Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I would prefer not to kill Bai Jiutian. He'd kind of a dick and he doesn't think much of us, but from what we've seen of him he's a fundamentally decent sort of guy. He's also very skilled.

Given we've got 8 in Unarmed, are we at the level where we can modify our techniques to be less lethal without losing effectiveness?

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    No one's, hopefully, since we have two regular squeezes now and can potentially get a third. I'd be okay with Jing staying in his own body and having regular foursomes.
    That's pretty sexist and not gender-equal. What if BJ is genderqueer?

^ Top  
  3. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    I also prefer not to kill the guy.

He might been dick to us, but we also have been dick to his sect and most likely been dick to one of his harem members. So far it seems that he isn't part of douchbag generations sect leaders plan to do something. However I am all for killing him for self defense or if we can't find a way past him to reach whatever goal we have then.

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    No pray wins, I think. And I can't get this out in time without cutting down on the filler, so there we go. You're going to have to bear with the lack of details for a bit, but I think everything important should be in there. Next update should be better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    Depends on his willingness to share the Huashan twins.

^ Top  
  6. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Xu Jing and Bai Jiutian don't like each other because their personalities don't mesh, but there are legitimate bastards out there we need to be dealing with. Hell, from what I can tell he's not even a very big fan of the head of his sect. Though I may have interpreted some things wrong.

I remember Esquilax being all MUST DESTROY ALL HUASHAN not too long ago, though, so not sure how we're gonna go there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Fruit of Two Years

You lounge on one of the highest branches of the tall tree lazily, enjoying the cool breeze. This far south, the winters are temperate, far different from the biting cold of the north. It has been nearly two years since you returned to the island and devoted yourself to your training. You deserve a rest once in a while.

The leaves sway in a different direction, and your eyes snap open.

It is not the wind.

Rolling over on the spot, you cling to the branch and peer down.

Master Zhang is there, a jovial smile on his face. ”We have a guest. You should come back to the mansion.”

Before you can get to your feet, he draws his arm back and drives it into the trunk with a tremendous shout.

The tree, wide enough that you could barely put your arms around it, sways. There is a cracking, splintering sound as the wood breaks apart where your master had hit it. He is not waiting for it to hit the ground. As the tree begins to fall, its attraction to the earth slowly pulling it downwards, Zhang Jue leaps onto the trunk and begins running towards you.

Keeping your balance easily, you raise yourself to a crouch and leap to meet him. The two of you exchange a few blows as a greeting move, trading and blocking claws and kicks. Leveraging your higher position on the falling tree, you make a somersault, attempting to nail Zhang with an Earth Splitting Lightning Descent. A disdainful sneer crosses his face as he reads your move, grabbing your ankle before your heel crashes into his forehead. “Try harder,” he says simply.

“Whoa!” You shout in alarm as he pushes you backwards roughly. It looks like he is going to smash you into the tree as it hits the ground; you do not think you want to take this sort of punishment just yet. You attempt a Floating Lightning, kicking your other foot into the air in an upwards thrust. Zhang narrowly evades your kick, leaning backwards while gripping tightly onto your ankle, but you have gotten into position. Standing on your hands, you use your Shouwang Claws to dig your fingers into the tree’s trunk. You twist your torso, your claws still locked into the wood. The force you generate tears your fingers free of the trunk as you spin, and it is enough to make your master to let go of your leg.

You jump away from the tree and Zhang as it crashes into the forest floor loudly. However, it seems like he has no intention of letting you go that easily, however. His claw smashes into your chest, as Zhang executes the Bloody Diamond Horn. You are flung backwards violently, only coming to a rest when your back meets another tree in a painful collision. You get to your feet quickly, gritting your teeth through the pain and spitting out the blood in your mouth. Just in time.

Zhang throws another Bloody Diamond Horn at you, and you have no time except to respond with the same. Claw meets claw: the force of the impact pushes you back against the tree, but your arm holds even though you feel like it may shatter any moment. You pull back as soon as you can, weaving in a way that allows you to retaliate with the Elusive Claws of the Hidden Tiger before escalating to the Raging Claws. The surrounding greenery begins to get shredded from the force of the attacks as you battle your master.

Even though your qi-absorption prevents you from growing tired with such rapid expenditure of energy, exchanging moves with Zhang like this can only lead to your defeat. You can feel him gradually cornering you with his superior skill, forcing you into an inevitable mistake.

You shift up the pattern of your attack, mixing in the first move of the Xianglong Palms. Successfully nudging away Zhang’s claws, you draw your wodao in a quick slash before returning it to its sheath. Zhang hops back with a laugh and draws his own sword, one that he occasionally carries around.

“So, who is here, Master?” you ask with your bloodied mouth, blocking his strike with the scabbard of your wodao. With one smooth movement you draw the curved sword and attack simultaneously, but Zhang shifts his body to one side with casual ease, allowing your slash to pass by him harmlessly. “Go and see for yourself,” he replies, retaliating with a merciless series of jabs that drive you back as you deflect his sword thrusts rapidly with the wodao, reining your qi in so that you do not make a fatal miss in your defense.

The way to the mansion is, of course, behind him.

With a grin, he presses the attack. Unable to find an easy opening, you crouch and spring towards him, the Yuchang Sword dropping from your sleeve into your hand. The sudden appearance of a second sword causes Zhang to miss half a beat as his instincts cause him to be on guard, and you take advantage of it without hesitation. You slash upwards, knocking away his sword. Pivoting on your feet, you swing around and cut at him with the wodao in your other hand. “Ha, that is too naïve!” he laughs. He raises his elbow and drives it down on the blade of your sword before it reaches him. As you lose your balance, you see his sword coming towards you, filled with killing intent. You kick off the ground, turning your fall into a spin that carries you away from Zhang.

“Come on, master, give me a break,” you complain. As you try to regain your balance, Zhang charges at you. You make a clumsy strike with the Yuchang Sword to ward him off, but it falls short. Zhang grabs the advantage as he swings, and you twirl the short blade. “The Deceptive Fish Stab?” he grins, angling his sword to push aside the second thrust that was meant to hit him as he falls for the feint. “You are too smart, Master,” you say, as his stab knocks away your Yuchang Sword and comes straight for your chest. Then, he notices it all too late: the second feint, used to hide your sheathing of the wodao. You focus, and at the last possible second, draw your blade. Committed to the attack, even Zhang Jue will find it hard to retract his move. The curved sword slices through the air and towards your master’s arm.

If he does not block it, you could cut it clean off.

He does.

Somehow, your master manages to maneuver his sword back into a defensive position, shouting from the effort. The force of your blow knocks the sword from his hand, but for now he is safe. Before you can recover from your move, he reaches out and traps the wodao between his arm and body.

Realizing your peril, you instinctively let go of the sword, but it is too late.

You see him visibly breathe in. Too late, you realize the technique he is about to use: one of the moves that he perfected abroad.

Zhang Jue shouts – no, roars to the heavens so loudly that you cannot do anything but freeze up; you can almost imagine it is loud enough to be heard on the mainland. A powerful wave of pressure blasts you away at the same time. The last time he did it, he collapsed the Minamoto village. The Xiongshi Violent Roar (雄狮暴吼, Manly Lion’s Violent Roar) was a technique you had yet to find a proper counter for.

You sink to your knees, your ears ringing and your legs numb from the sonic assault even as dead birds drop to the ground around you.

Perhaps one day they will learn to fly around the island.

As Zhang walks towards you, you force yourself back to your feet, the both of you grinning at each other. The light sparring isn’t over yet.

You stagger into the main hall of the mansion, bloodied from your beating by Zhang.

“Just returned from your daily exercise?”

Chi Tianxie is sitting there drinking tea. You nod, wobbling your way over to a chair and dropping into it with a groan. “So,” you begin, “I suppose you are the guest that my master spoke of?” He nods, confirming your words.

“Did you come to see Qilin?” you ask.

He grins affably.

“No, I came for you. You see, I was wondering just how long you were going to drag this whole situation out.”

You understand which situation he is talking about, and gulp nervously.

“Oh, no, there is no rush,” he laughs, trying to calm you down. “It is just that, as a father, I would be more at ease if I knew when the two of you plan to settle down and give me some grandchildren.”

“Dad!” Qilin enters the hall carrying a tub of water, frowning at her father. She has taken to tying her hair up in a pony-tail nowadays. “I have told you many times that both of us aren’t ready yet,” she says, admonishing Chi Tianxie. Turning to you, she sets the tub down, picking up the cloth floating inside and wringing it. She begins to tenderly minister to your wounds.

“Alright, marriage is one thing, it’s just a ceremony, but where are the grandchildren after two years? What is wrong? Is Jing impotent? Are there any problems there?” Chi Tianxie asks his questions quickly with what seems to be genuine concern, but it causes Qilin to press down hard on your wounds as she suddenly turns red. It amazes you, considering how forward she is at other times.

You and Qilin spend the rest of the day explaining to an unconvinced Chi Tianxie of the precautions you take and why, but it seems that his patience is slowly starting to wear thin, regardless of what he says…

“Let’s make a run for it,” says an annoyed Qilin later that night. “If we stay here, he’s going to keep pestering us. Your training is complete, right?”

You nod. “Yes, I was planning to leave in the next week or so anyway.”

“…where will we be going?” asks Cao’er, looking up from her books.

“Hah,” snorts Qilin, “there is only one place our darling here is going to go right after he gets his freedom. We’re going to visit the Holy Maiden, right?”

“I am concerned about the Fire Temple,” you say, looking away from her. “Shun is still keeping an eye on the Tufan, but it appears as if they have not made any major moves in the past two years.”

“Oh, you are so cute when you lie,” she grins, putting her arms around you. “Well, no matter. I will just get my fill of you while I don’t have to share you with even more women…”

You do not get much sleep that night.

The Fire Temple of Gushnap is located near the Tang-Tufan border, high up in the mountains. With the instructions given by Yunzi, you had little trouble locating the place… though you wonder if she is still there.

When you arrive, you find a place more akin to a fortress than a temple, surrounded by many village houses. The gates are open, but guarded.

“Who goes there?” The guard appears to be of Han origin. You gesture to Qilin and Cao’er to stay where they are, wrapped in their thick clothing, and approach the guard.

“I am a pilgrim, sir,” you say. “I wanted to visit the Great Fire Temple of Gushnap, so that I may worship at the fire’s glory.”

The guard stares at you a while before saying, “Lord Vairya has ordered that worship services are temporarily closed.”

“Why is that?”

He frowns at being asked for an explanation, but does so anyway.

“Our Holy Maiden has just departed for Dukezong. She will be back in two weeks’ time, and Lord Vairya has decreed a temporary hiatus on worship,” he says curtly.

“Really?” You pretend to be excited. As far as you know, Dukezong is a major Tufan city, and the current seat of their royalty now that Lhasa is taken by their rivals. “What is the event?”

“A competition, and a betrothal of some sort. Look, if you have nothing to do, please move on,” sighs the guard. You thank him and back away: it seems that the guard is already getting slightly suspicious. It looks like Yunzi isn’t here at the moment…

A. You settle down and wait for Yunzi here. From the looks of it, Xsaora Vairya may be the one in charge here while she is gone. While she is not around, perhaps you can poke around the Fire Temple and try to understand more of their people, as well as attempt to uncover any secrets they may be hiding here.

B. You head to Dukezong, three days south of here. If the Tufan are planning an engagement and competition of some sort, it is the perfect opportunity and excuse for you to sneak in and get involved. It’s not exactly like you are going there for Yunzi’s sake, but you are rather intrigued by what the Tufan have in mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  8. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Well crap.

Tentatively voting B for the following reasons: Jing has a tendency to meddle, this "betrothal" business might be nothing or it might be them trying to marry off Yunzi, and this "competition" business sounds interesting. Might be an opportunity to improve our skills.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    This is a no-Brainer.

^ Top  
  10. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I was joking. But, we did get to see some of Bai Jiutian's true colours showing for a second:

There's definitely more to him than what his public persona suggests. I don't have anything solid, but a possibility is that Jiutian was hoping that he could take the crown for himself, seeing that he's so skilled and respected at his young age. In fact, he might be jealous that it was Nie Wuxing that was picked and not him. Of course, it's hard to say without knowing much about Bai Jiutian too well, but I think that there's defnitely a dark side to him that's different from the mask he wears around an audience. It would definitely explain the narcissism.

Anyways, this is a tough choice - a chance to increase our martial arts skill and a chance to increase our harem. It's a heartbreaker. I always had hopes of busting into Yunzi's wedding ceremony with Ahura and breaking it up like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate:

But goddamnit, I'm too pumped up and invested in being THE GREATEST PUGILIST EVAR

Voting A, but I could easily flop. I want to fight Rob Halford, goddamnit.

I misread, apparently the competition is also in B. In that case, B, competing with our signature pig mask.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well I am torn, it would be great to hang out at the Cult and learn martial arts from the guardian of METAL but we really should see if the Tufan are up to something, also it seems there will be some sort of competition which it may be worthwhile to compete in or at least watch.

It may give us an idea of the strength of the warriors we may have to fight in case of an invasion.

If we do crash the competition we should go in, in disguise with an assumed name... maybe even Nameless... turnabout is fair play after all. :troll:

Also Yunzi...

So B I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I don't really see how A translates to more martial-arts skill, at least as worded. It seems to mostly be sneaking around and learning about their culture.

^ Top  
  13. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    A. I'm sure that the betrothal is unrelated, we'd have to be pretty unlucky.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Well, Yunzi is their holy maiden. She may just be presiding over the ceremony.

^ Top  
  15. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I misread it. I thought the update meant that prayer services were suspended because the Fire Cult was hosting a tournament, not the Turfan, but that's not the case.

^ Top  
  16. Random Word Arbiter Patron

Random Word
    MCA Project: Eternity
    C: Turn around immediately, return to Maniac Island, and spend two months learning the Xiongshi Violent Roar (雄狮暴吼, Manly Lion’s Violent Roar).

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    What, we're not going to take the opportunity to finally be the tiger-wolf? Considering her Ashina roots it might be an appropriate statement.

^ Top  
  18. asxetos Augur

asxetos
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    And I am sure we can't possibly be. :)
    If you phrased that as "we'd have to be quite lucky to catch up to Yunzi just before her betrothal", then I would at least have some doubts left.

Anyway, I don't think Jing is a sort of a guy who can hear about a competition and decide to pass by. Besides, we came for Yunzi, and she isn't here, so...

B.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Looks like we got here just in the nick of time. There is only one real choice:

^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I'll just be contrArian here. +M

^ Top  
  22. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Every vote for A makes Baby Jesus cry.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You did not pray, so what is the suffering of the Gods to you, dirty atheist?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    The Chinese Gods? Nothing.
    Baby Jesus is a descendant of Ean, so I care for him more than the Celestials.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    A
    Time to met not blood related brother of ZJ

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.