Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
Why would Yunzi want to be 'picked up'? We're the asshole who broke our promise to shack up with two other girls and start aimlessly wandering around the country with some police in that case, I don't see why she'd want to join our band when we'd have actively demonstrated a disinterest in even meeting her new friends and nearly everyone she knows... a distinterest that, by the way, resulted in a number of them being killed when they were ambushed. Jing's hints towards her aren't exactly subtle if we go with A.

Fangshi

Arcane
Right, in fact it would be easier to try and pick up Yunzi, participate in/watch the challenge and then come back and do the whole "Lone Sword of Justice" thing. I am not actually adverse to working for the government (though I think I would prefer a more consultant like, advisory role now that I think about it) but we have made promises we should keep, we have tasks we should be doing and there are people out west that owe us some answers and all of those things seem more important than hanging out with Shun.

Absinthe

Arcane
B

We've got places to be, promises to fulfill, and learning to do. Shun will be fine without us, and since this genius is disbanding the secret police, he's going to need more people working in the shadows.

RealDDc

Learned
Lady Ji is inhumanly beautiful, so I guess she's a 15/10, which makes Cao'er and Yifang 10-ish, Yunzi a 9 and the rest 8, easy.
The gap between Cao'er/Yifang and Yunzi is smaller than between Yunzi and the rest.
Qilin would be a 7 if Yunzi was a 9 and Cao'er 10-ish.
Why the Qilin hate, man?
I don't even dislike her that mutch, sure if it was up to me I would have dumped her at the first possible opportunity or fed her in slices to Yang Xue. But just to get her out of the way and build up a romance between Jing and Yunzi first. Yunzi is way harder to catch than Qilin, and Jing kept her always on far distance, that was even the case before we for some reason started to dump Yunzi with all the adventures and unforseen events that kept us occupied.

Are you all butthurt because she took Jing's relationship virginity instead of Yunzi?
No, well, not in that context you aim for. I just am sure that it is either Yunzi or Qilin, I'm not sure to what extend Yunzi would allow other womens next to her, thats up in the air, but Qilin first and then later Yunzi just wont happen. Jing always kept Yunzi on a bigger distance than he did with Cao'er, Qilin or even others he spend way less time with but of course not cause Jing didn't care as he used to say so many times. Yunzi would have been the right one for him, always was from the beginning but that door is closed now sadly, they would have matched perfectly.

treave spoil me please, can we still make out with Yunzi on carnal footing?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't even dislike her that mutch, sure if it was up to me I would have dumped her at the first possible opportunity or fed her in slices to Yang Xue. But just to get her out of the way and build up a romance between Jing and Yunzi first. Yunzi is way harder to catch than Qilin, and Jing kept her always on far distance, that was even the case before we for some reason started to dump Yunzi with all the adventures and unforseen events that kept us occupied.

No, well, not in that context you aim for. I just am sure that it is either Yunzi or Qilin, I'm not sure to what extend Yunzi would allow other womens next to her, thats up in the air, but Qilin first and then later Yunzi just wont happen. Jing always kept Yunzi on a bigger distance than he did with Cao'er, Qilin or even others he spend way less time with but of course not cause Jing didn't care as he used to say so many times. Yunzi would have been the right one for him, always was from the beginning but that door is closed now sadly, they would have matched perfectly.
You're kidding, right?
Beautiful girl with a bright head on her shoulders from a well-off family of martial arts badasses, who pretty much says "I love you, please let me be with you, even if just this one time" and you still...
You've got no heart, man.

Tribute

Arbiter
That betrothal when Jin was like 14 and had no idea what he was doing seems to be all that matters.

C: We should be the head of Shun's Harem.

Guys we are at a crossroads here, Yu's influence is going to turn Shun even more into a goody two shoes emperor and we should be working now to turn him into a Nero so that under him we may assemble the greatest harem known to man, where our final achievement shall be the revelation of Consort Bai.

(More seriously, though, I'm not sure I like the idea of Yu advising Shun on a regular basis. I'm not sure I approve of the decision to dismantle the secret police as the first thing he does, I wonder what Gao Ying thinks - indeed Yu v. Ying could become a power struggle in the future.)

Badass update, Yang Xue is such a fighting monster.

Yeah, Yu vs Ying seems like the making of a power-struggle, classic idealism vs pragmatism dispute. Yu aparently wants to turn Tang China into a cosntitutional monarchy, not sure if incline. Jing is actually the middle-of-the-road here.

(Wonder where Liu Chanfeng and that annoying little mysandrist brat are?)

Bros Huluzi already told us to stay away from the Court. Yang Xue is another good example of what happens to good people near the court and its intrigues. FUCK NO.

I'm going with B. Don't mind joining the Constables later on, we can work to the top in our own way. There are lots of answers and things we need to know (talk with Frathouse, talk with Yunzi, etc)

We should also suggest Shun to build a super-secret force of special pugilistic operatives loyal only to the EMPRAH, trained by Zhang Jue. I'm thinking the Pugilistic X-COM here, through perhaps with less blaster-bombings during the start of missions.

Baltika9

Arcane
We should also suggest Shun to build a super-secret force of special pugilistic operatives loyal only to the EMPRAH, trained by Zhang Jue. I'm thinking the Pugilistic X-COM here, through perhaps with less blaster-bombings during the start of missions.
That's what I thought A was, but it seems that it'll be just a Throne-sponsored law enforcement agency with a shitton of rules for us to abide by.

Shun can call us ehen he's ready to found the Imperial Special Forces, all candidates must go through Zhang Jue's Ranger School.
...that will take a while.

Esquilax

Arcane
And as for "you don't want treave to write awesome fights", we'd still be completing Zhang's challenge, we'd just be doing it as a Lone Sword of Justice instead of some punk who's good at barehand fighting and decent at swordplay who has a scary teacher.

I was against A to begin with, but this sort of trivializing of LORD ZHANG and His glorious teachings is approaching dangerously close to heresy. Zhang Jue, the Southern Maniac, Slayer of oni, is not merely scary; He is destruction personified, an unstoppable whirlwind of violence who has made one species of mythical creature extinct, and would also have succeeded in making another one extinct if the cowardly beast had not slunk away from His righteous fury.

Paid for by the Zhang Jue Appreciation Society and friends of Zhang Jue

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

I suppose it depends on the choices?

Also, regarding this whole dismantling the secret police apparatus that has been under the eunuchs' thumb for decades thing, it clearly shows the idealism and naivety of the new Emperor, who thinks a benevolent rule is all that is needed to keep his subjects in line, and the added fact that he did not appoint the eunuch Gao Ying, perhaps his best covert agent, to any position in this new, important constabulary to continue his intelligence operations, demonstrates a lack of trust that may signal a changing of the guard, particularly with the introduction of a new young talent who seems to have the Emperor's ear, and an opportunity for his foes to capitalize on this chink in his armor and set his staff at each other's throats.

Baltika9

Arcane
Shit, when you put it like that, offing the old man sounds like it was a much smarter move.

Baltika9

Arcane
Gives Shun a harder reputation, makes all these schemers fall into line or they themselves know who will visit them.

As it stands right now, Shun started off his reign with an extremely bold move, but it made him look weak for the reasons treave described. With this image of the boy-emperor, you can expect his court to make a lot of plays against him before the coronation and probably even during it. Sure, he has Gao and Yorikawa, but even they aren't omnipotent (though the old ninja certainly does come close). Our meddling seems to have placed him in a very precarious position. And this bit:
demonstrates a lack of trust that may signal a changing of the guard, particularly with the introduction of a new young talent who seems to have the Emperor's ear, and an opportunity for his foes to capitalize on this chink in his armor and set his staff at each other's throats.
Makes me think we just placed Yu on the chopping block. I guess Shun's "gifted as fuck" description will be put to the test these next three months.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thats why I'm wondering if we need to be there for him. Even if I'm not sure what exactly we could do except be his bodyguard, but that will end up like Geralt and King Foltest.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, Yu vs Ying seems like the making of a power-struggle, classic idealism vs pragmatism dispute. Yu aparently wants to turn Tang China into a cosntitutional monarchy, not sure if incline. Jing is actually the middle-of-the-road here.
Bros Huluzi already told us to stay away from the Court. Yang Xue is another good example of what happens to good people near the court and its intrigues. FUCK NO.

Unfortunately, Shun is also a good person, and he is pretty much the epicenter of court intrigues. If we want to help our buddy out, maybe we have to get involved whether we like it or not. Interesting observation about Jing having a middle-of-the-road view compared to Gao Ying and Yu, that's a great way of putting it.

Well, I don't regret Operation Immortal one bit, but from a certain perspective, it could be argued that offing the old man would have hardened Shun for the harsh reality of being an Emperor. I love Yu, but his retarded LIBRUL suggestions (holding the Emperor accountable? Are you fucking nuts?! Who are you gonna put in charge of that, one of those Grand Eunuchs? Great fucking idea.) are horrible and I don't think that Shun should implement them. This is where Jing can act as a mediating force between Gao Ying's straight-up ruthless pragmatism, and Yu's idealistic, pie-in-the-sky bullshit.

The interesting thing is that while Shun has a very strong position openly - nobody would dare publicly oppose Shun's rule after Operation Immortal - a few clever observers (i.e. the Grand Eunuchs) can take a look at his cabinet, bide their time, and wait for the cracks to appear. His hand is strong now, but sometimes when you're winning, you get careless, lose sight of things, and before you know it, you've gotten complacent and the enemy has the last laugh.

Fangshi

Arcane
I would say if there is a problem it was introducing an idealist like Yu to Shun, but even then the man wants to be Emperor. He will either learn to manage his retainers or he won't but is not really something I want Jing doing for him. If it really is a problem maybe we can get Yu to come with us and give Ying some time to do what he does so well. Honestly though this is the sort of thing Shun will just have to learn to deal with, he has different underlings that have different views of the world, it is his job to manage them and get them all moving in the same direction. He is (well will be) the Emperor after all, these are skills he has to develop since Jing can't watch his back all the time no matter what we do.

He is stepping into a large pair of shoes and he will just have to grow into the role or die at the hands of his enemies. I mean let's say we stay and ensure he takes the throne with minimal difficulties, well then there is still the threat posed by an unchecked Fire Cult, or the Eunuch compromised Orthodox Sects, or the Mongol tribes, or the bandit King, or his own family and retainers down the line or some other threat we do not even know about yet. If we make it our life's mission to protect the man from every threat then we will be stuck doing it for, well, our entire life. He is our friend and if a specific threat comes up that we can help with then I have no problem helping him but I have little interest in chasing shadows and fussing over the disagreements between Ying and Yu.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A good strategist does not let his enemies know his next move.

A great strategist likes to let his enemies know his next move.

A brilliant strategist prefers to have his enemies know his next two moves.

And so on, and so forth.

RealDDc

Learned
You're kidding, right?
Beautiful girl with a bright head on her shoulders from a well-off family of martial arts badasses, who pretty much says "I love you, please let me be with you, even if just this one time" and you still...
You've got no heart, man.
All I was saying is that Yunzi matches Jing better than Qilin. Don't know how that makes me heartless. If I could have, then I would have let Jing spent time whenever possible with Yunzi, rather than Qilin. How does that make me heartless?

Anyways....

I suppose it depends on the choices?
There is still a chance, so it is okay for me.

Baltika9

Arcane
This is where Jing can act as a mediating force between Gao Ying's straight-up ruthless pragmatism, and Yu's idealistic, pie-in-the-sky bullshit.
I suddenly got a mental image of a visibly pained Shun, in Imperial regalia, with Gao and Yu on opposite sides, arguing incessantly over the semantics of his planned reforms and the young Emperor frantically tapping his "Push to call Jing" emergency alarm.

Baltika9

Arcane
He is stepping into a large pair of shoes and he will just have to grow into the role or die at the hands of his enemies. I mean let's say we stay and ensure he takes the throne with minimal difficulties, well then there is still the threat posed by an unchecked Fire Cult, or the Eunuch compromised Orthodox Sects, or the Mongol tribes, or the bandit King, or his own family and retainers down the line or some other threat we do not even know about yet.
Well, that's exactly what the new constabulary is for. They're Shun's private police force and investigators.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Well, that's exactly what the new constabulary is for. They're Shun's private police force and investigators.

Right so he will be fine, he has the Wudu spies and ninjas guarding him and Ying and Yu and who knows what else and in a month or two he will have his brand new police force to play with.

So lets go watch some pugilists kick the crap out of each other and check in with our friends:

-We have a date to keep with Yunzi.
-Maybe Miecao will teach us a bit more swordplay and whatnot and Cao'er can visit her friends.
-A certain monk owes us an explanation about Yang.
-Jing has not seen BroFu in ages because of the rollback, he does not even know that BroFu is going to be a dad. Let's give Jing some good news instead of more worries.
-We can help Miss Song seduce BJ, maybe if he gets laid he will be just slightly less insufferable. ;)
-And so on...

Then factor in the chance to learn more about the Cult, the chance to watch our competition, and all of the other great reasons to go with B and staying in the capital to play cops and Eunuchs just is not all that appealing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom