Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I am torn between teaching our Kuanglang Step. steps, Beggar palm technique, chuzan fist or aerial kicking tech.

Xianglong Eighteen Palms.:

The Arrogant Dragon Regrets - a weak palm strike that is humble and formless, allowing you to chain it smoothly into any form of movement for infinite variations.

Palm technique would give Wuni more variety in his attack and his chakrams could very well lend bit of lethality to the Arrogant Dragon Regrets. It does lack raw speed boost from Yinglang tech or raw attacking power from out other attacking techs, but it can be easily used to attack in quite variety ways as well easily forming continious attacks. I see it as reliable technique against all sorts of opponents

Chuzan Fist.

Style One - The Parched Earth Cracks - a series of rapid, forceful straight punches that aim to keep the opponent off balance.

Wuni can probably incorprorate Chuzan fist quite easily with his shaoling es-ques techniques and it's one of killing techniques of Southern maniac. Chuzan fist seems to have plenty of raw attacking power and it seems to mesh well quick and forceful approach towards combat, but it is rather limited in ways you can attack compared to beggar technique and lacks raw speed boost from Yinglang steps.

Kuanglang Step.

All purpose agility upgrade. Attacks and evade faster, but it doesn't give him new ways attack nor improve his actual raw attack strenght.

A. Wuying Leipo Kick.

Soaring Thunder Flash - A leaping move that allows you to travel far into the air at high speed: the basic foundation of the technique.

This technique allows Wuni access to aerial combat. He might know the kicks, but the guy has fucking chakrams. He could be flying disc throwing death angel.

I am not sure still which target to attack, but the douchebag looks appealing target.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ERYFKRAD - D, E1
Nevill - G, B2
Smashing Axe - B>G, A2 > C2 > B2 > E2 > D2
Zero Credibility - G, A2 > B2
Baltika9 - G, B2
asxetos - G, B2
Anabanana - G, B2
Esquilax - E, C1
Rex Feral - C, E2
Jester - G, C1
Azira - G, B2

Current tally:

Technique -
B - 1
C - 1
D - 1
E - 1
G - 7

Target -
A2 - 2
B2 - 5
C1 - 2
E1 - 1
E2 - 1

Tribute

Arbiter
Regarding killing/not killing, I suspect that we have to be careful about that as well. Ji Mou and Xuxian are watching our fight, and I suspect that if they see that we aren't going for the kill against the worst motherfuckers here, they won't reciprocate that same level of aggression when they join the fight. With Unarmed 8, we are a true master at this point, so we can still take them out non-lethally without much of a drop-off in effectiveness (though of course our qi is unpredictable even at the best of times).
This is a very good point.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jing didn't rate his chances of success very highly when he made the choice to help Wuni. Holding back at this point is not wise.

Also, while our unarmed is at 8, our sword skill is still 7. This will hinder us.

asxetos

Augur
I dont think a 7 will hinder us. 7 is about the maximum that any student can hope to achieve while training under a master. After that some extraordinary shit needs to happen to get a skill-up. I doubt any of the contestants have a weapon skill higher than 7 (except maybe the Shaolin monk).

Nevill

Arcane
The ones we fought in the hundred men battle had less, and we still got fucked up hard. Because there were 100 of them.

One on one, sure, I would try to pull some punches. Not here, though.

Esquilax

Arcane
Also, while our unarmed is at 8, our sword skill is still 7. This will hinder us.

As far as I know, for the purposes of using the Minamoto Sword Style, or skill would be an 8 since we have basic training on Sabers. Perhaps that means that we are at Master-level, so long as we use that particular sword style. treave, is that the case?

In any case, you're probably right that we shouldn't hold back with the likes of the Little Tiger and zhang wanting to take our heads off, as well as Ji Muo and Xuxian still waiting for us. Our best (and probably only) shot against the Shaolin monk is to use his qi reserves against him by draining him.

Just from what you can tell his inner strength should be greater than yours, hence the statement that he was the most powerful fighter in the room. Jing was including himself in that estimation.

Wow, I had assumed that Jing meant that Xuxian was the most powerful fighter aside from himself. Is he around our age? We're well-acquainted with some of the best fighters of our generation, so it's odd that we haven't encountered this guy yet. Well, not really that odd, since he's probably been hidden away with his Master in Tibet, but still.

As for the choice, I suppose I'm convinced. Manxing, being a ruthless bastard, will do whatever it takes to win, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he's relying on his slave to pull off some underhanded tactics. At the same time though, unpredictability could foil his plans entirely; why not throw the Prince and Yunzi into the battle royale as well? I'm just throwing out ideas here, of course, but I'll flop my original post to GB2.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, this goes into "Zhang Jue is Yang Xue's son" territory a bit, but I think that the girl might be an ex-Wunan member.

- The girl gives off more of a slave vibe than a servant one. At the very least she seems to be highly unwilling to risk her life.
- The attack on Wunan was executed because of Chanfeng. That means there was a high probability that there were personal motives behind it.
- We know that Chanfeng considered zhang manlou and the Great Eunuch Wang her personal enemies, and no doubt she attempted to take her revenge on them, which probably resulted in Yu finding her wounded and unconscious.
- We know Gao Ying was involved, but it is highly unlikely this raid was ordered by Shun, given what we know of him. On the other hand, Gao Ying was involved with all the Grand Eunuchs as a quadruple (?) agent.
- If zhang household was involved, it makes sense for them to have slaves from that raid.

Then again, if the enslavement of free Han ever became public, it would mean trouble. It would be extremely risky to keep such a slave openly.

This is all highly speculative, of course, but it strengthens my resolve to do something highly unpleasant to manxing. Given the history of how zhang family treats their women, the girl would be better off regardless of where she comes from.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
This is all highly speculative, of course, but it strengthens my resolve to do something highly unpleasant to manxing. Given the history of how zhang family treats their women, the girl would be better off regardless of where she comes from.

It's an interesting theory, and I think that there is definitely something to it, but how will this get us closer to making it out of this battle royale in one piece? We've decided to help Wuni win this, and killing this guy here just because he is an asshole doesn't really help us achieve that goal. Now, if he arranged this tense alliance between the Songtsu brothers, the Little Tiger, and himself, then perhaps taking him out might prompt them to turn against one another, then I suppose going after him is the prudent thing to do. But if that's not really the case, then perhaps we should pick another target. The Little Tiger is an obvious threat, but since our character has decided to help Wuni become victorious, then perhaps aiding him so that the two brothers don't overwhelm him is the smarter choice?

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that just because we strongly dislike Manxing doesn't mean that tearing his limbs off is the best path to success. It's momentarily satisfying, sure, but it's also not what we're here for.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
It's an interesting theory, and I think that there is definitely something to it, but how will this get us closer to making it out of this battle royale in one piece?
Well, for one, going for manxing takes out two contestants in one fell swoop.
Two, even if the theory is false I want to take manxing out, as I expect him to be the leader of an anti-MTP alliance, too.
Three, I want him out quickly and permanently. Should we go soft on him, the girl might continue with her orders out of fear that he recovers and punishes her if she doesn't.

I guess I am trying to rationalize my B2 choice.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As far as I know, for the purposes of using the Minamoto Sword Style, or skill would be an 8 since we have basic training on Sabers. Perhaps that means that we are at Master-level, so long as we use that particular sword style. treave, is that the case?

For that particular technique only, yes.

Wow, I had assumed that Jing meant that Xuxian was the most powerful fighter aside from himself. Is he around our age? We're well-acquainted with some of the best fighters of our generation, so it's odd that we haven't encountered this guy yet. Well, not really that odd, since he's probably been hidden away with his Master in Tibet, but still.

Well, there's power, and then there's technique, skill and outright cheating.

He's probably around your age, yes, but you've been away for two years, and you only knew of the best fighters by reputation before this. For example, you debuted as a virtual unknown in the youth tournament but you were already stronger than most there. He could also have been taught a way to rapidly increase in inner strength.

Nevill

Arcane
treave said:
He could also have been taught a way to rapidly increase in inner strength.
We need to visit that Dalai lama.

Being instructed by Zhang in ways of a fist, by the Sword Saint in ways of a sword, and by a lama in ways of neigong would be beyond sweet.

Esquilax

Arcane
The girl is nothing as a fighter. She's absolutely terrified, and even if she is ex-Wunan, we know that they aren't really any good - Chanfeng was decent at most, and Xiaoqi was pretty terrible. Manxing is probably using her as a meatshield - unless she is as good as the likes of Tulu Huodu at masking how dangerous she is, taking her out of the fight will ultimately mean nothing. It seems like we're going with this theory that he set up this alliance against us that Xuxian and Ji Muo opted out of (and there are good reasons for believing this theory), but I simply don't think that the benefits of taking him out are that great. Let's evaluate this for a moment - if we defeat/kill him, how will the others react?

Most likely, what would occur is this; the Songtsu brothers would surround Wuni (whom we are in this for) because our ally just blindsided his brother and we didn't do the job of finishing one of them off, while the Little Tiger would keep coming after us. We can't really speculate on what Ji Muo and Xuxian would do, but we have to take into account the possibility of them joining the fight as well. The problem is, at that point, we'd have to take some of these guys on without backup since Wuni would be stuck dealing with the Songtsu brothers.

As a result, I think that taking care of that front would yield the biggest advantage. We help Wuni out early in the fight, and he'll betray us because he's Theseus help us out in return if we're swarmed. He won't be able to do that if he's barely able to hold off the Songtsu brothers. Because of this, I have to flop to either GD1 or GC2. This alliance is working together against us, so we too have to work together, or we lose. Going after Manxing just because he is an asshole is pretty ballsy and Zhang Jue-approved, but I don't think it'll help us win. GC2/GD1 have different pros and cons, though.

GC2: Songtsu is attacking us alongside the Little Tiger and Manxing. Since they're all close together, we can't really hold back on the guy. This might send his brother into a berserker rage if we kill him, which is bad for us.

GD1: This is tricky, because we have to run past the mob of fighters coming after us to join Wuni and boot out Langstu. The upside is that we can hold back a bit with Wuni helping us. However, I don't think that they'd be expecting is and I think that we're fast enough to zip past these guys with AGI 11. The other benefit is that once we get Langstu out of there, Jing and Wuni can stand closer together.

Being instructed by Zhang in ways of a fist, by the Sword Saint in ways of a sword, and by a lama in ways of neigong would be beyond sweet.

Zhang has taught us a lot about our neigong - hell, it's why he sought us out - but now that Big Wang is gone, the lama seems like he'd have that same level of knowledge regarding qi that the Grand Taoist did. I really want to get another chance to talk to Xuxian. However, it's possible that Jixuan Wuni has at least heard of this guy being that they're both Tibetan. Considering Wuni's crappy skill at inner strength, he'd also benefit a lot from learning from this guy, and he'd be able to vouch for our good character as well (assuming we get out of this in one piece, of course).

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Chanfeng was decent at most, and Xiaoqi was pretty terrible.
Dafuq? She was better than Jing!
Tier Four
Gao Ying, Yifang, Hei Brothers
Murong Yandi, Liu Chanfeng
Xu Jing
, Yunzi, Guo Fu
Su Liaojing, Yiling, Song Lingshu
Wu Brothers, Shaolin Xu Monks

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, she's six or seven years older than us and barely better than Jing was at 17. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Chanfeng's skill. In any case, Manxing's servant is a terrified girl who, even if she was ex-Wunan, is likely not much of a fighter at all. Taking her out of the equation is better than nothing, I guess, but it isn't really as big as taking out the Little Tiger or one of the Tibetan brothers from the battle royale. Chanfeng's actual skill wasn't my main point here.

profreshinal

Arcane
DA1

I don't want to kill anyone just yet. It might set up more dog-piling and we should work through our current stack first.

Nevill

Arcane
Sorry, Esquilax, but I do not grasp your logic.

You say that if we take out zhang manxing, there still will be two fighters left, and those are dangerous. Right. But if we take on those fighters, then it would be zhand manxing who will be left in the game. The reason why I want to take him out was stated already - I suspect that the man will employ an underhanded tactic we might not see coming. The man already deals with drugs, why not poisons?

Furthermore, you dismiss the girl as a fighter, but you never ask yourself - if she is a lousy fighter, why is she here? What for? If you know her master is a ruthless bastard with not a grain of conscience left in him, you have to suspect the worst. She is really easy to ignore due to how out of place she seems, but would that really be wise?

Next, you talk about the alliance, and how taking manxing out would spell our doom... why exactly? If we take him down, the brothers will pile on Wuni, and we will only be left face-to-face with the bandit. There will be no alliance anymore, everyone will be left to their own devices. I can't see it as a bad thing.

If you take one of the brothers out, however, there would still be 3 or 4 fighters aiming at your throat. It improves Wuni's chances, sure, but it does not help your chances any - and you are in a far greater danger than he is.

Besides, seeing how the monk and the beggar do not like dogpiling, one of them may provide support to Wuni and take on one of the brothers just to make things fair.

Forget about Wuni for a second, you can not hope to watch his back and yours simultaneously with just one eye. Once Yunzi came into picture, other ways of achieving our goal became available. You can get her to win the tournament and still marry Rinchen to Wuni afterwards.

I want to get rid of zhang because I see him as the biggest threat that currently has his eyes on you. The bandit is predictable, the brothers are predictable, but he is not. I do not want to leave him for later.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, I really don't understand this panicking on account of the Little Tiger. The dude is a badass for sure, and pretty brutal, but also relatively predictable and he's here for a good fight. Honestly, we're better than him in martial arts, we're definitely better at martial arts than the two brothers (separately, not if they're working in tandem...if they will at all, they both are after their sister's hand in marriage after all) so they can't fuck us over on that front. What can fuck us over, however, are dirty tricks, cheating and stabs in the back.
zhang the inferior seems like just the slimy motherfucker who would pull those things off.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
FLopping to AA2.

The douchebag can wait a little longer.

We currently have battle in our hands with 2 against 3. We are awesome fighter, but we can get injured if we are not careful and that makes it harder to face whatever the douchebag or rest of tournament have for us. Getting our current biggest threat out now and helping out wuni now makes it easier to deal with Manxing and other contestants, which one might be actually stronger than we are.

Nevill

Arcane
We currently have battle in our hands with 2 against 3.
It is (1 vs 2) and (1 vs 3), actually. Wuni is up against one of the brothers, and the second one wants to help, while the bandit and the douchebag try to pile on us, and there is a girl in there somewhere.

How is the bandit the biggest threat? The most powerful fighter is the monk, or the prince, or Yunzi. The most rotten one, the one who you constantly need to watch out for, is the douchebag. The only thing the bandit has going for him is his brute strength and bloodlust, but raw force does not amount to much. If need be, we might even be more brutal than him, and we are faster and more skilled, to boot.

The bandit is only a paper tiger. The real challenge lies ahead.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, can we use our SoH to signal Qilin to "ensure" Yunzi does not lose her duel?
I don't want to be taking any chances here, guys. We're so close. :(

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We currently have battle in our hands with 2 against 3.
It is (1 vs 2) and (1 vs 3), actually. Wuni is up against one of the brothers, and the second one wants to help, while the bandit and the douchebag try to pile on us, and there is a girl in there somewhere.

How is the bandit the biggest threat? The most powerful fighter is the monk, or the prince, or Yunzi. The most rotten one, the one who you constantly need to watch out for, is the douchebag. The only thing the bandit has going for him is his brute strength and bloodlust, but raw force does not amount to much. If need be, we might even be more brutal than him, and we are faster and more skilled, to boot.

The bandit is only a paper tiger. The real challenge lies ahead.

The monk is not actually attacking us hence the bandit is currently biggest threat, but I somehow I failed my reading comprehension and didn't understood that the douchebag was also charging towards us. However I think calling son of bandit king a paper tiger is perhaps still premature since we don't know a thing about the guy. Bandit king didn't become Bandit king with weak techniques and I think that he didn't teach his son weak techniques either.

I am torn between actually taking this chance to take down one of Tibetan brothers since he is distracted from us and actually giving Wuni a chance to help us down the line.

Flopping to AB2. Since I failed my reading compherension.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

GE2 - MAXIMUM TROLL! The prince needs to get his ass kicked in his own competition. I have a feeling Yunzi will lose if we leave them on their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom