Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
I still like BCA because Jing's entire job is to troll the shit out of Shun's brothers. I have faith in his abilities.

:troll:

Kipeci

Arcane
It's probably interesting to compare the political structure of the Tang court to the Byzantine Empire in that particular time period.

During this time frame the Eastern Romans should still be holding on to most of Anatolia, Greece, and small chunks of Italy, right? It would be pretty neat to make a sort of journey to the west and check out those Daqin types, though I'm afraid we have way too many ties here to attempt venturing off to the other side of the continent, even if that were an option. I do wonder what sort of techniques they'd have, though.

Speaking of which, why are we going for as many different techniques as we can get instead of improving on existing ones? We have the most powerful unarmed technique available... and it is level 2.

Some jokesters voted for dicking around with the Wudu Cult folks instead of training with the nice fire cult or the nuns, yes. We can pretend that we didn't go for that instead of actually training and desperately throw our lot in with the most common, easily gained skill out of all presented and pretend that one whole point of Qinggong and slight boost in Agility prepares us for a tournament that we've spent zero time training for, or we can make an investment in the future. Our 'most powerful unarmed technique available' kinda pales in comparison to being able to command a legion of snakes against our enemies with enough effort invested into that skill, and since that seems to be floundering, the stuff with the silk provides a reason for us to pick it up later in addition to presenting less lethal ways to solve problems with needing to bind people up and so on, as well as providing us with nifty strong and lightweight armor should we choose to go that way.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kipeci said:
Our 'most powerful unarmed technique available' kinda pales in comparison to being able to command a legion of snakes against our enemies
Why? It works well enough for Qi Liuwu, and we already have some training in it, plus the unarmed skill to compensate. Mastering it should be faster and easier than mastering a completely new technique.
Yet we are not even close to doing so, even after 2 years. Why then you are talking about 'invested effort' so casually?

Kipeci said:
we can make an investment in the future
When do you expect it to pay dividends?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why? It works good enough for Qi Luivu, and we already have some training in it, plus the unarmed skill to compensate. Mastering it should be faster than mastering a completely new technique.
Yet we are not even close to doing so, even after 2 years. Why then you are talking about 'invested effort' so easily?

Uh... because you don't know the subsequent moves in the technique, and you don't have a manual to refer to for self-training? Being the 'ultimate palm technique' and all, you're not going to get levels in it so easily. It's going to be dependent on Qi Liuwu. :lol:

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
You know what, I'm going to flop back to 1C just so we can turn CYOA Legend into glorious Umineko fanfic. Flopping from BBA to CBA. #yolotigerftw

Kipeci

Arcane
Why? It works good enough for Qi Liuwu, and we already have some training in it, plus the unarmed skill to compensate.

I'm not going to deny that getting the full set of moves there would be nice, but I personally think that leading an army of scorpions is on an entirely different level than blasting apart a wall with one's bare hands, even if both are rather badass.

Mastering it should be faster and easier than mastering a completely new technique.

Our advancement in that series of palm techniques is based entirely off of occasional contact from a king of vagrants, and then only when he owes us some favor or is particularly pleased with us. There's maybe the chance of incorporating other moves in with that series to get a better version of both (ex. Yinglang Step + Golden Snake... uh, something -> Kuanglang Step), but that involves learning other techniques in the first place and it's not guaranteed. Animal control is something that we can practice to improve, especially if we invite one to live in our eye socket all the time. We could probably also try doing it at any time we feel hungry to get some nice snake livers for our neigong.

Nevill

Arcane
The point was that we kind of have enough techniques already to become a supreme fighter if we master them all, and that is what we should be doing.

I want to see treave write a locked room. Let's see them try to kill the God Emperor with the blue truth.
"Knox 5 - No Chinaman must figure in the story" is false already. They are doomed to failure since the very beginning. :troll:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm going to flop to the perception boost. I really miss our eye :(

Edit: For treave convenience. CBA Also edited original post.

Last edited:

MystiKnight

Educated
First the Ghastly Adventures of Female Bai Jiutain and Ghost Jing, and now the Stealth-Umineko-Insert? Dammit treave, stop suggesting such ridiculously amazing ideas! It hurts much more than normal when said ideas are left in the dust for more sane options.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, the sane options are safer, and B is a pretty big troll-scheme in its own right.

Kipeci

Arcane
The point was that we kind of have enough techniques already to become a supreme fighter if we master them all, and that is what we should be doing.

I have never had any interest in maxing out the stealth options from the very start of the RP, as I don't feel this is the way of the Xu Jing I would like to read about. I'm fine with the occasional foray into stealthy stuff (and we do have a fairly respectable thing going on in that now, right there on level with our speech skill) but if we exceed that then sneaking everywhere is going to be the go-to safe option, and I'd really rather that we avoid that in favor of coming up with clever/reckless ideas, talking our way out of trouble, or punching things if all else fails. In other times I'd be willing to take the option anyway due to the neat stat boosts that could help our fighting, but you can't expect me to choose marginal advances in our offensive technique that can easily be gained elsewhere to outrank the skill that will lead to us leading armies of venomous animals.

Kipeci

Arcane
235253_v1.gif

I feel like this is relevant for the cause of 2A, or at least 2A>B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Depends on your approach. If you want to sneak around, keep everything quiet, leave only a written letter behind to explain the disappearance, probably not.

If you want to take a huge risk and troll them to their face about their dear old dad being 'promoted' to the Celestial Court, that's also an option. I should have worked in the fireworks subquest before this event. Oh well.

Anabanana

Augur
I assume that the sneakier option is also going to be less convincing?

Regarding option 2, I feel like B opens up more options to us than A, and has the advantage of being usable in a fair fight like the tournament, if we're at all interested in keeping somewhat of a decent rep with certain orthodox sects. I like that it has both non-lethal offensive and defensive utility, to complement our lethal unarmed skills.

On the other hand, snake in Jing's eye socket. Fuck. Need to think about this.

Fangshi

Arcane
Quick question treave could the treads be used to make a shield capable of stopping small, thin projectiles.

Like let's say we run into some ass that enjoys throwing lethal poison needles at people, would the weave on any armour we make be tight enough to prevent penetration or closer to cloth?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I assume that the sneakier option is also going to be less convincing?

Somewhat, yes, but there are other factors.

Quick question treave could the treads be used to make a shield capable of stopping small, thin projectiles.

Like let's say we run into some ass that enjoys throwing lethal poison needles at people, would the weave on any armour we make be tight enough to prevent penetration?

Yup, if it's weaved properly, and even a basic level initiate should be able to manage it, though the speed at which you weave might be lacking. With high enough technique, perception and agility you could even intercept the needles with the threads.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
:salute:

Well that does encourage me to stick with B for Wudu, we could have our very own bullet needle proof suit.

That would be pretty cool, I have to admit, and if we are resistant to projectiles (though the force of impact from larger projectiles would still hurt) it would force others to close with us where we could do actual damage.

It does not solve all of our problems but it is definitely a good start....

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi does make a good case.

It's a dead tie between the Qinggong upgrade, and the silksteel armor, even after the flops. Hmmm...

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, flopping to CCB. 10 stealth and acrobatics is the only way this shit will work well. We really need to get a strength upgrade one of these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom