Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yeah, if the marriage is too far in the future to make assumptions, we can start speculating about the demands Cao'er is about to make. Those should be fun.

Maybe after she is done with us we won't have to worry about the marriage at all.

^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Black Tiger Valley

On your way back to your quarters, you see Gao Ying in front of you. “I am surprised. I thought you would have accepted His Majesty’s offer,” he says. You raise your shoulders in a shrug. “Still haven’t gotten in to filling in that hole, eunuch?”

Gao Ying replies, “Soon. The engineers need to be mobilized for some reconstruction… I cannot do it with my bare hands after all. It is a good thing I have plenty of free time now that the secret police are being disbanded.”

“Ha! I know him well enough, eunuch,” you laugh. “I am not as smart as Shun or Yu, but I am not so stupid that I do not realize the stratagem of feigning foolishness while keeping your wits when I see it. It was telling when he did not offer you any position in the new constabulary.”

“His Majesty just might not trust me enough to grant me any positions of power,” demurs Gao Ying.

“And again, I said I know him well enough. A virtue of a great ruler is in how he employs men,” you reply. “First make them believe he is an idealistic fool, then let them see the cracks in his camp. How are the preparations going?”

Gao Ying smiles. “Perfectly. Of course, Grand Eunuch Li is suspicious and smart enough to see through the ploy, if there was one.”

“Which would set him up for the second ploy, hidden behind the first. Let your enemies know your next move,” you recite, recalling the treatises you once studied with Shun. You are sure Xiahou Yu knows them well too. “What would that be, the diffusion of your spies and informants in a network now free from secret police control?”

“I am not at liberty to say, Xu Jing,” says Gao Ying, still smiling.

“It doesn’t sound like it is going to be easy. I suspect that the Grand Eunuch will be starting to think two moves ahead, after that little show we put on.”

“Which merely means we will have to be three moves ahead.”

You walk past the eunuch, smiling. “Well then,” you respond, “the warrior will leave the handling of the emperor’s political foes to the scholar and the eunuch.”

“A good decision. Your fight for His Majesty’s continued success will be in other arenas,” comes Gao Ying’s reply from behind you.

“By the way,” you pause and ask, “why did you try to save me from falling?”

“Why, indeed.” He lets out a little chuckle, and begins to walk away from you. “His Majesty passed me a message before the mission began. That is all I will say. I am not yet convinced your influence on His Majesty is the wisest thing to keep around, but for now we are on the same side. Aren’t we?” His footsteps stop.

“Yes. We are,” you answer, and continue on your way without looking back.

By the fifth day, you knew you were never going to make it in time to Heihu Valley. On the seventh, still a day away from reaching the site of the challenge, you came across two panicked beggars.

The news was not good. The Fire Temple had been more powerful than the Eight Sects expected. The battle between the Lord of the Temple and the Grand Taoist had drawn in another six heads of the Eight Sects, as well as five of the deadly Amesha Spenta warriors. A cliff had been brought down by the battle, and the combatants’ fate unknown, presumed dead: the beggars were running to send out the word to everyone about the result of the challenge.

For now, the Fire Cult’s contingent was retreating as the outcome had been beyond their expectations too, and the remaining orthodox fighters have rallied together under Bai Jiutian to pursue the cultists.

The top of the hill provides you a good vantage point from which you can observe the battle going on below. The orthodox pugilists had caught up with the Fire Cultists, and the fracas had devolved into a melee soon enough. “…I think I can get a better view if we climb up there, Jing,” says Cao’er, tugging at your sleeve as she points to the highest tree on the hill top. Seeing her, you can’t help but redden slightly, remembering what she said to you back in the palace: “…I want the first time to come more naturally… so I’ll wait. It will be more… memorable. When you are ready, Jing.”

You are pretty sure Qilin had something to do with those strange words. You think the two of them are planning something, but you don't know what yet...

Without asking for permission, Cao’er leaps up and sits on your shoulders, her long legs swinging gently on either side of your face. “Come on. Climb,” she orders. “Don’t fall now,” waves Qilin, laughing as she sits under the tree, seemingly unconcerned with the battle raging below.

At the top, it seems clear that the orthodox pugilists heavily outnumber the Fire Cultists. Cao’er manages to spot several people known to you engaged in battle. You wonder if you should join in any particular fight…

A. Yunzi is fighting the Huashan Twins, and the flow of the fight appears rather even, with no side able to gain the advantage over the other for now.

B. Bai Jiutian is engaged with Vahista, and surprisingly holding his own, though the spokesperson of the Amesha Spenta appears to be gradually gaining the upper hand.

C. Guo Fu is cut off from his Wudang brothers, surrounded by more than fifty Fire Cult fighters and holding them off single-handedly. You do not know how long he can last.

D. A group of Taishan and Kunlun disciples are easily beating back some junior Fire Cult fighters – it looks like there may be some deaths involved soon.

1. You join the side of the orthodox pugilists.
    2. You join the side of the Fire Cult.
    3. You attack both sides, attempting to force them to stop their fight.

E. You stay out of it, preferring to just stand by and watch, waiting for the fights to resolve themselves and for matters to become less messy before you jump in.

When you come down from the tree, you see a surprising sight, putting your plans to join the fray on hold. “Guess who’s here?” says Qilin, turning to you.

“What are you doing here, Brother Xu?” Murong Yandi gives you a pleased smile as he greets you. “That should be my question! How have you been?” You give him the traditional salute, open hand over closed fist.

“I’m doing well, thank you. I assume you came for the challenge?” he asks.

“Yes, but it seems that we are too late.”

Murong Yandi nods sadly. “I suppose so. My master hurried for no reason.”

“You mean… the Sword Saint is here?”

Murong Yandi jerks his head over his shoulder, drawing your sight to the man standing behind him. The Sword Saint is watching the battle below, his hands folded behind him. He is younger than your master, an unkempt, rather bookish fellow with long hair left untied, falling down to his shoulders. His expression is mild and appears to be lost in daydreams, though some would call it serene. A large, black sword is strapped to his back: the legendary Zhanlu Sword.

“Master, this is the Man Tiger Pig, Xu Jing,” calls out Murong Yandi. The greatest swordsman in the world turns around, his eyes half-closed, and says, “Hm?”

“Do you remember that I told you about him? The Southern Maniac’s disciple?”

He seems to become slightly more alert at the mention of your master. “Ah, Jue’s only surviving apprentice? I have heard of you. How fares your master?” he says lazily.

“I think he should be doing well, though last I heard he had sailed for Nippon,” you say politely.

“That must be terrible,” he says with a straight face. “Well, in any case, he is not one to miss a fight. I am surprised he isn’t here yet, but he should be soon.”

You are not sure whether that prediction is a good or bad thing.

“So, Master Shangguan,” you ask, “are you planning on participating in the fight?”

“I am yet undecided,” says the Sword Saint simply. “On one hand, the Fire Cult may be dangerous to the country, but on the other hand, I am not too sure if it is the righteous thing to do, to cut them down like this. Mercy to the defeated is the prerogative of the strong, after all. What do you think I should do, Yandi?”

“You should attack both sides,” says Murong Yandi without hesitating. “With your strength, it would be possible to force them to stop fighting.”

“Sounds like a bother,” laughs the Sword Saint, before turning to you, Qilin and Cao’er. “And what do you think I should do?”

“…up to Jing…” mutters Cao’er as she looks away from the man, while Qilin just shakes her head. “I’m just along because someone would be utterly incapable without my presence,” she grins.

You have already decided on what you would do, but what do you think the Sword Saint should do?

A. You ask for him to intervene in the fight; you are interested in his strength, and he could be helpful.

B. You don’t ask for him to intervene in the fight, preferring that he stay out of the battle.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol:
    Oh man, the Sword Saint is a funny guy: "Sounds like a bother." :lol:

As the sole disciple of our Master, it is our sacred duty to go X3. However, we did come here for Yunzi, and her guys are getting overpowered. Damn, we missed out on getting closer to them two times already. Let's not do it a third time.

D2- this will win the most respect from the Cult and Yunzi is doing fine on her own right now, no need to go whiteknighting her, she's a strong and skilled girl.
    A- since we're supporting the underdogs, having as much firepower as possible is a must. Yandi was itching to get his hands on BJ, too.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I am very tempted to attack both sides, since we want to battle the orthodoxes, but we kind of want not to be proclaimed the race traitors, too. But
    we are not the Sword Saint.

If we stop the fight, it will help them, too.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    This vote will be counted in a block for both choices. Your first choice will be related to the consequences of the second choice.

The stance in the first choice only relates to that particular fight, you're not expected to fight the entire field. You aren't the Sword Saint, after all. :lol:

^ Top  
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Gut instinct says to try and stop the fighting. Whether it'd be right to do so though, I cannot say.

For harem points, A3A

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    ^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Zhang will be here soon. I guess we might want to impress him, and what option is more Zhangian than beating on everyone?

A3A sounds like a plan.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Why does it matter? We serve the one true Emperor, and it's about time the orthodox sects ate humble pie and got their noses out of Imperial business.
    Our rep in the jianghu is unorthodox for a reason, we really don't care what they think of us.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Says the person who wouldn't even be here if not for the kindness of Song Lingshu and a good opinion of a certain Abbess about him.

I guess Lingshu is the only head who is known to survive. For some reason I think it was her.

^ Top  
  10. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    B3 x > x3 x

Is there any other choice, really? We get to troll BJ, try to instill peace among the sects, beat up people, and fight beside the sword saint.

Sounds like a win to me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There is.
    Both opponents outclass us greatly. Fighting both in a fight to death at the same time is suicide.

I don't know if even the Sword Saint could help us in this case.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Where was death mentioned? We don't know our relative strength to BJ now. Besides, being the weakest fighter may result in our victory in that case, look at game theory.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He is holding his own against fucking Vahista. One of the best fighters in the Fire Cult.
    And we are still inferior to Bai - while we have improved, so did he.

They are not fooling around. Why are the orthodoxes still pursuing the cultists if they were already losing?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Yeah, because we're a good guy and they know it. And the Frathouse really doesn't care.

This right here is a battle, so we ought to think strategically. If we want to get in good with the Fire Cult and, by extension, Yunzi, we'll help them win the battle and scatter their enemies. To do that, we need to preserve their numbers.

Yunzi is doimg fine, she's not a priority.

The leader of the Amesha Spentas is taking on BJ, so freeing him up/helping him kill BJ will turn the battle decisively in the Cult's favor. May flpp to this.

Guo Fu is at a stalemate with fifty grunts, let him stay there. If we start fighting him, he can hold us pff fpr eternity.

The rank-and-file are getting overpowered right now, and I think that's where we're needed the most. If they break then the rest of the Cult will get swarmed, scattered and annihilated. Plus, I think this is the best option for +rep points with them.

^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Again, being the strongest is not necessarily an advantage in a three way battle. Especially a battle where fighters are able to determine each other's relative strengths like masters are prone to.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Smashing Axe, that's true, and I think Jing working with Vahista can overpower and kill BJ, which will be a turning point in the battle, but taking both of them on at the same time is suicide.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I half-expect Bai to drop what he is doing and go straight for you. Because it is personal.
    I don't know about Vahista, though.

Except Yunzi asked us to be here so that we could fight her one more time and decide who is strongest.
    And I don't want to get in good with the cultists. They have deprived me of a loredump with the Frathouse, they deserve to get beaten.

She is one of the reasons we dropped the imperial service to participate in the challenge.

They are a bunch of youths pursued by mooks. Their well-being is inconsequental to the outcome of the battle.

^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truel

You guys are underestimating our capabilities and it seems assuming BJ and Vash will team up against us. They're not, they're going to be weakened by fighting each other. And even if we are the weakest we can still come out on top in a three way. This isn't YOLO taking on a 100 men, it's very doable.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :hmmm:
    This is a real to the to-the-death battle, numbers count for a lot, especially when you're outnumbered. If these "inconsequential youngsters" break ranks, them being the only thing holding the Taishan and Kunlun back, the the Cult gets swarmed and the battle is lost. They need either Vahista's leadership, or ours to make it through.

Yunzi is holding on against the Flowers, she'll live so she's not a priority.

Vahista is gaining the upper hand over BJ, he'll hold.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It places us in the worst possible position against the two of the strongest remaining fighters.
    What exactly do you expect to happen? Game theory is awesome and all, but a bit of common sense should not hurt as well.

The battle is already lost. The Cult is retreating.
    If the numbers mean so much, how about relocating those 50 men who did not make an inch of progress in the battle against Guo Fu?

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Indeed. I'm down with helping Vahista take on BJ, but wedging ourselves into their fight is kinda dumb. And pointless.

^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I expect the battle to be chaotic and a true test of our martial prowess, while still mitigating the risk of a full on fight against either BJ or Vashista because they will have and will continue to expend their energy on each other. Meanwhile as we delay/survive the battle we become stronger than them thanks to our qi draining, and finally truimph.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Except our qi vampirism takes a long time to kick in and we can't suck them dry like Yang Xue. It's really pointless.

^ Top  
  24. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Depends on the goal. We want the fight to end? Take both the leaders hostage. We want to prove our martial might? There's no two better targets, and there's no better opportunity than a three way match to come out on top of a potentially stronger opponent.

And yes, our qi vampirism takes a while to kick in, and a three way duel is more likely to last long enough for us to take advantage of that.

And who says we need to drain them dry? They can be sufficiently weakened with qi drain for victory.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Baltika9, I think if you are concerned about saving the lives of the cultists, you should go D3A. The Saint will be doing the same thing across the whole battlefield.

I don't think there is much GLORY in such a choice, but at least it is a viable one.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.