Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Will skill with thrown weapons help at all with the spidersilks?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You guys can decide yourselves how to handle the order of voting. No worries. No rush, too.

Regarding thrown weapons and spider silk, yes for long range, particularly if you tie needles or pebbles or swords to the silk.

ScubaV

Prophet
Oh boy this is going to take awhile. Update next week maybe? Anyway I'll put together some package ideas later , but I'd really like us to spend more time training. Maybe even three years up to the summit. It's too bad Maniac Island isn't a hyperbolic time chamber, but I think the opportunities here are too good to spend only a year or so.

Anabanana

Augur
Zhang Jue didn't happen to find any strange balls with stars on them on his Nippon trip, did he? :lol:

Esquilax

Arcane
Esquilax, how about this:
25, neiggong upgrade. 6 months.
26, qi drain. 3 months.
31, END training. 5 months.
22, reikan +1 PER. 1 month.
15/16/20. +3 months.

And 34 for Nuwa's sexy time. Priceless.
A total of eighteen months.

Good picks. To me, training here should not be about picking every fucking choice, but rather about picking a few things that you want to really devote time to and perfect. Reikan is the exception here, but a +1 PER for a one month investment is a total steal.

However, since we're synergizing, I think that only picking one of 15/16/20 isn't quite as useful as going for the overall Sword upgrade to go along with it. Your point that the Huashan counter that Zhang theorycrafted might be a dud is also well-taken. Nevertheless, to fully make use of synergy, I think we need to go with the overall +1 Sword boost with the 2 month investment, in addition to (1) technique from 15/16/20.

By that same logic, I'm also going with the neigong and the END boost so that we don't burn ourselves up using our qi when we need it. The qi absorption improvement is nice, but overall, I don't think it's nearly as high as a priority as improving our overall neigong or our END. Plus, I'd rather spend that time improving our swordsmanship, so I guess that's where we disagree.

My list would look like,

13, 15/16/20, 22, 25, 30 for an overall investment of 17 months.

Oh boy this is going to take awhile. Update next week maybe? Anyway I'll put together some package ideas later , but I'd really like us to spend more time training. Maybe even three years up to the summit. It's too bad Maniac Island isn't a hyperbolic time chamber, but I think the opportunities here are too good to spend only a year or so.

You're right. The opportunities are really, really fucking good. However, I think we need to balance out our need to take advantage of this great opportunity in front of us with our need to not let events in the world pass us by, such as the Fire Cult, Yunzi's impending marriage with the Turfan Prince, and the Douchebag Generation of the orthodox sects consolidating their power.

It's also important that we've still managed to learn a fuckload on our own adventures over the past six months, so let's not discount the value of our practical experiences either. We spent eighteen months on Maniac Island our first time through, and I believe that is a good limit.

I find it all so tempting too. I have half a mind to go for the +1 CHA boost to improve our harem-gathering abilities. Xu Jing will be a :obviously: and irresistible man of MYSTARY!

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Hurrah! So many options.

My humble suggestion:

Must have:

15: Minamoto sword tech.
16: Zhang jue sword tech

I think it's time to invest in sword techniques. Zhang Jue sword tech sounds like it could be big help, if it works.
Minamoto Sword tech seems to me be solid technique. It could potentially caugh chinese pugilists off guard and it would really help if we get in another non-lethal matches while with Zhang Juetechnique we would have to hold back.

22: Reikan training
25: Very potent neigong training.
30: Endurance training.

These two have very nice synenergy and one of Jing biggest weakness has been that he is bit of the glass canon. The only down side is that it takes lot of time to improve these skills. Improving reikan is shortest way to improve our poor perception, even though it won't be as realible as +1 plus from perception training.

Total time: 18 mothns ( 1 year and 6 months)

Summary: I think we have solid base with untested Zhang Jue killer tech and rare and tested Minamoto technique. We could use Fanfeng sword technique in lethal matches or against Hueshan guys, but if that doesn't work or we are in non-lehtal match then Minamoto Technique seems to be solid technique. Having little variety in our almost non existance sword techniques isn't a bad thing and we should be decent sword man with that 6 sword skills.

Neigong training just boost our main melee abilites significantly and endurance is useful from actually improving our stamina and tanking abilites. We have witnessed several times that Jing tends to have his bones breaking and just run out of juice

Baltika9

Arcane
13, 15/16/20, 22, 25, 30 for an overall investment of 17 months.
I'm willing to compromise, but this leaves one month of training open to us. My first instinct is to scream +4 SPEARS, YANG XUE STILL LIVES!
But how about we add that +1 SoH/1 month upgrade into the plan. Quality time with Qilin, and it helps our spidersilks.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Like Baltika's list. Though would add 13 to it as well since it takes only 2 months and would give us an additional +1 to sword.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Screw the outside world, I want us to become one of the greats. That means training. We're living with our waifus (Qilin, Cao'er, Zhang Jue, sans Yunzi), on an island, and training to become the greatest martial artist ever to exist. What more could we want for? BJ has had a head start, but with Zhang Jue's superior instruction, Cao'er's observations and innate intelligence, and Qilin's devious knowledge, we will overshadow BJ before she knows what happened.
Training Time: 48 months - 4 years - See spoiler for details
Outer and Inner Training
25. Need more inner strength, we suck at it right now
26. Qi absorption is cool.
27. More qinggong will take advantage of our cool kicking technique
32. I want more intelligence. (How will we ever become Shulgi otherwise?). Physical stats can be better increased through techniques. With Reikan we should also be able to improve ourselves through observation and analysis, based on what treave has said previously.

Advanced Combat Techniques
13. +1 SOWDS!!!
14. Unarmed mastery. Worth it.
16. Gotta counter BJ for secret harem option
22. Short amount of time, and +1 reikan per. Worth it
24. Gotta be spider-man-bear-pig
18. Getting back to basics
(Now I don't care about Wudu Fushun and animal shenanigans, but I will compromise and include it on the list for those who, like me, want to train a shitload, since I know it's popular)

Basic and Misc Skills
6. Need more art skill
10. We ought to have some skill with traps. Besides, it's one month training
12. +1 scholarship.
5. Need some ranged capacity. Takes advantage of spidersilks too.

What does all this gives us?

Stats
+1 intelligence - Lets us improve ourselves even more, when combined with Reikan. Can calculate the weaknesses of enemy combatants' techniques through observation.

Martial Skills:
+2 Swords
+1 Unarmed
+4 Throwing Weapons - combines well with spidersilk

Misc Skills
+2 Art
+1 Scholarly Knowledge
+4 Traps

Techniques
+2 Inner Strength +2 STR +2 AGIL +2 END
+2 Qingqong +2 AGIL
+1 Perception Reikan
Better Qi Absoption
Huashan Sword Counter
Greater skill with spidersilk
Better Chuzhan Fist and Shouwang Mad Claws

All for 4 years of training.

Please note, I'm willing to vote to include MORE training, but I think this regimen incorporates practically everything we ought to be concerned about. I'm tempted to vote for praying to the gods, but screw those guys, they're future competition.

Why are you guys voting for a short training period? What do we need to do? This is the time, we need to practice.

Cue Eye of the (Man)-Tiger-(Pig) training montage

Also treave, you're either a sadist or a masochist to encourage the coming DISCUSS.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
But how about we add that +1 SoH/1 month upgrade into the plan. Quality time with Qilin, and it helps our spidersilks.

This might be a little strange, but what about +4 Thrown Weapons?

Regarding thrown weapons and spider silk, yes for long range, particularly if you tie needles or pebbles or swords to the silk.

Not sure if Reikan would improve our cap here, but could it synergize with that technique? Still, a +1 Sleight-of-Hand investment would bump us up to 6, which would definitely be nice.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, we really don't have any ranged combat abilities, do we? Thrown weapons sound good, and Qilin can teach us advanced tricks as we get better.

Smashing Axe, why not just pick everything on the list?

Esquilax

Arcane
Screw the outside world, I want us to become one of the greats. That means training. We're living with our waifus (Qilin, Cao'er, Zhang Jue, sans Yunzi), on an island, and training to become the greatest martial artist ever to exist. What more could we want for? BJ has had a head start, but with Zhang Jue's superior instruction, Cao'er's observations and innate intelligence, and Qilin's devious knowledge, we will overshadow BJ before she knows what happened.
Training Time: 46 months - 3.83 years

If you want us to become one of the Greats, then I suppose you'll have to wait for the next Huashan Sword Summit in the following twenty-five years after we miss this one because we've been training on Maniac Island so long that it just passed us by. :lol:

I am not discounting the value of this training at all, but there is a lot that we can learn from our own adventures as well. Look at how much we've progressed in six months, ffs! The guys who became Greats trained a lot, sure, but Grand Taoist Wang also became the best due to his experiences in the war. Likewise, Zhang became an even bigger badass because he was out there fighting dragons rather than staying on his mansion. You wanna be the best, you gotta put yourself out there too.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
If there's support for that, I'd be behind it. I don't want to vote for luck from the gods though. Screw them. When's the big martial arts tournament again?

Tribute

Arbiter
I agree with Smashing Ax that at the moment there's nothing incredibly pressing and this is a very good time to go into seclusion for years to train ourselves. The world will move on without us, but then that's how things go in wuxia. Wuxia stories tend to be very long, and the world always continues to spin.

I don't know if I agree with all of his specific choices, but I agree with the sentiment. We don't want to squander our training opportunity here.

On the other hand, Esquilax also raises a good point.

Last edited:

Rex Feral

Prophet
Ok first we should decide how much time we want to spend on training.

I'd break this down in a choice between

A) 1 year, at most
B) 2 years, at most
C) 3 years, at most

Over 3 years is a sure no, since treave confirmed important irreversible events are going to happen.

As for myself I'd go for a maximum of two years, since we get a lot of training while still having about one year to roam the land and adventure.

Also, no gods.

Baltika9

Arcane
We have that invitation from Yunzi to visit her at the Monastery, and that Turfan Prince sounds like a dangerous fellow, both to our country and our waifu.

Besides, we can learn awesome Persian martial arts over there, like from Rob Halford Xsaora Vairya.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I don't want to vote for luck from the gods though. Screw them.
Screw the luck upgrade, this is what I'm after:
Nuwa's attention is attracted and she kidnaps you for hot snake goddess sex. Hora hora. Does that fall under good luck or bad?
Fifth result for "Hora Hora" on Google Image Search:
hora_hora_hora_by_captain_tealx-d4t4aux.png

I don't know where that's from and I don't care.
Guys. Guys, we have to do this.
Guys. Seriously.

Tribute

Arbiter
I don't know where that's from and I don't care.
Monster girl quest/Monmusu Quest. It's more or less a visual novel/RPG wherein you fight sexy monster girls and if you fail they molest you.

That particular girl there is one of the few you can have consensual sex with. Have fun.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
This might be a little strange, but what about +4 Thrown Weapons?

I would be behind it.

I am starting to think that we are perhaps too stingy with the time limit, if most popular seems to be 1 year and 6 months.

Each of basic training weapon only cost 1 month and to me sabers, throwing skills and spears seem most intresting with sabers and throwing skills sharing the top spot. We could also train one of our non-combat skills, because you never know when you need that drinking skill and we use stealth on regular bases.

If we go on adventuring in the world then Artistic skills would be really helpfult. You never know when we get our hands on manual.

Personally I am really tempted to spend more time in training so we could get Yuchang tech, +1 sword from intensive Zhang Jue training and artistic/ drinking skill boost,throwing and saber skill increase, but I fear that it would take too much time other fellow codexian to get behind it.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
We have that invitation from Yunzi to visit her at the Monastery, and that Turfan Prince sounds like a dangerous fellow, botg to our country and our waifu.

Besides, we can learn awesome Persian martial arts over there, like from Rob Halford Xsaora Vairya.
Learning Persian martial arts or learning all of Zhang Jue's techniques? I know what I'd choose.

China's capable of fending off a foreign invasion for a few years, and if Shun can't handle it, then he really doesn't deserve to be emperor.

The only thing that would have me reconsider is that big pugilist competition on Wudang (?) mountain.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Look at that belly o.O

Does she even have a pussy?

How do snakes have sex?

And those are only a few things that pass my mind when I see that picture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom