Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Yes, I can't in good conscience betray Master Zhang like that. The fact that he will rip our spine out of our asshole for failing his test (props to Esquilax for the analogy) has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Toad Demon Master Zhang Jue 4 Lyfe!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I'm still blaming Azira for the decision to waltz inside the fortress in the first place.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'd be more inclined to consider it even half-seriously if it wasn't phrased as a typical fear-mongering 'our luck is Shulgi' argument. This line of thinking needs to die in a fire.
Now I agree with you on that, but my argument is really based on the fact that
A) We have 5 agi so we can't evade or outrun him.
B) Our only chance of escaping (if he considers us his enemy) is with the smokebomb throwing him off and giving us an opportunity to escape.
C) We already know he can see us just fine through all the smoke.

So, considering we really don't have the stats, skills, or favorable circumstances to help us escape, the only thing that's left is dumb luck. And if all we've got is our luck, then in that case, I think it's fair to note that our luck stat will screw us too. I don't agree with the people who say "what you are doing is risky so OH NO LUCK STAT WILL OWN US." It's just that in this case I seriously see no chance of escape unless we get lucky (or poison, I guess).

There is nothing that suggest he will attack us straight up. He is intrigued by us. Even if we are considered an enemy, it still would be worth it to track down our master, because he is sure we aren't working on our own. We know too much sensitive stuff.
He could also just take us down right now and have us interrogated. I'm pretty sure the facilities here are good for that sort of thing, and he already tried diplomacy.

Ignoring that fact, we are one of the most badass characters of our age around, even if crippled. To suggest that we are going down to a single motion is lolworthy.
I didn't say we are going down to a single motion. Thank you for putting words in my mouth. What I said is this guy is too fucking good for us to escape.

From the narrative perspective it makes no sense for us to be offered a choice without a choice here.

However you look at it, this is nonsensical.
We do have choices. B can pay off since he has an incentive to let us go if we are on his side, and C is pretty much the safest option. A appears to be the "bad idea" choice here. Could be a dead end. Could be a "wake up in prison" continuation. It might even wind up being what you hope it to be (that he will let us leave anyway). But Treave does offer us choices to screw ourselves over, you know. That Epic CYOA started with a choice to be a full retard and try to kill the other immortals only for him to note that he originally planned to give the choice without informing us ahead of time about immortality.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
Toad Demon Master Zhang Jue 4 Lyfe!
The Toad demon and his Toad imp spawn. It's almost like a family.

The Brazilian Slaughter said:
The fact that the guy who did this seems to have good connections within the Orthodox world seems to be a good hint that this guy does not work for Prince Shun.
Indeed. And there are more indications that what this guy does does not reach the ears of the Imperial family.

He might figure it out later, but I am not going to go all "Don't hurt us, big guy, we'll tell you everything!"
Telling him outright will just spare him the time to do his own research and will make him act faster. And whatever he does, I have a feeling we won't like it.

Baltika9

Arcane
The Toad demon and his Toad imp spawn. It's almost like a family.
Almost? Master Zhang is the closest thing Jing had to a father/big brother through his life. Hell, I already consider him family, below only Shun in precedence.
:troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
Besides, we all know that Master Zhang, son of Yang Xue, is Jing's biological father through the Immortal Lady Ji.

Absinthe

Arcane
Remember: We're Shun's wildcard into the pugilistic world. Revealing ourselves will mean the Court will consider Jing a ally of Shun and deal accordingly.
We are already revealed. It is only a matter of time. He knows our true name and has reason to investigate any possible palace connections considering our involvement in palace affairs. At that point he can easily discover that there is one exiled Xu Jing who was the best friend of Li Shun, which will make it pretty obvious whose side we're on.

I really don't think this guy works for Shun, either. He is fishing Jing to see if he works for Shun. We reveal we work for Shun, and this guy will lead us into mistakes or kill us straight-out.
If we vote A, he considers us an enemy no matter what and will investigate us later and find out the details. If we vote B he will only consider us an enemy if he really isn't working for Shun.

By jumping out, we either make a enemy out of Shun's hitsquad (which will be a problem for a while until they realize what is really happening and Shun stops it) or we make a enemy out of Shun's enemies.
And that's one big reason I don't like A. We make an enemy out of him anyway. Voting B gives us a solid chance of not making an enemy out of him and the only thing we're protecting with A (our identity and loyalty) will be discovered regardless.

The other reason is that if we vote A and make an enemy out of him, he might not even let us leave, considering this smoke bomb does nothing to him.

The fact that the guy who did this seems to have good connections within the Orthodox world seems to be a good hint that this guy does not work for Prince Shun.
You realize Shun was recommending us to the Orthodox world for our mission and strongly reconsidering whether or not he should've let us go unorthodox? Also, we don't even know if that guy answers to Shun like this one says he does.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
To write a recomendational letter to the sect is one thing.

To have a network of agents that span multiple organisations and that may gather a small army across multiple factions (making orthodox pugilists work together with assassins is no small feat) - that is a whole another business.

Someone has this resourse at their disposal, and it isn't Shun.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The level of faggotry in assuming will be instakilled by this guy if we jump out of a window is astounding.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well... all of this could have been avoided in the first place if you hadn't gone on both sidequests and arrived in Xiangyang before the Wunan attack.

Jester

Arbiter
Well... all of this could have been avoided in the first place if you hadn't gone on both sidequests and arrived in Xiangyang before the Wunan attack.
You give us Adventures of Ninja the Sailor (action) and Chinatown Ghostbusters (comedy) and think that we will pass it? NAH.

Nevill

Arcane
Any choice that skips ninja-pirate and tsundere content is a false choice.

RealDDc

Learned
Why should one consider C over A or B.

I don't think either that A or B would result in an instant death - You attempt to jump out the window and catch a lame knife in the back... game over.

But I am pretty sure that A would have a similar result than C just with us maybe wounded but for sure in a much worse position. This ain't no side quest, and we will attempt it sooner with A and C, or later with B.

Currently we have the advantage that we are undercover, Gao would need to do some research first. It should be easy for him to find out everything he does need to know about us, but it would still require time. And this time is our time to gather very valuable information.

With B we probably make it out of the current situation unharmed, but throw away this very opportunity. That makes things much more troublesome and risky later.

And if I am entirely wrong, and Gao is in fact loyal to Shun, well then C would be the option anyways.

Nevill

Arcane
You omit one very important thing.

We have no business with the secret police, and we have nothing to report to Shun. Basically, if Gao Ying is loyal, we only lose time. If he is not... I don't even want to ponder this. We are masters of the fist (currently functioning at half capacity), masters of the intrigue we are not.

Either way, with C, we lose our freedom. Something I came to appreciate a lot after getting our first vacation from the Maniac Island.

I want to ruin the BDS and free the slaves, I want to meet Cao'er again (damn, I miss her crazy antics), I want to separate Yunzi from the Fire Cult and kick her groom's butt, I want Changfeng to stop with her feminazi agenda and go straight for her abuser's head, I want Cao'er to become friends with Xiaoqi (because she is awesome), I want a thousand little things, and I have no idea when or even if we would be able to do them, should we surrender to this guy.

With A and B, our life is in our own hands.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zhang Jue Gaiden

The old samurai shivered as a sudden gust of wind scattered the dry, brown leaves that had carpeted the trail. Winter was coming. The sun peeked dimly through the bare branches of the skeletal trees; it was a setting sun, and night would soon envelop the land. Still the man in front of him rode ahead, into the wilderness where there would be no shelter to be found.

“Zhang-dono,” began the samurai as he spurred his horse forward to catch up with the man. “This is not the way to the battleground.”

“Yes, I know.”

No matter how many times he heard that voice, the old samurai found it hard to reconcile that smooth, cultured tone with the powerful, wild appearance of Lord Zhang. He sighed. The madman from the continent had appeared one day at the halls of the Minamoto, accompanied by retainers of the disgraced and exiled Yorimitsu. He was not welcomed, especially not when the current leaders of the Minamoto had finally managed to worm their way back into the good graces of the ruling Fujiwara family. That did not seem to matter much to Zhang, and he seemed keen to move on to tour the country.

The old samurai wondered if it was fate – disastrous fate – that had the grandson of Fujiwara no Michinaga, the undisputed power behind the Chrysanthemum Throne, being a guest at the Minamoto household on that day, of all days. The young man fancied himself a warrior, though he was in fact more a vicious bully that no one dared strike thanks to the influence of his bloodline. He would challenge lowly samurai and commoners, and build a castle to his own ego from his one-sided victories.

And as was his habit, the young Fujiwara took an interest in this strange foreigner and challenged him to a duel, thinking him easy prey. After all, as an important heir to the Fujiwara clan, even a single bruise on his body would mean a death sentence to the offender.

His head was twisted clean off his body in the first few seconds of the match.

Thirty years the old samurai had been in service to the Minamoto, and thirty years he had fought their battles; but the violence he saw that day would be one that stayed with him till the moment of his death.

The young Fujiwara had charged forward, swinging his sword with grace. The wild foreigner stood his ground, his expression one of boredom. Then, he had leisurely reached out with one hand. His fingers closed around the top of Fujiwara’s skull and dug in. The young man’s eyes did not even have time to blink before Zhang twisted his grip. There was a sickening popping noise, and the very important head was freed from its noble body in a bloody parting.

The old samurai shuddered. He could still hear that pop in his dreams sometimes.

The current head of the Minamoto was politically savvy enough to realize that even if he could deliver Zhang’s head to Fujiwara no Michinaga, this would not assuage the old regent’s wrath. In fact, the ascendant Taira would probably make use of this calamitous incident to ensure that the Minamoto were destroyed once and for all.

He had only one choice.

He went to his knees before Zhang, begging his aid in the battles to come.

That was when the old samurai saw the madman smile for the first time.

He wondered if it was a mistake then. Even now, after witnessing the man's gift for bloody carnage up close more times than he would have liked, he was unsure. Lord Zhang was powerful; of that there was no doubt. On the battlefield he would tear a bloody swathe through the enemy lines, leading cavalry charges as fiercely as a god of war. In close combat, Zhang terrorized the enemy soldiers so much that they nicknamed him oni: ogre. Invincible. Strong. Terrifying. Mere whispers of his presence was enough to deflate morale on the opposing side. He was no slouch in tactics, either, on a few occasions outmanoeuvring and devastating the combined armies of the Fujiwara and Taira even when outnumbered ten to one.

Even so… the madman was just that: mad.

He was unreliable. He acted according to his own whim, marching to the beat of a drum that only he could hear.

The path the old samurai found himself taking right now was the perfect example. The Minamoto were about to engage some of the most powerful Taira generals in battle just a few hours away, but Lord Zhang had deemed it more important to wander off into the mountains instead of aiding the people he had doomed by his callous actions.

“Zhang-dono,” the samurai began again, hoping to convince the strange warrior to return to battle.

“There is no need for worry. We have arrived, and in good time too,” replied Zhang.

The puzzled old man looked around him – they were at a small forest shrine built outside a cave. “This is…” He peered closely at the talismans and offerings around the shrine – it was set up to some ancient forest deity, and had been cleaned up just recently.

“I have done my share of reading about the folklore of this particular region,” said the maniac lightly in his accented speech, “and found something interesting. You know that the enemy soldiers call me an oni, right?”

The old samurai nodded, gulping. “Yes, Zhang-dono.”

Interestingly, the villages in this region were known for worshipping ogres. Of course, the religion seems to have lost traction since about a hundred years back, but…” His eyes glinted with amusement as he scratched his beard. The samurai found his eyes being drawn to the dark cave with trepidation, its foreboding depths hidden entirely from the light. Even the cold weather could not stop him from sweating. Surely the madman cannot be implying that…

“Bow.” Zhang commanded simply as he dismounted from his horse.

“My lord, I must-“

“Bow.” He repeated again, his hand still outstretched.

With a grunt of exasperation, the old samurai unslung his bow from his back and placed it in Lord Zhang’s hands. Risking a possible ogre attack would probably be preferable to certain death at Zhang’s hands. “I beg you to reconsider,” he pleaded. “I have reconsidered my plans of attack a few times,” laughed the madman as he took aim, his powerful muscles drawing back the bowstring to its limit. “I found that this was probably the quickest way.”

He loosed the arrow. It whistled forth, the sound of its passage echoing against the cave walls. Then, there was a faint thud.

The forest fell silent.

The ground trembled under the old samurai’s feet.

A low, deep roar travelled out from the cave like the slow rumbling of thunder… a roar that reached deep into the old man’s soul and plucked out his courage. He fell on his behind, having lost all sensation in his legs.

In front of him, he saw Zhang standing tall. An aura of excitement and bloodlust seemed to emanate from the fearless maniac. Letting the bow drop to the ground, he began disrobing partially, letting the top part of his robes hang around his waist as he flexed his powerful chest. Flakes of white started to fall from the sky: the first snow of winter had come.

Then, the roar echoed again. Closer, this time.

Two red gleaming orbs appeared in the dark depths of the cave, each as big as a man’s palm. They shone with a malevolent intelligence. Eyes – those were eyes, shuddered the old samurai. The legends were true. An ogre lived in the cave.

Though, looking at the expression on Zhang’s face, he did not know which being he feared more.

Disclaimer: The above may or may not bear any resemblance to actual events during Zhang's Happy Fun Trip to Nippon. It could be that he is having a very enjoyable, peaceful and bloodless tour of the countryside.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
That is because we are not like the Son Of Heaven, Lord And Master Of All Things Under The Sun, Zhang Jue. We can never hope to surpass our divine Lord. For fuck's sake, we were too pussy to fight tigers face-to-face, we are a disgrace as a student!
:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom