Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, though it's a bit harder to gain respect from the orthodox sects this way. It's a perfectly viable unorthodox way of settling deathmatches, and you aren't bound by any code of honour not to use such a tactic.
The first draft of how to win Zhang Jue's challenge involved summoning all of the orthodox pugilists to Zhang's Island to participate in a glotious all-on-one battle in the jungle, with us picking them off one by one, Predator style.

Maybe we can yet return to the idea.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Is Yunzi at AGI 11 by our estimate (when under the effects of her special techniques), or did we never get to test it?

Quite likely. Though by Master-level I mean the masters of major sects like Huashan, Taishan and Kunlun, which is a step below Great-level. They might still be faster than you (perhaps reaching AGI 12, thanks to their greater skill at neigong and qinggong) but they won't be able to instantly overwhelm you with their speed. Neigong, techniques, and skills will also play a role here, of course.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You can be as stealthy as you like, but with 4 perception, you could miss a hidden guard or an alarm tripwire or a trap. Once that happens, merely moving quietly won't save you. Cao'er showed us up when finding the Wudu due to her higher perception which allowed her to take the faster/better path. CCA
We have effectively 6 PER. I don't think 7 would make a difference. And if we can't use Reikan for some reason, then it will be 4 either way.

2 points in Stealth, on the other hand, are the difference between just a skilled adept and a master.
Good point here, but also consider the future: It's just a one point boost now, but what about later? Also, our lack of perception caused us to take a hit and tear a guy's arm off, when we fought the scouts. Again, it also caused us to miss an obviously better path with Cao'er. Just a one point boost might make a difference and later we could boost it further.

I'm not saying you're wrong though. I am still tempted to flop to stealth, but for now I will stick with per.

11 agility sounds alluring. Though the surprise of hiding poisonous animals in the eyesocket is also greatly alluring. So far sticking with my votes.
If we had 11 agility, we'd be fast enough to stick poisonous animals in other people's eye sockets...

Nevill

Arcane
Lambchop19 said:
Again, it also caused us to miss an obviously better path with Cao'er.
I am inclined to think that it is the difference between 10 PER and 6 PER that caused us to miss the path. Qilin missed it, too, and she has both eyes intact.

It is a matter of what we should capitalize on. Stealth will help us greatly in the upcoming mission. Perception may help us during the tournament if we keep our calm. Both can be developed further later.

Again, awesome point. Masterlevel speed and stealth would help us most right now and make us pretty damn lethal - not to mention good at hiding laxatives and stealing womens' clothing. Ok. I will flop to stealth. CCB

asxetos

Augur
I like all the secondary options, but here treave is giving us the choice to 'max out' stealth in a single update. We can easily skip any other stealth upgrades in the future after going 2C+3B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This is the only training choice you're going to get before going to the Fire Cult challenge, by the way. That will take place soon after this side-quest concludes. Since you guys gave up the opportunity to get a lot better at martial arts by not going to the Fire Temple to steal exotic techniques, or by staying in Emei to train diligently, I thought it only fair to warn you.

Of course, not going is always an option.

Is going but then just watching (preferably with a equivalent of a bag of popcorn) while cheering for people we like and betting on the fights, only maybe getting involved to silently backstab a particularly annoying target an option?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sure, you really have no obligation to get involved. Just that a lot of you were eager to use that as an opportunity to showcase your fighting prowess, that's all.

In other words, I have no fucking idea what build you guys are going for. :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Ah, yes, Stealth, Speech, Unarmed. The perfect way to play a Jinxed character in Fallout.
Add a Kamikaze trait in the mix.

I am going for stealthy agile trololo character who can get scot-free out of trouble he creates. He may not end up as one of the Greats, but martial arts are not all there is to life.

Sure, you really have no obligation to get involved. Just that a lot of you were eager to use that as an opportunity to showcase your fighting prowess, that's all.
Not me. I'm not sure what exactly would we be doing there except making sure that people we like don't get hurt. And betting of course. Other than that, let the two sides bleed each other. Less chance of one of them making problems for Shun while he consolidates power that way.

Isn't it obvious? We are going for whatever looks like the coolest option at the moment. You presented us with a cool plan, we decide we need lots of stealth for this one, we pick the stealth options. Who plans for the future when there's a very good chance he could end up dead in a week?

That reminds me - the plan might be outrageously risky, but I can't resist, I want to be a sneaky bastard:
CCB

Elfberserker

Liturgist
CBB
For now.

I still haven't decided how we should approach empire problem, but C seems like most lulziest and rieskiest of them all. I am however easily persuaded in this matter.

Spider silk thing seems like it could be real asset in combat, especially since we lack any sort of defence
technique. Besides wielding spider silk in combat seems so cool.

Kagemi is useful in becoming ninja, having 2+ steatlh is never bad thing for us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You presented us with a cool plan, we decide we need lots of stealth for this one, we pick the stealth options.

For A yes. C is going to rely on trickery and cunning more than pure stealth to make it convincing, or else Shun or you could just ask Ninja Yoriwaka to fetch the Emperor. The other princes will need to 'witness' the Emperor disappear, in a manner of speaking. But we'll get to that if it wins.

Kipeci

Arcane
No. No. The Codex will not take this from me for two small upgrades that treave specifically said we could fairly easily come across later.

I can't elaborate now, but BAB. The only one of those votes I truly care about is the middle A, I am not giving up the chance to raise venomous centipedes in Jing's free eye socket!

Tribute

Arbiter
I can't not vote for C for that first one, despite the fact that it might fail spectacularly (either now, or somewhere down the line should anyone else find out that the Emperor is there). It's too Jing to pass up. And really, even if we die during the attempt, "died trying to kidnap the Emperor and fool the entire country into thinking he became immortal and ascended to heaven while actually keeping him imprisoned on a deadly island ruled by a murderous psychopath" is a pretty legendary way to go out. Jing would be remembered by history as a horrible, horrible villain, but hey, it's not trying to take on an entire bandit city with six guys and being ignobly killed without anyone remembering our name. I'd be satisfied with that. I'll keep B around as a contingency vote should C somehow have no change of winning, though.

The other two votes are tougher. For the second vote, A would allow for the "keep horrible deadly animals behind jing's eyepatch" plan people have been pushing for, and B seems really useful for a lot of different things. Improving offense, improving defense, disabling enemies without killing them... hell, we could take to wrapping people up and hanging them from things Spiderman-style if Jing thinks it's amusing enough. C would probably help make sure that this plan actually works, and even more Agility is always a good thing, but it's been mentioned we can get it later.

For now I think I'll go with 2B just for the sheer versatility of things we can do using that technique, even if "secret poison animal eyeball attack" is great. Better yet, B isn't even horribly unorthodox and dishonorable the way A is, which is useful if we ever want any of the orthodox sects to respect us.

For the third vote, given our recent eye injury we may very well need that Reikan upgrade, but then again even more stealth is good (especially for what we're about to try to attempt), and we tend to pick stealthy options more often than not.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
The only one of those votes I truly care about is the middle A, I am not giving up the chance to raise venomous centipedes in Jing's free eye socket!
Yuck! Smoke bomb is a way better fit.
It would also be awkward if they poked their heads out while you are making out with someone. Qilin would not mind, though, so I if that's what your are aiming for...

And stealth upgrade for our Qinggong is rare. Not to mention the Dex one would come in handy.

treave said:
C is going to rely on trickery and cunning more than pure stealth to make it convincing
An extra bit of stealth complements the trickery nicely. After all, if traces of our presence are discovered, it will ruin the illusion.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I am not giving up the chance to raise venomous centipedes in Jing's free eye socket!
Considering the source of our neigong upgrade, wouldn't a toad be more fitting? A toad could also hurl itself out of Jing's eye socket under its own power (they do tend to be pretty good at hopping), as opposed to being plucked out and thrown.

The only thing more humiliating than the last reload would be the reload after being bitten by our own eye centipede...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom