Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Elfberserker, I'm pretty sure the Sword Saint did not participate in the tournament. Treave had this to say about the Sword Saint:
    This would also probably make him stronger than Zhang Jue.

Also, frankly speaking, all the options seem very dangerous to me. I just feel like C2 is the most manageable option for us, plus it does what we want, and it would help our side if we succeed or even if we just keep the Amesha Spenta busy long enough. If Bai Jiutian can solo an injured Vahista, then our group should have decent odds of taking on these guys.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Sorry, but the reason for our 'sudden attack' is exactly that they took her hostage. If anything, giving her away instead of keeping her would solve the problem instantly and keep her people out of harm's way. That is even without mentioning that the notion of Yunzi keeping the girl to make her an unwilling concubine for the Fire Lord she does not like herself is completely deranged.

As for the Saint, here is the post you are looking for:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No, he didn't. The Sword Saint would have only been around 15 at the time of the last tournament anyway.

Though 'Sword Saint is undefeated' refers to him being undefeated after he came into prominence (surely he must have lost at some time during his training, after all), and does not exclude any draws, though those are rather rare.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Personally, I wonder what that was about:
    He fought Zhang Jue without unsheathing his sword (if we interpret "could" as "could, but didn't"). That should tell us something about his power level.

Though this one probably ended in one of these draws.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Nah, nothing special. It's pretty much Zhang hears about the best swordsman ever, goes off to test his skill, enjoys himself.

^ Top  
  6. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    She can't override Firelords command even if she doesn't like him. If she goes against direct wishes of Firelord then she has to bear consequences and frankly that guy has given enough reasons to believe that he could be massive dick towards his own harem as well if given the reason. Not to mention with that move she could earn herself enemies from within her home faction.

Edit: Furthermore Yunzi might not know that we are attacking, because we want to rescue Qilin. The girl is not mind reader and I suspect that she will have knee-jerk reaction towards our sudden assault

^ Top  
  7. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, but what were his orders, and to whom they were issued to? I don't think she will break any by not intervening, and if the orders were indeed to keep Qilin alive for now, she can actually reinforce them to keep her safe even as she is being rescued. There is enough wiggle room for her.

For someone who obviously takes the loss of her freedom hard to subject another girl (even a stranger, much less a girl she knows to be Jing's fiancee) to an even worse fate would be... not unthinkable, I guess, but it would be akin to Jing allying himself with Ahura Mazda to backstab the younger fighters. It is still possible, but I have trouble imagining the exact set of circumstances that would force such an unlikely turn of events.

In fact, I would find it hard to believe that she didn't try to protest yet, unless she had a plan of her own and didn't want to arouse suspicion.

As for the reason why we would be there - let's see: she knows that Qilin is one of Jing's girls, courtesy of Cao'er; she knows the Fire Lord have taken her by force as a bargain chip and a concubine; she knows our take on slavery and is sympathetic to the notion; she knows that we are so fiercely loyal to our friends that we have risked our life to prevent Chanfeng from leaving to a certain doom; she will see us making a beeline for Amesha Spentas holding Qilin hostage... what would be the possible reason for this? Surely Jing have returned to claim the gratitude of the Fire Lord's maidens by force of arms and to murder her beloved people whom he tried to save just minutes ago! What a sudden unprovoked assault!

You don't have to be a genius tactician or a mind reader to grasp the purpose behind our actions. In fact, even Guo Fu could not have been misled by these facts.

^ Top  
  8. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    She will also see Jing arriving with couple of eight sects younger fighters. She knows that Jing is only rescuing his harem member, but I think she will be highly suspicious of Bai Jiutian and perhaps even Miss Song. Surely Yunzi doesn't want her comrades getting killed by these orthodox fighters even if she were highly sympathetic towards us.

She might not intervene right away or even if Amesha spenta start losing, but there is always a Chance that she will protect her comrades lives even at cost of Qiling freedom.

Who knows maybe You are right that perhaps she has a plan to free Qiling, but she is still limited in her movement to act as long as Firelord is around.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    From what we have seen, her loyalty extends to the common folk from the Fire Cult, and not to their leadership, if her dialogue with Vahista is of any indication. She feels she has a duty to her people, not to the Fire Lord and his goons. I would not be too hasty to call them her comrades just yet.

It is unknown whether she would intervene if their life is in danger, but, fortunately or unfortunately, Amesha Spentas are still a power to be reckoned with, far greater than even the best disciples of the Eight Sects, so I doubt we'll get to kill anyone. I plan mostly on distracting them from their duties.

Yes, she most probably can't act openly against the orders of the Fire Lord while he is around, which is why we take this action when he is distracted, allowing her at least some measure of autonomy.

^ Top  
  10. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Who are the 5 Greats again? Zhang Jue, Tulu Houdu, Wang and the beggar Qi Liuwu (Or something like that)

Who am I missing?

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangzhang, the Shaolin Abbott.

The link to the sects and personalities is on the first page, BTW. ;)

^ Top  
  12. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    So Wang defeated Zhang Jue, Fangzhang, Tulu Houdu and Qi Liuwu while they all ganged on him. :what:

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes. And Ahura Mazda is of comparable power:
    And yet there is talk about killing him here and now with the forces we have. Get real, people.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    We don't really know how strong the Sword Saint is, but if he didn't obliterated Zhang Jue back when he fought him, I guess he doesn't stand much of a chance.

^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Ahura is injured, though. I hope they can hold out until we free Qilin, and then sound the retreat.

^ Top  
  16. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I hope things speed up a bit and treave won't go snail speed like:

Update 1: You reach the Fire Cult Camp. Do you:
    a) sneak in
    b) barge in
    c) yell at them that you're coming

Update 2: You have entered the Fire Cult Camp. Do you:
    a) Go left
    b) Go right

Update 3: Someone attacks you. Do you:
    a) kick him
    b) punch him
    c) troll him
    d) Flee

etc.

^ Top  
  17. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    And yet there is talk about taking people away from the fight, letting him kill or wound the only people who can slow him down enough so that numbers matter. Get real people.

^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Xsaora Vairya

Bai Jiutian had agreed readily enough: having heard what Ahura had said, and knowing his master’s opinion on Qilin, he seemed to have come to the conclusion that rescuing her would free up the Eight Sects’ to retreat if the need arose. To him, it was a sound decision. The others did not need much convincing. Murong Yandi and Song Lingshu were eager to aid you by any means necessary.

Their charge towards the cultists was the spark for an all-out battle. As the Fire Temple fighters rushed out to meet the three of them, the Qingcheng disciples surged forward to help their leader, Lingshu. The rest of the Eight Sects’ pugilists soon followed, Guo Fu thundering into the fray like a ferocious charging bull. You had not expected a full-scale fight to break out, but it served your purpose better this way. The Lord of the Fire Temple did not seem to care; or perhaps he could not, his attention fully occupied by the Sword Saint and the three Masters of Huashan, Taishan and Kunlun.

As the battle between the Fire Cult and the Eight Sects’ resumed, you see Vahista and the female Amesha Spenta that had been healing Ahura join the melee. You had avoided getting bogged down in that fight, instead using it as a distraction. None of the other fighters could sneak well enough to get close without being found out, and had you marched in with the others it was not certain that you would manage to reach Qilin in time without anything else untoward happening. You would just have to hope they broke past the lines in time to assist you. Looking further, you see that Yunzi is not participating this time, guarded by some of her handmaidens as she stays back cautiously.

That leaves the Amesha Spenta guarding Qilin. You recognize the man: he is the one who attacked you back at the Young Tigers Martial Arts Tournament, the fighter who had enough power to possibly rival your master. He seems impatient… his eyes are filled with a hunger for battle, yet he has his orders to keep Qilin guarded. You wait for a while, wondering if the Amesha Spenta will finally get tired of waiting and abandon his watch to charge into the fight.

No such luck.

His devotion to his duty wins out, his expression settling into one of intense focus. Then, he suddenly turns his head, looking straight towards your hiding place. It looks like the Amesha Spenta is sharper than you had expected. No common fighter would have caught your presence.

It looks like your choice is made for you – Cao’er stares at you and nods. You pat her on the head, and then leap out of your cover.

Qilin looks surprised to see you appear. A vicious, eager grin spreads across the Amesha Spenta’s face as you run towards him. “Come!” he growls, happy to see action. Still holding Qilin by her throat, he pushes her behind him protectively and raises his arm.

Suddenly, Qilin goes into a dead faint, her eyes rolling up in her head as she slumps limply. The Amesha Spenta shifts his eyes towards her just briefly, puzzled: he lets go of her throat quickly, wondering if he had perhaps squeezed too hard somehow, and she collapses to the ground without resistance.

You give out a shout as you increase your speed, closing the remaining steps in the blink of an eye with a soaring leap.

Swinging your body around in mid-air, you send a thunderous kick flying towards your opponent’s temple.

His arm moves into the way as he yells out a foreign curse. Your leg connects with it, limb against limb. The power behind your kick sends the surprised Amesha Spenta stumbling backwards a good few paces.

Qilin is lying on the ground, unmoving, the momentum of your attack carrying you away from her side. As you land, you turn towards her, wondering if she is okay.

That was probably not advisable.

You snap back towards the Amesha Spenta just in time to see his palm rushing towards you. You meet it with your own palm, more by sheer instinct from your training with Master Zhang than any conscious thought.

A fiery lance of pain shoots up your arm. Your feet skid back, digging into the ground, but you somehow find it in you to remain standing. Your neigong begins swallowing up the fiery qi that he is driving into your body, consuming it, but it is not a process that is fast enough to spare you the injury and the pain. Still, the sight of you holding your own is sufficient to make the man grin and retreat, his robes fluttering in his wake.

“It looks like you have improved, filthy urchin that dared touch our Holy Maiden. This time you might even be worth a fight. What was your name again?” he asks, pointing directly at you.

“Xu Jing,” you say, raising your arms defiantly. “It seems that you haven’t been paying attention to the gossip in your little temple lately, if you haven’t heard my name.” Your knees are still weak from that single blow of his that caught you off guard: you think Qilin is still down, but you realize that right now, having attracted the Amesha Spenta’s notice, doing anything but giving the fight your undivided attention would be your doom. You would just have to trust Cao’er to take care of things.

The Amesha Spenta roars in laughter, his eyes gleaming with excitement. “Gossip is for women and children. I pay such things no notice. I am Xsaora Vairya, the strongest warrior of the Amesha Spenta and the guardian of metal.” He spreads his arms as he announces his name. Wisps of smoke appear to rise from his skin, slowly dissipating into the air. As he shrugs off the upper part of his robes, revealing a muscular physique that almost appears to be carved from iron, Vairya clenches his fists and takes a stance. You feel an intense killing intent emanate from the man, a bloodlust that is targeted at you, and you alone.

His qi is not as oppressive and terrifying as that of Ahura’s, but you can tell without a doubt that Vairya’s strength could probably match that of Zhang Jue.

“What is the matter, urchin? Do not wait,” he taunts. “There is no escape. Come! Fight!”

He is right, in a way.

If you are to engage him in battle, being overly concerned... being too frightened about your opponent's strength at this point would be a detriment.

If you are to fight... you fight, with all of your strength, smarts and skill.

Nothing else should matter.

A. You go all-out from the start, attacking aggressively with your Wuying Leipo Kick and Shouwang Claws. Your neigong should allow you to trade blows with him to a certain extent, and you will unleash the full array of your moves on him, giving him no respite. Your sheer ferocity will be the means by which you overwhelm your opponent.

B. You play it cautiously, taking a more defensive, countering stance. By mixing the use of spider-silk threads with your deceptive swordplay, as well as looking for chances to utilize the fire medicine satchel, you might be able to find or create an opening which you can exploit as you go for the kill with your blade.

C. You focus on talking to him instead of facing him in direct combat, playing keep away for as long as you can. You do not think words will work to the extent that he will let down his guard for your victory, but perhaps you can persuade him to stop fighting you and instead go after the Eight Sects’ fighters.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  19. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Let's go with A, I guess. He can outlast us anyway since he's got to have some pretty intense endurance for that neigong, so let's go with Jing's strengths in an all out assault.

^ Top  
  20. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Well, shit.

In any other case, I would go for A... but I don't think this is an opponent we can overwhelm, at least not without taking severe injuries in the process. Fighting metal with softness seems like it would work better. On the other hand, the Wuying Leipo Kick is our strongest technique. Still, I wonder what the repercussions of swallowing fiery neigong are...

^ Top  
  21. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    I'm not too sure our other stuff will work out too well. It was said that the silk can be burned up, and the strongest of the Amesha Spentas would probably be one of our strongest bets for being able to use fire qi for that. Trying to use the fire medicine prematurely would also seem to prevent us from being able to use it to retreat.

Jing's not too great of a defensive fighter and if he trips up and gets an arm shattered or something, he won't be able to make use of his full offensive potential. I think of we're going to pick one, it should be either A or C.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Let this battle henceforth be known as The Battle for Qilin.

There is no fuck like MAXIMUM FUCK.

A.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    It's either A or C, swords are at 5 and it is dumb to not utilize our greatest strength in unarmed. Qilin and Cao'er are nearby, too.
    Shit. Going for A, this fuck will pay for hurting our Qilin. LORD ZHANG will be pleased when he arrives.

His title is fucking awesome, though. "Guardian of Metal."
    :bravo:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    So, 30 minutes ago we lost to Liaojing, who was inferior to us, and now you guys want to go against a guy whose strength rivals Zhang Jue.

Really? It's not too late for Qilin to take the killing blow meant for us. treave can't wait for it.

As for the choice B, we really aren't a smart fighter, though we have the intelligence for it, and Liaojing already proved us how an inferior fighter can overcome a stronger one through trickery and that fire medicine. We might try it ourselves. However I don't really know how this guy would react to it, it might not even move him an inch. I also want to remind you we have defeated a superior foe through defensive combat.

C also seems pretty useless since this guy just wants to kill us and doesn't sound like he would listen to reason or be easily manipulated.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The man is like a bulldog. Once he latches onto you, there is no unclenching his jaws. He waited patiently for you to come to him, and there is no escaping him. What do the other fighers matter to him? They did not touch his Holy Maiden, nor did they get noticed by his Lord. Besides, now that he tested our strength and revealed his name, it is a matter of pride to him.

There is no way C would work.

We are fucked. So let's make it a MAXIMUM one.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.