Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
Starting to break into the actual mountain of discuss now... what is this about a one year limit?
Basically, everyone's convinced that as soon as we leave Maniac Island we're going to start getting chances for even more impressive boosts in an even shorter timeframe, based on all the stuff Jing has managed to pick up in the last six months. I'm not sure how well the logic holds up that we're denying ourselves cool stuff on our adventures by getting cool stuff on Maniac Island, but that's basically the reason why I restricted my picks to 24 months at the outside.

Kipeci

Arcane
You'll have 10 cap with swords eventually, but only 8 with Unarmed. :?

Missed this.

With my plan, the cap for both are respectively 10 and 9, and I think that could be fudged a little upward as we have with perception for pressure points and so on because my plan would also obscenely increase the stat boosts that Jing gets from his neigong and so on. I see no reason to limit outselves to his current stat cap when the options to boost agility and strength are right there presented with no other penalty than in the time we have plenty of when treave said we'd get precious few chances to advance them.

As I understood it, going with moves that are over the limit can cause internal injuries that can harm us. And an increase in END increases that limit, so that we can pull off moves safely that might otherwise harm us if we were less sturdy.
And I understand you reasoning, I just disagree that increasing endurance from 5 to 6 is going to make that much of a difference, if we need to go all out we are still going to end up hurting ourself regardless. Given that other benefits of endurance are already covered by inner strength and qi leeching and that we have removed our inner strength limit, well endurance from 5 to 6 is just not an attractive option for me at this point for this price.

Maybe we all really should just shut the fuck up and vote on a timeframe first?
Indeed. This is quickly turning into page after page of discuss with nothing to show from it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, I am willing to go for 14-15 months (just barely), but absolutely against 19+. Where does that put me?
Yeah, let's make this like character creation: two two-day voting periods, on for a time limit in six month increments, and another for the actual skills. As it is, we're all just going to go down to retardoland.
treave, is that acceptable?

Esquilax

Arcane
Now, I know that Esquilax will argue that +END is doing just that. No, it isn't. It will help, sure, but it is not a necessity. +AGI will help, +STR will help, +Unarmed will help - there are lots of things to make life easier. But I'd rather go for something I know our enemies do not have and do not expect. Foreign techs, qi leeching, anything that has an element of surprise in it.

Relying on novelty isn't really a great way to build a fighting style. People know who we are, so unless you have actual skill and ability to back it up, your gimmicks aren't going to help you for long. People are going to figure out what techniques we rely on quickly, so you just need to be a good martial artist to make them work, because people are eventually going to see your arsenal:

But does it even matter all that much in the long run? No. It really doesn't. If you're going to lose just because people know your techniques, you aren't a good fighter in the first place. Like Rong Jr. Things are going to get harder, of course, but it's not doom and gloom either.

The Grand Taoist became the greatest martial artist of his generation with a Taiji Fist and a Taiji Sword that people saw a million fucking times. Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't look for obscure techniques, but gimmicks are no substitute for an ability to maximize the effectiveness of one of our biggest assets - our neigong - by improving our overall endurance.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tribute said:
I'm not sure how well the logic holds up that we're denying ourselves cool stuff on our adventures by getting cool stuff on Maniac Island, but that's basically the reason why I restricted my picks to 24 months at the outside.
Look at what is available on the Maniac Island for a price of 6 months. Then look at this list. Then compare.
Yes, every month spent here is a month not spent out there.
Also, I believe there is a lot of unfinished stuff to do. If we go early, we might discredit Wuxung and put him out of the run for the title of the Great completely. Or we can go check on Yunzi, because she invited us, and it really is not polite to say you'll come by and disappear for two years. Or we can go and check that Mao Sanjiao, because do you think his work for the Eunuchs is done? We can be achieving something instead of sitting here.

Kipeci

Arcane
Basically, everyone's convinced that as soon as we leave Maniac Island we're going to start getting chances for even more impressive boosts in an even shorter timeframe, based on all the stuff Jing has managed to pick up in the last six months. I'm not sure how well the logic holds up that we're denying ourselves cool stuff on our adventures by getting cool stuff on Maniac Island, but that's basically the reason why I restricted my picks to 24 months at the outside.

That seems... pretty unlikely. Treve said that stat and skill boosts would dry up as time went on and learning techniques gradually took their place, I'm sure that being trained by Zhang Jue for months on end is more likely to result in proper bonuses than dicking around half of China for years.

At least, for the bonuses I want, in strength, unarmed skill, and agility. They already started drying up-- notice how we got no benefit for facing Vahista while boosts were handed out all the time for much simpler opponents earlier? We'd have gotten +1 SWORD for facing him the other way, but that one was relatively undertrained anyway.

Anyway, time constraints! I'm thinking that we should devote no less than two and a half years (30 months) and no more than two years and eleven months (35 months) to training, whatever slot that puts me down for. It's long enough to get a proper training out of Zhang Jue for the moment yet short enough that we could actually attend the Huashan Summit as well as maybe go on a sidequest or two. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not spending two years in sidequestland with as long as that dragged out this past chapter.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
My personal max limit on training is 26 months, but I am fine with less.

We have to ask what do we want from this training?

- Do we want to become as powerful fighter as we can during our training and be cut off from world for some time?
- Do we want polish mostly our sword fighting?
-Do we want to augment our Unarmed skills?

etc,etc-

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
I'm more interested in mastering unarmed and our supernatural capabilities than I am in learning sword techniques. I'm sure they're lovely, but fighting BJ with a sword is foolish. We're a master unarmed fighter, and unarmed is every bit as powerful as swordfighting in Wuxia. With this package we'll be incedibly fast and hit like a freight train, and we'll have almost flawless technique as we do it. A thousand blows that each steal a fraction of the target's Qi can be devastatingly effective.
  • 14 6 Months (Unarmed)
  • 22 1 Month (Reikan)
  • 25 6 Months (Neigong)
  • 26 3 Months (Qi Stealing)
  • 27 6 Months (Qiggong)
I am sorely tempted by Zhang's mystery technique and an improvment to our claws, but this is already a very lengthy training regimen.

If we're voting time, I vote 18-24 months.

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
That seems... pretty unlikely. Treve said that stat and skill boosts would dry up as time went on and learning techniques gradually took their place, I'm sure that being trained by Zhang Jue for months on end is more likely to result in proper bonuses than dicking around half of China for years.
In 6 months, we've learned 5 completely new techniques and have upgraded 3.

List anything similar from what Zhang can teach you in 6 months.

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, put me down for 12-18 months. We have a Turfan fag to investigate and an invitation from Yunzi to attend to.

Nevill

Arcane
Put me at 6-12>12-18. 18 is a stretch for me still.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, I'll compile the votes when I get on an actual PC. Anyone voting for packages will be put down in said package's timeframe.

Kipeci

Arcane
Okay, well, if those are the ranges you're putting them in, I vote for 30-36 months of training.

In 6 months, we've learned 5 completely new techniques and have upgraded 3.

List anything similar from what Zhang can teach you in 6 months.

I don't care about the techniques for now, I care about the stats and skill. When those are sufficiently high enough, techniques will naturally flow forth-- techniques from Jing, mind you, not by necessity his teachers as must happen if he's not sufficiently skilled or buffed in stats. Going by my plan puts Jing firmly in the master tier of combat and gives greater room to grow in his skill. I'd rather build a firm base than languish forever in sidequest hell like we've been doing.

Absinthe

Arcane
12 for me too, but I'm already opposed to this kind of voting. You think you're getting solutions, but you're really just substituting one voting clusterfuck for two voting clusterfucks.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't care about the techniques for now, I care about the stats and skill. When those are sufficiently high enough, techniques will naturally flow forth-- techniques from Jing, mind you, not by necessity his teachers as must happen if he's not sufficiently skilled or buffed in stats. Going by my plan puts Jing firmly in the master tier of combat and gives greater room to grow in his skill. I'd rather build a firm base than languish forever in sidequest hell like we've been doing.

If you have no martial arts techniques then you can still get the shit kicked out of you. As for skills, look at how much we have improved in our Unarmed Skill, Swords (the fight against Guo Fu) and countless other skills since we left Yinhu Island last time. As much as I am in support of improving our END stat, I'm only doing so in service of maximizing the asset that is our neigong. Techniques matter a lot and Nevill makes a great point that we've managed to progress a ton in a very short period of time. Staying here for over a year is probably good, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns as you stick around for techniques that you don't really need but think are cool.

Don't be surprised if the likes of Bai Jiutian, Yunzi and Guo Fu manage to surpass us because they've actually been out there doing shit.

Baltika9

Arcane
12 for me too, but I'm already opposed to this kind of voting. You think you're getting solutions, but you're really just substituting one voting clusterfuck for two voting clusterfucks.
+M
Haters gonna hate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom