Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Always. Why aren't there more votes for laxatives?

Oh, and treave, has Jing told Shun about what he learned from crazy nazifemme about the attack way back in the prologue? And has Shun shared any thoughts on the matter?

Esquilax

Arcane
Although I like the idea of trolling the princes (Think of the stories), I think C would mitigate some of ZJ's anger at our continual failures.

What failures? We rolled back, didn't we? So it isn't like in the other timeline where we lost the Yuchang Sword and would need something to amuse Zhang enough for him to forget about our fuck-up.

Tribute

Arbiter
We've "failed" in the sense that we have yet to complete his challenge and are doing a bunch of other crap instead, but on the plus side, most of the other crap we've been doing have resulted in new toys for him to play with.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, and while we are at it, treave, did we ask Shun if Gao Ying is with him? Might be important to know if we should kill the guy on sight or not.

Does the fact that Shun is now in control of the most of the secret police mean that we are good with them for the time being?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, and treave, has Jing told Shun about what he learned from crazy nazifemme about the attack way back in the prologue? And has Shun shared any thoughts on the matter?

Yes, and he says he'll take care of it later. It's a minor detail to him now, he's got bigger fish to fry.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh, and while we are at it, treave, did we ask Shun if Gao Ying is with him? Might be important to know if we should kill the guy on sight or not.

Like you can beat him. :lol: There's a reason the Youxia assassination mission needed Bai Jiutian along for the best outcome.

But yes, he's on Shun's side, apparently. You don't need to worry about the secret police as long as Shun succeeds in becoming Emperor, but if he fails he won't be able to hold on to that department.

Kipeci

Arcane
We can goof a little during our learning of the animal stuff, get poisoned, and then have our neigong back. The 'danger' is a benefit, especially when we're surrounded by trained poisoners and Cao'er.

Nevill

Arcane
Or turn into a toad because the talismans fail to work. Or end up with less neigong than we started with. Metagaming isn't good for your health.

Nevill

Arcane
Allright, so how do you kill the guy? Ambush him, using your stealth to remain undetected? Get in melee range despite the poison and attempt to heal yourself once you are done? Cling to the ceiling a-la Spiderman to bypass the traps while he is sleeping? What would work short of assembling a team of thugs and overwhelming him with numbers?

Nevill

Arcane
No, I am interested if it is possible to best him one-on-one.

The numbers can beat anyone, even Tudu Huolu, that much is clear.

Esquilax

Arcane
Like you can beat him. :lol: There's a reason the Youxia assassination mission needed Bai Jiutian along for the best outcome.

I thought that had more to do with the fact that we went for a dangerous mission completely on our own and with a -2 to both our STR and AGI stats. Of course we'd get picked off by the likes of Gao Ying. Nevertheless, I was under the impression that a healthy Jing could be roughly on par with Gao Ying, given his reliance on pressure points and our immunity to those techniques. Of course, Gao Ying has other tricks up his sleeve, but he's still our age and doesn't have the years and experience on us that Bai Jiutian has. I just don't see how a guy our age could be that much better than the Southern Maniac's apprentice, especially given Jing's natural talent.

Nevill

Arcane
I though that poison and godly PER (how he recognized Yunzi with a single glance) and high AGI (that hit right in the lethal pressure point on a moving target, daymn!) were his saving grace. Up close, I didn't see him that dangerous. Who did he train under?

Is besting him just a matter of surviving the poison? Or is there more to him? Or is it a spoiler that we are not supposed to know yet? :)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Although I like the idea of trolling the princes (Think of the stories), I think C would mitigate some of ZJ's anger at our continual failures.

What failures? We rolled back, didn't we? So it isn't like in the other timeline where we lost the Yuchang Sword and would need something to amuse Zhang enough for him to forget about our fuck-up.
We've arguably become progressively weaker since we started ZJ's challenge. We know that the representatives of other schools from our generation are either generally on par with our abilities, or exceed them. Most of our time has been spent recovering from our various follies.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We've arguably become progressively weaker since we started ZJ's challenge. We know that the representatives of other schools from our generation are either generally on par with our abilities, or exceed them. Most of our time has been spent recovering from our various follies.
In enduring, we grow wiser stronger troller.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Treave you haven't answered me. Could we make something of the spider silk until the tournament ? Sounds like we'll be at begginner level with it should we take it and we need a strong boost as soon as possible. While the agility/ stealth would be of great help immediately. Also how helpful would it be in a fight ? How does it compare to the boost to agility when it comes to fighting ?

Also shouldn't we ask Shun some background about Ying, who he is, how he came to be in his service, what kind of abilities and skills does he posses ?

I'm getting the feeling he isn't quite on our side.

Edit: yeah sorry haven't seen your response, so we only get to learn the basics which don't help us much in the immediate future. It'll be BCB for me

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Okay, regarding the challenge: Master Zhang has told us that we've got a year to prove that we're the best pugilist of our generation, and after the Fire Cult challenge we'll have six months remaining. However, this entire challenge depends entirely on Zhang's completely random whims; if we arrive in Maniac Island with an Emperor in tow, the man might be so insanely impressed by the deed that he might impart some new techniques and probably change the goals he set up for us initially. That being said, he'll probably change the goal to be something like "kill all the other greats, including me, with your hands tied in three years time for the Huashan summit" but it seems like there would be one hell of a reward in store for us from our Master if we somehow manage to pull off the insane task of kidnapping the Emperor and leaving him on Maniac Island. Which we won't, but on to that later.

Okay, so how will focusing entirely on improving our stealth abilities help that? If you want to keep up with our competition in terms of fighting skills, then it's best to focus on actually fighting. As for the other representatives, the only guy out there significantly better than us is BJ. Of course, over this time, you're right; Guo Fu and Yunzi could have surpassed us since we missed out on the opportunity to focus ourselves entirely on training, however I think that you're overestimating things slightly. That being said, I think it's usually smarter to overestimate competition than it is to underestimate it.

On the the choice: as fun as the 1C choice is, I just can't go with something that crazy and with that little margin for error. Yeah, it's important to plan for success, but we will fuck this up, I'm telling you. I think I should remind everybody that we came up with this while intoxicated:

“I did think you were the sort that did anything that moved. Certainly the chambermaids were full of assorted tales as proof. Are those girls that unattractive to you? I thought they were rather fetching, myself.” Shun grins as he downs another cup of wine, his lips loosened by the drink.

I've had a lot of ideas that sounded great while I was drunk too! Something tells me that a sober Shun would have told us that this was a dumb idea. Plus, we're Shun's only real friend; that, combined with the fact that he doesn't actually want to kill his father, is making him look for a way out of the dilemma he's facing. Forget about it, you can't have things a 100% perfect and there is just way too much riding on this mission to try and make it even harder than it has to be.

However, knowing that this is Codex, a lot of people will be voting for Operation Immortal, even though it's (probably) going to be a disaster. If we do go for this, we have to forget about the challenge and set our skills towards completing this mission and facing this massive obstacle in front of us. For this mission, the main things we'll need are stealth and the ability to sniff out traps somehow. With one eye, that is going to be hard - even Yoriwaka's PER boost only gets us to 7, and we have absolutely no knowledge of traps whatsoever ourselves. Not being seen by anyone doesn't mean shit if you trigger a bunch of pressure plates on your way to the Emperor's chambers and end up dying.

But that's where our animal friends come in. The Emperor's chambers are bound to be extremely well-guarded, and if we have enough skill to be able to use some animals as decoys, we can make up for our complete lack of knowledge of traps and our mediocre PER stat. I just think that there are going to be more dangers around than simply being detected by the wrong people. treave, would we be able to command animals in such a way?

BBA > CAB

SirArvedeth

Novice
So yeah, writing from the train, and I still can't be amused how much posts appeared in such short time.

Let's go with Operation Immortal. It sounds so ridiculous that it might work. Same goes for pet training - going to vote for it because it sounds simply awesome.

CAB

Might flop later depending on the arguments behind other options.

Tribute

Arbiter
As far as I'm concerned Operation Immortal is worth the risk. Either Jing will pull off something completely insane and become a legend (admittedly only one he, Shun, and Zhang Jue will know), or he'll go out stylishly (and probably go down in the history books as a worse villain than his teacher, which is an accomplishment in itself). A lot of the problem with the Youxia city ending was that Jing went down like a bitch, and it wasn't a very fitting ending.

It is true that we're going to have to a very, very good job of it to actually succeed. But hey, it's better than committing the worst act conceivable against the values we've been raised under, and Shun really does not want to have to actually kill his father. He's trying to do what's best for his country, and this is an out that lets him maintain filial piety as a proper ruler should.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Flopping to BBA.

Having thought about this maybe it,s best not to take riskiest but good choice in this matter. Jing shoul have enough charisma to troll those nobles. I think zhang is amused enough from his minamoto adventure to at laest teach us a techinique.

ScubaV

Prophet
ScubaV said:
I also agree that we seem to get a lot of opportunities to boost our stealth so I'm willing to sacrifice that for now.
They are equally as rare as the other opportunities. You won't find the spider silk technique outside of the Wudu Cult, but you won't find a Qinggong technique that emphasizes stealth anywhere else either. Same with Reikan vs Kagemi - the only source of these is Yoriwaka. If you believe you can learn Kagemi later, why don't you think the same about Reikan?

I'm not talking about specific techniques. How many chances have we had to raise our PER? Once, and this is number two. How many chances have we had to raise our stealth skill? I'm not going back to check, but I'd guess around 4-6 times. 3B certainly seems to be on a secure bandwagon to victory though, so I guess you're safe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom