Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Actually I'm not sure what I clarified. The drinking thing? :lol:

^ Top  
  2. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    We're in a very precarious position with the elder Hei trying to sniff out our motives in coming here. I'm not sure that he'll respect the implied authority that the insignia will bring - the fact of the matter is that it's only our fearsome reputation that's keeping us alive right now, and if we give these guys reason to believe that we're an agent who might be running counter to their interests, they just might try to take us out anyways. It would be fairly simple to cover up; after all, we managed to kill an Imperial agent ourselves under similar circumstances in a secretive fashion.

Being unsure of our motives just might give us the advantage in B:

We have the reputation of being a dangerous fighter, but also an unpredictable guy who just follows his whims easily. Considering that we're the disciple of the Maniac, I'm inclined to believe that it just might be plausible that we would talk to Chanfeng purely for shits and giggles. Of course, Zuolong is awesome at sniffing out someone's true intentions, but Jing has shown to be rather different in terms of motivation than your typical unorthodox type.

^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That we could last half an hour without falling under the table, yes. It is somewhat reassuring.

But since they can delay the return of our friends, if they so desire, it does not change all that much.

^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It's just the jitters about the very dangerous situation we're in, that's all. Seriously, very well written, the anticipation really gets me nervous. Will we pick the right choice, or the wrong choice? Can't wait for an answer. :bounce:
    Oh, and I think that the "thirty minutes" thing is anything but reassuring. The longer we play their game, the more time they have to infer things and back us into a corner.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Yeah, treave good job for impressing the dangerous and mercurial nature of these fellows. They do the double-team very well, too. And the binary nature of the choices is a good done for this moment.

I think with B we will have to do more, Esquilax, than insist that we are here for the lulz. They themselves are highly pragmatic and scheming types, and it will be all too easy to simply believe we have something to hide. After all, Zhang Jue's disciple, looking rather undangerous, turns up with a waifu of all things, and a random friend who wants to see Changfeng? Not to mention they can simply then turn to inquiring after Yu's intentions. We will have to come up with some other sort of bullshit in B, I'd wager. Perhaps insinuate that despite ZJ's own flightiness, BDS is one organisation that ZJ Junior would not mind cavorting with.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    As much as I appreciate the thought, if we wanted to cavort with them, we would be approaching them openly to join up. You said it yourself, extremely practical duo that does the good cop-bad cop routine extremely well. Almost makes you wonder, doesn't it, if they are secret policemen themselves?
    :troll:
    It does seem like B is the "play dumb, pretend to be here for the lulz and stick with our cover story." Our cover story being that Jing is here for Yu's sake and nothing else. Given Youlong's interest in anyone associated with Changfeng, that is a very bad idea.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I guess that's one way to throw them off the scent.
    :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, I should've written a cat and mouse, cop and mole thriller game set in early 90s Hong Kong during the British administration.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That sounds really interesting, actually, I always liked intense psychological dramas. After the Cthulhu LP?
    Edit: or why not during that LP? It will be spanning three centuries of secret-society warfare, I'm sure something is possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Switching to B

Typing with phone now, so no colour choice for me

^ Top  
  12. Flopping to B. The older brother is too smart for this. Also, I doubt there is a trap. He's too busy trying to catch us in something. Why would he even need to catch us in something in order to jump us if he's going to jump us anyway? Not 100% sure about this, but, hey, the vote is pretty one-sided anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A true master of the flop ensures that the preffered option wins and then switches to the opposite side, so that whatever happens, he wins.
    :salute:

Seriously, though, what is the plan for B? The older brother was openly stating for the last two updates that he has extreme interest in anyone associated with Changfeng. Playing with our lovestruck story will only make him more curious in that department. As in, "why don't you and your friends have an extended stay. Oh, but I insist." What's the hope here?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    You guys are missing a point.
    Changfeng is considered as a person of interest, possibly an enemy of the state.
    This means that scholar-bro is now also considered a person of interest (their employer would be very interested, as they mentioned).
    They are not simply going to let us go.
    Option A implies that we are undercover working for the emperor against the enemies of the state, and we have things under control, so they should not interfere.
    Option B implies that we are clueless and depend upon ZJ's reputation to protect us. It may protect us but they definately wont leave Yu unsupervised.

A is definately better in my book.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    If only treave had given us an option to spend more time investigating matters before we walked in here...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Eh, I still think she would have been shipped out by the time we'd returned from investigating (over 3 days just to find it, remember?). More like, if only treave had given us an option to enter as humble new recruits, rather than waltz in declaring who we are and expecting a bunch of greedy mercenaries to be reasonable and not want too much in return.

Show Spoiler
    only one who voted c2 :(
    :butthurt:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    If by investigating you mean 'dick around for an unspecified amount of time', then yes, there was such an option.

If anything, now we know that Changfeng interests them specifically. It would have been careless to think she isn't going anywhere.

And the recruits would have had a hard time getting to meet the prisoner. Liu is none of their business.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. True, but it would have gotten us in the door with less suspicion. After that, more options may have appeared. As things stand, it's almost as bad as if we had snuck in and been captured. Almost. We still have options.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I'm not really sure which is the better option, but since I'm not too fond of the recent trend of last-minute flops I'll vote counter to that. A

^ Top  
  20. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  21. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    Wow this really got me hooked!

I've spent the past 4 days to dig my way through this entire thread to catch up on this godly written, exciting and very amusing story.

Wonderful art of writing treave, my admiration. Usually I have troubles reading rather lengthy yet complex but well written text in English, but this I could read rather fluid with a few words every now and then that I had to effort the translator for. Still I could get an impression on the atmosphere, such as the expressions and feelings of the well worked out unique characters with their quirks. Quite some scenes so far got me touched and hanging at the edge of my seat, given the urge to wish that I could reload the game and try one of the other options. Or at least to actively take part, and have my share in the votings.

For the others this part is a month old but I had my excitement with the Hundred Man Battle yesterday, enthralling and amazing. A boon for the sins, I could picture that whole battle in my mind's eye, absolutely fantastic.

At one scene I've gone a bit overboard. Probably a mix of my poor English and over excitement, but...

I imagined Ji's body blasted across the beach, his hand ripped apart by sheer force but still glued to Jing's hand for a mere moment. :cool:
    But the next line Ji still had both of his hands... that mental cinema. :(;)

By the way, I would have asked a month back... How many died that day?

There is one or two things I miss, or maybe I overlooked them, skimming quite a portion of the comments in between the updates but it is partially here and there mentioned. Is there a table somewhere as of the skills and stats maybe with a short description and their appearance of those Jing meets during his adventures? I mean the estimated values Jing has about them in his mind? And a overworld map with known locations and distances?

Maybe I just overlooked those, if not and there are none it could be neat to have those, I think...

I have no idea how such an ambitious project is worked out and I bet it is hell of a lot of work. Out of interest how flexible is the story line?

I'll line up with the fans of this LP.

Oh my vote goes B if it isn't to late.

fixed a few errors

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    ^ Top  
  22. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    RealDDc , the table of skills and stats is on the first page, the map would be any reasonably decent map of China minus sites established after the Tang Dynasty and probably some other acceptable artistic drift, and treave only confirmed that some died at the beach and that we'd need to talk to some folks at the mainland with some knowledge of the battle to get some more exact numbers for deaths.

^ Top  
  23. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    I checked the first page again, I couldn't find this information. You probably mentioned the table for Jing's stats, I had a table in mind of the estimated stats and skills of those he meets on the way. As for the map, though I wasn't aware the real map is the playground, I thought about the so far experienced locations like the buildings visited and such.

Fair enough. :)
    Thanks Kipeci

^ Top  
  24. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    There's no table for the folks we meet, unfortunately. Occasionally we'll get an estimation of a character's stat from treave, but those are generally buried very deep in the commentary. The only one I can recall off of the top of my head is that Guo Fu ranks at a 9 or so in Strength.

^ Top  
  25. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    If I remember correctly, whether or not people died was unknown. You can infer that there were some extremely serious injuries at the very least, though.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.