Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What do you mean? Of course he can! Not from the cup, sure, but that shouldn't stop him.
    In fact, I think that drinking is all he does now. We should check up on him as soon as we are free from more pressing concerns.

Combat skills. Definitely combat skills. At this point, it's Jing vs. the whole orthodox pugilistic world. You'll need them.

^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Perhaps. Why increase your ability to increase your combat skills, when you can just increase your combat skills directly.

^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I wonder if there is a technique for that...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    A lack of arms won't stop Qi from drinking any more than the loss of an eye will prevent Jing from YOLOTIGERing, it's just who they are. Qi will just have to open his precious gourds with his feet from now on, or get one of the apprentices to put it up to his mouth. The upside is that I'm sure that strangers have no problem sparing a man with no arms a few coins.

Because we've got a year of adventuring ahead of us and the potential for a lot of payoff should we find a great technique that requires Artistic Skill. Sure, it's not as certain a bet as training combat skills directly, but who knows when you might run into an absolute winner of a technique that requires the heart of a poet to understand? Might be short-sighted to remain such a barbarian especially with our Luoying Manor connections. Despite his brutish exterior, even Master Zhang is a :obviously: gentleman, and I'm sure Artistic Skill has payed lots of dividends for him as well; we would be wise to heed our Master in all things.

I wonder if Lady Ji has rebuilt the place? Don't see why Shun would have a problem with them, and it's been two years, so plenty of time to put it all together.

Funny enough, I think that the next Winter Solstice Conference is right around the corner...

It's winter now, and with a year and a half of Maniac Training + half a year of adventures + another two years of Maniac Training, if the place is rebuilt, we need to make a stopover ASAP. Last time we did, Hopefully we can make it before the Conference, because the last time, we had the chance for a boost to both Artistic Skill and Scholarly Knowledge, and we're still just as ignorant as we were then as far as AS is concerned. treave, will this be a possibility for us?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, don't you regret passing up the Yuhe Finger now? Who knows when we might run into a chance to raise our Pressure Points skill to turn it into a killer technique?

Sorry, we've only got a year, and I would only take certain bets from now on. At least, as far as skills go.

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Re: Luoying Manor, there is no Manor without Lady Ji, and she has been missing ever since. There is however a successor location of sorts on Taoying Island, though not as prestigious or as well-attended as the Manor's conferences were. The scholars are still rather nervous.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    If we only wanted certain bets, we would have stayed at Maniac Island to train for the full three years. Let's view the situation on a case-by-case basis, but let's not rule out Artistic Skill just yet. I disagree with your Yuhe Finger analogy; we passed up on Yuhe Finger because there were other techniques we wanted, we had qi leeching for our qi fuckery needs, and because we lost a lot of our potential for it when we lost our eye. A higher AS has a much bigger upside, should we run into good techniques that require it. I'm sure the Abbess or Qi could help us out in that regard.

Like I said though, it's not a certain thing that we need to go for. But I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand like that either.

^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I can see the merit in that, but again: if we're offered, say, a winner of a technique by Rob Halford/Shangguan/Gao Ying/Shulgi or a +2 AS skill bonus (bringing us up to a grand total of a whopping 4!), well, I think I'm going for the powerful technique. A thing we're neglecting is that, to understand a complicated manual, we also have to have a high AS. And AS of 4 just isn't it, we'd have to make some pretty big sacrifices in other areas to get our AS to the level where it will pay off within this year. Nevill's argument has a lot of merit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    If we manage to get back to Luoying Manor, then I say we take advantage of the opportunity to learn a rare int-boosting technique.

Treave, has Shun rescinded whatever opposition the emperor held towards Luoying Manor? If not, could we persuade him on this point? Also, what's Shun's imperial name now that he's emperor?

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There's no problem with Luoying Manor reopening if that's what Lady Ji wants to do. Haven't decided on Shun's title yet, actually.

^ Top  
  11. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    How is Abbess Miecao doing. Did she get out of that coma? Is her state improving or worsening? Did Yao stay a monk while that the abbess wasn't watching over him?

^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    She retired from her position and is now living in seclusion with Yao, who is taking care of her.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Tribute - B
    TOME - B
    Fangshi - B
    Kipeci - A
    asxetos - B
    Nevill - B
    Baltika9 - B
    Azira - A
    Jester - A
    Elfberserker - B
    profreshinal - B
    Anabanana - B
    XenomorphII - B
    Kashmir Slippers - B
    Rex Feral - B
    Smashing Axe - A
    ScubaV - B
    Absinthe - B
    Grimgravy - A
    Lambchop19 - B
    The Brazilian Slaughter - A
    ERYFKRAD - B

Current tally:

A - 5
    B - 16

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Any news of Chanfeng and Xiaoqing?

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    There'll be information about that when Xiahou Yu reenters the story.

^ Top  
  16. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Betrothal Competition

As you approach Dukezong, the first thing that strikes you are its tall walls. The Tufan have built it up as a fortress city, adding fortifications upon fortifications. The second thing that interests you are the thousands of colourful flags fluttering in the brisk mountain wind, set along the battlements. The city appears to be decorated for festivities, with garlands hanging from almost every brick. The gates are guarded, but open for entry: the guards give you only a brief glance as you enter with Cao’er and Qilin – the three of you had wrapped up your heads and bodies with travellers’ cloaks to fend off the cold, leaving only the eyes and noses exposed.

Stalls and carts line the streets, manned by hawkers touting their wares. Long, ornate banners are stretched between buildings, bearing writing that proclaimed the purpose of the festival, first in Tibetan and then in Han.

It seems that Prince Songtsen Tenzin, the ruler of Tufan, is seeking a groom for his younger sister, Princess Pema Rinchen. The method by which he is selecting the lucky man is through a martial arts competition, scheduled to begin just tomorrow. A wide variety of martial artists, not only from the steppes and the mountains, but also from the Central Plains itself, have answered his call. After all, riches and glory and a princess’s hand await the eventual winner.

“…are we going to change Number Three?” asks Cao’er.

“What do you mean?”

“I really doubt you are going to come all the way here and not compete,” says Qilin.

“I don’t go for every princess that happens to fall across my path. And stop with that numbering thing.”

“Why? How else would we rank our seniority among sisters?”

“Because… ah, because you are all equal in my heart?”

Qilin laughs. “Right, if you say so. Are you really not going to compete? Wouldn’t it be nice, being a Tibetan prince?”

“I doubt Prince Tenzin will like it if his sister is the third wife,” you say.

“Make her the main wife, then,” replies Qilin cheerfully.

“…I’m not that irresponsible… you’ve already claimed that spot…” you mutter quietly, appearing to do an imitation of Cao’er in your reluctance to speak up. Qilin perks up, her eyes shining brightly. “Oh? What did you say? Can you say it again?” Giving her a dismissive snort, you refuse to play her games and stalk off without answering her.

Still, whether you compete in this tournament or not is worth some consideration. It looks like a fair number of Eight Sects’ disciples are also present, perhaps seeking glory and power of their own, though none of them are names that you recognize. They would probably recognize you rather quickly, however. Furthermore, you have gathered that this Prince Songtsen Tenzin appears to have promoted literacy in the Han language in his territory. On the surface, it seems to be a friendly move that would stimulate cultural exchange, trade, and various other opportunities, but you have also heard that this prince is a fan of Sun Wu’s Art of War.

Know your enemy.

A. You register in the competition. You’ll decide what to do when you win, though you really aren’t keen on marrying any princesses. Being a competitor might get you access to various sources of information that you would not find otherwise… but truthfully, you just really want to test your skills against someone who is not Master Zhang.
    If A wins:
    1. You register as Man Tiger Pig.
    2. You use another pseudonym.
    3. You register under your own name.

B. You do not register in the competition. This is not what you are really here for, and the less trouble you get into, the better. Probably. If you are not competing, you can spend more time looking around the city and seeing if there is anything else you can find out for Shun.

After wandering about the streets and attempting to gather what information you could from the people – half of the locals spoke no Han, and the other half spoke it in a mangled manner - it appears that there will be a pre-tournament celebration held in the palacegrounds tonight. There, the princess will preside over a few exhibition matches. You hear that the prince will be demonstrating his skill in such a bout. Yunzi will also be there, as his personal guest of honour.

You did come all the way here thanks to her invitation, didn’t you?

A. Find a way to get into the exhibition match; Cao’er and Qilin should be able to whip up something that leaves a participant incapacitated, allowing you to sneakily take his place. It’ll be a good surprise for Yunzi. Should you have registered for the competition, however, it might be wiser to appear here under another identity…
    If A wins:
    1. Appear with a pig’s mask.
    2. Try to find another mask to use… any mask will do.
    3. Appear unmasked.

B. Entry to the celebration appears to be limited to the upper-class of the city as well as the registered participants. If you have registered, you should be able to enter normally, bringing along Cao’er and Qilin as your companions, but should you have decided not to register, you will have to find a way to obtain an invitation.
    If you do not have an invitation yet desire to go, you would opt to…
    1. Swindle one from a gullible contestant by talking them into giving it into you.
    2. Lure a weak contestant into a dark alley and take it by force.
    3. Pickpocket a contestant that lacks sufficient alertness.

C. You don’t need to attend the festivities to appear before Yunzi. You’ll just sneak into her room after it has concluded and talk to her there.

D. You’ll have plenty of chances to talk to her later on: it seems that she is one of the judges for the tournament and will be staying here until the entire event is over, which would likely take quite a few days to conclude. You do not make your approach tonight.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The rules of the competition are as follows:
    You lose if you get thrown out of the ring, are knocked unconscious and deemed unable to fight, or get killed.

The exhibition match acts more like a showcase of martial arts from both sides, with no serious attacks allowed that can lead to injury or death.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. RealDDc Learned

RealDDc
    barefaced lie skill +1

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that hamstring us immensely? Or are our Unarmed and Sword skills enough that we can use our techniques without having to worry about this?

^ Top  
  21. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    I don't think that we should go for this competition, and I think that a lower profile would work to our advantage as well as help us more in aiding Shun than our standard trololol Man Tiger Pig approach has. As nice as it would be to spar with some martial artists from the Eight Sects and get a taste of their style before we inevitably have to fight off droves of them in the near future, I don't think that we should go for this. Even if we win, how are we going to refuse the princess' hand in marriage if we're here for Yunzi as well?

As for the exhibition match, I am sure that the prince is no slouch in martial arts, but so long as we don't rely heavily on our neigong, we aren't at risk of killing the guy. Such a horrible diplomatic incident would surely make Master Zhang proud, but I don't think that Shun would really appreciate it. We'll appear unmasked so that she knows we're here - no doubt that she'll be sure to tell us that we're a fool for coming here and that we should leave right away so we don't get hurt. N-not that she likes us or anything, of course.

B A3, though I might be willing to flop. Competition does sound fun, and not being on the receiving end of an ass-kicking for the first time in two years would also be neat.

Tribute, yes, our Unarmed skills are high enough that we won't kill someone even with the use of the Shouwang Claws. However, our qi makes our movements erratic and uncontrollable, so it could cause a strike to inadvertently connect in a lethal way. I'm fairly certain that so long as we aren't using our neigong, I think we should be good.

treave, considering our Unarmed skills are to the point that we can use our techniques relatively safely, is it easier to maintain the calm, undistracted mental state required for Reikan if we want to avoid killing someone? What I mean is, before you had mentioned that Reikan would be difficult to activate in a tournament setting because our mind would be distracted, but since our skill is high enough to compensate, can we use Reikan in a setting like this more easily?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    We could get as much experience as possible and then take a dive or surrender in the finals, I guess. That's likely to make us really unpopular, though.

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I forgot to mention that since you picked Reikan to train, you're really used to having it more or less permanently active regardless of emotional state. The only thing that'll stop it now is stuff that disrupts your qi flow.

As for throwing a match, that's an option, or you could do it discreetly, or you could just not give a shit about their pride in finest School of Zhang tradition and leave without claiming your prize once you've done what you wanted. That's a huge insult though. Massive.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    No, we are going for the win, and there is no need to refuse the princess' hand. They are not going to marry you to her on the spot.

To hell with the prince. We will compete. Why do you even need a lower profile? How else are you going to close the distance between you and the royalty you've come to investigate?

I think 1A2 would benefit us better. Not entirely sure about the second choice, though another 2A2 seems good.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    ^ Top  
  25. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Not if it looks convincing. There have been lots of fixed fights in the history of boxing and even MMA too - it's not like the audience suddenly knew what was up and started rioting. Most of the time they were fooled.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.