far more reasonable to believe that the situation with Chanfeng will change in the next three days than it is to believe that Yunzi, a non-Persian who always wears a mask in public, and Xiahou Yu, a wandering scholar who has been languishing in Yuhua Hall for the past few years, will suddenly be recognized right off the bat and we'll all be in deep shit.

As for my point regarding "hiding", I meant "hiding" in the sense of fucking off and trying to play it safe when the situation calls for some decisive action. I don't always go for the balls-to-wall choice, but here I think it's the right play. Our party is all on the same page, we have a fearsome reputation - what's stopping us? Why are we getting hesitant all of a sudden?

Night Goat: Just read the updates, ignore the pointless DISCUSS!!! that we all revel in. Most of the pages here are just the rest of us shit-talking back and forth, so just look at the actual updates linked in the first page.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So, uh... how much for a young nubile slave nowadays? Is there going to be a sale? Will there be volume discounts? If we pawned off our wodao, could we buy one? How much money did we win at the tournament, how many we could have bought? It would be nice to know how much does a human life cost in this day and age.

Is this sort of thing legal? What is different about the western regions that the slaves are shipped there?

How does a slave status work in the universe of the LP? Are slaves branded? Is such a status permanent, or can a slave be legally freed?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    ^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Eh, you should read the updates. At least you need to read the prologue. Here's the situation right now:

Xu Jing (currently a wandering unorthodox martial artist trying to figure out wtf was behind the events of the prologue), Yunzi (the princess from the prologue, currently also the Holy Maiden of a Fire Cult that's sent a challenge against Eight Sects to see who is more capable of protecting the people of China, and is also trying to figure out wtf was behind the events of the prologue - Wunan sect? - and these dudes trying to get her just now - Black Dragon Society), and Xiahou Yu (wandering scholar, we saved his life once and paid his way out of debt bondage a second time. He's searching for his long lost love Liu Chanfeng who happens to be the assassin from the prologue. He saved her life and sheltered her when she was on the verge of death. Then assassins killed his family, she rescued him and ran off. Assassins also tried to kill him when we rescued him in Luoying Manor.) have just discovered that the Black Dragon Society has destroyed the Wunan Sect and captured their head (who we are assuming is Liu Chanfeng, based on the description) and we are trying to figure out wtf we are going to do.

As for all the discuss going on now, these three posts sum it up:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing the DISCUSS now.

Funny, I think you're trying to minimize the negative consequences of C2/D and maximize negative consequences of A, and I feel that's baseless at times. A is pretty much guaranteed to succeed between our lineup's skills but you throw in phrases like "that's a lot of maybes."

They only JUST attacked the Wunan Sect yesterday. That means they're still recovering and getting their shit in order. By all accounts they're either going to sell them as slaves or hand over to the palace. Either way, they'll be sitting on her for a bit before things get final and either way they're going to profit from giving her away, so they won't be killing her.

Except she's in a fortress right now which is also the headquarters of the Black Dragon Society. This is the place you want to walk in with 2 people who are wanted and 1 person who will still quite possibly get recognized on sight and ask them to be pals and let Yu speak to his beloved Chanfeng. If she leaves the fortress, it's easier to approach her and get shit done.

I don't think they wiped out the whole Wunan Sect. As a group they may be done for, but we can probably find witnesses or survivors when we check it out. Yunzi has the agility to chase anyone who tries to flee the scene anyway. And just investigating the crime scene alone can tell us a lot between our high perception and Yu's int.

Besides, if we succeed at getting a conversation with her it's going to be under strict guard AND we will owe the BDS shit. Maybe if the ghost will spy for us we can get some details out of her, but even then we're putting ourselves in a risky situation.

We're walking into their headquarters after a big operation. Pretty much EVERYONE in the BDS will be there. If even ONE of the BDS people recognizes one of us, we're fucked. Chanfeng also rescued Liu when his family was being assassinated. And there's the possibility that Yu's family was ambushed because Yu was sheltering Chanfeng. Either way, there's a decent chance recent events have brought back memories of Yu's family (and Yu himself) to the fore.

Neither do I, but I did vote for the hundred man battle. But in this case, it seems like all our other options are bad and if we investigate we will get better options and know more about what's going on. Our fearsome reputation isn't as awesome when we walk into this fortress that is the headquarters of the Black Dragon Society where all their top brass are. I'm sure they have some badasses too so while our rep can get them to consider us seriously, it really doesn't give us any clout especially while Jing is injured and Yunzi once again is trying to elude notice. But it does tell any palace agents that Jing is getting involved in their shit which means trouble.

And that's the problem. You want to go in and be a man of action, but we are coming in from an extremely weak position, risking a lot, and promising a bunch just so that we might get a nice conversation with Chanfeng which will probably be under guard to boot. I don't know how fruitful you're expecting this to be, but I doubt we're going to get much out of this other than hardship. And we're ruining chances of getting to her without any guards in the future.

^ Top  
  8. Show Spoiler
    The setting is ancient China.

Our hero, Jing, is a "Soul Reaper" and an amoral transsexual who is hunting the legendary 5 balls of power. He/she is an expert horse rider and is generally known as the luckiest person on the planet. He/she was a Japanese high school boy/girl, but traveled back in time through an ancient power called "Geas". His/her goal is to marry prince Shun - a handsome wolf demon - but he/she has to find his/her magic balls before that can happen. On his/her journey (s)he's met many people including Yu - a perverted priest who's always asking women if they'll bear his children, but an otherwise sober man - and Yunzi - who is an honest cat-girl that is always open about her feelings toward Jing.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    "Legend, Bioware Edition."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Sounds about right. I think by the end of this LP that's how things would turn out under our careful guidance.

^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    You forgot to mention Zhang Jue, the handsome and compassionate master of martial arts and world-renowned healer with his "Harmonious Palms of the Heavenly Emperor", and his quest to bring world peace with as little collateral damage as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As for AD(D) debate, I'd like to reiterate that any information an eyewitness possesses dwarfs anything that can be surmised from vague clues that we aren't guaranteed to find. Not to mention that the most sensitive information, about the attack on the prince three years ago, can only be obtained from Changfeng herself.

I don't believe for a second anyone would recognize one of us. None of us have been doing anything that would attract the attention of the imperial police as of late. The only one who might interest them is Yunzi, and that end is pretty damn well covered.

Yu wasn't even sought out. He was the one that called the man out two years ago, not the other way around.

This is kind of true. That is why Japan needed to be taken out ASAP.
    And about this healer bit - none of his patients suffered from their ailments after he was done with them.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. He also wears a turtle shell on his back fsr...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh man, I can't wait for that special on him. I'm picturing "DOOM 1: The Zhang Jue Invasion, Or How The Minamoto Clan Became A Shogunate, by Yorikawa."
    :bounce:

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    ERYFKRAD - B
    Kipeci - D
    Baltika9 - D
    Nevill - D
    Absinthe - A
    Tigranes - A
    XenomorphII - A
    Kashmir Slippers - A
    Lambchop19 - C2 > D
    ScubaV - A
    TOME - A
    Esquilax - D
    Grimgravy - D
    asxetos - D
    Jester - A
    Azira - A
    Anabanana - D
    Rex Feral - D
    Ifeex - D
    Omicron - D
    a bear named spigot - A
    Smashing Axe - A
    obiter dictum - A
    Elfberserker - A
    Nim - D

Current tally:
    A - 12
    B - 1
    C2 - 1
    D - 11

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Oooo, tense!

^ Top  
  17. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
  18. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Well, not taking the blame for what I didn't vote for. But I am curious to see how well Jing's "balls to the wall" approach pans out. :avatard:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    We have a goal to strive for:

^ Top  
  21. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, when are the polls closing?

^ Top  
  24. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    ANOTHER TIE? FOR FUCK'S SAKE CAN WE NEVER MAKE UP OUR MINDS ON ANYTHING!?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Actually, with Lambchop's conditional flop, it's 10A-11D.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.