Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Esquilax

Arcane
May he get his revenge some day and find his way to Maniac Isle. Zhang is going to get the challenge he's eager for only if he is beaten, Yang will get his revenge after he overcomes Zhang, karma got the former emperor and we get to watch the most epic cutscene ever.

Wat? Yang Xue has no quarrel with Zhang, the Southern Maniac was just a kid when Yang was making a name for himself in the jianghu. Unless Yang somehow discovers that Li Ming has been hidden away on Maniac Island - which will inevitably lead to a brutal battle, because one does not simply fuck with the gardener of LORD ZHANG and live - I see no reason why he would have a confrontation with the man.

But he definitely has history with Wang and Fangzhang. I really want some answers from them about this.

On the appearance scale, Yunzi is a 8, Cao'er a 7 and Qilin a 5 or something.

Qilin is hot (no uggos in our harem) she just regularly changes her appearance with acupuncture techniques that don't work on Jing because he doesn't have any pressure points on his body.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Although Treave is it possible get their techs with our resources?

Which resources? If you're talking about the constables, no. You can't just demand they hand over their techniques in the name of the Emperor.

Bear in mind that you are more of a detective in that role. You're not even a judge, though you have the power to prosecute a case in courts. You still have to go by the laws of the Tang empire in your daily duties.

This is not the formation of some special operations squad serving only the Emperor.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm starting to come around A. Not just because of the job on offer, but because I feel like we need to be there for Shun until his throne is secure - at least the completion of the 3 months of mourning and his official coronation. I feel like there'll be a lot of work going on, and although he has other help, I definitely don't want something to fuck up with the process after we went to all this trouble. I'm also not 100% happy to leave him in the hands of Gao Ying and possibly Yu. Yu will encourage Shun's idealism too much, while Gao Ying's methods tend to be... singular.

RealDDc

Learned
...Unless Yang somehow discovers that Li Ming has been hidden away on Maniac Island - which will inevitably lead to a brutal battle...
That is what I was saying.

Qilin is hot (no uggos in our harem)...

Sorry to disappoint you.

1.Lady Ji
|
|
|
|
|
|
v
2.Cao'er/Yifang
|
v
3. Yunzi
|
|
v
4. Qilin / Huashan Twins / Bai Jiutian

Hmmm jsut realized after searching that old post, Cao'er is the 8, Yunzi the 7

Rex Feral

Prophet
I guess we should be striving for Lady Ji. Although she might be some horrible lizard demon.

ScubaV

Prophet
There are three main problems with A for me:

1) Probable time skip. We'll be cooling our jets for a month or two while this thing gets formed and doing little of use. Maybe we pick up a minor technique or something, but these are cops not great pugilists. Treave said we need great challenges to raise skills to high levels (how else do you think we got a chance to raise our unarmed just now?). The Fire Cult challenge is by far the better opportunity to push ourselves than sitting on our ass for a bit and then busting criminals. When it comes to preparing for Zhang's quest B is a clear winner.

2) Ignoring the Fire Cult. Yeah, Shun wants us around because we're such a lovable, trustworthy teddy bear. What about this foreign organization that appears to rival if not surpass the Eight Sects in strength that no one knows a damn thing about (except perhaps Yunzi)?!? Which do you think is better for the longevity of Shun's reign, taking down criminals or scouting an enigmatic foreign powerhouse?

3) Yunzi. Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. For all of treave's general beneficence, this is a lesson people seem to quickly forget. A is blowing off Yunzi, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Maybe we could make it up later, maybe not, but this instance is for sure going to have negative consequences in her eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of A. It would be hilarious to play the TROLO loose cannon cop, and we owe Shun a lot, but when it comes to long-term planning for Jing I'd much rather go B.

ScubaV

Prophet

Jester

Arbiter
Which resources?
I meant Cao high perception and intelligence and Jing high unarmed skill, will they be enough to copy some of sect heads rare/normal techs they possibly display during fight?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I meant Cao high perception and intelligence and Jing high unarmed skill, will they be enough to copy some of sect heads rare/normal techs they possibly display during fight?

Observe and analyze, perhaps. Copy, most likely not, because your inner strength flows differently from everyone else.

Esquilax

Arcane
Off-topic, but treave, what sign are Guo Fu and Xiahou Yu? Yu strikes me as a bit of a Dragon, but I don't know what sign Guo Fu would be.

Tribute

Arbiter
I was pretty sure that Cao'er is the Goat Doctor, Guo Fu is the Ox Farmer, and Yu is the Dragon Scholar. Or was it Snake Scholar?

The character types we almost went with.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I don't think A will involve a time skip at all. I highly doubt that treave would troll us with a "The next three months are entirely uneventful. you spend them sipping fine wines, reading poetry and talking politics (+1 to Drinking, Scholarly Knowledge, and Artistic Skill)" next update.

A will most assuredly involve a lot of intrigue and ass-kicking that will keep us very busy for the coming months.

We also need to think about our future for a bit. Shun is giving us a very big "in" to an organization that could help us for the rest of our lives. Sure, we can keep being a wandering ronin-type character in search of the ever-elusive Harem Ending (TM) for the rest of our lives, but being connected to the throne and having a higher up position in the constabulary will give us valuable contacts and resources that we can use in the future. There could easily be a time where we would hugely benefit from having the connections and position that are literally being given to us for free. No initiation. No proving ourselves. No rules (within reason). Think of it as the Beggar Sect but being able to bathe more frequently.

That and it will finally give us somewhere that we belong. As of right now, aside from a handful of people who like us, most groups are either cool toward us or downright hate us. The groups that we have gotten to like us are either small or have been distroyed/disbanded. We eventually need to build an established support network that we can fall back on when needed. For all that some of the sects like us, they have no obligation to do anything if we call for their help. Our friends also have the unfortunate habit of being halfway across China from us when we could use their help, so, while awesome, they are of somewhat limited help.

I don't see going to the tournament giving us nearly as much help in the long run, at least from people who I would actually want helping us.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I was pretty sure that Cao'er is the Goat Doctor, Guo Fu is the Ox Farmer, and Yu is the Dragon Scholar. Or was it Snake Scholar?

The character types we almost went with.

I think Gao Ying is the Snake Adjutant.

I remember back in the ghost manor, when I proposed we torture the agent for information then murder him or leave him for dead, that treave said we should have played Snake adjutant for that choice. One update later, Gao Ying appears for the first time.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Off-topic, but treave, what sign are Guo Fu and Xiahou Yu? Yu strikes me as a bit of a Dragon, but I don't know what sign Guo Fu would be.

Signs aren't that important for NPCs. If I had to follow the annual zodiac the ages for everyone would be out of whack.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Because each year is a different zodiac sign. And they are in some sort of order, which would lead to differences to up to 10 or 20 years between some characters.

kazgar

Arcane
C: We should be the head of Shun's Harem.

Guys we are at a crossroads here, Yu's influence is going to turn Shun even more into a goody two shoes emperor and we should be working now to turn him into a Nero so that under him we may assemble the greatest harem known to man, where our final achievement shall be the revelation of Consort Bai.

(More seriously, though, I'm not sure I like the idea of Yu advising Shun on a regular basis. I'm not sure I approve of the decision to dismantle the secret police as the first thing he does, I wonder what Gao Ying thinks - indeed Yu v. Ying could become a power struggle in the future.)

I think Gao Ming will be a decent counterpoint to Yu.

Baltika9

Arcane
Qilin is hot (no uggos in our harem)...

Sorry to disappoint you.

1.Lady Ji
|
|
|
|
|
|
v
2.Cao'er/Yifang
|
v
3. Yunzi
|
|
v
4. Qilin / Huashan Twins / Bai Jiutian

Hmmm jsut realized after searching that old post, Cao'er is the 8, Yunzi the 7
Why the Qilin hate, man? Are you all butthurt because she took Jing's relationship virginity instead of Yunzi?
Lady Ji is inhumanly beautiful, so I guess she's a 15/10, which makes Cao'er and Yifang 10-ish, Yunzi a 9 and the rest 8, easy.

treave, a thought just struck me: if we were fighting YX in almost total darkness almost perfectly with just one eye, does that mean Jing got his Reikan combat-ready?

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
B
This is the greatest martial arts tournament of our lives to date. If you don't want to participate you are in the wrong CYOA. All you magistrate voters just want to deny Treave the chance to write master level fight scenes and force him to write a police procedural with organizational meetings instead. How lame is Jing if he doesn't want to show off his new moves in the only place they really matter?

Tribute

Arbiter
Qilin is definitely super hot, if she's tied with the Huashan Twins. Don't they have a reputation as famous beauties? And Bai Jiutian's handsomeness gets mentioned over and over.

Tribute

Arbiter
This is the greatest martial arts tournament of our lives to date.
The "to date" is important.

If you don't want to participate you are in the wrong CYOA. All you magistrate voters just want to deny Treave the chance to write master level fight scenes and force him to write a police procedural with organizational meetings instead. How lame is Jing if he doesn't want to show off his new moves in the only place they really matter?
Again, we would fit an existing wuxia character archetype, and the fact that I cannot find the right term for it is maddening. Suffice it to say that the archetype is mostly glorious fight scenes, because FISTS OF JUSTICE.

Baltika9

Arcane
You didn't fight him in total darkness.
I suppose the torches had a much better shelf life back then. Fair enough, but did Jing take the opportunity to perfect Reikan for combat while sparring with YX, or do we still have a ways to go?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I am pretty sure I answered this question before. Nothing has changed since then.

Tribute

Arbiter
Oh hey, I found it. Provincial Prefect.

the example of the Chinese Provincial Prefect.

Namely the sole officer of the law in some rural backwater. Trained in the law, martial arts, and military tactics, he has the sole power according to Imperial law in arresting and detaining lawbreakers in his town.

Historically, they either trained the townsmen into being part time posse, or hired mercenaries and various Kung-Fu practicioners. Chinese Legends, however, speak of Prefects who make their arrests alone.

Most famous example in recent media would probably be Jet Li in Hero.
So yeah, we'd basically be that, but with more wandering the country. And you guys don't want to have Qilin, Cao'er, and Xiahou Yu as our posse, righting wrongs and dispensing justice? We could pick up Yunzi as well if we had enough authority (like, say, getting in on the ground floor).

Not to mention it gives us the authority to dispense Jing-brand justice and tell the Orthodox Sects to go fuck themselves if they don't like it.

And as for "you don't want treave to write awesome fights", we'd still be completing Zhang's challenge, we'd just be doing it as a Lone Sword of Justice instead of some punk who's good at barehand fighting and decent at swordplay who has a scary teacher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom