Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is true that a full tournament arc would eat up a lot of updates for a prize Jing isn't actually terribly interested in.
Or they are so below our level that we are done with them in two. The sect's best disciples aren't even there.

This is all a load of wash. Last time we thought we would be dropping any second now because OMG THEY WILL KNOW OUR TECHS, until it turned out it would actually be beneficial for us if we didn't. Get involved, and see what to do from there. Gathering rumors on the streets when 50% of the people here don't even speak Han does not seem like good use of time to me.

We might want to pay a visit to Yunzi with 2C, just to know what is going on and if we want someone else than us winning.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well the problems with the marriage as I see them would be that it will eat up time, divide Jing's loyalties and possibly cost us Yunzi and the chance to actually marry into the most MANLY family in the known world.

I mean we probably will like the princess (unless she turns out to be a complete shrew) which will make it much harder to break her heart when we have to betray her to support Shun since from what little we know her brother is gradually building up to war.

It is also possible that she is interested in one of the competitors already in which case we would be pulling a GFF by trying to add her to our harem, a very dickish move. And if our primary motivation is to troll then we can do that from outside the tournament as well so I am not too concerned about that. So ultimately I think it would be better to not put ourselves in that position to begin with.

Rex Feral said:
In the last battle we can drop dead, or something, I don't care.

Except we won't. We said the same thing all throughout the YTT, and in the end Codex could not do it. We will not end up throwing a fight, which gives us a good chance to win and marry the princess which will distract us from the laudable goal of seducing Yunzi.

There will be plenty of chances to brutalize people, hell something will probably happen during the wedding to provoke a war or something. There is however only the one Yunzi and when she is gone, she is gone. :lol:

Kipeci

Arcane
Who says that a tournament thing has to eat up that much time? If it's against opponents of note, then sure, the fight is regarded in full glory. If not, then we skip past them with a little paragraph about how they were tossed out of the ring, as happened in the tournament in the combo matches after the first one.

Anyway, I flop to A3C > AxC > AxBx it would be the proper thing to meet up with Yunzi (though we may be crippled by her guards).

Tribute

Arbiter
I think "pay a personal visit to Yunzi" is a good idea regardless. She'd know a lot more about what's going on here than we do.

Nevill

Arcane
I flop to A2C > AxC > AxA2.
I will register and decide what to do from there. But I still want to add shameless to our name. :(

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I will register and decide what to do from there. But I still want to add shameless to our name. :(
Actually, how's this for a new pseudonym, to troll/court Yunzi:
Shameless+Wolf Mask+go in bare-chested, with the Ashina Amulet dangling from our neck.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
It is also possible that she is interested in one of the competitors already in which case we would be pulling a GFF by trying to add her to our harem, a very dickish move.
If she likes someone, we can learn who he is and influence the outcome accordingly. It would be easier if we participate.

Fangshi said:
And if our primary motivation is to troll then we can do that from outside the tournament as well so I am not too concerned about that.
Does not work half as well from the outside, I'm afraid. The best trolls Jing pulled were in the tournament.

Fangshi said:
So ultimately I think it would be better to not put ourselves in that position to begin with.
No way Jing turns his tail when there is a good fair fight to be had.

Actually, how's this for a new pseudonym, to troll/court Yunzi:
Shameless+Wolf Mask+go in bare-chested, with the Ashina Amulet dangling from our neck.
I am 100% behind this plan. Not sure about being bare-chested in winter, though. :D

Baltika9

Arcane
Fangshi said:
It is also possible that she is interested in one of the competitors already in which case we would be pulling a GFF by trying to add her to our harem, a very dickish move.
If she likes someone, we can learn who he is and influence the outcome accordingly. It would be easier if we participate.
:lol:
We are Xu Jing, she will fall in love at first sight. No, I 'm serious: I think that if we enter the competition, then it's a foregone conclusion that we will be marrying her.

Esquilax

Arcane
Hey, if you wanted to dedicate yourself to winning at the Summit, you should not have left Zhang to chase Yunzi.

But if we left Zhang to chase Yunzi, then we shouldn't be chasing after other princesses either. We've got our own to chase after, and she's in need of MTP lovin'. :yeah:

I think it would be hilarious if it turns out that the Tufan Prince just wants to organize stronger trade and has promoted literacy in Han to make trade and communication easier without any sort of ulterior motives:

Furthermore, you have gathered that this Prince Songtsen Tenzin appears to have promoted literacy in the Han language in his territory. On the surface, it seems to be a friendly move that would stimulate cultural exchange, trade, and various other opportunities, but you have also heard that this prince is a fan of Sun Wu’s Art of War.

Know your enemy.

Jing's paranoia and sexual depravity would make him into a fine Codexer. THE PRINCE READS BOOKS?! HE MUST BE UP TO SOMETHING! WHERE IS SHULGI?!?!

Nevill

Arcane
We are Xu Jing, she will fall in love at first sight. No, I 'm serious: I think that if we enter the competition, then it's a foregone conclusion that we will be marrying her.
Then Fangshi's point about 'Jing=GFF', which is highly manipulative, is invalid. :P
I am not afraid of marriage, but really, talk to Yunzi first and see what she has to say about the whole situation.
I bet there is more to it. There always is.
Meanwhile, place yourself at the best possible position to influence things. It should be obvious which one that is.

Esquilax said:
But if we left Zhang to chase Yunzi, then we shouldn't be chasing after other princesses either. We've got our own to chase after, and she's in need of MTP lovin'.
Is that what this is all about? 'If we participate in the tournament, we will lose Yunzi'?
Where is Shulgi when you need one? Then at least we would not have to be afraid of his shadow.

A bit of teasing goes a long way to ensure her tsunere heart will thaw.

Last edited:

profreshinal

Arcane
Can't we try winning the princess for Shun's harem? Back then there would be no problem marrying your daughter to improve relations with some neighbour.

Tribute

Arbiter
Winning her for Shun's harem is not a bad idea from a political perspective.

We don't want to get tied down to another large organization. For one thing, we're already going to be part of the Wudu Cult pretty soon. So that kind of means we shouldn't be taking her for ourselves.

Another question for treave: would entering as Shun's champion be insulting?

Nevill

Arcane
I don't know, the Wudu Cult wouldn't mind to have an in with two Emperors at once. Think of the profits!

But seriously, I want to participate, and I want to find out what's what. The princess is not really our focus for now, Yunzi is. She will be here until the end of the ceremony. Meanwhile, it would be strange to miss the main event if we bothered to come here at all. Especially if it is better at information gathering purposes than the supposed 'spying' option is:
Being a competitor might get you access to various sources of information that you would not find otherwise…

Seems like AxC to me. Or AxAx, if we want to surprise her.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A2A2>AxAx. We really need to participate. Shun will have send a spy here but if can't enter the competition, we can. Best way for us to learn what's going on is in the middle of things.

Tigranes

Arcane
Baltika is right - we either want to marry her, or we don't enter the competition (or throw it). Firstly, all the ways to avoid marrying her are rather silly - announce from the beginning that we don't want to marry her? Be Shun's champion? None of these are going to be even remotely acceptable. Furthermore, why is the competition so enticing that we're willing to risk marriage, or gravely insulting them and getting them on our back, etc., etc.? I don't even see what's the great benefit in entering then throwing at the end. Sure, it's a tournament, sure, it's a sidequest, but it seems like we're just in "Oh cool lets check it out" mode rather than any thoughtful assessment.

We're here for Yunzi, and that is also the route that will get us information. I don't see how being a normal participant gets us more info than getting into the exhibition match and/or getting in touch with Yunzi, the guest of honour. Let's go with that, i.e. Bx.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't care about the summit at all. They come and go and this time won't be our last chance to win. I would rather marry a princess and try to take the throne for Shun.

Baltika9

Arcane
I would rather marry a princess and try to take the throne for Shun.
You mean take the throne four ourselves, maybe? If we become a Turfag King, I see no reason not to just roll with it and create the Tibetan Empire.

Fangshi

Arcane
But twenty five years is a long time. I would rather be at the summit and try and grab a spot now when Zhang moves up to Central, we should try and grab South I think.

Nevill

Arcane
Tigranes said:
I don't see how being a normal participant gets us more info than getting into the exhibition match and/or getting in touch with Yunzi, the guest of honour.
I don't see these things as being exclusive. And the information you find might be of a different sort depending on where you gather it.

Regardless, I can't understand how not doing something might give you better rewards than doing it, when it comes to participating in a contest.

I want to test our skills. Maybe Tufans have someone on the level of Amesha Spenta. It is always good to know.

Baltika9

Arcane
I want to test our skills. Maybe Tufans have someone on the level of Amesha Spenta. It is always good to know.
Then that will be made obvious in the course of the tournament, it's nothing we can't ask about. And nothing we can't spot in a fight, either, you don't hide a power and competence like Rob Halford's.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't care about the summit at all. They come and go and this time won't be our last chance to win. I would rather marry a princess and try to take the throne for Shun.

You are quite patient if you're willing to wait a quarter century for the next chance to really hammer in our legacy as a Great Pugilist:

The five martial artists currently considered the greatest in the age are selected through a tournament on the summit of Mount Hua. The Huashan Sword Summit is usually conducted every twenty five years. All orthodox and unorthodox pugilists are allowed to apply. The martial artist designated 'Central' is considered the strongest pugilist.

The current five are:

Eastern Beggar: Qi Liuwu. (Beggar's Sect Head)

Western Snake: Tulu Huodu (Wudu Cult Leader)

Southern Maniac: Zhang Jue (Unaffiliated)

Northern Monk: Abbot Fangzhang (Shaolin Head Abbot)

Central Tao: Wang Zhengchong (Wudang Grand Taoist)

We really wanna throw this away to marry some princess we've never met and fight a bunch of no-name pugilists?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And after we have talked to Yunzi we figure we want to participate? It'll be too late then. Join the tournament under alias, talk to Yunzi, drop out the tournament if needed.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tigranes said:
I don't see how being a normal participant gets us more info than getting into the exhibition match and/or getting in touch with Yunzi, the guest of honour.
I don't see these things as being exclusive. And the information you find might be of a different sort depending on where you gather it.

Regardless, I can't understand how not doing something might give you better rewards than doing it, when it comes to participating in a contest.

Sure, there are things we can gain from the tournament. But there's always opportunity costs, especially in a CYOA, and there are dangers associated with participating in the first place. That's why all in all I don't think it's worth it - not because there's nothing good about it.

Nevill

Arcane
And after we have talked to Yunzi we figure we want to participate? It'll be too late then. Join the tournament under alias, talk to Yunzi, drop out the tournament if needed.
Exactly. It can be done this way. It is impossible to do it the other way. Which is why I think we should grab the chance.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Regardless, I can't understand how not doing something might give you best rewards than doing it, e.g. participating in a contest.

Ah, opportunity costs and all that. If we are focusing on our matches or what colour our tuxedo will be we are not focusing on what the prince is doing or on what Yunzi is doing. If we go for everything we will then have to chose what to do, do we focus on our matches, do we chase after Yunzi, do we ditch it all and do some spying and when the choice comes I am not convinced that people will be willing to lose or leave the tournament once we enter which means we will miss out on other things. Sometimes the most important thing is to realize that you can not do everything, pick the things that are most important and focus on them. In this case I would say that is Shun's investigation and Yunzi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom