Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    No love for traps either.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No love for Cao'er, too. :(

^ Top  
  3. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    There is always love for Cao'er. She won't mind being second or third.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, well, her willingness never was a problem. But, apparently, Jing led by the 'Dex would jump into a chasm just to get away from her. Fool. There is no getting away from Cao'er. Uhihihihi.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm going to try and put out an update or something, so A II V A is still winning last I checked.

^ Top  
  6. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Hey, we weren't trying to get away from her, we were trying not to drag her down the bottomless pit to her probable death. We didn't know our fall would be followed by campfire romance and sex scenes.

That and Zhang needed his new gardener.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Pah! Excuses, everyone has them. You'd better think up how to make it up to the girl who almost lost you for the second time in two years (and barely three months after she found you again) while you were enjoying your honeymoon with her best friend.

I swear, if you keep treating her like that and behave as if nothing happened afterwards, one day you'll regret you left the comfy cave with a nice madman. 'Hell hath no fury', and all that.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    ^ Top  
  8. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    That level 8 kicking technique looks promising. Will probably be of good help in any coming confrontations.

^ Top  
  9. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    How does Jing feel about Cao'er anyway? And more importantly, is he open to polygamy?

^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    This kicking technique is incredibly badass:

Okay, so now at least we have one technique that we've mastered and that is truly dangerous. However, if I were to point out a downside, it would be that our bread-and-butter techniques - the Thunder-Breaking Kick and the Shouwang Claws - are extremely physically demanding. When we get injured again (given the sort of life that Jing leads, it's a when, not an if) we'll probably need something that isn't quite so flashy, but still effective. In the other timeline, the sort of Taiji techniques that the Wudang possessed would have fit the bill, but I suppose we'll have to find something else.

As an aside, I wonder what sort of training that Yang Xue had and who taught him. I'm certain that he was an unorthodox fighter as well, as even in his youth, he had ambitions to "rival the eight mountains", which are of course the places where the Eight Sects are located.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    The fact that we have "jump so high you're essentially flying" is enough on its own to justify taking it. With the Shouwang Claws and the kick techniques Jing is pretty much a human missile.

Or the Eight Sects themselves. They're pretty much the pillars or mountains of the jianghu in a metaphorical sense.

^ Top  
  12. so much brofist. :bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    That is one hell of an upgrade over Lawnmover Legs. :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  14. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I'm just happy we're really fucking good at preposterous wuxia leaping.

Preposterous wuxia leaps are one of the best parts of the genre.

Also given that we now have a ludicrously good Unarmed tech that ties into jumping, we should really make sure we get the Wudang qinggong at some point. Boost to AGI, general jumping/acrobatic bullshit abilities, and a boost to Unarmed while we're using it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Light After Darkness

Qilin turns her head slightly, resting on your arm. In the waning light of the fire you see that she is smiling in her sleep. You are not sure if this was the right thing to do, but you feel strangely happy for some reason. As she wraps her arms around you, snuggling closer, you realize suddenly that she had left her clothes back by the waterfall, forgotten in the heat of the moment. You will have to fetch it when she wakes up, but you do not want to disturb her right now. Turning your head in the other direction, you find yourself face to face with Xiaoqing. The green snake is curled up comfortably an inch away from your nose, sleeping just like its mistress.

Just then, you hear a faint scratching noise coming from above. Looking upwards, you see a small shadow silhouetted against the tiny circle of light high up in the distance. There is a clanging noise from that direction, and moments later a piece of a metal grate bounces off the boulder in the center of the chamber.

“Hey, wake up,” you whisper, rocking Qilin’s shoulder.

“…Mmm…do that thing with your tongue again…” comes a sleepy, strange response.

“Oh, I can’t believe- Not now, woman! We have company!” you hiss, more urgently this time.

With another shake, Qilin is fully awake, wrapping the patchwork blanket around herself as she looks around the chamber. You point upwards. Her eyes follow the line of her finger and she says, “Is it help? I think we should still be careful anyway.” You nod, agreeing with her. “You’re right. And in the worst case scenario…”

A rope drops down from above, and a gleeful cackle realizes your fears.

Yang Xue comes bounding into the chamber before you can reach the rope. “There… there is someone else coming from the bottom,” he laughs. “More people for me to see? Could it be him? Is Li Ming coming?” You throw your outer coat around Qilin, who hastily covers herself. Her snake slithers up her legs and pokes its head out from her collar. “Watch out!” you shout, warning whoever it is coming down the rope.

It is not a person that appears, however, but great bales of hay, smouldering at the ends. They catch fire as they hit the ground of the chamber. Yang Xue looks around, confused. Amongst the smoke, taking advantage of the distraction, a person slides down the rope, running towards you.

Cao’er.

The first thing she says as she comes up to you is “…you big stupid idiot!” It is the loudest you have ever heard her speak… though it is still not very loud. “No,” you shout, “you’re the idiot! Why are you here?” Pushing her head down, you vault over Cao’er, intercepting Yang Xue’s outstretched arm with your foot. Just a second slower, and he’d have taken her head off. The madman leaps back, giggling. “You learnt it. You learnt the feet just by reading! That is smart of you, young one. Very smart. Why not stay and learn more? Just give me an arm from one of those girls. Maybe a leg.”

“I’m sorry, old master, but urgent matters bid me decline your kind offer,” you respond. “Besides, I’m not too fond of staying in a burning house.” He gives you an annoyed grunt and turns his withered head towards the rope.

“Ropes snap.” He grabs the rope swiftly, planning to pull it down. Before he can do so, a dozen needles embed themselves in his hand and along his arm, flying down from above. Gao Ying appears, clinging onto the rope with one hand. “What is taking you so long?” he asks calmly. “Hurry.”

“More of Li Ming’s dogs? Don’t think for a second I will let any of you get out of here alive,” says Yang Xue suddenly, his demeanour changing. He seems to be even more wild-eyed than usual, however, and his skin is turning an ugly purple where the needles had hit him. Poison: it might weaken him, even if it doesn’t kill him. He lets go of the rope. The flames on the hay begin blowing towards him as the air in the chamber moves. As the smoke begins to obscure your vision, Cao’er stands in front of you. “…I recognized the needle hole patterns on that vest. I can lock him down even more… escape when he cannot move.” So saying, she draws out six long, thin spikes from her clothes, three in each hand. She draws her arms back to make the throw, but with a shout Yang Xue raises his hands upwards. The ground trembles, shaking Cao’er’s footing.

“We need to keep him occupied!” shouts Qilin, three throwing knives appearing in her hand. She tosses the knives at Yang Xue all at once. He swings his chains; the knives are trapped within the links and snapped with ease. You are already moving towards the mad man – darting between the bundles of hay, you leap into the air once you are in range: you will use his own technique against him.

Your foot cuts through the air, aiming for his temple while he is still distracted by Qilin’s attack. Even without eyes he realizes what you are doing. His arm is raised to block well before your attack arrives. “Using my own feet against me? Good! I will indulge you for five moves!” gloats the madman. You land your kick squarely on his forearm. Leveraging your body’s movement according to the Wuying Leipo technique, you use your position to push off from Yang Xue’s block. You circle around in the air, gracefully turning your movement into another kick launched from the other side of his body. Yang Xue dodges with a laugh, leaning back just enough that your foot scrapes the side of his chin. You hook your leg backwards, striking into his chest with the back of your heel. He does not budge, but again you push off by using his body as a stepping stone. “That is three moves!” he shouts. You do not respond: you’ll let someone else have the next move.

Gao Ying steps in behind Yang Xue, silent and deadly. He throws up both his hands, jabbing at the sides of Yang Xue’s neck, but with a roar the old man leaps into the air himself, evading the eunuch’s attack. He lands with a kick that flings dirt and rock up into the air, leaving behind a hole in the ground: you recognize it as the Earth Splitting Lightning Descent from the Wuying Leipo Kick. When Yang Xue uses it, you can really believe that it could split the earth – Gao Ying narrowly evaded the attack, saving his head from being crushed like a grape.

You leap in for another attack, but suddenly find Yang Xue’s hand in your way. He seizes your throat and picks up Gao Ying effortlessly with his other arm. Immediately, there is the ring of metal as another throwing knife comes flying at Yang Xue courtesy of Qilin. His head snaps back at the hit, and when he brings back forward he is grinning madly, having caught the blade by his teeth.

“Now!” shouts Qilin. You nod. “Got it!” You remember the moves you practiced with her. The knives she had thrown earlier were attached to spider silk, as was the one she threw just now. You had been laying down a pattern with your movements through the air earlier with your own silk: now they intertwined with hers. The both of you pull at the threads, and they spring to life, creating an elaborate web from which he should not be able to escape.

Of course, he would have no problems just breaking it… which is why you had to act fast. Gao Ying thrusts another half dozen needles into the side of Yang Xue’s face, causing the old man to shout in agony. Still he refuses to fall. “Just how much poison am I going to need?” he mutters in disbelief, before he is rewarded for his attack by being flung against the wall.

You make use of the opening to drop to your feet and gain control over the massive web. Twitching your fingers, you shift the pattern to trap Yang Xue’s limbs and neck, and you pull. Qilin too tugs at the silk on her end, further increasing the force exerted. The both of you yank at the threads with all your strength – a normal person would probably have had their head, arms and legs severed at this point, but you were facing a monster. As the silk strings constrict around Yang Xue, you brace yourself. He pulls, causing your feet to drag across the ground. Even though you were using ten times the amount of silk you would normally use, you can feel the taut threads beginning to fray and snap.

Cao’er does not need to be told what to do. She sprints forward, stabbing the thick needles through some empty holes in the vest and into Yang Xue without hesitation and with the utmost precision. With a moan, the former general sink to his knees, his wild eyes suddenly losing their light.

“Quick…” says Cao’er, breathing heavily from the excitement, “…this might not hold him for long… we need to go…” You do not need to be told that twice.

Fleeing to the top of the rope, wondering if you were going to feel Yang Xue’s spindly, bony fingers close around your ankle at any moment, you finally make it without any further incident. The moment you do, more bundles of smouldering hay are tossed into the hole. You collapse on the dirty ground. Even after making it all the way up here, it is still rather dim. Looking up, you see Li Shun and Xiahou Yu.

“Welcome back,” smiles Shun.

“What took you so long, Your Majesty?” you grin.

As it turns out, the chamber lay further beneath what had been thought to be the bottom of the so-called bottomless pit. It had been known only to the former Emperor Taisheng and a few of his trusted secret police as well as the builders… and none of them, save for the Emperor Taisheng, were alive anymore. It was only by going through a large pile of secret police records as well as his father’s private notes – one of the perks of being the new ruler – that Shun managed to discover its existence, as well as its purpose.

It seems that Emperor Taisheng had indeed forgotten about the man he imprisoned in the chamber. He recorded in his notes an account of the various punishments that he invoked upon that man in preparation for some sort of twisted Taoist immortality ritual that called for the sacrifice of a true and close friend, after the ritual was a failure he ceased to pay the prisoner any more attention.

As the search in the now collapsed tunnels were not bearing any fruit, he decided to check the chamber out to confirm his suspicions.

“I’m sorry, she jumped in before anyone could stop her,” said Shun, apologizing for Cao’er’s dramatic entry. “And after hearing the account of the encounter in the tunnels, it was my idea to use flaming hay to distract and frighten the old man,” added Yu. “I am sorry to hear it did not seem to work.”

“Don’t worry about it. I'm just glad she wasn't hurt,” you say, though Cao’er had eventually become very interested in why Qilin was wearing nothing but your tunic and some rags. You had darted into Shun’s office for a debriefing, but soon she would be coming to you with questions and demands, you are sure…

“So, how goes the Dragon Throne?” you ask, changing the subject. Shun just shrugs. “Not yet. I am recognized as the de facto Emperor, thanks to your great effort, but obligation demands I decree three months of celebration to commemorate my esteemed father’s ascension to Heaven. My own coronation will only take place after that.”

“I’m sure the people will enjoy the festivities,” you say. Xiahou Yu nods. “It will be a good chance to buy hearts and minds,” he says. "Generosity where it is needed is the mark of a good ruler."

“Ah yes,” says Shun suddenly, “before I forget. Gao Ying?”

“Yes, Your Majesty?” The ever-present eunuch bows, his head kept low in front of his liege.

“Deal with the chamber. Flood it, then collapse it, as safely as you can. I do not want anyone to ever see Yang Xue’s treatise against my father, nor for anyone else to accidentally find out that he was kept alive in secret. That would go against the scenario that we have so painstakingly made a success by tainting his legacy.”

“A very wise decision, Your Majesty. This thought process befits a man of your calibre,” smiles the eunuch smoothly as he bows again. “Your will be done. I will see to it immediately.” He turns to leave, though not before casting you an expressionless glance. After he leaves the room, you lean back in your chair and sigh. “Are you sure you can trust him, Shun?”

“I would trust him with my own life on this,” says your friend. “He will make the best decisions for my path as Emperor.”

“I agree with that opinion, Your Majesty. I think Gao Ying’s loyalty to you is built upon the path of an effective and good Emperor, and so long as you embody that path his devotion is assured,” opines Yu.

“Well, if even Advisor Xiahou says so...” you shake your head.

Xiahou Yu turns slightly red with embarrassment at your use of a title. “I’m not really an official, Brother Jing. That was just what I thought.”

Shun just laughs. “Anyway, there is something else I wanted to talk to you about, Jing,” he says with a wave of his hand. “I have disbanded the secret police.” You raise your eyebrows. “Isn’t that risky?”

“Ruling through fear and terror is not how an effective Emperor governs. My father gave the secret police too much leeway, and subsequently allowed the Grand Eunuchs to make it their plaything. Now that I have wrested control of the department, I plan to make something better out of it,” he says.

“What do you have in mind, then?”

“A new, proper constabulary, answering directly to me. They will not operate cloaked in secrecy, but as emissaries of my authority, invested with the power to investigate crimes and bring offenders to trial and judgment regardless of their stature. Royalty, eunuch, minister, commoner, beggar, slave: all will be equal before them.”

“Except you, Your Majesty,” says Yu.

“Yes, except me. Did you know, Jing, that your friend the scholar has been pressing me to allow this new department powers to investigate and censure the Emperor himself?”

“That would give the head of the department far, far too much power,” you say.

“Yes, it would,” replies Yu, “but if you want it to be truly impartial, there is no reason to exclude the Son of Heaven.”

Shun grins. “If it were any other Emperor you were talking to, you would have had your head chopped off by now, Xiahou Yu. But I do find your suggestions honest and worthy. What do you think, Jing?”

“Why are you asking me this? Didn’t you tell me to stay out of the politics?”

“Well, I need someone I can trust, someone stupidly brave enough to right a Son of Heaven when he is on the wrong path and strong enough that he wouldn't die from all the abuse.” He gives you a silly grin, causing you to flip a rude gesture at him.

“The Grand Eunuchs would never stand for me in such a position of power,” you say flatly.

“They wouldn’t,” nods Shun, “but you don’t need to be the head to keep an eye out for me.”

“Why don’t you ask Gao Ying to do it?”

“He will have other roles to play,” smiles Shun. “As usual, I will not force anything upon you. I would hope that you accept my offer… there are two more months to go till my coronation, and if you were to help me out until then, and beyond, it would be a relief.”

Two more months. As far as you know, the Fire Cult Challenge appears to be just a week away; you are not even sure you can make it to Heihu Valley in time. Still…

A. You accept the offer. You will help Shun with building up a trustworthy constabulary. This will be a good way to restore your honour and reputation within the Imperial Palace, as well as to regain your position as his right-hand man.

B. You would prefer to keep your current position… besides, you do have an appointment to keep at Heihu Valley. You decline the offer. Perhaps you may come back to it at a later time, but for now, there are other things you need to do.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  16. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Wow, what an asshole.

Christ I hope Shun turns out better than his father.

I forget what these guys are called (magistrates, or something?), but I do know they're a wuxia staple. I approve of this.

I don't know if we should personally oversee it while Zhang's planning to pop our head like a grape should we fail his challenge, though.

^ Top  
  17. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Cautiously voting for B.
    treave , did Shun ask Yu if he is interested in working for him? If not, i think he might be quite suitable for the job and as an advisor.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    treave, can Shun provide us with training opportunities and kickass techs if we stay?

^ Top  
  19. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Can we just straight-up tell Shun that we have a jiang-hu obligation we need to make it to with all speed, and then help him out with this later? He might be able to make sure we make it to Heihu Valley inside of a week.

On the Xiahou Yu front, as much as I was pushing for him to have his family's honor and prestige restored, him becoming Shun's advisor probably means he has to stop travelling with and advising Jing. Which would probably be bad.

^ Top  
  20. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    B. Palace politics would be generally fantastic stuff to do, but if we're going to join the fire cult in time to crush the orthodox pugilists/ observe things and grow stronger that way we need to make a beeline for that path.

^ Top  
  21. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    It's entirely possible Shun will understand if he knows our master is going to crush our head with his bare hands should we fail him (and no, Zhang is not a person we want Shun using his new power to "protect us" from, as we like the guy).

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    He's asking you because he trusts you more. As for whether Yu will take the job or not, you won't know, but since he suggested it in the first place, he might not be inclined to do it out of concern for his own impartiality.

Some of the people he recruits will be experienced in martial arts, you might be able to learn a thing or two from them. After the initial setup period of a few months you will be able to go out freely on missions and investigations or generally wander around looking for trouble to clean up, so you'll be able to resume picking up stuff then.

That's pretty much B, and there's no way to make it there within a week. At best you get there just in time to start. Assuming your horses don't die on you or something.

^ Top  
  23. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Are we all sold on the Fire Cult challenge being our best bet to complete Zhang's challenge?

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    So we'll basically be a government sect. Good, time to take the conutry back.

Can we request training with his elite guards and Army swordsmen?

^ Top  
  25. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I really like the sound of A, but I also really don't want to disappoint Zhang.

What to do...

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.