Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
Well, here is for why he wouldn't:
treave said:
If he ever had wanted to kill the Emperor, he certainly does not have that inclination now – it would be easy to leave the stretcher and let this strange person do the dirty work.
That does help somewhat.

Really the issue here is Cao'er is potentially needed in both places. We have no idea if they can handle the emperor without her (he was at death's door to begin with, and I can't imagine all this stuff going on is good for his health), and we also have no idea if Qilin is critically injured at the bottom of this pit.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, Cao'er and Qilin is our party, and the Emperor is theirs. I propose we go separate ways, starting now.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, here is for why he wouldn't:
treave said:
If he ever had wanted to kill the Emperor, he certainly does not have that inclination now – it would be easy to leave the stretcher and let this strange person do the dirty work.
That does help somewhat.

Really the issue here is Cao'er is potentially needed in both places. We have no idea if they can handle the emperor without her (he was at death's door to begin with, and I can't imagine all this stuff going on is good for his health), and we also have no idea if Qilin is critically injured at the bottom of this pit.
Doubtful, she's pretty good with qinggong and has those spiderwebs for spidermanning. If we can plunge down with Cao'er and soften her landing while still staying alive, she's definitely fine.

In all seriousness, I think Cao'er is more needed with the Emperor and police than with us. There is not much she can do against a tortured madman with inhuman neiggong and strength, even being a medic she'd be rather useless in pitch darkness since we don't have any pressure points for a quick fix. And honestly, I think a third person with limited skills in stealth and combat would just slow us down.

Tribute

Arbiter
Doubtful, she's pretty good with qinggong and has those spiderwebs for spidermanning. If we can plunge down with Cao'er and soften her landing while still staying alive, she's definitely fine.
The possibility is mostly based on the fact that she went down first, meaning she may not have seen it coming enough to take care of herself while falling.

I agree with every other point you made, though.

Tribute

Arbiter
Then we send Cao'er up to take care of the emperor, and work our way out through the tunnels with Qilin.

Esquilax

Arcane
Oh, it doesn't show because of the hair, but his ears have been cut off and the holes sealed with wax. They didn't seal the nose because then he'd die quickly. :lol:

Cao'er's hearing is quite good, on par with yours using Reikan. Kagemi will help your stealth in all aspects, yes, but whether you are able to sneak around this man is another matter.

Prepare the patients scalp
To peel away
Metal caps his ears
He'll hear not what we say

Solid steel visor
Riveted cross his eyes
Iron staples close his jaws
So no one hears his cries

The skull beneath the skin
Now your drawn and quartered
Your bones will make the x
Symbol stands for poison
And it's chained to your head
And as we fold your arms
To make the holy cross
We cross the crucifix
Religion has been lost
The skull beneath the skin

treave is a Megadeth fan, apparently.

Megadeth_-_Peace_Sells..._But_Who's_Buying-.jpg

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm willing to believe this is an authentic Chinese torture method. They did not fuck around.

Fangshi

Arcane
All things considered this is still going reasonably well, also I knew it was not a monster... I wonder if there is some way to reason with the man now that the Emperor is out of his reach? Though he is probably too far gone for that.

Zhang Jue is amazing, moving on...

For the choice I think A should do the trick. I don't particularly like the idea of Jing shielding Cao'er with his body. If we toss her up then we can focus on landing properly and if she jumps back in she can focus on landing properly. I want her with the Emperor to make sure the old man gets out of this alive and in one piece and Jing can probably handle any injuries that Quilin may have.

I think Gao will probably go through with the plan now, his moment to betray Shun has passed. I mean why not kill the Emperor while he waited before Jing could get there to stop him? He set it up in such a way that he would have to fight Jing, there is more to this then just Shun and the Emperor, I think. If we
entrust Cao'er to him "in our last act" I think he will look after her, though I will admit that I could be completely misjudging the man.

The only real advantage I see with B is that it keeps Cao'er with us but it increases the chance of us getting injured and we leave the Emperor unmonitored (what if he wakes up or his health deteriorates for example).

Esquilax

Arcane
Hmm...

“What the longwinded old fart means,” interrupts Qi, “is that everyone has their own path and we won't judge them outright without looking at the circumstances. I mean, take a look at me. I’m a beggar, but before this I was a prince. You have read about the civil war thirty years ago, right? It was before your time, but that war brought the current Emperor to power.” It is not spoken of much nowadays, as the Emperor had been keen to make his rule appear more legitimate by suppressing talk of him having seized power from his siblings by force, but you know of the war. You nod.

Lots of my brothers died back then. I was a minor prince, never in contention for the throne, but I saw enough to walk away from it all. Now, the point I’m trying to make is, in the pugilistic world we should never try to judge a book by its cover, whether we are orthodox or unorthodox. There are always factors to consider.”
This boiled over a mere three years after the Tujue had been driven off, when Emperor Gaosheng died suddenly of a mysterious illness. His designated heir, Crown Prince Li Xiude, did not survive to take the throne as he passed from a dagger in his back mere hours after receiving news of his father’s death. From Gaosheng’s twenty six surviving sons, three major factions emerged.

The Second Prince Li Wang led the largest faction, with eight brothers at his back. After the Crown Prince, he was said to be the most excellent of the princes, with both strength and smarts.

The Eleventh Prince Li Suguang, had influence over six other brothers. He was an ambitious and powerful man who had made his name in the Tujue war.

The Sixth Prince Li Zhou, led five of his brothers in vying for the throne. Though his group was the smallest, he was said to be a charismatic speaker and kind leader.

The various generals, military prefects, and martial arts sects threw their support behind each of the factions thanks to the work the various princes had done behind the scenes. This resulted in open war.

As the conflict progressed, the Imperial princes began dying from blades that they saw coming, those that they did not see coming, and those that they should have seen coming. Surprisingly, the Eleventh Prince was one of the first, dying in an ambush with two of his brothers.

In the end, however, the winner was an unexpected contender. The Twenty-Seventh Prince, Li Ming. In the midst of the conflict, he had managed to secure support from his siblings in all three factions. The rival princes had their feet swept out from under them. Li Ming was ruthless and quick in his actions. Cornering his siblings within a month from the time he made his move, he finally ended the civil war by capturing and beheading fifteen princes, including the Second and the Sixth, when they approached him to negotiate peace.

The next day, he crowned himself Emperor Taisheng.
Nearly thirty years ago, according to an old-timer, two of his friends went missing in the tunnels. Then they found a severed hand on the ground, while searching. But they never found the rest of the bodies. The old-timer says he's sure they were eaten.

According to the same old-timer, another agent disappeared about twenty years ago, but the superiors wrote him off as being AWOL and did not bother to order a search.

Around seventeen years ago they sealed off part of the tunnels because of cave-in dangers, but the old-timer claims it was actually because of the man-eater. Another old-timer agrees with him on this.

Some agents also claim they occasionally hear rattling chains in the dark while travelling through the tunnels.

I think that there's good odds on the madman being a surviving Prince.

Tribute

Arbiter
That certainly explains why the madman refers to the emperor by his original name, and why he'd be hidden away in a secret tunnel underneath the capital.

He may just not bother anyone when he doesn't see an opportunity for revenge.

RealDDc

Learned
“It once belonged to a legendary eight-headed snake monster. Sadly it slithered away before our battle reached its conclusion, but that beast gave me one of the toughest experiences of my life. I nearly died,” smiled Zhang.
Wasn't the urge present to estimate Zhangs current strength potential? Now you know, a nine-headed snake or dragon would beat him.

As for the current vote, I could care less about Quilins well-being but don't get Cao'er in danger aswell. A

ScubaV

Prophet
Credit where is it due. I did not expect this to turn out as well as it did. Voting A for this choice. Jing's risk of injuring himself is higher if he has to shield Cao'er, and she won't be able to heal him easily without pressure points. And while she seems more capable than before, she is still not a fighter and would be another person he has to worry about protecting. Plus, this way someone can be trusted to watch the Emperor and relay information to Shun and others. I have a feeling that if Gao Ying was alone, he might leave out certain details in his report.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm going to abstain from voting for this time around. I just really hope that Cao'er doesn't jump after us when A wins, that could badly injure her.

Anyway, treave , shouldn't we have the recipe for Yao's Protective Sheath in addition to the ointment, or are the two considered to be the same in that?

Baltika9

Arcane
Wasn't the urge present to estimate Zhangs current strength potential? Now you know, a nine-headed snake or dragon would beat him.
Would have beaten him...except the legendary Yamata no Orochi
yamata_no_orochi_by_ansent-d4fp5mk.jpg

ran away from Zhang Jue before the fight could be finished, leaving behind a fang. His punk ass was scared.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
I imagine Jing could tell her how important it is that the emperor makes it to the rendezvous point alive and how he's entrusting her with seeing it through as he hurls her up. Cao'er may care deeply about Jing's safety but she's also very concerned with doing what he needs her to do to the best of her ability when he's depending on her.

Nevill

Arcane
ManTigerPigWolfSpiderToad. We need to add three more animals to our bestiary to stand a chance.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, I think a man like Zhang Jue should have his own entry in the faction reputations list, with his own custom ratings from "Bored" to "Amused."

Nevill

Arcane
Nah, too small-time.
If we manage to force the Fire Cult to worship him as the new Lord of the Light, howewer...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom