Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Seeing is how this is the Chapter's End, I'd like to ask all these questions that bugged me since the Chapter 1.

Show Spoiler
    一 · Punishment and Exile
    What would happen to us had we chosen an orthodox path. All of the guilds interest me, but the ones I want to know most about is Huashan and Wudang. What would they have in stock to deal with our qi situation? Would we end up Wang's personal disciple, like we did end up Zhang's? How would we have turned out in the shadow of our senior, Bai Jiutian?
    四 · Songfeng Sword School
    What would happen if we decided to return stealthily with B? What would happen if we offered Rong Jr to poison his father for him? What would happen if we actually would have done it? Most of these were theorized about, but it would be nice to receive a confirmation.
    五 · Turmoil in Songfeng
    This one mostly interests me to grasp the internal logic of the setting.
    What were the short-term consequences of other choices? Would they hate us more if we didn't state the reason for fighting Rong Jr.? How would they have reacted to our accusations if we just left? Would there be a penalty to our reputation (how big)? Would Rong Muben still die, and if so, would not people suspect Rong Jr. to be responsible for this?
    七 · Falling Pine
    We have met the Southern Maniac in Xuzhou. What would be our options had we gone to Xiangyang or Luoyang? Was it our chance to hook up with the orthodox factions?
    十 · Try Again
    What was the prefect's mission about? How many agents did he have doing it? How would have our relationship with Qilin developed if we tried to take her invitation? Would we even succeed in doing so, or would it just leave us incapacitated and unable to attend the meeting? What would happen if we ignored the manor entirely, thus never encountering the Southern Maniac, or if we didn't approach him at the conference?
    十五 · The Southern Maniac
    What were the consequences of the choices here? A2 is a dead end. B2 probably would have resulted in everyone but us being killed. What would happen if we tried to run away with Cao'er?

三 · Rumours of Qingcheng
    How our meeting with Lighshu would have gone? What would change had we requested the help from Emei, apart from us surrendering the sword?
    四 · Shadow in the Green City
    The choice that interests me most. What would happen in B2? Would A1 be different from the previous choice? What would A2 have resulted in - did we even have a chance to settle the matter peacefully?
    六 · To the Tournament
    What would have happened if we didn't conceal our identity? Or is it a spoiler?
    七 · Luoyang City
    How would the tournament have gone had we ignored Qilin? I assume there would be no party of BROs, we would not have met the masters since Yifang would not tell the Abbess on us, we wouldn't get to know Yandi better, he would not be able to protect Guo Fu and his wife... How much differently it would have turned out?
    八 · Registration
    What would have happened to Guo Fu if we chose to inflame the rumors about him?
    二十一 · A Challenger Arrives
    What would people think of us if we denied his accusations and his challenge to proclaim ourselves the disciple of Zhang Jue a day later? What would happen if we accepted his challenge but did not confirm our identity?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Chapter One
    1. Huashan pushes you through sheer physical training to compensate for your lack of ability in qi, and you'll be a misfit in the sect. You don't get a fix for it until perhaps Wang visits one day. Wudang will have Wang giving you pills to suppress your condition safely while he figures out a way to SPOILERS. You wouldn't be outwardly known as his personal disciple but you do become his favourite rather quickly, causing a bit of strife with the other members of the sect. As for Bai Jiutian, who knows what relationship would have blossomed between the both of you when you notice he always takes his bath separate from the other disciples... But yeah, love rectangle with Bai Jiutian and the Huashan Twin Flowers.

4. You manage to sneak in but inadvertently cause Rong Muben's death with a failed attempt at curing him.

5. They wouldn't hate you any more if you don't state the reason. Rong Muben would have looked into the accusations, your reputation wouldn't take a big hit, he would die, and because of your accusations Rong Jr. comes under a bit of suspicion, but not so much that he has problems consolidating his hold over Songfeng. But people will remember what you said.

7. Yes, a chance to get more acquainted with the sects there via their junior disciples.

10. Prefect -> spoilers, since as you know the mansion was later burnt down by the former Emperor. Trying to take her invitation gets you poisoned and killed thanks to her snake. If you ignore the manor entirely you get to move on to other stuff.

15. Yao manages to temporarily incapacitate Zhang Jue's martial arts at the cost of his own life, enough that he is unable to track you down. You get an option of where to flee. I figure most would pick Wudang, so you may get taken in there. Of course, Zhang being Zhang, he won't hold a grudge about this and would still want you as an apprentice in the future.

Chapter Two
    3. She wouldn't let Yao go that easily. Cao'er, maybe. If you wanted Yao free you'd have to fight her. Oh yeah, I forgot to put her on the tier list, didn't I? Since Emei was planning to bust out Cao'er anyway, you would try to free Yao while they take Cao'er.

4. B2 was going to be written rather close to molestation in the way you capture and tease her. It'd be an early start for what later became the Man Tiger Pig persona. A1 would have made Miecao angry and decide to leave Yao in there for the way he tried to manipulate you so that you'd take Cao'er and force her to settle for freeing him. Song Lingshu would not believe you in A2, but how it ends up depends on your approach during that choice.

6. You already know what they were planning with Zhang Jue's disciple, so you can probably extrapolate it from there.

7. You become a hobo and meet some important beggar characters.

8. Eventually things get so bad that he drops out of the competition and leaves the city to protect his wife.

21. They'd not think very highly of you. If you accepted without confirming, the guy pussies out after some posturing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    err

A

sorry, not sure what to do between chapters with no vote and no discuss to be had...

Guess I'll just wait for the time skip and the update.

However, treave while you're in a answering mood, with the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song. I assume its a thing that will improve our skills if we spend time studying it, as opposed to a specific technique as such, or did it provide all the benefit in that update?

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It'll be used passively to increase the speed at which you can improve your sword skills through other means, as well as raise the cap to +2 (eventually). As it's name says, it's a 'no-effort' technique, so you just take what you memorized and it'll aid you in learning swordplay no matter what technique you are practicing. Good for the lazy ones.

In mechanics terms, it means that the next sword technique you learn will come with an automatic +1 to sword skill.

^ Top  
  5. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Maybe we'll finally get some sword training then. If Zhang is back we could ask him for pointers with that anti-Huashan technique, could come useful the next time we meet BJ.

^ Top  
  6. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    The only question I have is when's the new chapter starting?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Maniac Training Part Two

“Jing…”

Cao’er crawls over to you on her hands and feet, dressed in nothing but a gossamer-thin gown. Her gaze is intense; it transfixes you from underneath her long bangs. Your mouth feels very dry, and you gulp. She raises her hand… she is holding something.

Something wooden, of a very familiar shape, set on a wheel attached to a hand-crank. Cao’er turns the crank. It goes round and round, and up and down. “I spent that whole month we were apart… just researching this…” She pauses and lets off a creepy giggle. “…I modeled it after yours.” Breathing heavily, Cao’er points her gadget at you. You try to back away, but you find yourself unable to move your limbs. The sheets fall away to reveal your nakedness, and you see that you have been bound with the spider silk in an elaborate pattern. Qilin drapes herself over your back, pressing her own body up against yours tightly. “Do the ropes feel good?” whispers Qilin seductively. She twitches her finger and the threads begin to bite into your skin gently, causing you to shiver.

Still giggling, Cao’er approaches you with that wooden horror of hers, turning the crank.

Round and round.

Up and down.

In and out.

You scream.

You open your eyes, sitting up with a start. Your clothes are wet with sweat… you hope that is all that they are wet with. You are back in your room on Maniac Island. Standing up, you walk over to the window. The island has changed a lot since you left it: the Minamoto have made it a much more lively and hospitable place to live in. Zhang Jue had knocked you out when he found you, and by the time you woke up, you were tied to the bottom of a carriage on its way south. Qilin and Cao’er had been sent off to see what they could do for Abbess Miecao and Qi Liuwu, but apparently they had told Master Zhang that since he refused to take them with him, they would visit Maniac Island later to find you.

You step out of the mansion, and into the garden. You see the former Emperor tending the plants caringly and happily, convinced that he is in paradise… you cannot believe that this was the same man that tortured his greatest general over immortality. You had recounted your encounter with Yang Xue to Master Zhang, but strangely enough he seemed to be unconcerned about the whole affair, even when you told him of the techniques Yang Xue left behind; you had expected him to be interested in those, at least.

A carrier dove flies overhead, reminding you that you had asked Yoriwaka to convey a message to Shun about the Tufan plot soon after your arrival. Your royal friend had replied that he would look into it. That would be his business to deal with, you suppose.

For now, you had a test to take.

Though, rather than a test, it felt more like an assignment. Master Zhang had tasked you with creating your own training regimen: it would take as long as you liked. If you wished, he had said, you could stay here for five years until you felt ready to leave the island. However, the both of you knew that the world would move on without you, and that you had other commitments you had to keep.

In that way, it is a test: a test of how much time you are willing to give up to devote to training. For Master Zhang the answer would be simple – he would devote as much time as was necessary, regardless of how the world turned… but he is asking for your answer, not his.

“I would have expected you to demand that I reach the same answer as you, Master,” you said.

“You are not me,” he replied. “Your adventures out in the world have showed me that much.” He paused, before continuing. “I encountered Wang Zhengchong shortly before he fought the Fire Temple’s master.”

You grinned. “So that is why you are using this approach?”

Zhang only smiled sinisterly, looking down at you. “Come to your own conclusions about the path you must take.”

That was yesterday. You look at the untamed jungle, wondering what you should do next.

Then, you hear a shout from behind you. Turning, you see Qilin and Cao’er running towards you, waving and smiling.

Cao’er is holding something…

Create your own training package:

Basic weapons training

1. Intensive basic axe training. (Axe +4, 1 month)

2. Intensive basic bow training. (Bow +4, 1 month)

3. Intensive basic saber training. (Saber +4, 1 month)

4. Intensive basic spear training. (Spear +4, 1 month)

5. Intensive basic thrown weapons training. (Thrown Weapons +4, 1 month)

Training of miscellaneous skills

6. Practice art with Zhang Jue. (Artistic Skill +2, 2 months)

7. Have Cao’er teach you more about herbalism. (Herbalism +1, 2 months)

8. ‘Practice’ sleight-of-hand with Qilin... (Sleight-of-Hand +1, 1 month)

9. Undergo sneaking training with Yoriwaka. (Sneak +2, 3 months)

10. Intensive traps training with the tigers. (Traps +4, 1 months)

11. Intensive drinking sessions with the Minamoto clan. (Drinking +2, 1 month)

12. Peruse Zhang’s library and pursue self-study. (Scholarly Knowledge +1, 1 month)

Advanced combat skills and techniques

13. Intensive sword training with Zhang Jue (Sword +1, 2 months)

14. Intensive hand-to-hand combat sessions with Zhang Jue. (Unarmed +1, 6 months)

15. Learn the rare Minamoto-style Kenjutsu focusing on quick draws and flowing attacks from Yorimitsu. (+1 Sword, 3 months)

16. Learn the Fanfeng Feixue Sword technique devised to counter Huashan. (+1 Sword, 3 months)

17. Learn the Wuni Fist technique devised to counter Shaolin. (3 months)

18. Improve your understanding of the Chuzhan Fist technique. (2 months)

19. Improve your understanding of the Shouwang Mad Claws technique. (2 months)

20. Train to create a new self-taught sword technique based off the Yuchang Sword. (+1 Sword, 3 months)

21. Attempt to learn a random new technique of Zhang Jue’s choosing, that he created from his travels in Nippon. (2 months)

22. Further improve your mastery of Reikan by training with Yoriwaka. (+1 Reikan PER, 1 month)

23. Learn Wudu Fushun: animal handling and rearing from Qilin. (2 months)

24. Further improve your handling of Ruanhong Zhusuo, the spider silk threads. (2 months)

Outer and inner training

25. Undergo strenuous neigong training to unlock your potential (Neigong +2, 6 months, Yuanshi Hundun now gives +2 to STR, AGI and END)

26. Learn how to absorb qi from other people at a faster rate by ‘practicing’ with Qilin and Cao’er. (3 months)

27. Focus on qinggong practice by running around the island with the tigers, naked. (Qinggong +2, 6 months, Kuanglang Step now gives +2 to agility and increased ability to shrug off grabs)

28. Intensive strength training. (+1 STR, 5 months)

29. Intensive perception training. (+1 PER, 5 months)

30. Intensive endurance training. (+1 END, 5 months)

31. Intensive charisma training. (+1 CHA, 5 months)

32. Intensive intelligence training. (+1 INT, 5 months)

33. Intensive agility training. (+1 AGI, 5 months)

34. Pray to the gods for better luck. (???)

35. Learn Yuhe Finger from Cao'er. (3 months)

*Note: only one +1 sword bonus can be obtained even if you pick multiple sword techniques. +1 sword does not stack except with sword training and one (1) technique.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How pressing is the situation in the world? What are the news about the Fire Temple? When does our invitation expire? When is the prince going to claim his toll? What is Shun's opinion on this external threat? Will we be able to react to it in time? What of the Abbess' condition?

It is tempting to train for as long as possible, but do we have the time for that? Training for 3 years only to find out there is no China anymore would be rather disappointing.

We can't be going full recluse without any contact with the outside world? Surely Cao'er and Qilin would come and go as they please, and they are bound to bring news.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    1,8>9>11,20>14,27>25.

No luck increase. EVER.

*braces for inevitable torrent of DISCUSS!*

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What I am talking about is, ok, if no spoilers are allowed, then at least please hint at certain deadlines.

Like, some major events that we might want to hear of are going to happen in 6 months time, or in a year, or maybe somewhere in-between.

It is very hard to choose meaningfully otherwise.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Better for you guys to come up with some packages, then vote on that, I figure.

As for things going on in the world, if you stay quiet on your island there will not be any massive, irreversible changes (from my point of view) till the third year in which the Huashan Summit arrives, but whether or not you want to train up to then and beyond, or jump back into the plot earlier, is up to you. There will be minor events from a narrative perspective that might yield good power-ups out in the world, but I won't reveal when those are going to happen. Also, devoting your time to training also means more time for your enemies to entrench themselves, and less time building good relationships with the various factions. Or spoiling those relationships, as it may.

^ Top  
  12. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol:
    That awkward moment when you wake up on Maniac Island and your first thought is "I'm safe!"

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    4 - Let's hope we come across Yang Xue one day and after we feed Bai Jiutan to him, he teaches us that Manly Spear. Seriously that is THE most powerful techinque we encountered up till now, at least from what treave said.
    9 - Sneaking will one day save our life. Or end someone's life. Really, sneaking has so many applications it would be a shame to pass it.
    14 - Let's maximize that unarmed skill
    21 - Random things usually come of for the best
    25 - Seems the most combat oriented

All in all 1 year and a half. Also please don't go over 2 years, guys. We might miss on things.

EDIT: However if we have about 3 years until irreversible changes happen

I would also add:

8 - Sleight of hand seems useful combined with sneak
    26 - we can't have enough of that "practice"
    22 - Our perception is really horrible
    24 - We have used them on nearly every occasion up till now, and would go good with the Sleight of hand upgrade.
    19 - goes good with the unarmed maximization

It really all depends how fast changes happen, after some DISCUSS!!! and seeing what you guys vote, I'll consider if we should train for only 1 year and a half or 2-3 years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    This is going to take a long time...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'd rather stay under 1 year. We train pretty fast on our own.

Outer and inner training is the most important here. The rest is nice, but superficial.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I like the sound of this.

^ Top  
  17. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Maybe we should vote first how long we want to train and after that choose skills? 0-0.5, 0.5-1, 1-2 years and so on?

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes, not only it sounds hilarious, but the practical applications of the choice are obvious for a lighning fast fighter like Jing.
    Besides, it's faster to master. I am liking it very much.

But damn, 25 looks tasty, too.

1 year sounds very reasonable.

1 month + 2 months + 3 months + 6 months, or 1 month + 2 months + 6 months + 3 months.

Spending more feels greedy to me. We have gone from +5 Unarmed to +7 in half a year on our own.

^ Top  
  19. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Well Kipeci, here's our chance to become a badass swordsman.

This is a lot of choice, so let's first narrow things down into what we don't want. Also, we should DISCUSS!!! a limit in terms of time-frame. For example, we definitely should not spend more than a year on training, IMO. Even that is probably too much, in fact. But let's stick to that time limit for now so that we can organize things better. I think we should forget about basic weapons training and stick to Swords and Unarmed. I don't have much interest in branching out and there are way too many cool options here.

The only miscellaneous skill option that really interests me is Artistic Skill, so we can fulfill our :obviously: destiny, but a two month investment seems a lot to bump up our skills from a paltry 2 --> 4.

Given our recent encounter with Bai Jiutian, we definitely should go for the counter-Huashan Sword technique. We are bound to be in conflict with them sooner or later, and having Zhang's technique to fall back on will be a tremendous help for us, even if that technique remains untested. I am also feeling a bit willing to roll the dice on this, so I'd like to see what techniques Zhang has cooked up from his trip to Nippon.

As for the outer and inner training, that is the most crucial part. Since it demands a huge time investment, we should probably only pick 1 choice from this section. A time investment of half a year is a big deal.

As a result, I am tentatively going with 13, 16, 21, 25. I'm going with the qinggong upgrade because we have neglected improving that particular skill for quite a while now. Overall, this build will give us +2 SWORDS and a solid base in swordsmanship, plus we'd be taking advantage of the Sword Saint's cap-increasing technique. The random technique from Zhang is a two month investment, but I think it has potential to give us a real gem.

The inner and outer training choice is definitely the toughest, and I'm much less certain about this, but I think we ought to shore up our qinggong skills further. If we go for a stat boost choice, I am leaning towards END so that we can heal up quicker if/when we get hurt again. What benefits would an END boost confer upon a living qi battery like Jing, treave? Could we utilize our qi more safely that way?

Overall, my setup here would require an investment of 1 year, 1 month. Just over the limit, I know, but still somewhat reasonable.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Nasty? 25 is an absolute must for us.
    I think another 1.5 years should be enough, neiggong+mastering our unarmed technique+qi drain+a sword technique with +1 sword. Or we can go to twenty months and learn a Lord Zhang's special surprise.

I understand the rush to get back out there 'just in time,' but we really have to make the most of our time here and pick up the rarest and most difficult skills. It's a tough sacrifice to make, but some things we really must sacrifice time for.

On a side note, treave, was Cao'er able to do anything for the Abbess and Qi Liuwu.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It gives you greater durability so you don't tear yourself to pieces as quickly when your qi runs wild. Also you can kick Vairya for longer before you break your own leg.

And take as much time as you want to discuss, guys. As much time as you want.

Edit: Abbess is awake but weakened because of her age and Qi is still armless. You can go chat them up when you leave.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Not to go all +1 SWORDS here, but I really do think we ought to invest in Swords, in large part due to our natural potential, and partially due to the awesome technique that Shangguan gave us. You just can't let a skill with a cap of 9 be neglected.

^ Top  
  23. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm just unwilling to neglect our neiggong, it is our most valuable asset as a fighter. And if you're saying we can't ignore a skill with a cap of nine, well, our neiggong cap is fifteen. That, and sucking BJ dry faster will be a good way to take the prig down.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As long as it does not take more than a year, I am fine with it.

Also, you might want to look at the chart again:
    Because this is not 26.

True.

So how about leeching it from others? Is it possible to raise the level that way? Or do we have to drain people to death?

^ Top  
  25. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    I prefer if we invest in unarmed and let Yandi with the swords. We already have a ton of unarmed techniques, one of which is maximized (the kick), and the other we can probably maximize here and now (the claws). We could maximize unarmed faster than swords and then focus on swords on our off time while relying on unarmed in serious fights.

Also I think we could top swords if we go for all sword upgrades, but the bad thing with swords is that...well we need a sword, and a sword is something we can lose or can't carry just about everywhere. While our fists and legs are always with us (if they aren't then we're in deep shit, anyways)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.