Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Anabanana

Augur
(now if it was a threesome I would totally vote A all the way, potential death-by-Yang Xue be damned)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm still worried about Jings health.

No protection... That girl comes around a lot...
I can't even... What is...

Dude, the girl haven't even kissed before. She blamed us for stealing her first kiss, and judging by her reaction, I have all the reason to believe her. All that talk about her being a mature lady, all her teasing about us being a virgin boy, all those innuendos and flirting were just overcompensating for her own shyness and covering her own insecurity. I wonder how can you not see that.

And yes, overcoming his emotional block and admitting that there is no shame in caring for another is such a major breakthrough in Jing's development that I can not really pass it up for anything.

Well said.:rage:
With Jing little sister? Thats low even for my standards, cant we keep that relationship pure?
Siscon confirmed. :P

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I can't tell if our horrible luck will mean that we are incredibly fertile or sterile. While situationally the fertility would make sense, overall an inability to have children is rather unlucky. :M

Also what is wrong with you people? SWOOOOOOORDS!

Nevill

Arcane
SIIIIIIILK. Because whatever you can do with swords, Bai Jiutian can do better. Let's attack him where he does not expect it.

The truth is, I just don't like her. I'm a Yunzi fan.
That is a completely separate matter from what you are writing.

Kipeci

Arcane
He can do better with swords with whatever we can do only until the point where we can match him in swords. That point's more easily reached if we start improving our sword skills rather than saying, "We'll never match it, let's not bother."

Anabanana

Augur
...what is this, why is there so many chinky names thrown about.
jesus christ,
and people complained that my RTK11 LP was hard to follow due to the chinese names.

It's an epic wuxia CYOA, RK, not too late to jump in! We're still on the first part of the story!

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Why is everything Bai Jiutian? There are other people who we are going to have to fight, and being a master of a weapon is going to help us out. The silk thing sounds like more of a parlor trick: something that is popped out when the shit hits the fan and we really need help rather than a go-to technique. Getting a higher level in our sword skill will probably help us out more in the long run. I would rather not have to rely on using the silk when we could just use our natural fighting ability to overcome our opponents.

I still don't see how slight of hand directly equals silk either. The silk thing has its own skill that gets improved just like any other. Besides, since we have a higher skill in swords, it will be harder to achieve a higher level. It is not too hard to believe that it will be easier to raise our SoH skill at other times that we would be unable to raise our sword skill.

Nevill

Arcane
He can do better with swords with whatever we can do only until the point where we can match him in swords. That point's more easily reached if we start improving our sword skills rather than saying, "We'll never match it, let's not bother."
We have half a year to defeat him.
'Eventually' does not cut it. Being eventually good with spears and swords sounds awesome in theory, but there is no way we are besting him in his own field in just 6 months. So, if you want to live long enough to see it, you'd better come up with a way to defeat him.

Silk technique that nodody expects from us sounds like a plan. With our AGI, we can make good use out of it.

Kashmir Slippers said:
Why is everything Bai Jiutian? There are other people who we are going to have to fight, and being a master of a weapon is going to help us out.
Because he is the major hurdle in our way. Because he is better that anyone else.

And we have an almost-mastery in style - it is called unarmed, and is our signature style that most of our techniques base around.

We are trying to choose a supporting style now.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm still voting to improve our Sword skills in large part because not doing so is an incredible waste of the Yuchang Sword and our own natural abilities. However, I think you guys are really underestimating the value of sleight-of-hand trickery and how it would aid in our spider silk technique.

Why is everything Bai Jiutian? There are other people who we are going to have to fight, and being a master of a weapon is going to help us out. The silk thing sounds like more of a parlor trick: something that is popped out when the shit hits the fan and we really need help rather than a go-to technique. Getting a higher level in our sword skill will probably help us out more in the long run. I would rather not have to rely on using the silk when we could just use our natural fighting ability to overcome our opponents.

Well, that's precisely the thing. I could counter that with "you shouldn't coast on your talent at all times" and God knows that Jing does a shitload of that. As for the technique itself, not every technique needs to be a brutal Shouwang Claws assault. You need to throw a few jabs to set up your knockout punches, and I regard this technique in the same way. Okay, it might not be as flashy as a bunch of high-flying kicks or as nasty as ripping out someone's tendons, but it gives us an opportunity to use some cunning and deception to catch our opponents unaware.

I still don't see how slight of hand directly equals silk either. The silk thing has its own skill that gets improved just like any other. Besides, since we have a higher skill in swords, it will be harder to achieve a higher level. It is not too hard to believe that it will be easier to raise our SoH skill at other times that we would be unable to raise our sword skill.

I'm sure treave can explain how Sleight-of-Hand relates to silk, but I imagine that it would have to do with it making a lot easier to deceive your opponent - for example, if he thinks I'm firing web from my left arm and it then shoots out of my right, then he might not have time to adjust before he gets hit.

Kipeci

Arcane
We have half a year to defeat him.
'Eventually' does not cut it. Being eventually good with spears and swords sounds awesome in theory, but there is no way we are besting him in his own field in just 6 months. So, if you want to live long enough to see it, you'd better come up with a way to defeat him.

Think more long-term for that. In all honesty, I think that all options presented will allow us to come in with some way to survive the tournament, with some being trickier than others-- but one day I'd like to wipe his smug grin off by besting him at his own game in a clear match with no trickery as the perfect kind of trolling, and the best way to do that is to work on being better at his own game.

From the very start of the game, Xu Jing has had the potential to be the very best of all the possible characters at unarmed combat, swords, and sabers. It'd be a shame if swords were relegated to the scrap heap purely because Zhang Jue happened to be better with crunching skulls with his hands than slicing heads off with swords. It's strange to recall the start of the RP, when our sword business was better than our fists and we scored Jing's first in-play kill in a sword duel to the death against a technically superior foe.

Nevill

Arcane
Think more long-term for that. In all honesty, I think that all options presented will allow us to come in with some way to survive the tournament, with some being trickier than others-- but one day I'd like to wipe his smug grin off by besting him at his own game in a clear match with no trickery as the perfect kind of trolling, and the best way to do that is to work on being better at his own game.
Well, I am thinking long-term. For us to live that long, we need to best him soon. And that is not happening with 6 in swords and two and a half techniques agaings the best pupil of the best swordsmanship school around.

And yes, there may be no tournament for us.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
God, there's so much discussion in these threads now. Forgive me if I don't read everyone's points.

C>A
We should be a batman-spiderman amalgamation

II - Better control of the silk and more slight of hand (For laxatives) sounds good to me

V>IV - As much as I would like to go sword, almost all of our techniques rely on unarmed combat. Better to approach mastery that way.

B - preserve Jing's metaphorical virginity.

Esquilax

Arcane

From the very start of the game, Xu Jing has had the potential to be the very best of all the possible characters at unarmed combat, swords, and sabers. It'd be a shame if swords were relegated to the scrap heap purely because Zhang Jue happened to be better with crunching skulls with his hands than slicing heads off with swords. It's strange to recall the start of the RP, when our sword business was better than our fists and we scored Jing's first in-play kill in a sword duel to the death against a technically superior foe.

Trickery or no trickery, if we beat his ass, he can't exactly go fucking whinge about us being unfair. Okay, if it's so unfair, then why can't you win?

To be fair, at the beginning of the LP our Sword skill was at a whopping 1 - hardly Sword Saint territory here. Now, I agree that we really can't squander our awesome Yuchang Sword and that we need to really harness our natural talent with it, but we just haven't run into all that many techniques with the Sword yet. We've got our own self-taught style, but other than that, it's not something we've really run into; it's not like we've been actively avoiding using a sword at all times.

However, I still really would rather improve our Sword skill. Sure, we may not be better than BJ as a swordsman, but we can best a lot of other people and once we learn more techniques (we only know a single technique for it, sadly) we can execute it much more proficiently, especially given that we have the Yuchang Sword. I'm sure that we can pick up more sword techniques elsewhere - perhaps Murong Yandi might be willing to share a few things?

I think we should have Jing master the kick to become more versatile.

Don't forget that the Spider Silk gives us another non-lethal option, and I don't know about you people, but I really want Jing to be bros with some Orthodox schools (mainly the Frathouse's ones). Killing everyone in our path seems a bad idea due to that. Don't give a shit about not-killing Bai Jiutian, through.

Don't worry about that Frathouse heart attack, we just need to show them our brand-new kick, ins't cool? :troll:

Baltika9

Arcane
IDon't worry about that Frathouse heart attack, we just need to show them our brand-new kick, ins't cool? :troll:
That will be the best part of it.
"Hey guys, how do you like my new technique. Sweet, innit? :troll: Me and MAster Zhang will go learn some spear techniques next year, too. :troll: Oh, did I mention the Ashina called on me to be their new Khan? :troll:"

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I have two problems with SOH, and then I will stop pestering you guys.

1. It is the "Slight-of-Hand" skill and not the Ruanhong Zhusuo skill/technique. I know that this might seem like splitting hairs, but I don't see the increase as a direct 1:1 correlation between the increase and our ability to use the silk technique. An increase in swords directly increases our fighting ability with swords. The "Sword" skill only governs our combat ability. Slight-of-hand has a lot of other components that we, frankly, never use. Almost every time we have been given an opportunity to do something sneaky or underhanded we have chosen the "walk straight up to the bad guy and be a dick to him" option. I feel like choosing the Slight-of-Hand skill is wasting a lot of potential for a skill-up. It may be a +4 to the SOH skill, but that may only correlate to a +2, or so ability to use our silk. I would much rather put our points into something that we know will pay off on a very literal level.

2. I think we are putting too many of our eggs in a basket with the silk skill. It seems too chancy and too likely a waste of resources that could be put elsewhere. I am not saying that it is completely devoid of purpose, but it seems like a hit-or-miss skill. Let us imagine that we are fighting Bai in the immediate future like some of you seem to think is impending and the best course of action. We are fighting him and getting outclassed as we are now anticipating. We use our silk skill and either 1. it works perfectly, we all pat each other on the back, and beat him when he is tied up or 2. it fails and we are no better off than we were before we used it. At least with an increase in our sword skill we would be evening the playing field. We have beaten more skilled opponents before using just our skill, making it easier to bridge the gap for us seems like a good plan. I know that I am sounding like a downer with this point, but it seems potentially catastrophic to rely heavily on trickery to beat someone. I am unwilling to rely on a skill that might fail and leave us screwed. I think we should treat the silk skill as a backup plan: something we use when everything else has failed, and not as our definitive way of beating someone.

RealDDc

Learned
Raising a skill from a basic grasp to better-than-average sounds better to me than raising a skill from better-than-average to even better.
Raising the sword skill from better-than-average to even better could happen versus any well trained sword fighter.
Not so for the unarmed, raising a skill to a level that leave most practitioners in awe would require a damn strong unarmed enemy.

I just think we get more from the stat boost if we pick SoH than we would taking swordplay.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm sure treave can explain how Sleight-of-Hand relates to silk, but I imagine that it would have to do with it making a lot easier to deceive your opponent - for example, if he thinks I'm firing web from my left arm and it then shoots out of my right, then he might not have time to adjust before he gets hit.

More of weaving complicated cat's cradle patterns. They aren't really sticky webs. Think string attacks, not Spider-Man.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, I am thinking long-term. For us to live that long, we need to best him soon. And trhat is not happening with 6 in swords and two and a half techniques agaings the best pupil of the best swordsmanship school around.

Almost everything treave gives us can work out in some way or another (though we don't always take the path that would actually allow us to do so), some paths are just more difficult. Who's to say which path is harder, but I think the sword one will work out better, myself, and I'd rather that we improve on sword skills for the future. As a note, though... we were also quite outmatched with only one skill in swords, a terrible sword and a first-step of a technique when we managed to kill the learned heir to the school of a derivative of Huashan's swordsmanship. We will be able to overcome BJ as well, but it will take effort and practice and we need to build on our techniques rather than just giving up.

Don't forget that the Spider Silk gives us another non-lethal option, and I don't know about you people, but I really want Jing to be bros with some Orthodox schools (mainly the Frathouse's ones). Killing everyone in our path seems a bad idea due to that.

We get to come up with less lethal moves if we have more skill, so that's more of an argument to increase our skill in unarmed and sword as fast as possible. It's not as if we're going to drop any use of martial arts to purely begin using silk, especially since most of the circumstances we have killed people under have been do or die situations where anything less than our best would have had us be the one to die.

Baltika9

Arcane
I have two problems with SOH, and then I will stop pestering you guys.

1. It is the "Slight-of-Hand" skill and not the Ruanhong Zhusuo skill/technique. I know that this might seem like splitting hairs, but I don't see the increase as a direct 1:1 correlation between the increase and our ability to use the silk technique. An increase in swords directly increases our fighting ability with swords. The "Sword" skill only governs our combat ability. Slight-of-hand has a lot of other components that we, frankly, never use. Almost every time we have been given an opportunity to do something sneaky or underhanded we have chosen the "walk straight up to the bad guy and be a dick to him" option. I feel like choosing the Slight-of-Hand skill is wasting a lot of potential for a skill-up. It may be a +4 to the SOH skill, but that may only correlate to a +2, or so ability to use our silk. I would much rather put our points into something that we know will pay off on a very literal level.
I don't buy this, a SoH of level 5 is perfect for us, in the context of Spider Silk and trickery combat. It will allow us to pull distractions and then use our natural speed and stealth to really befuddle the fuck out of our opponents. And lol at your "a skill with only direct combat applications is much better than a skill with both combat and non-combat applications!" reasoning, come on dude. And we didn't really pass up a lot of stealthy-tricky approaches, so I don't see your point there.
2. I think we are putting too many of our eggs in a basket with the silk skill. It seems too chancy and too likely a waste of resources that could be put elsewhere. I am not saying that it is completely devoid of purpose, but it seems like a hit-or-miss skill. Let us imagine that we are fighting Bai in the immediate future like some of you seem to think is impending and the best course of action. We are fighting him and getting outclassed as we are now anticipating. We use our silk skill and either 1. it works perfectly, we all pat each other on the back, and beat him when he is tied up or 2. it fails and we are no better off than we were before we used it. At least with an increase in our sword skill we would be evening the playing field. We have beaten more skilled opponents before using just our skill, making it easier to bridge the gap for us seems like a good plan. I know that I am sounding like a downer with this point, but it seems potentially catastrophic to rely heavily on trickery to beat someone. I am unwilling to rely on a skill that might fail and leave us screwed. I think we should treat the silk skill as a backup plan: something we use when everything else has failed, and not as our definitive way of beating someone.
I think the "too many eggs in one basket" is more accurate for the sword bonus than the SoH bonus. If you are hedging all of your bets on beating BJ at his own game with a 6 Sword skill, then that's just not going to happen. The dude/dudette spent years upon years practicing and mastering swords, one point won't make much of a difference. However, we know perfectly well that BJ is a very sheltered and unsavvy person when it comes to trickery and deceit, so pulling some slick shit to set up the ground for a devastating Unarmed assault is the key to victory.

Nevill

Arcane
All these arguments about silk being our main weapon and relying solely on it... what part about 'supporting' skill did you get wrong?

Our primary skill, the skill we defeat our opponents with, is unarmed. Had been for a while.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom