Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
We already have all the rep we need to challenge BJ, though.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Rex Feral said:
Why are they even around? Why are they talking to us instead of being useful elsewhere.
How about 'because we attacked' and 'because we allied with the Fire Cult'?
We are not a helpless girl, we are dangerous, so don't give them shit for trying to put us down when we just put down one tenth of their fighters.

Rex Feral said:
And they could have left us alone seeing we only protected some girls from those murderous brutes, and continue fighting the good fight with more dangerous cultist
:notsureifserious:
We ARE 'the more dangerous cultist' around these parts. If you haven't noticed, they are not attacking the girls.

they come to us, ask us to explain ourselves
And all we gave them is a 'fuck off, I did it for lulz'.
Then you are wondering why they are fighting us. You can't be serious.

There's that, true, but I really can't understand how the battle is actually going.

Treave said there were about 150 pugilists and 100 cultists.

In this part of the battlefield were the Kunlun AND Taishan sects (lets say between 80 and 100) fighting 12 girls and maybe 30 fire cultist, at most.

On the escape route there is Guo Fu and 50 Fire cultists.

Bai Jiutan is fighting Vahista. Yunzi is fighting the Huashan twins.

Between 50 and 70 pugilist are fighting/pursuing the rest of the cultists elsewhere.

I can only assume the bulk of the pugilist forces is right here where we are, and for the Kunlun and Taishan's brightest to spend time in an area where it's effectively 3 vs 1 (and that 1 is actively fleeing), while just one guy is fighting 50 in a strategically important position is just dumb.

I think these guys just want to prey on the weak and get glory afterwards. If it were not so we wouldn't even have encountered them since they would be somewhere else, where they could make a difference.

I don't actually know how the battle is actually going, I just made assumptions based on what treave told us.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think these guys just want to prey on the weak and get glory afterwards. If it were not so we wouldn't even have encountered them since they would be somewhere else, where they could make a difference.

I don't actually know how the battle is actually going, I just made assumptions based on what treave told us.
The battle is chaotic and disorganized. The fighters are all over the place. There are a bunch of different group all doing different things. They are not helping each other because they are not an army and they do not know how to operate together. Plus, their high command is kind of busy right now, so everyone is doing what they want. They may not even be aware what the situation is in the other parts of the battlefiels - we only know what we know because we had a chance to look at the big picture from a vantage point. Down here, it is pure chaos.

Really, there is no sinister plan or evil intentions behind their actions. They saw their fighters being attacked and came to help. That's all there is to it.

Tribute

Arbiter
Or it's possible that jianghu fighters are just pretty awful at conducting a proper battle. Considering their ethos is all about personal skill, glory, and one on one fights (or skirmishes at most), this would not be surprising.

Treave has said repeatedly that skill in the jianghu does not translate very well to skill on the battlefield.

Baltika9

Arcane
Man, we should've brought a platoon of Imperial Army veterans. They would put a stop to this shit in thirty minutes.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well it is important to realize that none of these people are really soldiers and they have very little actual leadership at the moment so they are not going to really make the best decisions.

Jing showing up probably drew them over but they are not behaving in a manner consistent with fighting a battle. Honestly they should have all just immediately attacked us and tried to overwhelm us, that would have been the best move but they are not thinking like soldiers because they are just dumb kids. Which is why we should educate them a little. ;)

On the bright side if this is how the sects fight a battle without their masters then Shun should be able to roll them all up without much trouble. Against an actual army these guys would not fare too well I think.

Tigranes

Arcane
Flop from B to B>D.

I mean, it's not like there's a crowd of spectators watching us to spread the word with C.

Absinthe

Arcane
We already have all the rep we need to challenge BJ, though.
It's not all about Bai Jiutian, though. If you pay attention to Zhang Jue's challenge, we're supposed to prove we're better than all the eight sects, not just Huashan. Beating Bai Jiutian will probably work, but we shouldn't neglect other opportunities.

I mean, it's not like there's a crowd of spectators watching us to spread the word with C.
There's enough of a crowd around to make sure Jing's deeds will be known. This would be a very high profile fight. Besides, we don't need them to be actively observing, and at the very least, the girls are watching.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's not all about Bai Jiutian, though. If you pay attention to Zhang Jue's challenge, we're supposed to prove we're better than all the eight sects, not just Huashan. Beating Bai Jiutian will probably work, but we shouldn't neglect other opportunities.
If we trounce them here and now and then defeat BJ, who is considered the best of the best of the best, then public opinion will be that, yeah, Xu Jing steamrolled over them and "fair odds" (this is a battlefield, where the fuck does fair come in?) wouldn't have helped them much.

Absinthe

Arcane
Bai Jiutian is already losing to Vahista. We'll be the guy who comes in and takes out left-overs, Baltika9. It's too late to play that badass card. Besides, for all we know, Sword Saint will jump in. Stop holding your breath for a possible opportunity to face Bai Jiutian after he's taken a massive beating like it will prove our cred.

Fangshi

Arcane
Our unorthodox rep may even help with that. We are not expected to play fair, if we do we surprise them but we are not part of the sects, their rules do not bind us. Who cares if it is dirty? They can try us again later if they think they are hard enough but I would rather try and avoid injuries as we will have to fight BJ within six months.

Honestly, I mean we are the Maniac's Apprentice, we are on a battlefield and they turned their attention from us what did they really think was going to happen?

They are fighting a guy that is known to behave in an unpredictable manner and it would still be 8 on 1. If they can not win it is their own fault.

Baltika9

Arcane
If Vahista is even of our generation, and LORD Zhang specifically said that we must be acknowledged as the best fighter of our generation, then we'll have to fight him. Nothing changes.
What's your point.

Esquilax

Arcane
It still helps a lot. It means Jing has the awareness to face multiple foes at once and an understanding that enables him to see moves not just as a single fighter's attacks but as a joint effort to enable an ally's motions. So if Taishan 1 is setting up Taishan 5, then just by watching Taishan 1's moves, Jing can already guess what Taishan 5 is going to try because of this extensive experience.

Without knowing how the Qixing Formation works, how would Xu Jing be able to predict this? You can't really predict the setups and anticipate the various feints for a move that you've never seen. This is wishful thinking and considering we'd have to deal with Su Liaojing simultaneously, it's going to be very difficult to keep the Kunlun fighter at bay while probing the Taishan Seven for weaknesses in their formation.

No, right now, Vahista is. B3 didn't win though. Treave already said "don't think of future battles when planning this" so I'm going to go with that. If you're holding out for a BJ fight after D, I'm not sure we'll have that opportunity, and treave is definitely saying "don't count on it." Plus, while none of them are Bai Jiutian, all of them combined are probably considered a match for Bai Jiutian at the very least, so this is also going to give us some serious rep.

I like C because it establishes us as a giant badass motherfucker, and we really don't need to be on any more shitlists than we already are.

Vahista isn't even of our generation. When I say that Bai Jiutian is the secretly a woman, I mean that she's the one who is considered the best of our generation. We already have plenty of grounds to challenge him already - in fact, he challenged us back at the tournament - and it's not like we need to beat up this crew to suddenly make ourselves worthy of challenging him.

As for shitlists, it comes with the territory of being Zhang's apprentice. We've sided with the Fire Cult in this battle, so I say in for a penny, in for a pound.

Rex Feral said:

Yeah, we made assumptions and this is why we're stuck here fighting these chumps instead of either engaging in a badass Mexican standoff with Bai Jiutian and Vahista or wrapping up Yunzi and the Nie twins up in spider silk for transportation into our bondage dungeon.

Tribute

Arbiter
Yeah, the fact that they're trying to set up formal exhibition fights in the middle of an actual battlefield is slightly insane. Why does calling that out as insane risk a huge rep hit again? This stopped being a tournament the moment people got a mountain dropped on their heads.

If we go with D we probably incapacitate 3 of them at best, and continue fighting the Kunlun guy and a 4 man formation of Taishan. We deny the Taishan the advantage of using their favorite tactic, which they believe will kick our ass on its own, at the loss of reputation point (we probably go from -35 to -50)

If we go with C we will fight a 7 man formation and Su Liaojing. Which is pretty tough since both of them seem a about 3/4 of Jing's power level. And we fight them on their own terms.

Since the choices seem to be balanced, in the best case scenario, I think D will grant us victory at the cost of reputation and unorthodox points while C will grant us victory at the cost of an injury or two.

In the worst case scenario, D will grant us victory at the cost of reputation and an injury while C will bring us defeat.
I think this might be a good guess at how this is going to work out. With D we will probably win but at the cost of our reputation with them. C is the toughest option and while we can win, it also carries a greater risk of injuries. And I for one am really, really tired of Jing getting injured every single time he gets into a major fight. Fuck, they have declared their intentions loud and clear, striking first is not unfair. I mean if that is unfair, how the hell would them ganging up on us 7 to 1 be fair? Because they are more effective fighters that way? Well no shit, I bet we would be more effective as well if we had our girls to provide us backup. Just call it the "Claws of the angry harem" technique.

Baltika9

Arcane
We wouldn't need the whole harem for these chumps, just sic Cao'er on them while she is on the rag.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
If Vahista is even of our generation, and LORD Zhang specifically said that we must be acknowledged as the best fighter of our generation, then we'll have to fight him. Nothing changes.
What's your point.
That beating Vahista earns us more cred than beating Bai Jiutian, but neither of these are really options anymore, so vote C dammit and take what you can get.

Baltika9

Arcane
That beating Vahista earns us more cred than beating Bai Jiutian, but neither of these are really options anymore, so vote C dammit and take what you can get.
To elaborate: we still have six months left for the challenge so I'm pretty sure we'll get to fight them by the end of it. They would pwn us one-on-one right now anyway.

Edit: treave, is this
You call out Su Liaojing, saying that you will defeat him first before taking on the Taishan Seven. He is rumoured to be Kunlun’s best young fighter, losing only to Yunzi in the tournament: you will see just how good he is.
About the Young Tigers tournament, or the Fire Cult's challenge?

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
The first round of the tournament was divided into two sessions, with one taking place after the other. The matches in each session would take place simultaneously.

The matches in the first session are as follows:

Xumao vs Faceless

Yiqing vs Nie Shuixian

Wu Tong vs Mo Liuye

Su Liaojing vs Xuzheng

Zhou Xiaowu vs Gan Maqi

Gu Dipeng vs Yifang

Xuzhan vs Ma Youxuan

Xuzhu vs Yixing

The remainder of the matches are in the second session.

Nameless vs Shapeless

Zhu Cangxu vs Lantu

Xu Wanke vs Wu Yin

Xiaoxiang vs Gao Xiaoma

Li Mao vs Murong Yandi

Wu Jin vs Guo Fu

Yiling vs Man Tiger Pig

Jixuan Wuni vs Nie Mudan

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regarding negotiations, the moment you beat up their people it becomes a fight first, talk later scenario. Honor of the sect demands they at least try to avenge their fallen. And you don't exactly have the sort of reputation that encourages diplomacy.

Regarding acceptability of D, I said it would be acceptable to Zhang. As in, he won't kill you over it, and understands that it is ok in a real brawl. The orthodox sects won't be pleased though. And about killing Lingshu, that was only if you did some stunning poetry in her blood claiming responsibility aka amuse him by bringing stupid amounts of hatred down on your head.

Regarding reputation for beating the Taishan formation at it's best: considerable. It's famed as one of the most powerful formations for a reason. Even Bai Jiutian hasn't tried it before, though that doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed. Adding Su Liaojing into the fight will give you the sort of reputation that puts you as an equal to Bai even if they will not actually say you are better until you beat him.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Regarding negotiations, the moment you beat up their people it becomes a fight first, talk later scenario. Honor of the sect demands they at least try to avenge their fallen. And you don't exactly have the sort of reputation that encourages diplomacy.

Why would someone begrudge the disciple of the Southern Maniac, friend to all animals on Yinhu Island, liberator of Nippon, and gentle poet of Luoying Manor?

Regarding acceptability of D, I said it would be acceptable to Zhang. As in, he won't kill you over it, and understands that it is ok in a real brawl. The orthodox sects won't be pleased though. And about killing Lingshu, that was only if you did some stunning poetry in her blood claiming responsibility aka amuse him by bringing stupid amounts of hatred down on your head.

Regarding reputation for beating the Taishan formation at it's best: considerable. It's famed as one of the most powerful formations for a reason. Even Bai Jiutian hasn't tried it before, though that doesn't mean he wouldn't succeed. Adding Su Liaojing into the fight will give you the sort of reputation that puts you as an equal to Bai even if they will not actually say you are better until you beat him.

I gotta hand it to you, treave, you've certainly upped the stakes here. However, I was under the impression that Zhang Jue isn't really cool with a tie game here - if we haven't established ourselves as the clear #1 of our generation, then we've fucked up and lost the challenge regardless. If ya ain't first, yer last!

On the other hand, I suppose that upping our reputation to that extent would allow us to be able to turn down challenges from say, Yunzi or Guo Fu. Plus it would definitely make Bai Jiutian nervous by providing us with a ton of fame and a possible psychological edge against him, which we could definitely work to our advantage...

What sort of rules would there be in this battle, treave? I assume that since we'd be taking everybody on in C, all bets are off and it's going to be a lethal battle royale. Still, I am definitely skeptical about a one-eyed man being able to spot the weaknesses in a precise formation that he's never seen while simultaneously fighting a strong pugilist from a school he's never seen either.

Goddamn, now I'm definitely tempted towards doing some YOLOTIGERing. It seems to be the only way to absolve ourselves of the shame of not fighting BJ/Vahista and/or capturing maidens.

Fuck it, C, this is madness, but now I'm hooked. Guys, please tell me that this is retarded, so that I can flop back.

Back on D for now.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zhang has an 'aim for the top or die trying' outlook for you, yes. You still have to beat Bai Jiutian if he doesn't change his mind about the challenge, regardless of what transpires here.

As for rules, very little, really, once all of you have agreed on a fight. Silk is fine, kicking dirt in their eyes is ok, but using hidden poisoned needles aren't.

Anabanana

Augur
I believe you mean C, Esquilax? C is the YOLOTIGER option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom