Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Well, unless you really want to go to Youxia City now, it seems that getting the assistance of the Emei is superior to the alternatives. Besides, we need to get healed.

As for why they'd help us: We're neutral with the Emei, okay with the Abbess, and one of the Emei Sect's principles is "Help will be given to those who ask for it." We're asking for the Emei Sect's assistance to stop slavery of ethnic Han women. That's not us just asking a stupid favor out of them. That's us asking them to do something about these crimes that go strongly against the law and their values. We could have -75 rep with Emei and they would still feel compelled to act on this issue.

As for why they could be successful, the Abbess Miecao herself was a notorious outlaw back in the day, so it's quite possible she's got the skills to trace the criminal underworld.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Dude, Changfeng tried to kidnap hep. No way in hell Yunzi is lifting a finger for her.
    The Fire Cult is preparing for the big show, they have neither time nor the firepower to spare.

No, we are in no position to help the slaves now.

Let Yu do the thinking. And talking. He has a survivor and a witness with him, too. If he manages to find allies, the raid on Youxia City might provide some insight on where the slaves went. We don't need to track them all.
    But this is a matter for the future. For now, we should deal with more immediate problems.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    That's a pretty loose definition of "help". Perhaps treave, can clarify, but I figured it was more along the lines of seeking sanctuary or succor at a church when you're facing hardship (i.e. they'll give you a place to say and something to eat if you're down on your luck, it doesn't mean that they'll assemble the Adeptas Soriritas just because some random schmo asked them to).

I dunno man, I think that trying to enlist help in stopping some anti-government slavers is going to be a hard sell when we've staked a good bit of our rep in fighting off a bunch of respected patriots and we're a known outlaw ourselves. "Man Tiger Pig wants to stop some slavers? He's obviously got something far more devious in mind." They aren't going to hear us out.

Our rep is neutral, which doesn't help the point either. Neutral means that they have nothing against us and won't hinder us personally, it doesn't mean that they're blind to what our overall rep in the world is and that they value our world. It's funny that our reputation with so many factions is so bad that "neutral" has become the new "good" when it comes to reputation. As long as they don't want to kill us, our reputation is good with them. :lol:

As for Abbess Miecao, she has a sect to run. She might give us some aid covertly - in fact, I'd count on it - but she isn't going to do anything publicly for us. Miecao and the Frathouse might be in charge of their sects, but they still have to bow down to pressure from both other sects and they have to deal with internal politics as well. That's what the whole conspiracy at the tournament was designed to do - force the hand of the various sect heads. They're obviously in charge and extremely well-respected, but even they have to deal with people telling them what to do.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    On an unrelated note, it takes a month and a half to get to the Mt. Emei, and Yunzi may still want to return to the Fire Cult.

Can't Jing finally ask her what happened with the Ashina tribe?

What are they keeping the castration squads for, then?
    The Emei are understaffed, so I'd rather not have them raiding anyone. But the Abbess (the Abbess, not Man Tiger Pig, mind you) may want to let the other sect heads know of the slave trade, and together they would be able to muster quite a force. It is what Jing wanted to do in the first place - to use the orthodoxes for shutting down BDS operations.

They still probably can't do anything until the challenge is resolved. So that's our incentive to help them win.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Treave, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jing's neigong should still be unusable?

^ Top  
  6. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    hmmm, I am torn between A and B.

There is just one question that I need answer for. Why would Yunzi fight Chanfeng, if she starts screaming about her sisters in slavery? Yunzi might not care about Chanfeng, but is she that cold that she would let only hope for those women to be taken with us against her will? There is also unknown factor called Xiaoqi here. We don't know, if she has more tricks than smokebombs in her sleeve nor have any idea about her fighting skills.

^ Top  
  7. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    She wouldn't be helping her, she would be helping all those innocent slaves. Or was that whole speech about only them being able to protect the people just bullshit pr? Hell, if she refuses, we could at least point that out to he, maybe damaging her image of the cult at least a little.

^ Top  
  8. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Well...
    Also, Xiahou Yu is pleading for us to stop her, so I say we oblige him and vote A. Jing is injured, but so is Chanfeng, and he's also resistant to Chanfeng's neigong, immune to pressure point techniques, and resistant against poison.

^ Top  
  9. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Wunan Sect an unorthodox sect of psychos? No one seemed to mourn their passing in the city, so I don't think anyone will care for them. Anyway, we are getting sidetracked here: step one is to decide what to do with Changfeng. Yunzi will fight Changfeng because she's been spoiling for a rematch against her all this time, and she doesn't really like her. Xiaoqi will be taken care of by us, mostly, I don't think anyone here expects Jing to be at his 100% with a fucking missing eye.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yunzi is not stupid. She knows we do not tolerate slavery, and that if we could we would not let the slavers roam free.
    It is not about being cold, it is just that Changfeng is not their shining beacon of hope. Alone, she can't do anything but get herself (and Xiaoqi) killed, that is why Yu does not want to let her go.

Anyway, Yunzi would not force Changfeng to stay if she tries to leave some time after. But right now, if we ask her to, she will oblige.

If Changfeng wants to help the slaves no matter what, let Yu go with her, on his own. Do not try to stop him, do not split them apart.

I think Changfeng will realize that their best chance to help the slaves lies with the orthodox sects, or anyone else who has similar military power. Not by themselves.

And we had fought Xiaoqi once, back in Luoyang, remember? At least I think so. She is bad at it.

They weren't. They were just secretive. In fact, Changfeng does not consider herself an integral part of their group:

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Don't want to fight psycho bitch, don't want to go to the city. Leaves only one possible choice.

B

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: Jing isn't what you'd call "anti-slavery" exactly:
    Slavery is a staple of the times, there is no changing that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Its so ask for part where Xu Jing say something like:
    After you get to city you gather info and let her rest a bit to get back to shape, she isnt that bad when it comes to cracking heads.

Try to solve this problem with your head instead of muscles and do it quickly after you start to act, or you will have whole city against you.

You lovestruck idiotic retard if you have to do this go, but i expect that this wont be easy so better remain in one piece or i will tear you apart next time we will see each other.

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, he is against these slavers.

^ Top  
  15. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Flopping to A.
    . Lets hope that this works. It's all or nothing now. It would suck now if we get hit by Chanfeng poison Qi, now that we don't have Talismans.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There are a lot of crimes in the world. To solve them all and by herself is not the responsibility of the Holy Maiden.

How is not going on a suicide mission 'damaging' to her image? For all they care, it was the corrupt Imperial agents oppressing the people with the implicit agreement from Chinese pugilists. They don't have anything to do with it. Maybe they'll take care of it sometime later after winning the challenge, if they ever need more PR.

Right now, there is zero - zero - reason for her to do anything about it. What can she do, lay siege to the city?

Freeing one prisoner wasn't easy. Freeing tens of them with just three people is nearly impossible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Probably because they enslave Han - I don't think that Jing is against the institution of slavery altogether. But seriously, can we not go on a moralfaggotry anti-slavery crusade all of a sudden? Yeah, the Wunan members are slaves, but fuck 'em. I just can't be worked up to give a fuck about their predicament beyond what they might know about Shun's attackers and why they sought out to go after the Tujue. We are unlikely to get any help from the orthodox sects in the near future (i.e. before the Fire Cult challenge at the very least):

It's not our responsibility to save the fucking world here. The orthodox sects are upright and they won't tolerate the slavery of Han citizens, but they are unlikely to raid outside government territory, and they aren't going to lift a finger to help a bunch of people who've associated with the likes of Chanfeng unless we provide some good reasons. The unorthodox world is brutal and harsh. A lot of this will be chalked up to "unorthodox gonna unorthodox" because they know that's the cutthroat nature of the game on our side of the jianghu. Unorthodox groups acting brutally towards each other is hardly newsworthy.

Nevill, we never fought Xiaoqi. She snuck into the BDS to free Chanfeng, and we met her just before our encounter with Gao Ying. However, Xiaoqi is really young, inexperienced and probably doesn't know how to fight. She has some tricks with smoke bombs, but in a straight-up fight, she probably isn't much. This is just conjecture on my part, but I think I'm correct on this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nu-uh. Obviously, I have no proof. But...

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. SirArvedeth Novice

SirArvedeth
    I hope you'll let me join this lp, I've been reading it since beginning but I kinda felt scared of joining...

I'm voting for A, as that's giving us a slight chance of keeping some people with us. Going to Youxia, just after we died there, is a stupidity imho.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well the cult claimed that they are coming to save the common people from the chaos that is currently rampant. So, tell her to ask her cult buddies for some support for this mission. She doesn't even have to go herself. Point out to her what a pr coup fixing something like that could be for the cult - "corrupt Imperial agents oppressing the people with the implicit agreement from Chinese pugilists" - they are certainly not fans of either group. If the cult refuses we can point out to her that that was just bullshit pr and that the cult is just another group of assholes out for themselves, maybe damaging her impression of the cult. It certainly costs us nothing to ask her.

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Unorthodox Chinese pugilists. As far as we know, the Fire Cult's main game here is to make the orthodox sects look bad so that they can establish themselves in their place, they don't gain much from making the Black Dragon Society look bad because the general public already knows that groups like that are bad.

Furthermore, it's a stupid thing for her to even ask. Rescue a bunch of slaves that are also unorthodox types themselves on land that isn't even Tang dominion for slaves that the public at large don't even know exist. This operation was carried out by the BDS in secret, it's not like all of China is incensed at the scandal of having ethnic Han people being taken as slaves by their own government. They gain nothing from involving themselves in this.

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Me, I think all of this was pure bullshitting, just a PR stunt. They had shown no respect for our customs and our people back at the tournament. But even if they didn't lie about it, they can not spare people, nor do they have an authority to perform a full grade military operation in the Empire's territory.

Really, it is not rocket science. Both the orthodox pugilists and the cult are preparing to fight for their lives at the next tournament. The lives of the slaves are secondary to both of them, no matter their motives.

You do not seem to understand how important the upcoming challenge is for everyone involved, and even for those who are not. It may change the fate of the country itself. Who would risk endangering their chances for the sake of some slaves? It isn't because they are evil hypocrites, it is because they are dealing with a much bigger task at hand.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Well duh, of course it was bullshit pr. But Yunzi might not know that. So put her in the position where her husband to be will have to tell her no because beating the orthodox fighters is more important to him than the suffering of people - it would be worthy just for that. And if they agree at least it increases the chances of getting the scholar back in one piece. The point is it costs us nothing to ask her now, so why the fuck not? What do we have to lose?

^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I suspect a B vote might be the only way to save Jing's injured eye, however. If we get into a fight now, I wouldn't put it beyond either of those two to aim for Jing's eye. And if we go to Youxia City we won't be getting healed in time.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The challenge is not about the orthodox pugilists. The challenge is about who controls the territory.

If they alleviate the suffering of the people, but lose in the fight, then they have failed the people, because they can't defend their interests anymore. Or so they would say. Really, it isn't a smart thing to ask - there is always an explanation why they can't do so.

Moreover, do you really expect them to raid one of the Empire's cities? Wut?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.