Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

a cut of domestic sheep prime

*What happened here, man? This was supposed to be Full Homo, saving a bunch of dudes from another bunch of dudes and then fighting more dudes.

Someone used his

Rance said:
ranceC.png
BANKAI!
ranceF.png
GAHAHAHAAHAHA!
I mean, didn't Jing off the agent just because... oh right, it was a decrepit old man, not nubile young maidens. Totally different. Carry on. :salute:
Yep. :rance: :salute:

Voting D. It will please Zhang Jue. Heck, the sooner we kick the crap out of these guys, the sooner we can collect our "rewards" from the nubile females...

Tribute

Arbiter
I think the main risk with C is the possibility of being injured when we've got other fights to do.

Esquilax

Arcane
This DISCUSS!!! is getting fucking ridiculous. People are interpreting things to suit their own biased understanding of events and we're letting a lot of half-truths inform how we approach this. This was a problem in the previous choice, and I see this worrying trend continuing again. Let's nip that shit in the bud, right fucking now and organize things better.

We can still win a 8 on 1 formation. Jing has a LOT of experience against multiple opponent sword formations, and they have NO experience against our Wuying Leipo Kick or our Ruanhong Zhusuo. We're also better than they are.

Where did you get this from? Look, these guys aren't the chumps that we faced in the Hundred Man Battle. The Taishan might not be much compared to the likes of BJ, but they can still curbstomp any of the dickheads we faced back then. On top of that, they work well together, their entire and they are sure as fuck tougher than any of the mooks we fought on the pirate quest:

“If I’m not mistaken, they specialize in the Qixing Beitou Formation (北斗七星陣,Big Dipper Formation). I’ve not seen it in action before, but I’ve heard that it is intricate and everchanging. Taishan is also famous for the Qixing Luokong (七星落空,Seven Stars Fall Empty), a sword technique that attacks the seven main pressure points of the body with qi,” says Qilin. “I don’t have any further details; I don’t know much about them.”

The truth is that we have no experience against their formation either (we decided to examine Murong Yandi's technique that time instead), so that makes us even. There is no doubt in my mind that any one of these Taishan are leagues better than any of the mooks we fought to defend the Minamoto.

Taishan and Kunlun are really below us so we get no prestige for smacking them down and if they want to BAAAAW about getting csught by surprise on a battlefield, then they can go ahead.

Also, less risk of killing them that way and making Shagguan sad.

I'm voting D but the "no prestige" comment is off the mark. Taking on Su Liaojing and the Taishan Seven and beating them all at once is a badass deed that is probably above and beyond that of fighting a hundred no-name pugilists from schools that nobody gives a fuck about. treave can confirm whether this is the case or not, but I'm pretty sure it would garner lots of prestige.

However, the crucial distinction is whether this prestige is worth risking another serious injury over. I don't think it is. Our overall goal in all of this is to be recognized as the greatest pugilist of our generation, and by my estimation, I think that the only way to go about this is by defeating Bai Jiutian. Now, a huge victory here raises our stock, certainly (and it might even improve our skills), but I don't think that it will make Xu Jing as highly regarded a martial artist as Bai Jiutian. That right there is the downfall of C, in my opinion.

Even if we win, it seems like a Pyrrhic victory. I found it acceptable among the Minamoto because it really established our "bad motherfucker" credentials, gave us Reikan, and it was done at the beginning of Zhang's mission, where we had much more time to recover and more room for error. As of now, we have six months, so we had better fucking make the most of it.

Now, a fair fight would have been winnable... if we had decided to get some experience against the Taishan back at the tournament:

Murong Yandi seems to be in a bad mood as he comes to your side. “Could you let me take them all down, Man Tiger Pig? The two of them were saying some rather rude things to me just now.”
A. Insist to go at it alone. You survived the nuns’ six-man formation, a crippled four-man formation shouldn’t be any problem for you, especially since none of the other disciples seem to match you in speed and strength. Beating four of them by yourself would be good bragging rights.

B. Let Murong Yandi handle the formation alone. He seems confident, and this could be a chance to see what he can really do. You might meet him in the elimination stages, and if he wants to show off you can benefit from seeing his techniques.

C. Offer to team up with Murong Yandi for the fight. The formation might be more than either of you are expecting, since none of you have actually experienced it before, and it would be safer this way.

Here, we went with B. If we fought the Taishan earlier, we could have maybe taken advantage of that experience, but instead we're kinda going in blind. So we have to take them out by surprise, let them bitch about it later.

Anyway, with regards to Taishan (and the other sects) you would have to defeat them at their best for them to acknowledge defeat. That would mean taking on the full seven-man formation by yourself since that's what they are known for. Of course, it's a start if you dismantle their four-man formation solo in full view of everyone else. Even if they don't admit defeat yet, you'll begin to sway public opinion towards you being better.

Nevill dug up an interesting quote here Regarding this, as far as my interpretation of it goes, even if D would have a lot of people regarding us as a dirty fighter, taking out the remaining Taishan disciples once they've regrouped and Su Liaojing at the same time is still a big deal. That'll sway public opinion too, though obviously not to the extent that taking them all on at once would.

If we defeat these eight right here, not only do we prove we're one of the strongest of our generation, but we also preserve rep with their sects, and since we're interested in what they've got, we may as well do it. I think that's worth the risk. And as I said, Jing has had a lot of practice against sword formations. They have no practice against our new techs.

Our goal isn't to be "one of the strongest", it's to be the strongest, baddest motherfucker in the jianghu, for LORD ZHANG would accept no less. This is a big risk for little gain, because our entire goal is to be the undisputed #1, and this is a fight that doesn't get us there.

Last edited:

Random thought: treave what would have happened had we chosen to dive into the rift river back when we were trapped in the cave?
Ah, ok.

edit: Zhang doesn't care about fighting dirty. He cares about winning and killing shit. That's why he's Zhang (read: unorthodox as fuck). Heck, all his techniques seem to revolve around over the top, heavy handed shit that would never be considered "honorabru" by the majority of the orthodox community.

In short: Everything Esquilax said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Random thought: treave what would have happened had we chosen to dive into the rift river back when we were trapped in the cave?

We would have washed away in a cave complex and after about a year we would have found a way out together with Qilin and possibly a baby. I asked him, back then.

Absinthe

Arcane
ranceF.png
GAHAHAHAAHAHA!
Yep. :rance: :salute:

Voting D. It will please Zhang Jue. Heck, the sooner we kick the crap out of these guys, the sooner we can collect our "rewards" from the nubile females...
C will please him even more though, and it earns much better rep. Treave has already explicitly stated that there is no real difference between C or D in terms of time.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This.

edit: Zhang doesn't care about fighting dirty. He cares about winning and killing shit. That's why he's Zhang (read: unorthodox as fuck).
The question is not about Zhang's preferences, but about what his challenge requires us to do. Do we need public acceptance, or can we just kick ass and let them talk what they want?

Baltika9

Arcane
The latter. If all the asses are kicked and we're the last one standing, let the baaaw.

Pretty sure treave mentioned that we could always sway public opinion that we're stronger even if we don't "fight fair" to win. Actually, I reall don't see what's unfair about not standing there like a lummox while your enemy gets into their best formation. Basically: "Welcome to life outside the dojo, fuckheads."

Tribute

Arbiter
Amusing that we do all of our "beat up entire crowds of opponents like an unstoppable badass" feats in defense of foreign devils. First with the Minamoto pirates, now with a bunch of Persian cultists.

Actually, I reall don't see what's unfair about not standing there like a lummox while your enemy gets into their best formation. Basically: "Welcome to life outside the dojo, fuckheads."
This is a very good point. Jing's speed is one of his strong points, I don't see why he should have to throw away his speed and initiative advantage for it to be "fair". In order for anyone to beat him in a fair fight they should have a way of countering the part where he'll be in your face before you know what's happening.

If they can't form their formation quick enough, that's a flaw in the technique, and it's not as unstoppable as they think it is.

Rex Feral

Prophet
What do we owe to these guys? Absolutely nothing.

Honor would be wasted on people that attack and would murder defenseless maidens that are on the run. Out of all the cultists they pick the weakest to attack, when they could have helped Bai Jiutan, or Guo Fu. Really, poor Guo Fu is fighting single handedly 50 guys and these hipocrites swarm on girls.

I say we should risk nothing, not even a single scratch to ourselves, in order to make the fight more "fair" for these lowlifes.

Nevill

Arcane
You might want to tune down that righteousness a bit. The assholes that attacked the girls lie on the ground. These are different guys that came here because we attacked their people. I am pretty sure Wudang disciples could be there in their place if they were around.

Absinthe

Arcane
Where did you get this from? Look, these guys aren't the chumps that we faced in the Hundred Man Battle. The Taishan might not be much compared to the likes of BJ, but they can still curbstomp any of the dickheads we faced back then. On top of that, they work well together, their entire and they are sure as fuck tougher than any of the mooks we fought on the pirate quest:

The truth is that we have no experience against their formation either (we decided to examine Murong Yandi's technique that time instead), so that makes us even. There is no doubt in my mind that any one of these Taishan are leagues better than any of the mooks we fought to defend the Minamoto.
Yeah, you're thinking of the wrong thing. Here's what you're forgetting: throughout Jing's training with the Southern Maniac, he had a ridiculous amount of matches against Emei's "castration squad" with their Guihe formation. It's not the same formation, to be sure, but these are also highly skilled opponents using a specialized sword formation. This is what I mean when I say, "Jing has a LOT of experience."

However, the crucial distinction is whether this prestige is worth risking another serious injury over. I don't think it is. Our overall goal in all of this is to be recognized as the greatest pugilist of our generation, and by my estimation, I think that the only way to go about this is by defeating Bai Jiutian. Now, a huge victory here raises our stock, certainly (and it might even improve our skills), but I don't think that it will make Xu Jing as highly regarded a martial artist as Bai Jiutian. That right there is the downfall of C, in my opinion.
We can take on Bai Jiutian later. We already passed on the opportunity to do it now, and treave told us not to worry about the future battles here because he may or may not decide to rush through it since we're still stuck in chapter 1. Our best opportunity right now is C. It boosts our rep a shitload and we can get better from it.

Nevill dug up an interesting quote here Regarding this, as far as my interpretation of it goes, even if D would have a lot of people regarding us as a dirty fighter, taking out the remaining Taishan disciples once they've regrouped and Su Liaojing at the same time is still a big deal. That'll sway public opinion too, though obviously not to the extent that taking them all on at once would.
We already have a reputation as a dirty fighter. This would certainly magnify it. We want people to admit we are one of the strongest fuckers around, not that we are one of the best at ambushing your ass off-guard.

Our goal isn't to be "one of the strongest", it's to be the strongest, baddest motherfucker in the jianghu, for LORD ZHANG would accept no less. This is a big risk for little gain, because our entire goal is to be the undisputed #1, and this is a fight that doesn't get us there.
Then stop your pussy-footing and vote C. Right now this is the best opportunity we have.

Esquilax

Arcane
Pretty sure treave mentioned that we could always sway public opinion that we're stronger even if we don't "fight fair" to win. Actually, I reall don't see what's unfair about not standing there like a lummox while your enemy gets into their best formation. Basically: "Welcome to life outside the dojo, fuckheads."

Yep. If all seven of them and Su Liaojing can't get their shit together and beat Xu Jing even if he lands a cheap shot at the start of the fight, then they obviously aren't in his league. I honestly don't understand this orthodox sectarian logic - we're dirty for hitting them before they're ready, but they're not dirty for going 8-on-1.

Of course, I guess this sort of perception comes with the territory of being unorthodox. Generally, no matter what you do, it's going to be cast in the worst possible light.

Yep. If all seven of them and Su Liaojing can't get their shit together and beat Xu Jing even if he lands a cheap shot at the start of the fight, then they obviously aren't in his league. I honestly don't understand this orthodox sectarian logic - we're dirty for hitting them before they're ready, but they're not dirty for going 8-on-1.

Of course, I guess this sort of perception comes with the territory of being unorthodox. Generally, no matter what you do, it's going to be cast in the worst possible light.
Bingo. Even if we fight fair, they could still say we must have cheated or used an illegal technique to win. This isn't a tournament where there are judges to confirm our victory. We might as well just kick the crap out of them and let their bruises be the proof of our victory.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
I honestly don't understand this orthodox sectarian logic - we're dirty for hitting them before they're ready, but they're not dirty for going 8-on-1.
It is not dirty if it is declared openly.

treave said:
Tulu Huodu has, amongst many other martial arts techniques, a powerful neigong which allows him to deliver very potent poisonous blows via his qi, which is legitimate since he has to land the strike in the first place and since everyone knows that he has such a trick up his sleeve.

So if you attack without warning, this is a cheap shot, but if you warn the opponent about what you are going to do, it is fair. The logic is not that outlandish, really.

Rex Feral

Prophet
You might want to tune down that righteousness a bit. The assholes that attacked the girls lie on the ground. These are different guys that came here because we attacked their people. I am pretty sure Wudang disciples could be there in their place if they were around.

Why are they even around? Why are they talking to us instead of being useful elsewhere. People are dying and not just the cultists. Guo Fu is being overwhelmed by half the Fire Cult's forces and they just stand here idly talking to us, watching their seniors attack girls, basically derping around.

And they could have left us alone seeing we only protected some girls from those murderous brutes, and continue fighting the good fight with more dangerous cultist, but no they come to us, ask us to explain ourselves, challenge us to a duel in the middle of a motherfucking battle, and if they defeat us I bet the first thing they do is chop some maiden heads, since they look so dangerous and deceitful. Meanwhile other pugilists and Guo Fu are being trampled to death by a stampede of cultsist seeking to escape.

Their actions show a lack of consideration and respect both for their enemies and for their allies.

Nevill

Arcane
Rex Feral said:
Why are they even around? Why are they talking to us instead of being useful elsewhere.
How about 'because we attacked' and 'because we allied with the Fire Cult'?
We are not a helpless girl, we are dangerous, so don't give them shit for trying to put us down when we just put down one tenth of their fighters.

Rex Feral said:
And they could have left us alone seeing we only protected some girls from those murderous brutes, and continue fighting the good fight with more dangerous cultist
:notsureifserious:
We ARE 'the more dangerous cultist' around these parts. If you haven't noticed, they are not attacking the girls.

they come to us, ask us to explain ourselves
And all we gave them is a 'fuck off, I did it for lulz'.
Then you are wondering why they are fighting us. You can't be serious.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, you're thinking of the wrong thing. Here's what you're forgetting: throughout Jing's training with the Southern Maniac, he had a ridiculous amount of matches against Emei's "castration squad" with their Guihe formation. It's not the same formation, to be sure, but these are also highly skilled opponents using a specialized sword formation. This is what I mean when I say, "Jing has a LOT of experience."

That's a bit like saying that since Jing had a lot of experience fighting unarmed fighters of one style, it's going to transfer over to unarmed fighters of a completely different style. I mean, I guess to a certain extent, but this is a completely new technique and we know as little about their style of martial arts as they do about ours, so we're not really at an advantage there.

We already have a reputation as a dirty fighter. This would certainly magnify it. We want people to admit we are one of the strongest fuckers around, not that we are one of the best at ambushing your ass off-guard.

There's some legitimacy to that, sure. However, our reputation isn't "dirty" in the sense that we play nasty tricks to defeat much better pugilists than us so much as it is that we just have a powerful, brutal fighting style. The distinction is that while we have a whole bunch of dangerous and lethal techniques, there's no doubt that Xu Jing can really fuck you up in a straight-up fight.

Although, of course there's no doubt that surprising them in D wouldn't give us the boost in prestige that C would - should we win. The crux of it for me is that C isn't worth the risk even if we do end up winning.

Then stop your pussy-footing and vote C. Right now this is the best opportunity we have.

But that's my point; it isn't the best opportunity we have and it isn't enough. Even if we beat both the Taishan Seven and Su Liaojing fair-and-square, that still doesn't put us over the top and establish us as the clear #1 pugilist of our generation. As Ric Flair said, "to be the man, you gotta beat the man." And right now, Bai Jiutian is the beautiful woman who is posing as a man.

Even if we fight fair, they could still say we must have cheated or used an illegal technique to win. This isn't a tournament where there are judges to confirm our victory. We might as well just kick the crap out of them and let their bruises be the proof of our victory.

Well, we are on a battlefield, so I doubt there are any "illegal techniques" in that situation. If we beat both the Taishan Seven and Su Liaojing and they claim that we cheated after the fact, they'd just end up looking like a bunch of butthurt losers.

ScubaV

Prophet
D

I think D has a comfortable lead if treave wants to put an end to this particular segment of DISCUSS! ;)

Absinthe

Arcane
That's a bit like saying that since Jing had a lot of experience fighting unarmed fighters of one style, it's going to transfer over to unarmed fighters of a completely different style. I mean, I guess to a certain extent, but this is a completely new technique and we know as little about their style of martial arts as they do about ours, so we're not really at an advantage there.
It still helps a lot. It means Jing has the awareness to face multiple foes at once and an understanding that enables him to see moves not just as a single fighter's attacks but as a joint effort to enable an ally's motions. So if Taishan 1 is setting up Taishan 5, then just by watching Taishan 1's moves, Jing can already guess what Taishan 5 is going to try because of this extensive experience.

But that's my point; it isn't the best opportunity we have and it isn't enough. Even if we beat both the Taishan Seven and Su Liaojing fair-and-square, that still doesn't put us over the top and establish us as the clear #1 pugilist of our generation. As Ric Flair said, "to be the man, you gotta beat the man." And right now, Bai Jiutian is the man.
No, right now, Vahista is. B3 didn't win though. Treave already said "don't think of future battles when planning this" so I'm going to go with that. If you're holding out for a BJ fight after D, I'm not sure we'll have that opportunity, and treave is definitely saying "don't count on it." Plus, while none of them are Bai Jiutian, all of them combined are probably considered a match for Bai Jiutian at the very least, so this is also going to give us some serious rep.

I like C because it establishes us as a giant badass motherfucker, and we really don't need to be on any more shitlists than we already are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom