Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, no, back to CBB, for sure this time. I missed the "opens up multiple approaches" part and having an excuse to send Jing to the Wudu more is always good. Very good wife for making political connections, and I really like her, I mean our, family.

:lol: This is like King's Bounty: every wife has a unique bonus, I don't know which one to keep!

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 said:
This is like King's Bounty: every wife has a unique bonus, I don't know which one to keep!
King's Bounty had a perfect solution to this conundrum. Maybe we should try it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even King's bounty comes with wives? Okay now I know where Dragon commander got that out of.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Knowing our luck, we'd probably marry either the toad or the zombie. Which ain't that bad actually since they had some of the best unique bonuses.

Nevill

Arcane
Knowing our luck, we'd probably marry either the toad or the zombie. Which ain't that bad actually since they had some of the best unique bonuses.
Oh, we definitely will.
You glare at her before continuing “I will spare no woman my attentions, but mark my words, there is one woman on this earth that I would not touch besides my mother, and that is this shrew over here. I would rather die than touch a single hair on this loathsome toad. How does that affect your great lord’s plans now, Vahista?”

Rex Feral

Prophet
I can already imagine the moment our first kid is born :love:

"It's hard to believe that this is your son, but it's true. You're the happy father of this boy.
The child, besides giving useful bonuses, takes his place in your heart and in your wife's equipment slot."

ScubaV

Prophet
Whoa whoa whoa. 1C is a free form choice? That won't end well. Codex being the Codex, no good plan will come of a free form choice that doesn't have at least a minor fuckup. Flopping to BBA if 1C leads to a free form choice.

Nevill

Arcane
treave, since we seem to botch free-form choices pretty badly given the chance, could you provide feedback if a certain plan would or would not work, similarly how it was done with 10000 spirits plan, outlining the major hurdles and allowing to gradually flesh it out bit by bit before its execution? I intended to ask this a bit later, but it seems that people have started panicking already.

With high enough technique, perception and agility you could even intercept the needles with the threads.
Well now I really want to see this.
I imagine it more as weaving a net to catch the projectiles.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Freeform might have worked if our character had insanely high int and perception. Such as a goat doc. And like Senya. It'd give treave more leeway when interpreting our attempts at being clever.

As is, I'd rather we avoid freeform with Jing. :M

Nevill

Arcane
In this case, Jing has Shun's intelllect and knowledge of the inner workings of the palace to fall back to. So it should not be a major problem, as far as the planning stage is concerned.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, since we seem to botch free-form choices pretty badly given the chance, could you provide feedback if a certain plan would or would not work, similarly how it was done with 10000 spirits plan, outlining the major hurdles and allowing to gradually flesh it out bit by bit before its execution? I intended to ask this a bit later, but it seems that people have started panicking already.

I'm still undecided about the format, actually.

I could do it the usual style, which is to go in with a pre-formed plan of my own and have you guys react to things as they happen. The risk is moderate - you will not enter with a plan doomed to failure, but things will mess up in a way that you have to improvise on the spot - but this will also give you the least freedom in determining how the attempt goes.

I could break it down into a list of perhaps five or more choices governing things from the people involved to whether or not you are going to use yourself as part of a show. The choices, put together, would serve as a guide to the plan, though of course the votes would be counted as a specific combination and not separately. Higher risk with messing up here, with a possibility of going in with a bad plan, but the other hand you have less restraint on your freedom of choice.

Or I could provide opportunities for gradual fine-tuning and feedback as you suggested, having it entirely free-form, though my condition would be that it requires not just Shun, but grabbing Xiahou Yu too to add to the brainstorming for something that will eventually go off without a hitch (for the most part). It reduces the possibilities for failure drastically if done this way, but if it's an enjoyable process for you guys, why not indulge in it once in a while.

Still, C is not certain to win yet. :rpgcodex:

I imagine it more as weaving a net to catch the projectiles.

Single thread to single needle, actually, like little lassos and stuff.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm for the option that involves Xiahou Yu coming up with the plan, assuming his anti-government tendencies don't screw everything up.

Have we figured out what about the government he hates, yet?

I wonder what he and Shun would think of each other.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The part where everything is going to shit because the Emperor is busy synthesizing immortality pills and not keeping his ministers in rein, allowing for corruption to flourish, for the families of loyal, honest servants to be slaughtered down to the last child and to see no justice done, and for the cultivation of wastrels that abuse innocent courtesans with impunity thanks to their powerful patrons.

Tribute

Arbiter
Ah. So everything Shun himself objects to. This is good news for their ability to get along, then.

Nevill

Arcane
Introducing Xiahou Yu to the crown prince? Yes, please!

If he is still searching for the murderers of his clan (which I think he does), that also might provide him with just enough resourses to track down the man seemingly connected to the incident. Maybe we'll finally know what was the deal with his familial sword.

Maybe we'll even get to dual wield two of the Great Swords, eventually.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dear god, no. Please don't 1C it up. It really is going to be Youxia Good Cops again.

Jing is not Senya.

We've cultivated his noncombat / trolling abilities in various ways but his INT is 7, not 10, and all of his successful uses of cunning have involved openly goading and inflaming his opponents into rash action, rather than subtle maneuvres to conceal the truth, deflect scrutiny and remain unknown. Case in point; although Man Tiger Pig could have been the latter, the way we used it means ultimately just about everyone important knew who we were.. It was still successful, but in a different way.

I have already pointed out the inherent danger of leaving the predecessor alive in any shape or form. Even fi we actually kidnapped him then killed him, it would be more risky because some people might think hei s alive. Every monarchy in history teaches you - if you can kill the old bugger, you fucking well do it, or you regret it.

Assassinating the emperor no longer Kool enough for the Kodex, you have to go for the batshit crazy idea? I mean, OK, I sympathise with that, but it really isn't a rationally good choice in any way.

Tribute

Arbiter
We've cultivated his noncombat / trolling abilities in various ways but his INT is 7, not 10
This is why Xiahou Yu is doing most of the heavy lifting coming up with the plan and telling us when the stuff we come up with is stupid/isn't going to work.

it requires not just Shun, but grabbing Xiahou Yu too to add to the brainstorming for something that will eventually go off without a hitch (for the most part). It reduces the possibilities for failure drastically if done this way, but if it's an enjoyable process for you guys, why not indulge in it once in a while.
treave is giving us the option of reducing the chance of failure massively. We can not do it if we think failing spectacularly at this plan would be more fun/more interesting, but we have our near-guaranteed success if we want it. We aren't a genius, but we know one, and he considers us his brother.

I have already pointed out the inherent danger of leaving the predecessor alive in any shape or form. Even fi we actually kidnapped him then killed him, it would be more risky because some people might think hei s alive. Every monarchy in history teaches you - if you can kill the old bugger, you fucking well do it, or you regret it.
The last time you pointed this out treave gave you a historical counterexample. From within the Tang dynasty, even.

Who the hell is going to believe the old emperor is hiding on Maniac Island anyway? There's all sorts of crazy nonsense supposedly there, but nobody's going to actually go and check. It's fucking Maniac Island.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Tigranes said:
Jing is not Senya.
Shun and Yu combined are better than Senya. If you are averse to risk, you can go with the freeform option and plan from there meticulously.

Tigranes said:
I have already pointed out the inherent danger of leaving the predecessor alive in any shape or form.
Shun does not want to kill him. That ends this line of arguments for me.
Surely Shun understands the consequences he might suffer better than anyone, but he is willing to take that risk. We allowed Cao'er the freedom to decide for herself, why can't we do the same for our prince, who is, for all intents and purposes, smarter than we are?

Besides, it makes for a story that I just can't allow myself to miss.

Tribute

Arbiter
We're not doing it just because it's cool, we're doing it to spare having to commit the ultimate crime against the celestial order and force our closest friend (who Jing would die for without a second thought) from having to commit patricide.

The fact that it also involves pulling a completely preposterous con on the whole of China that will go down in the history books is certainly a bonus, yes, but it's not the main driving reason for it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The last time you pointed this out treave gave you a historical counterexample. From within the Tang dynasty, even.

To be fair, there's another argument to be made for being thorough, again from the Tang dynasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Zhongzong_of_Tang

The Empress Wu Zetian might have been in less trouble had she arranged for her son's death the first time around.

We can't have a one-size-fits-all rule for coup d'etats, really. It's always better to examine each situation on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the culture, the political structure and the main actors in the incident.

Jester

Arbiter
but it's the main driving reason for it.
fixed

Ps taking into consideration that current Emperor had killed his brothers to get throne and is obsessed with immortality i really doubt that he will say "ok son you can have my empire".

If he will wake up he will end up as problem either way.

Tribute

Arbiter
He's comatose. If he ever wakes up he'll do so on Maniac Island, and then probably promptly be devoured by some sort of horrible island tiger if he tries something.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, for the kidnapping, I'm randomly suggesting ventriloquism, whatever passes as coffins, snake oils, a few choice pieces of poetry from what's left of The Manor, and ascension assisted by a toad demon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom