Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
As cool as neiggong vampirism is, I feel like 2B is better suited for our confrontational style, what with extending our range beyond it's normal reach, allowing us to strike slippery opponents and large groups alike. Likewise, 1A sounds like a STR+AGI upgrade, our main stats that we rely on the most, and it's due time they get an upgrade.

Probably going to be a CA victory, though, because BATMAN! and VAMPIRES!

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Well, 1B is fairly useless to us. We're good at unarmed and sword fighting, now's not the time to switch over to training spear fighting. Not sure whether to go with A or C for 1. A would seem to be an unarmed boost focused on kicking techniques, and I have no idea what C would get us. Though "swooping claws" sounds like it might synergize well with our Shouwang Mad Claws techniques. Although we've usually been avoiding actually using those much, because they're not very good for not ripping people apart.

Not sure yet for choice 2 either. Both would probably give us a boost.

On a side note, stronger than Zhang Jue?!

Tribute

Arbiter
The techniques are recorded in the form of poetry… it would take you some time to understand and interpret them properly.
I knew we should have gone with training Artistic Skill when given the choice.

Anabanana

Augur
Same. But did anybody listen? Noooooo.

Originally I was going to go for 1A but the kicking part is giving me Lawnmover Legs flashbacks. The trauma... (might still flop back to A though, because agility and also we already have perfectly functional claws, we don't need another claw technique).

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm hoping that 1C is a PER technique relying on sound, which would be perfect for us if true.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
AB

That kicking techinique sounds cool and we need to learn use other body parts besides our arms in the fight.

B sounds like we will get injured again, but we have experiemce pushing our qi into others. Probably more risky than A.

Jester

Arbiter
1A - Leg tech. When i look at Jing character sheet he only have upper body techs, so at least one leg tech is good investment. Could be nice combination with Spider Ropes tech, not sure if he can use arm tech at same time. B is meh for our chara. C is solid pick to. Sound like upgrade to our highest lw tech, although not 100% sure of it. Could be some sneak attack tech to.
2B - Here is hard choice. A sound awesome, but i am afraid it have some nasty drawback. I assume that A is new neigong tech or skill up to Yuanshi Hundun so its probably quality option. B sound like upgrade or two to neigong passive skill sound like quantity option.

Kipeci

Arcane
I assume that A is new neigong tech or skill up to Yuanshi Hundun so its probably quality option. B sound like upgrade or two to neigong passive skill sound like quantity option.

If I was to make assumptions about that stuff, I'd think that pumping our neigong into the madman in an attempt to blow him up (while anime as hell) would probably negatively affect the quantity of it that we have (given that we're pumping it into a guy who's consuming it) in exchange for granting us more of an ability to use neigong outside of the immediate confines of our body (see fireballs, sword neigong, etc.), as that's what the option says. I don't think we'd suddenly gain a huge amount of neigong to conveniently compensate for us stuffing the other guy with it.

On the other hand, there's absorbing the mountain of neigong that this guy seems to have, which doesn't seem to speak of quality in particular... but it seems from our limited experience that it's easier to come across ways to expand our own neigong to the outside rather than to take other's neigong in, and I think that to suit the chaotic nature of our qi it's better to go ahead and get down with the harder concept first so that we can pick up the other while fireballing with the fire cult or something.

I really don't care about the first part of the choice so long as it's not 1B, I'll just stay with 1A because emphasizing strength and speed to max our unarmed skill has been my goal from the start.

treave : Will these only provide techniques or will there be skill boosts, two? That'd definitely influence my vote for the first part, even if you don't tell us what sort of skill boosts they would (not?) provide us with.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
My first instinct tells me to vote CA

It is possible that clever argumentation could sway me however.

Flopped: CB

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter, Guo Fu is actually extremely nimble for such a huge guy. He's not as fast as Jing, but he's probably about AGI 7. I know the general stereotype in RPG's is that you have a big, burly but slow fighter, but it's probably more helpful to think of Guo Fu as more akin to a freakishly athletic and huge American football or basketball player. The guy is fucking fast.

One and Two continue to battle Guo Fu. He is surpisingly nimble for his size, and what he can’t dodge he blocks. Since the weapons given for the tournament are blunted, he stops the swords against his bare arms without any problems.

Physically, the only advantage that we have on him is speed, but not by much.

The 2A is because we do not have a vast qi reserve (toad demon unlocked the potential for that, but we're not there yet!) and it's talking about a Yanshi Hundun-specific thing so it just feels safer, though this will probably hinder us from learning fireballs when we go off to poke around the fire cult.

I'm not so sure if it's such a great idea to try and absorb a shitload of qi from someone who has such vast reserves of the stuff. Given our mediocre END score, perhaps it could cause us injury. Releasing our qi could cause problems too, I guess, but because of our condition, I feel that it gives us a great method of qi disruption that we don't have as of yet. treave, would 2B be something similar to Yao's Yuhe Finger technique?

Anyways, I'm going to go against the grain on the technique choice and go for C. Speed and strength are great, and they are Jing's best assets as a fighter, but let's not turn our physical abilities into a crutch. Jing's greatest weakness is that he coasts on his raw talent and he doesn't devote himself to the study of technique. I believe that 1C is a great way to refine ourselves as a martial artist by understanding the intricacies of technique and using that to our advantage than always relying on our physical abilities. There's always going to be someone out there more physically gifted (we barely handled a Guo Fu without formal training) so I think that what distinguishes a real Master is his ability to use what he's got to aid his technique rather than relying on it as a crutch.

CB, could be convinced to flop.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
althrough I really wonder WTF happened for us to refuse a further Reikan level-up
Everyone was convinced that a stealth boost would be more useful than a PER boost despite us recently going down 2 PER and treave repeatedly hinting that we'd want high PER to pull off this plan.

Why everyone thought this I don't know, but here we are now.

Kipeci

Arcane
Our Inner Strengthi is now independent of our Endurance, remember? As I see it, we have to fill up that monstrous 15 neigong cap from the toad demon pearl somehow, sucking the qi out of that guy seems like a fine start.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Everyone was convinced that a stealth boost would be more useful than a PER boost. [...] Why everyone thought this I don't know, but here we are now.
High PER won't catch you any tasty rats. :P

I'm not so sure if it's such a great idea to try and absorb a shitload of qi from someone who has such vast reserves of the stuff. Given our mediocre END score, perhaps it could cause us injury.
Don't worry, you are not going to suck it all. You are thinking you can down a walking qi fortress who is stronger than your master and has fifty years of experience on you with a single trick? Dream on! The process will not have a chance to finish, most likely.

Neither A, nor B will outright kill him, but they might chase him away, or clear his thoughts. I do not think it has much to do with risk assessment, it strikes me more as a choice of character development. What would we be focusing on - absorbtion of the inner strength of others, or directing our own outwards with devastating results? If the first one makes us stronger as well, I see no reason not to go down that path for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
Better yet, suck9ng his qi will convince him we have talent and he will take us on as an apprentice.
:troll:
That would actually be awesome.

Rex Feral

Prophet
For the first choice I'd have to go with 1C. Sure strength and agility are always nice but we rarely get to improve on our technique. At least I hope it's a technique. It sounds like the bat claws might very well implement our own claw technique.

AS for the second choice...

As far as I see it there are 2 possibilities here.

1) Treave has given us a choice where we essentially choose upgrades (rather obvious for the first choice, but not the second) and we get to choose between sucking one's chi and overloading our inner strength. Like "Absorb qi" vs. "Overload". This means what we choose is not really that important for our survival in this update, it's important on the path we want our character to take.

2) This is a real dangerous choice and what we choose might have dire consequences on the next update, regarding our life/sanity/health and Qilin's.

Now I prefer to think it's the first, in which case I'd go with 2A, mostly because I'm fond of techniques that make us stronger while weakening the opponent, they are very versatile.

However if it's the second sucking his qi might be bad for our health or our sanity. The qi of a cannibal madman is not exactly what I'd like to absorb. We might get ill or we might get mad, and either possibility is rather bad considering the situation. Also since his qi reserves seem to be huge we might overload ourselves from it.

Another point about why this might be a bad idea is because we have never used this technique of absorbing qi before. While he had. He might turn this against us by forcing his qi in us until we burst or he might just close his channels. I'm not very keen on trying to use a technique we would just learn against someone who might have mastered it already.

While overloading him with our qi, although risky since it pushes us to our limits, would be something new for him, since I don't think anybody else has our disfunctional inner strength.

So I'd go with B for the second choice, since if this is a serious choice, and not a "Learn new things update", it might have consequences should we fail.

CB

Kipeci

Arcane
Going by that argument, how do you think you're going to overload a madman with a mountain of stolen qi from over the years with a bit of our relative piddly pool of neigong? I don't think it's actually a very dangerous choice, something can probably work out either way, but you have to consider something unique about Jing's qi.

It's unshackled to meridians. What does this mean?

Well, it's generally spread throughout us rather than being focused on a particular area. Note how the madman was attempting to 'open the floodgates' of our qi by poking our pressure points. Well, that won't work! We don't have them to open up our qi through those focused pathways, so he can't drain more than what was described as a slow ebb from us, and you know he doesn't have any practice in dealing with folks with no pressure points through some sort of alternate strategy.

Now, Jing is skilled with pressure points, and presumably would be fairly capable at opening up these meridians to steal from given how there's an example of how to do it being practiced on him at the moment. I'm absolutely confident that Jing can drain much more from him than he can from Jing if we're willing to absorb from him, despite his experience, due to Jing's uniquely unbound qi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom