Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, treave will this give us a stat loss? I was thinking that this wouldn't be like our perception loss since perception would be the sum of both eye plus other senses while we'd still have the same strength just with one less arm to apply it. Will this knock down the strength stat or possibly other ones?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, what you're proposing is still B1 anyway.
It is. I am just trying to assess our chances to hold up for a while.
The man lived here for 30 years. Surely we can try and wait for a month?
Gao Ying will not allow Cao'er to go back while she is with him, but she will be back. Yu, too. One of the bonuses of not having her with us is that Gao Ying can not just report up missing in action.

Wait, treave will this give us a stat loss?
Losing an arm would affect your physical stats though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You'd lose strength for certain. You have less one arm's muscles' worth. Your total strength would definitely go down, though training a couple of years should be able to compensate for that.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If all went according to plan AND Gao Ying didn't just ship her back to Emei and say we died, then why hasn't our old buddy - now the Emperor of China - organized a search party to rescue us? It's been a week. I really doubt help is going to come if we just wait.
You'd lose strength for certain. You have less one arm's muscles' worth. Your total strength would definitely go down, though training a couple of years should be able to compensate for that.
:(

Kipeci

Arcane
If I knew we could boost our strength up to par so that the stat is unaffected, I could condidently vote A2, but if not, I may need to consider flopping to B1. Goodness, this is hard. I'll think over this.

Nevill

Arcane
If all went according to plan AND Gao Ying didn't just ship her back to Emei and say we died, then why hasn't our old buddy - now the Emperor of China - organized a search party to rescue us? It's been a week. I really doubt help is going to come if we just wait.
It is a long way to Guzhou.
And do you think that sending Cao'er off to Emei would deter her?

Rex Feral

Prophet
2. You will take the plunge and jump into the stream, allowing the flow to take you where it will and hoping for the best.

I like the part about hoping for the best. When we have luck 1. Though Qilin might have better fortune and end up out of here.

I'm rather curios how fast is the flow. Could we turn back? Or is it a fast unswimmable stream ?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's fast enough that you won't be able to swim against the flow, so it is a one way trip.

It is a long way to Guzhou.
And do you think that sending Cao'er off to Emei would deter her?
Yes. Especially if he then told the guards not to let a certain crazy nun near the Emperor. ;) Anyway, I'm not saying a rescue couldn't happen, just that it doesn't look at all likely at this point.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Qilin could survive in A1, be trained by the madman, and emerge in a few months seeking to murder Jing for leaving her in rat hell. :D

Nevill

Arcane
I like the part about hoping for the best. When we have luck 1.
Well, we haven't heard of anyone coming back from this dungeon before, have we? If they disappear people here, they are quite confident that they are not coming back, and the stream is a rather obvious way out. They know about it, since there are fucking torches on the wall. They didn't grow there, they were placed by the agents. You think they never considered somebody would try the stream? It either does not lead to the surface, or is blocked by metal bars.

Our way out of here is either somebody coming back for us (Cao'er, Yu, Shun), or the same way Yang Xue used to climb to the surface.

The stream is a DEAD END.

Lambchop19 said:
Yes. Especially if he then told the guards not to let a certain crazy nun near the Emperor. ;)
Why do we need the Emperor? Cao'er has photographic memory. She can find and navidate the tunnels. Xiaoqing can, too. The Wudu Cult would ask the Emperor questions about their heir, and they have people inside the palace. If all else fails, Cao'er can go to Wudu Cult.

There are many ways for the rescue to come.

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't suppose we'd be able to study the rest of the blood poetry while we wait?
Why settle for poetry when you can learn from the author:
It sounds like he is a little too far gone to be easily reasoned with. As the old man continues muttering to himself, he wanders into the entrance passageway, half-concealed in the shadows. “But there is one way out,” he says, looking up. “I can throw you up to the bottom of the bottomless pit. Haha. Bottom of the bottomless pit. In fact I can teach you everything, young one. Everything I know. You can be my spear, my weapon to strike at the twisted world of the jianghu. All I need is an offering.”
Really, I think YX's knowledge will far outweigh it's lrice. This right here is the baddest motherfucker around that even Wang and Fanghzhang couldn't kill when working together.

Great, another one that wants to rip off our arm. And eat it this time. I'm not even going to bother considering that option.

B1 > B2

He got up there once, so there obviously is (was?) a way. Maybe he marked the path somehow - surely he didn't just blindly stumble around for all those decades only to find the path in just the right moment. One way that we know for sure is the hole we fell into. I'm assuming that we can't just climb our way out? Climbing a vertical cliff in a dark cave without gear (but with some very powerful abilities) does sound like a bad idea, but still, compared to the alternatives... And if all else fails, there is B2 - insanely risky, but still sounds like a better idea than having this guy snack on us or Qilin. Also, I am very, very butthurt about not taking the bat claws.

I like the part about hoping for the best. When we have luck 1.
Well, we haven't heard of anyone coming back from this dungeon before, have we? If they disappear people here, they are quite confident that they are not coming back, and the stream is a rather obvious way out. They know about it, since there are fucking torches on the wall. They didn't grow there, they were placed by the agents. You think they never considered somebody would try the stream? It either does not lead to the surface, or is blocked by metal bars.

Our way out of here is either somebody coming back for us (Cao'er, Yu, Shun), or the same way Yang Xue used to climb to the surface.

The stream is a DEAD END.

Lambchop19 said:
Yes. Especially if he then told the guards not to let a certain crazy nun near the Emperor. ;)
Why do we need the Emperor? Cao'er has photographic memory. She can find and navidate the tunnels. Xiaoqing can, too. The Wudu Cult would ask the Emperor questions about their heir, and they have people inside the palace. If all else fails, Cao'er can go to Wudu Cult.

There are many ways for the rescue to come.
I didn't consider these things. You have a really good point about the stream too.

Flopping to B1>B2>A1.

Baltika9

Arcane
The whole issue is that YX is on par with Zhang Jue. Even if a rescue party comes, what difference would they make. Out of all our friends, Jing is the best fighter and even he is surviving on the man's good graces. Unless they send cannon fodder to buy us time, we won't get two steps out of here before YX sets on us.

Cannon fodder is good. And maybe they could throw him some food too. Heck, if Gao Ying or Qilin's father were here, we might give this guy a run for his money.

Nevill

Arcane
The whole issue is that YX is on par with Zhang Jue. Even if a rescue party comes, what difference would they make. Out of all our friends, Jing is the best fighter and even he is surviving on the man's good graces. Unless they send cannon fodder to buy us time, we won't get two steps out of here before YX sets on us.
You are still looking at it from a fighter's perspective.
But YX is not looking for a fight with us. Why would he be fighting our friends?
If he wanted to eat us, he'd do so already. No, in a familial tradition, he is amusing himself with our struggles.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, what you're proposing is still B1 anyway.
So, how does Jing estimate his chances to hold up in B1? How bad was the food situation for a week we've been doing this?

Is making a small fishing net or a fishing rod out of Wudu silk strings too much to ask?

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
I wonder what has become of my children. I can only hope he has not gotten his hands on them. I entrusted my daughter to young Bulun, but…

Children? Wait, like two or more. And Yunzi seems to be his grandaughter? Oh fuck I hope we ain't this lunatic's son nephew grandson(finally).

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm going to flop to B1. Sorry, Baltika9, but I made it a personal goal right after we settled on Dragon Adjutant to maximize the stats responsible for saber, sword, and unarmed combat skills. Reaching where we are now in strength again would set us back years even with objectively bitchin' techniques, and given how each level of strength or any skill takes much more practice to reach the next one I think we'd be set back too far.

The stream thing is just stupid. Water flows downward, we're already in a cave. Maybe for future spelunking, but for now I want to see if we can study any of the rest of the techniques in blood.

Nevill

Arcane
Children? Wait, like two or more. And Yunzi seems to be one of them? Oh fuck I hope we ain't this lunatic's son.
Dude, the Zhang Jue theory is still strong.

I believe that even if B2 would work for us (slim chance, as all ways out should have been covered when the prison was constructed), it might not for Qilin. Jing is exceptional with his strenght, agility, endurance, qi and all. Qilin is much less so.

Esquilax

Arcane
Children? Wait, like two or more. And Yunzi seems to be one of them? Oh fuck I hope we ain't this lunatic's son.

Wat? Khan Bulun is Yunzi's father, which would mean that Yang Xue's daughter is Yunzi's mother. Remember, this was written forty years ago.

The other child of his is obviously Zhang Jue. He will come to rescue us and meet the father that left him so long ago in a tearful reunion. At that point, Master Zhang will resolve all of the childhood issues that led to him becoming so aggressive later in life and decide to settle down, start a family, and become a farmer, far away from the troubles of the jianghu.

Baltika9

Arcane
Thing is, we can break skill caps. Heretics and traitors. I am beset by heretics and traitors.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, how does Jing estimate his chances to hold up in B1? How bad was the food situation for a week we've been doing this?

Is making a small fishing net or a fishing for out of Wudu silk strings too much to ask?

You're still getting a couple of rats every day. Not as much as you'd like, but if the situation doesn't change (assuming you don't get any better at grabbing rats from the old man) you could probably survive for a few more weeks before you start needing something more nutritious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom