Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

LWC1996

Learned
Where we go next will have an impact on our relationship with her and with her people.

You guys are REALLY obsessed with maintaining good impression and ties with all these new ppl in your life, but totally forgetting of maintaining your own BFF relationship with Shun.

You wanted to talk to Shun before and now you get a chance to catch up, why not?

I never wanted Shun to poor his nose into this Wudu - Imperial Palace showdown in the first place. But again, damsel in distress won out. Am I exasperated? Hell yeah I am. But what can I do. Majority rules.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I believe I was the one that started this paranoia of Shun being already poisoned. If he is, there are two case scenarios.

The first one is that it is a slow poison and as we'll soon find out at the Wudu headquarters, we can head there immediately.

The second case is that it is a fast acting poison which case he is already dead.

Even if we go there and Shun is poisoned why would anyone think anybody is going to let us close to him. In fact they might suspect we are the poisoners who came to finish up the job and hang us for this very reason. When royalty is poisoned or dies, people have the habit to find a culprit fantastically fast. It doesn't matter to them if that guy is guilty or not as much as it matters that it appears as if justice has been carried out, to discourage future acts like this.

LWC1996

Learned
I believe I was the one that started this paranoia of Shun being already poisoned. If he is, there are two case scenarios.

The first one is that it is a slow poison and as we'll soon find out at the Wudu headquarters, we can head there immediately.

The second case is that it is a fast acting poison which case he is already dead.

Even if we go there and Shun is poisoned why would anyone think anybody is going to let us close to him. In fact they might suspect we are the poisoners who came to finish up the job and hang us for this very reason. When royalty is poisoned or dies, people have the habit to find a culprit fantastically fast. It doesn't matter to them if that guy is guilty or not as much as it matters that it appears as if justice has been carried out, to discourage future acts like this.

Dare we take the risk and assume Shun is on a time release poison? How do you know that you won't be detained with other things enroute to saving Shun?

You guys are so determined to talk to everyone except the one that matters, Shun.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You guys are REALLY obsessed with maintaining good impression and ties with all these new ppl in your life, but totally forgetting of maintaining your own BFF relationship with Shun.

You wanted to talk too Shun and now you get a chance to catch up, why not?
I wanted to do that? No, I didn't. Or rather, not that much.

I have expressed time and time again what I want from Jing. And yes, I want to maintain ties with all these people we came to call friends. Before, Jing only had his liege, and I didn't find that very healthy.

Rex Feral said:
I believe I was the one that started this paranoia of Shun being already poisoned.
Why would he be poisoned? The things are not yet at a point where Wudu would resort to that. Qilin told us as much.
Poisoning the crown prince is the last 'fuck you, too' the Wudu can do. They would have to completely run out of options, first.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Everyone matters equally in my opinion. And I'd first tend to the needs of those in a more dire need of help.

Shun is a big boy and he has Ying to watch out for him. I pressume he'll survive until we get to him with enough evidence to stop or delay the attack. The Wudu might have that evidence with them but since they are up to be exterminated no one is going to listen to them. If we gather that evidence and present it to the prince we might be able to do more good than if we just rush at his side because we had a bad dream in which he was poisoned.

The poison is more likely to come from within camp, from the real culprits behind the emperor's poisoning, to further accuse the Wudu and instigate conflict even more.

Also the vote might be something like Qilin vs Shun, or loyalists vs rebels (since Wudu had ties to Lady Ji, and the bunch from the manor were not really the emperor's fans)

Nevill

Arcane
If the prince can't fend for himself while we are away, how can he be expected to rule the Empire? He sent us away, and he told us he'll be fine on his own. I don't think he needs our help, though he could always use it.

The likely outcome if we don't interfere would be the extermination of Qilin's Clan, not the sudden death of the heir to the throne. He has people to watch his back, and now that his father lies in a coma, he should be doubly careful.

LWC1996

Learned
Doesn't anyone want to know what's happened inside the palace since Shun sent Jing away? Best source is straight from the horse's mouth.

Nevill

Arcane
LWC1996 said:
Doesn't anyone want to know what's happened inside the palace since Shun sent Jing away?
If we did, we'd go with Gao Ying back when we had the choice.

Esquilax

Arcane
Qilin is a friend, and she is the one in danger, and from no other than Shun. If Shun walks away, the situation is resolved, if Qilin does, her family will be hanged and she will be hunted until her death. It is pretty obvious who needs our help more.

It's hardly so simple. Shun's hand was forced by people inside the Imperial Court into coming here in the first place. He can't walk away from this any more than Qilin can.

The discussion of going to Tulu Huodu's to "gain information" is sort of moot because even if the Wudu Cult has a good idea of who poisoned the Emperor, (a) they are outsiders (i.e. not part of the Imperial Court) and the victims of a frame-up, so I see the likelihood of them having any evidence to exonerate themselves to be very unlikely, and (b) certain interests in the government are dead-set on exterminating the Miao in the area, and they don't give a fuck about whether the Wudu Cult did it or not. Basically, knowing who did it and then knowing how to resolve the situation are two different matters entirely. Just because the Western Snake knows who actually did it, doesn't mean he can do anything right now to stop the army from coming in.

For my part, it's possible that if there was a poisoner, they had access to some really powerful Wudu Cult poisons. If Rong Zhiyu could get something that was subtle enough to be almost undetectable - except by Cao'er, of course - then there's no doubt in my mind that a powerful person like a Grand Eunuch could have done the same. I'm inclined to believe that a lot of people wanted the Emperor dead; nobody we've met seems to have nice things to say about him and his brutal rise to power must have made a lot of enemies that could still hold a grudge. And if that isn't enough, he's a paranoid recluse who's been running the country into the ground. Hell, I could even see why people loyal to Shun might want the Emperor dead - kill the old man now so that his far more competent son can take the reins of power during the current crisis.

I think that we're unlikely to do anything substantial right now to stop the extermination campaign from happening on the Wudu Cult's end. Yes, they might become desperate enough to attempt to take out Lu Bu and Prince Shun in order to save themselves, but I don't think that they're quite at that moment yet. As long as we can stall for some more time on the Prince's end, we can start working towards a resolution.

As for the choice, as crazy at is, I think that B3 iis the one that's most likely to work. Yeah, it might blow our cover, but time really is of the essence here. With B2, it's going to be tougher; considering how on edge everyone is, the soldiers here might assume that we're with the Cult. Kindly, wandering physicians who just managed to show up before the government sent their troops in? Not exactly an easy sell.

Nevertheless, I'm not too convinced by a lot of the arguments in favour of A. I think that we can do more to resolve the situation from the Prince's end rather than the Wudu Cult's end. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Nevill just wants A because he wants to abandon our beloved Yunzi for Qilin, which is totally unacceptable.

I'm still kinda torn, but I guess I'll reluctantly go with B2.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Why would he be poisoned? The things are not yet at a point where Wudu would resort to that. Qilin told us as much.
Poisoning the crown prince is the last 'fuck you, too' the Wudu can do. They would have to completely run out of options, first.

Totally agree, I don't think that the Wudu Cult will try anything unless their backs are on the wall and they want to deliver a massive "fuck you" to the government for exterminating them. Seeing as that isn't the case, why would we be going with A? Brownie points with Qilin?

It seems to me that the Cult probably won't do anything until the government starts to move. Given our unique position here, I think we'd do the most good by stalling for time right now.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I just want to pitch in and say that we absolutely cannot do B3.

I read back and in the first update of the first chapter Shun said that we would already need a pardon for our actions when he became emperor. He told us that we probably wouldn't be able to talk to him for probably a few years.

With our wonderful reputation, going up to him and calling him out like that with our already horrific invitation could lead to some very bad consequences, to say the least. Sneaking in to see him might alleviate some of the problem a bit, but I am beginning to think that coming to see him may not have been as good of a choice as it seemed a few days ago.

A, Not that it really matters.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Qilin is a friend, and she is the one in danger, and from no other than Shun. If Shun walks away, the situation is resolved, if Qilin does, her family will be hanged and she will be hunted until her death. It is pretty obvious who needs our help more.

It's hardly so simple. Shun's hand was forced by people inside the Imperial Court into coming here in the first place. He can't walk away from this any more than Qilin can.

The discussion of going to Tulu Huodu's to "gain information" is sort of moot because even if the Wudu Cult has a good idea of who poisoned the Emperor, (a) they are outsiders (i.e. not part of the Imperial Court) and the victims of a frame-up, so I see the likelihood of them having any evidence to exonerate themselves to be very unlikely, and (b) certain interests in the government are dead-set on exterminating the Miao in the area, and they don't give a fuck about whether the Wudu Cult did it or not. Basically, knowing who did it and then knowing how to resolve the situation are two different matters entirely. Just because the Western Snake knows who actually did it, doesn't mean he can do anything right now to stop the army from coming in.

For my part, it's possible that if there was a poisoner, they had access to some really powerful Wudu Cult poisons. If Rong Zhiyu could get something that was subtle enough to be almost undetectable - except by Cao'er, of course - then there's no doubt in my mind that a powerful person like a Grand Eunuch could have done the same. I'm inclined to believe that a lot of people wanted the Emperor dead; nobody we've met seems to have nice things to say about him and his brutal rise to power must have made a lot of enemies that could still hold a grudge. And if that isn't enough, he's a paranoid recluse who's been running the country into the ground. Hell, I could even see why people loyal to Shun might want the Emperor dead - kill the old man now so that his far more competent son can take the reins of power during the current crisis.

I think that we're unlikely to do anything substantial right now to stop the extermination campaign from happening on the Wudu Cult's end. Yes, they might become desperate enough to attempt to take out Lu Bu and Prince Shun in order to save themselves, but I don't think that they're quite at that moment yet. As long as we can stall for some more time on the Prince's end, we can start working towards a resolution.

As for the choice, as crazy at is, I think that B3 iis the one that's most likely to work. Yeah, it might blow our cover, but time really is of the essence here. With B2, it's going to be tougher; considering how on edge everyone is, the soldiers here might assume that we're with the Cult. Kindly, wandering physicians who just managed to show up before the government sent their troops in? Not exactly an easy sell.

Nevertheless, I'm not too convinced by a lot of the arguments in favour of A. I think that we can do more to resolve the situation from the Prince's end rather than the Wudu Cult's end. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Nevill just wants A because he wants to abandon our beloved Yunzi for Qilin, which is totally unacceptable.

I'm still kinda torn, but I guess I'll reluctantly go with B3 > B2.

You make a fair point about the Wudu not attacking unless they have their backs to the wall, but I thought it was past that point already. An army of 10 000 was sent to exterminate (not take them in for trial) and is encamped nearby. Next thing that happens is the actual attack. Not negotiations. Not investigations. Their fate is sealed in the Imperial Court's eyes. They don't have much more to lose by assassinating the Crown Prince and a general. And I think they might just do that in order to create chaos within the army, giving them better chance of escaping.

You know they could poison, through supplies, a good part of the army too, in order to buy time, if they haven't done this already.

Though I agree time is really of the essence here, and B3, lest it backfires on us horrbly, is the most time saving choice. Is it possible we do it in a subtle, discreet way? Like sending one soldier to notify Shun that his agent has arrived. Or something that doesn't go off like we shouting our name and status in front of the whole military camp.

Why I would go to the military camp, is on the hypothesis that if the Emperor really was poisoned by someone specific, someone else than the Wudu, and was not a victim of his immortality pills, that person might be working with someone who is against Shun. And what better way to get rid of the Crown Prince than by sending him with and army against a Poison Cult, then have him poisoned like the emperor, further frame the Wudu, which are now beyond all hope of redemption. The Emperor dies, the Crown Prince dies, the Wudu are exterminated as scapegoats and the Miao are exterminated as a bonus on pressumption of harboring enemies of the state and so they solve 4 problems simultaneously. Ten years from now, looking back at history, everything will appear pretty legit.

The dangers to Shun seem both from within his own encampment as well as from the Wudu.

If we go to him we could further protect him and have Cao'er treat him, in case he is indeed poisoned, either by the Wudu or someone else.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
He can't walk away from this any more than Qilin can.
He can if he points out who poisoned his dad, and shows enough evidence to back his claim. Whether or not it would be the real poisioner, or another one of his enemies does not really matter. The evidence can be forged or planted. Basically, he does not need to exonerate the Wudu Cult, he needs to accuse someone else and execute them - then he is home free.

That's assuming that the current situation does not suit him just fine.

I doubt Wudu can solve this on their own in any way. So, yes, I assume they need help more than Shun does.

Esquilax said:
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure Nevill just wants A because he wants to abandon our beloved Yunzi for Qilin, which is totally unacceptable.
Now, that's just low. I love Qilin, I do, but I don't think she will ever have a place in our harem. Too many trust issues.

She is a bro in a skirt, kind of like Sekhenun was when she was still alive.

Esquilax said:
Totally agree, I don't think that the Wudu Cult will try anything unless their backs are on the wall and they want to deliver a massive "fuck you" to the government for exterminating them. Seeing as that isn't the case, why would we be going with A? Brownie points with Qilin?
Because we don't know their situation. A involves us asking about what they are going to do about the impending invasion. You think their backs are not against the wall yet, but you do not know if they have any other options left.

That said, if B3 gains traction, count me in. :)

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Something just occurred me and it might not even be important detail in our current situation. those who fear that we might suspected as poisoners in B2 choice, should remember that Jing and probably Cao'er are Han people, not Miao. This little detail should make our little duo little less suspicious in eyes of the army and makes our patriotic act more believable. Then again that might not matter much when guards and commanders are planning assault against expert poisoners of the country and everyone is pretty much in suspect list.

Treave is there any noticeable differences between Han people and Miao people?

Nevill

Arcane
And what does one's ethnicity mean when they have acupuncture techniques?

A plain girl steps in front of you, giving you a challenging look. You look back at her from behind the mask.

“Xu Jing,” she whispers softly enough that only you can hear. “That is a very stupid disguise. Who do you think you’re fooling?”

You fight back the sudden panic and stare at her face. It is very plain and average. Forgettable – no one you’ve seen before. You have not met this girl before, you’re sure. On the other hand, there is really only one person in this city who knows your true identity and would speak to you like that.
How else do you think they infiltrate factions?
“You can try,” smiles the girl sweetly. “Do you know the second motto of the Wudu Cult?”

“The first one was that profit determines your allies, right?”

“That is correct. The second is this: ‘Anyone who crosses us will die gruesomely’. The Wudu Cult has never failed to make good on that promise. We are masters of poison. I dare say that our training allows us to infiltrate anyplace in the world. Perhaps not overnight, but we can always get our eyes and ears and fingers where they are needed, given time.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Esquilax said:
He can't walk away from this any more than Qilin can.
He can if he points out who poisoned his dad, and shows enough evidence to back his claim. Whether or not it would be the real poisioner, or another one of his enemies does not really matter. The evidence can be forged or planted. Basically, he does not need to exonerate the Wudu Cult, he needs to accuse someone else and execute them - then he is home free.

There are really only three possible answers that would make sense to the court and Shun's fellow princes: the Wudu Cult did it, the entire court was in on it, or the Emperor did it himself. They would come to the same conclusions that Jing did. Obviously the first answer is the most convenient answer, and you only have Qilin's word for it that it is not the real answer. We'll delve more into just why it isn't as simple as fabricating a culprit at this point when the appropriate scene comes along.

Treave is there any noticeable differences between Han people and Miao people?

Behaviour, clothing and dialect aside, probably not too distinguishable just from physical features. Though as mentioned, the Wudu Cult are rather good at the art of camouflage.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
And what does one's ethnicity mean when you have acupuncture techniques?

Not much as I have mentioned, but it might help a little around common soldiers. We don't know how common knowledge Wudu guys acupuncture is, there is a chance that guys in lower end of chain of command do not know about it. I expect however that higher ups and secret police will know.

How else do you think they infiltrate factions?

Your point is?

Nevill

Arcane
My point is that since Wudu can disguise themselves as pretty much anyone, the 'security' there will not look at one's ethnicity much.

I don't really understand why the grunts would suspect us of anything, if we are not trying to approach the prince or high command, and if we do, I assume that their guards know about this bit. So either the worries are baseless, or the counter-argument is irrelevant. No offense meant.

Kipeci

Arcane
We can't exactly act as a conduit for information between Wudu and Shun if we can't get into Wudu. Shun will likely have the same level of really high security more or less throughout his trip. The Wudu are paranoid and their trust will be pretty low for us if we come to them straight from their camp.

And while all of you are talking about how Shun must have a lot of options available to end this, in actuality his sensible choices are pretty limited. So long as the Wudu remain the only obvious and acceptable culprit-- and good luck finding any evidence otherwise, Shun can't simply announce that his father poisoned himself and withdraw-- he can't stand down without a massive loss in face. Shun is concerned with securing his own power, and while he may be reluctant to attack Wudu, he's been forced into this and they aren't exactly a sympathetic group.

The Wudu are more free in that they can determine their style of resistance against the Crown Prince, and we have the option to have a hand in that if we can go with them. I don't know how the majority opinion here seems to think that we can talk Shun into leaving this based on the testimony and bro-ness of one Wudu member.

Nevill

Arcane
So, uh... What's the plan? I thought we could have pointed to another culprit, but it seems it is not in the cards. Then what is left?

Unless we can relocate every offender of the Court to Zhang's Island and declare it an independant state. Hmmm.

Tigranes

Arcane
A.

Look, what exactly will we do if we make it to Shun and in what way will he be able to make use of us? We put him at risk by even contacting him, especially if we are traveling physicians with uncanny ability and appearance. Shun will never be able to say he knows us, but even if he pretends he doesn't know us and then personally gives us a hearing or allows us to have any kind of say, this will put his position at risk with other nobles - it makes him look shady in every sort of way. So, now, let us imagine the best case scenario, where we gain passage to Shun and then have a totally secret chat without ever revealing to anyone else that we contact him while we are there. What is he going to tell us? What will help him the most? He can't afford to keep us by his side, so really, for him, the best mission he could use us for is to infiltrate the Wudu Camp.

Which links up with the logic that the whole reason we're out here to begin with is because this is where we are useful, incognito and in areas where he cannot send his other agents.

The only advantage to Bx is that we will hopefully get a clear understanding of what happened in the palace, what he wants us to do re. Wudu. That is valuable, yes. But that has to be judged against a lot of other risks as I outlined above.

On the other hand, there are things we can find out from the Wudu. It's not unreasonable to assume they'll know a bit more about what they are accused of, given their knowledge networks. And if they have a plan of action that is likely to endanger Shun or destabilise the state of affairs further, we can help prevent that.

Kayerts

Arcane
A seems like the obviously good choice. I can't imagine Shun being thrilled that we're flaunting both our exile and his personal mission, and our current reasoning for why we're doing it is, "I have no evidence for the Wudu cult's innocence, nor sufficient information on the facts of the case to support a strong argument in their defense, but poisonchick here has been a total bro and JINGBROS don't kill JINGBROS!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom