Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Anabanana

Augur
Sorry, still am not over the fact that he now has one eye. ONE FUCKING EYE.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's just it, studying the Cult's teachings and learning foreign, never before seen techniques seems like a better option to arm ourselves for tournament against both the Fire Cult, and the homebrew sects. Everyone knows Emei's swordplay by now.

Fangshi

Arcane
Anabanana said:
Sorry, still am not over the fact that he now has one eye. ONE FUCKING EYE.

Don't think of it as a loss of 2 PER points, think of it as a doubling of our COOL points. Clearly it was an upgrade.

Edit:
Obviously to repay her we should be her wingman and try and get her together with him.

Well if you want to increase her chances with BJ then you should pick A like me. If Jing is around then poor BJ will have eyes for no one else. It is only by leaving that we will give Miss Song a chance to win BJ's heart.

Also since Cao'er is going with us she can use her insane PER to spot flaws in the technique of the Fire Cultists increasing our chances when the challenge comes around if we have to fight them.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Can't say I'm too interested in the fire cult. Shun should have the ability and resources to stay alive. He sent us AWAY to do a mission.
Qilin could be a reason to go for B. She is something of a friend and her family needs help. I'd go for B if she wants us to go along.
That leaves C as my fall back. Time to rest, train, and actually do some investigation work for our actual mission.

B (ask Qilin if she want our help and go with her only if she does) otherwise, C

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She wouldn't mind if you went with her but she'd be wondering why. She's a bit less stubborn about these things than, say, Yunzi.

Fangshi

Arcane
Oh right, that is the one secret we have kept from almost everyone, that we are an imperial agent, so she would not know that we might be able to help.

Would revealing our actual allegiance to Quilin and her dad in order to help them deal with Shun be more of a boon or a liability I wonder, it may be difficult to maintain our cover if we are required to try and negotiate between these two parties. Well something to consider at least.

Fangshi

Arcane
I was more worried about coming and going between an imperial camp and essentially a spymaster's stronghold both at full alert without raising questions amongst the imperial officers or Wudu assassins, though I suppose we could conceal our identity so there are ways to deal with the problem. It is just risky is all, if we want to keep our identities as a pugilist and an imperial agent separate there are real opportunities to screw that up with B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you're specifically looking for a 'please come with me, I need you', it's not there, so I'll count your vote for C.

Baltika9

Arcane
But we're not doing B exclusively for her, though, we're doing it mostly for Shun. Sure, helping out Quilin and the Wudu sounds cool, but Shun takes higher priority, simple as that. We can try to do it peacefully and run messages (Jing is creative, I'm sure he'll come up with something, him and Shun have their own childhood code language to communicate) between the factions, but for that the Wudu would need to know who we are, but they're not the types to blab secrets like that if Quilin is anything to go by. So I definitely think that B is a worthwhile endeavor, but am also contemplating a flop to A.

With treave's "priorities/interest" system, I'm afraid that declining it to train/go to Shun will completely put Yunzi out of his mind.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I'm not looking for a please come. More like
Jing: "Do you want some help?"
Qilin: "Sure."
I just don't want to butt in and mess up whatever she wants to do without her consent beforehand.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What part of that doesn't fall under her not minding that you come along? I mean, she knows you well enough to understand that you're not asking to go along just to stand there and watch. If she allows you to follow her in such a crucial moment it's a tacit understanding that you're probably going to try something to solve the issue. She has no idea how to do that herself at the moment, she's just rushing back to check things out.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ah, sorry. I wasn't sure she knew we weren't tagging along just for giggles. Jing does have that reputation.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With the orthodox crowd, yes. She's spent enough time around Cao'er to know better, at least.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
we're doing it mostly for Shun

Oh definitely, if we pick B then Jing's primary loyalty will be with Shun, actually that might put us in the unenviable position of having to try and kill Quilin's dad or Quilin on Shun's orders.

I mean if we fail and the two sides come to blows, Jing can't just abandon Shun at that point, we may well wind up fighting the Wudu to serve our sovereign, would be a bit of a shame, though that is perhaps more of a concern to deal with if B wins.

I do not think the pretenders are trying to kill Shun off just yet, I mean they successfully poisoned the emperor, if they can get to him they should be able to get to Shun in the palace unless the vast majority of Shun's support comes from within the palace. Shun has his followers, he probably also has the Minamoto at this point and he is the future emperor of China, this sort of thing is what he was raised to deal with, he should be fine for the most part. I am actually a bit more worried about what the conspirators can get up to while he is away from the palace and unable to counter their influence. If he survives the campaign he may be headed back to a real snake pit.

MystiKnight

Educated
Voting B. I've played enough Dwarf Fortress to know that if we let Shun get hurt, or worse, killed, Jing's going to throw a tantrum because he wasn't there to help him and fall into despair. Chances are we're going to get him gravely wounded anyway, but at least we'll know we could have done something.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Choosing B will probably end up killing Shun ironically because we will end up doing something stupid, and he will die trying to save us.

That being said. B anyway!

Esquilax

Arcane
And before this train of thought makes us scared of him, I would like to point out that we've never actually fought and we didn't even use our neiggong in the assassination, since it would re-open our internal wounds and fuck us up. In both scenarios, we ran as fast as we could to get away from him. Jing is brutal and fast fighter, with our neiggong, we can definitely take him.

But I think he's Shun's guy, so we'll be alright.

But he doesn't really know if we're Shun's guy. That's the real trouble here. The dart that he launched at us may not have hit us, but it definitely had bad intentions, so he definitely wants to snuff us out. I'm not saying that we can't somehow prove our identity and work with him, but based on the way that he operates, if we see him before we clear things up, he is going to be trying to take us out. Imagine what you would do if you were in Gao Ying's position; there's an insanely unpredictable, dangerous pugilist running around who knows how the secret service operates, and you don't know which faction he's with. He said that he was with Shun, but that might have been bullshit to get to get your guard down. Next time you see him, the smart thing to do would be to take him out, just to be on the safe side.

I wonder if killing Eunuch Li's agent back at the mansion might provide us with an advantage should we go with B. We know that Li is one of Shun's enemies, so this is one less pawn they have to maneuver. It seems that every agent these Imperial Court factions have in the pugilistic world is precious, so it probably set Eunuch Li back quite a bit.

That's just it, studying the Cult's teachings and learning foreign, never before seen techniques seems like a better option to arm ourselves for tournament against both the Fire Cult, and the homebrew sects. Everyone knows Emei's swordplay by now.

Nobody saw Yunzi's techniques before (aside from the Yinglang Step), but that didn't stop us from beating her. The secret's going to be out once the tournament starts anyways. Plus, I don't think that's all there is to perfecting and improving one's martial arts style; with C, we'll have the likes of Cao'er and Yu to help us theorycraft a few ideas as well. We've been spending some time forging our own sword style, I don't see why we can't adapt a few things from Emei's swordplay either.

I gotta admit, it's kind of a shame that B is winning so handily. I kinda understand why, but at the same time I think our involvement will be more of a help to Qilin and her uncle than it will be to Shun. I can't foresee a set of circumstances in which Tulu Huodu would poison Shun out of desperation; by all accounts he's a smart guy, and I think he knows that even if the Wudu Cult faces annihilation, offing Shun will just make things worse. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I think that two guys as brilliant as the Western Snake and Shun Li will be able to work something out.

Also, B doesn't seem to be sticking with the parameters of our mission. Our mission was to infiltrate the pugilistic world and find out their connection to court politics. Shun has agents to protect him from poison and assassins, we're the only one he has to investigate a guy like Mao Sanjiao.

Then again, maybe I'm still butthurt about ditching the Fire Cult and/or I want an awesome Rocky montage as we prepare for the big show (although Guo Fu reminds me much more of Rocky Balboa than Jing does):

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fangshi said:
the government wiped out the Ashina and that did not kill them all, many escaped (including Yunzi) so even in the worst case scenario where Shun and the Wudu are doomed to fight there is still a decent chance that Shun and Quilin will both survive
The government didn't wipe out the Ashina. They didn't send an army after them, as far as I have understood, they just meddled until the neighbouring tribes did it. Quite possibly there was a faction that oversaw the process, but it hardly was official, given that the government wanted to establish an alliance with them.

You want to see what happens when the government takes the job to exterminate someone, you need not look further than the massacre the late Emperor unleashed on his own family to support his claims to the throne. Or at Yang Xue's kin.

Esquilax said:
I gotta admit, it's kind of a shame that B is winning so handily. I kinda understand why, but at the same time I think our involvement will be more of a help to Qilin and her uncle than it will be to Shun.
Precisely. Qilin is in mortal danger, and Yunzi is not. That's all there is to the choice, and I see no shame in it.

Esquilax said:
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but I think that two guys as brilliant as the Western Snake and Shun Li will be able to work something out.
Well, you don't know how brilliant Tulu Huodu is.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
The government didn't wipe out the Ashina.

Yeah, fair enough, but then it would not take an army to wipe out a single tribe anyway. All I am saying is that the Wudu are a stronger group than the Ashina and I would not so quickly count them out. Either way looks like B has a solid lead so hopefully Jing can negotiate an alliance between the two instead of letting them fight it out.

ScubaV

Prophet
Looks like the bandwagon is already rolling downhill, but I'll vote A. I think (hope) that Shun can handle himself well enough in this situation. Without our neigong, he probably even has more capable men than us at his disposal (perhaps Gao Ying?). However, he likely lacks good intel on the Fire Cult which we can provide while benefiting ourselves at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom