Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Screw the outside world, I want us to become one of the greats. That means training. We're living with our waifus (Qilin, Cao'er, Zhang Jue, sans Yunzi), on an island, and training to become the greatest martial artist ever to exist. What more could we want for? BJ has had a head start, but with Zhang Jue's superior instruction, Cao'er's observations and innate intelligence, and Qilin's devious knowledge, we will overshadow BJ before she knows what happened.
Training Time: 46 months - 3.83 years
I am not discounting the value of this training at all, but there is a lot that we can learn from our own adventures as well. Look at how much we've progressed in six months, ffs! The guys who became Greats trained a lot, sure, but Grand Taoist Wang also became the best due to his experiences in the war. Likewise, Zhang became an even bigger badass because he was out there fighting dragons rather than staying on his mansion. You wanna be the best, you gotta put yourself out there too.

Most of our improvements, except at the very start at the tournament, were the result of training/cooldown after helping someone. Reikan, chilling with the Wudu, etc. While it's true we learned somethings through battle, I think most of it was through practice.

Esquilax

Arcane
I agree with Smashing Ax that at the moment there's nothing incredibly pressing and this is a very good time to go into seclusion for years to train ourselves. The world will move on without us, but then that's how things go in wuxia. Wuxia stories tend to be very long, and the world always continues to spin.

I don't know if I agree with all of his specific choices, but I agree with the sentiment. We don't want to squander our training opportunity here.

On the other hand, Esquilax also raises a good point.

Oh, no doubt, there's a balancing act to be done. However, I think it's important to remember that this awesome training isn't just a blank check for us to just pick whatever the fuck we like without any consequence. I think that we should view this whole procedure the same way we would as investing in a business - you don't just throw money away, you pick what you really need, you realize that there are consequences to borrowing money and you accept them, then you figure out how much money you need and for what purpose.

Learning Persian martial arts or learning all of Zhang Jue's techniques? I know what I'd choose.

China's capable of fending off a foreign invasion for a few years, and if Shun can't handle it, then he really doesn't deserve to be emperor.

The only thing that would have me reconsider is that big pugilist competition on Wudang (?) mountain.

Zhang's techniques are fucking badass, no doubt. I'm really tempted to swap something out for the random technique that Zhang learned from his adventures in Nippon. As for the competition, it's actually on Mount Huashan, and IIRC, treave said that it's about three years away. Might be closer than that now.

However, we shouldn't dismiss what the Persians have to offer here either. It's important to note that our most powerful technique isn't even Master Zhang's either.

Most of our improvements, except at the very start at the tournament, were the result of training/cooldown after helping someone. Reikan, chilling with the Wudu, etc. While it's true we learned somethings through battle, I think most of it was through practice.

If anything, Jing's biggest weakness is that he kinda coasts on talent and doesn't train as hard as his orthodox counterparts. Which makes this a great opportunity, but it doesn't mean that we should spend the next three years scuttled away in Clevian bunker isolation.

asxetos

Augur
I vote only for 16. GTFO after 3 months and go to Yunzi. Shit will be going down probably.

treave what happened with the Leader of the Eight Sects? Did Nie become the new leader or will there be a Summit and when? Also, how lond will it take us to safely reach Yunzi and then the Sect Summit?

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Look at that belly o.O

Does she even have a pussy?

How do snakes have sex?

And those are only a few things that pass my mind when I see that picture.
If I remember correctly, she has a retractable sheath. Also a second mouth in her tail that devours men whole, which she will use to kill you horribly if you insist on fighting her to the death (she doesn't want to fight you at all, she actually likes you).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
2367679-alice.png
?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Don't worry too much about the exact time of the Huashan Summit, they don't have it at a fixed day of the year. Cao'er doesn't have the necessary alchemical expertise to replicate the Fire Medicine.

Tribute

Arbiter
However, I think it's important to remember that this awesome training isn't just a blank check for us to just pick whatever the fuck we like without any consequence. I think that we should view this whole procedure the same way we would as investing in a business - you don't just throw money away, you pick what you really need, you realize that there are consequences to borrowing money and you accept them, then you figure out how much money you need and for what purpose.
Well no, that's why I tried to pick useful stuff, mostly focusing around the wodao and our legendary sword, along with making sure we finally get the artistic skill we should have gotten forever ago, and some bonding time with Qilin as well as ensuring a steady supply of silk.

Anabanana

Augur
I'm going to put together a tentative package, not voting just yet. Going to include more techniques than necessary, and then cut down later.

5. Intensive basic thrown weapons training. (Thrown Weapons +4, 1 month)
We could use more range, and it's just one month. Bonus points for being usable with silk.

6. Practice art with Zhang Jue. (Artistic Skill +2, 2 months)
I think this is a crucial investment for learning more techniques in the future; we've run into a ton of poetry-based manuals so far. Besides, what could be more romantic than spending evenings alone with Zhang Jue, composing love poems to each other? :P

8. ‘Practice’ sleight-of-hand with Qilin... (Sleight-of-Hand +1, 1 month)
This will help with feinting and spider silk and shit. Also we get to spend time with Qilin. Again, it's only a 1 month investment.

15. Learn the rare Minamoto-style Kenjutsu focusing on quick draws and flowing attacks from Yorimitsu. (+1 Sword, 3 months)
Emphasis on this being a rare technique. Nobody except us and Zhang Jue will have experience with this kind of technique, and I think it'll give us an edge on our sword-wielding opponents.

16. Learn the Fanfeng Feixue Sword technique devised to counter Huashan. (+1 Sword, 3 months)
We're going to need to deal with Huehueshan sooner or later, nuff said. Also the technique name is fucking badass.

22. Further improve your mastery of Reikan by training with Yoriwaka. (+1 Reikan PER, 1 month)
We need the Reikan PER, being half-blind. Non-negotiable.

25. Undergo strenuous neigong training to unlock your potential (Neigong +2, 6 months, Yuanshi Hundun now gives +2 to STR, AGI and END)
Having a strong neigong is the foundation by which one conquers the jianghu. This is also non-negotiable.

27. Focus on qinggong practice by running around the island with the tigers, naked. (Qinggong +2, 6 months, Kuanglang Step now gives +2 to agility and increased ability to shrug off grabs)
This would synergize very well with our kicking technique, I think.

29. Intensive perception training. (+1 PER, 5 months)
We're half-blind. So.

34. Pray to the gods for better luck. (???)
If it succeeds, great. If it fails, the results should be hilarious. YOLOTIGER GO

(More than two years in total, but I'll be cutting down later.)

---Techniques I'm considering---
I have questions about the following techniques that I'd like treave to answer, if possible.

23. Learn Wudu Fushun: animal handling and rearing from Qilin. (2 months)
Will this let us put a snake or spider or scorpion in our eye socket?

26. Learn how to absorb qi from other people at a faster rate by ‘practicing’ with Qilin and Cao’er. (3 months)
I wonder if this also includes learning how to absorb and integrate qi in a safer way, since this kind of technique tends to lead to serious side-effects if we're too greedy with the absorption.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I agree that it'd be more conducive to first vote on the time period we're willing to train for before deciding the specifics of our training regimen.

I'd vote for the longest period that wouldn't compromise our attendance at the Huashan Summit. Screw the outside world, attain personal power.

Baltika9

Arcane
16. Learn the Fanfeng Feixue Sword technique devised to counter Huashan. (+1 Sword, 3 months)
We're going to need to deal with Huehueshan sooner or later, nuff said. Also the technique name is fucking badass.
My problem with the Fanfeng sword is this:
A. Fanfeng Feixue Sword (反風飛血劍, Counter-Wind Flying Blood Sword). Developed by Zhang Jue as an unorthodox variant of the Huashan Sect’s renowned swift sword technique, it is meant to counter their rapid slashes with even wilder, more furious and brutal attacks of your own that would spill their blood across the arena. It has never been tested against Huashan in actual combat.
Finding out that the technique is a dud right in the middle of an intense battle with BJ is kind of a shitty time for that. I'd rather we pick the rare kenjutsu, or improve on our own Yuchang style.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
23. Learn Wudu Fushun: animal handling and rearing from Qilin. (2 months)
Will this let us put a snake or spider or scorpion in our eye socket?

I remember Treave saying that he would roll for animal companion. I believe choices were Frog, Snake, Scorpion, Toad and some other one, but I can't remember

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regarding animal in eye socket, yes. As for qi absorption, your own qi type has the advantage of being able to subsume other qi more easily in return for less efficient conversion, so danger is lesser.

Tribute

Arbiter
Is nobody interested in saber training? One of our swords is actually intended to be used as a saber, and it'll eat up all of one month to learn decent saber skills (not to mention it should synergize well with the Japanese technique, as, again, that is the intended use of the sword).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Saber skills will make the kenjutsu even more efficient, yes, though its serviceable with just sword thanks to its balance and quality.

13, 15/16/20, 22, 25, 30 for an overall investment of 17 months.
Hmm, well I'm with you on the swords, but I have to vote for qi absorption upgrade over the endurance training. Like endurance, Qi absorption seems to increase our durability in battle but at the cost of our opponents. So, since we get a boost from that, another +2 endurance from inner strength and our inner strength is no longer limited by endurance, I must say that 5 months for endurance seems like a bit of a waste.

Also, you list lacks praying. I remember what was said about our fate when we researched the star we were born under, maybe this is an opportunity we will get to turn it all around. Or at least, make it not suck so much it will cause the entire country to go up in flames. Since it has no time cost and could lead to something interesting as well, why not try it.

Tribute

Arbiter
I'm also pretty sure we can switch from using it as a sword to using it as a saber and back again just by shifting our grip, which is again, super useful in an actual fight. Gives us lots of fluidity and flexibility without much effort on our part.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, is the Wodao equally as good as a sword and as a saber, or is the saber part of it still better?
To that end, they have decided to present to you a gift of a beautifully forged wodao – a slim and slender sabre similar to the ones in use by the Tang, but with a gentle curve to its back. You find that the balance of the masterwork blade is impeccable for both stabbing and slashing; it is balanced enough that you could handle it as if it were a regular sword. You cannot conceal it as with the Yuchang Sword, but if you have no use for it and times are hard, you could likely pawn it for some money.
This implied that it's good as both. Is there any penalty to suing the wodao as a sword?

Anabanana

Augur
Well, according to the Valentine's Day update, the whole reason we were born under the unlucky star was because we pissed off the gods, so maybe praying to them might not be the best idea.

Then again, Nuwa coming down to have hatesex with us would be hilarious.

And dang. Definitely going for the kenjutsu + saber combination then, especially since the saber adds just one month to the regimen.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Normal use it's equally good. But the wodao specific technique will get boosted if you also have saber skills.

Regarding orthodox sects, Nie is the current leader, next summit in roughly three years, and travel time to Yunzi is going to take the better part of a month.

Tribute

Arbiter
It's a katana. It's intended as a saber. It's just well-balanced enough to also be useful as a sword, but it's still improvising a use for it that it's not actually intended for. Using it for what it was originally designed for is always going to result in better performance on the weapon's part. On our part, we simply happen to have way more sword skill than saber skill.

Or that, sure.

Anabanana

Augur
As for qi absorption, your own qi type has the advantage of being able to subsume other qi more easily in return for less efficient conversion, so danger is lesser.

Qi absorption, especially RAPID qi absorption is going to freak out any and all opponents we meet, on top of, you know, actually reducing their qi. Neigong is something that you spend a lot of time cultivating so having it being rapidly sucked out of you in the middle of a fight would be terrifying. Definitely vote for this.

Esquilax

Arcane
Guys, we have done just fine with one eye, and let's not invest 5 months into a stat so that we can get it to a level that is still worse than it was before. Our PER before was 6, and it'll still be 5 after the boost. The eye is gone, let it go, bros.

For the stat boost, we really ought to go with END. Given our raging qi and the constant scrapes that we get into, this seems like the wisest investment:

It gives you greater durability so you don't tear yourself to pieces as quickly when your qi runs wild. Also you can kick Vairya for longer before you break your own leg.

This seems to be really crucial given that we'd be more likely to burn ourselves out with a higher skill at neigong. Is this the case, treave?

Hmm, well I'm with you on the swords, but I have to vote for qi absorption upgrade over the endurance training. Like endurance, Qi absorption seems to increase our durability in battle but at the cost of our opponents. So, since we get a boost from that, another +2 endurance from inner strength and our inner strength is no longer limited by endurance, I must say that 5 months for endurance seems like a bit of a waste.

Also, you list lacks praying. I remember what was said about our fate when we researched the star we were born under, maybe this is an opportunity we will get to turn it all around. Or at least, make it not suck so much it will cause the entire country to go up in flames. Since it has no time cost and could lead to something interesting as well, why not try it.

The inner strength boost confers another +1 END (we already have +1 END at our level), but I am more concerned with Jing's rather fragile ability to handle his qi. I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that at high levels of neigong, we might injure ourselves, and higher END will allow us to compensate for the effects by being generally tougher and hardier.

As for praying, maybe it's a chance to make it even worse. It's definitely interesting, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom