Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Fight or Flight for Love

Without waiting to be invited, you get up from your table and take a seat in front of Jixuan Wuni. His face scrunches up slightly at your approach, but he does not do anything rash like attacking you or jumping out of the window. “What business do you have with me, Man Tiger Pig?” he says slowly, as if he feels the need to think and enunciate each of his words clearly. “I just thought I would have a drink with a fellow contestant,” you say, putting your elbows on the table cockily. “Any particular Tibetan brews you recommend?”

“If I tell you, will you leave me in peace?” he asks, scowling.

You make a show of thinking for a while before nodding your head. “No.”

His scowl deepens and his gaze drops back to his food and drink. Jixuan Wuni sighs heavily, scratching his head. “Look, Man Tiger Pig. I want no trouble with you. We will fight later and I will do my best. There is no need for you to seek me out. Leave the violence for the tournament.” It seems like he thinks you are here to goad him into a fight. You laugh heartily. “That is not what I am here for.” Leaning forward, you whisper, “You seem to be pretty chummy with some princesses.” The blood drains from his expression as he stares at you in horror. “You will not lay a finger on them,” Jixuan Wuni growls, his knuckles turning white as his fists tighten. “Wait, just what sort of monster do you think I am?” you ask quietly, mildly surprised at his reaction. He tells you. It appears that during the two years that you have been on the island, there have been several opportunistic knaves using your name to commit evil deeds near the less-policed frontiers of the Tang lands. Of course, it was nothing that people wouldn’t already put past you: murders, robberies, teasing virgin maidens, but it seems that your reputation as a no-good vagrant is on its way to being set in stone.

You pinch the bridge of your nose with a wry smile. “The rumours of my misdeeds have been greatly exaggerated, I assure you.”

“You can say whatever you want.”

“I will. Trust me when I say I have no designs on Princess Rinchen.”

“If you do not wish to marry her, why do you compete?”

“Oh, I was just bored,” you say, and he seems to accept that answer all too readily. You are not sure whether to regard that as a good thing or a bad thing. Looking around, you grin and say, “It would be easier to do what the little princess suggests, wouldn’t it?”

Jixuan Wuni shakes his head solemnly. “You do not understand.”

“Help me understand.”

He shakes his head again. “I will not gossip. I do not know you well enough, Man Tiger Pig, and you do not know me.”

“What if I told you I want to help you get the girl?” You speak quietly, dangling your offer in front of him with a charming little smile as you put forward your most trustworthy face.

His lips narrow, forming a thin, hard line. “Do you not think you are being a little insulting? Why would you think I need your help?”

“Perhaps it may injure your pride, true... but it is practical.”

“My feelings for the princess are something I can only prove with my fists.”

“That is why you are refusing to run away, eh? A man’s man, Jixuan Wuni. You have my respect,” you say, bowing deeply with just a hint of sarcasm in your voice. When you raise your head, you look him straight in the eye. “Believe me when I say that I am offering my aid with no strings attached.”

“What reason would you have to help me? What would you gain from it?”

You laugh. “Why, this is what I do! Stealing royalty and mocking the pompous! The fun is payment enough. Now, since the little princess was speaking so loudly just now, I have no doubt everyone knows about you and Princess Rinchen. If you won’t tell me, I can ask about it from someone else… and they might embellish it plenty. You will be truthful, won’t you?”

“I see you love to poke your nose where it is unneeded,” he says glumly.

“I poke plenty of things. So, what will it be?”

With a resigned look on his face, Jixuan Wuni begins to speak. “The princess was out on an inspection of the country. Back then everyone was poor and the security was bad. Her carriage was attacked by bandits. The guards were of no use. I helped her run, and we have been meeting occasionally ever since.” You wait for him to continue, but he looks away awkwardly. “That’s it?” you ask.

“That is it.”

You shrug. Sometimes simple stories are the most meaningful, as Master Zhang once said. Of course, his idea of simple usually just involved a powerful opponent, himself, and a glorious battle. “Can’t say I have any romantic tales of my own that would top that, so I can’t complain. Why don’t you run away with her again, like her sister suggested?”

“I do not want to sneak away with her in the night like some shameless rogue. If I am a man, I should stand and fight for her hand, and prove I am more worthy than all the others.”

“Is that what she wants?”

He looks down. “Well… no. She thinks it would be easier if we ran. But that is not right. We cannot run forever. Tufan is her home, the Prince is her brother. I cannot ask her to give up her status just to be with me.”

Before you can say anything else, an emissary from the palace arrives with news of the tournament. He relays the message in both Tibetan and Han: it appears that the competition will proceed as scheduled in the afternoon. Prince Tenzin has deliberated long and hard, and finally come to an answer – all the remaining nine participants would compete at once in a battle royale, after the fashion of the legendary and prestigious Huashan Summit. Apparently, he thinks that it would only be fitting to do so, with an actual disciple of one of the Five Great Pugilists here to grace his competition. The message even takes the pleasure of naming you as his inspiration for this decision, and he hopes that this will be an exciting, fair fight worthy of his sister’s hand.

You think it is more likely that you get piled on by everyone else seconds after the bell is rung.

“Son of a mountain goat,” you curse.

A. There is yet a few hours before the competition is due to start. Now that the palace is busy with the final preparations for the tournament, this should be the perfect time to steal away Princess Rinchen. You persuade Jixuan Wuni that he should elope instead of participating in the tournament like some hard-headed fool. As it is more likely for a loser to attempt abduction after an acrimonious loss in the tournament, they will never see you coming in the middle of the day, before the competition has even begun. Of course, the prince may be expecting this move - Jixuan's relationship with the princess seems to be an open secret, but it should not be anything you can't handle. He is the sort of man that would live more comfortably outside of the palace anyway: that much you can tell.

B. You proceed with the tournament: it may be a good test of your ability to see if you can guide Jixuan Wuni through the free-for-all and have him achieve victory. You will spend the next few hours gauging his level of ability, and having done that, impart to him the basics of one of your combat techniques you think would help him come out ahead. If it is his wish to be recognized as the rightful partner of the princess, you would like to help him accomplish that. Of course, it is rather probable that every other contestant will be gunning for your scalp once the fight starts, and combined with the possible need to assist Jixuan Wuni that may prove to be an obstacle that even you may not overcome.

C. You enter the tournament to win it. You think it would be a waste of your time to try and help the Tibetan in the tournament. You still have no interest in marrying the princess, but now that you have heard of Jixuan Wuni's story, perhaps you can fob her off to him afterwards. The marriage ceremony should not take place immediately after the tournament concludes: there will probably be time for you to run off or even steal the princess for him should you come out victorious.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Where's mah Laxatives option?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Only if you decided not to compete (and ended up assisting Jixuan Wuni from the sidelines) - if you are, you want a good fight.

You could use it in A and give the palace a good case of the runs, though.

^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Valid question, ERYFKRAD. :salute:

^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Would there still be a tournament if we go with A? Will they notice the absense of the princess right away?

Also, what kind of a person is the prince? Yunzi said he was an alright person, but why would he try to marry off his sister to some random pugilist against her will? Now I am regretting not taking a look at him during the exhibition match a bit.

^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A for Laxatives is good option, will prevent people from chasing them too.
    B on the other hand sounds like the sort of thing we oughta try.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    C>B>A

I have no real reason here. I don't care for this guy too much. It'd be fun to win, and it'd be fun to let this guy win.

I will say that being beaten with B is probably a bad thing. We could be killed, maimed or injured, which may make things difficult if someone is looking to attack us later.

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If A succeeds there won't be a tournament, since the princess is supposed to be present to watch the fights.

As for the prince, all you know that he has brought peace and prosperity to Tufan at the moment and he has big ideas for his country. As for the marriage thing, Jixuan Wuni does have a fair shot. I mean, in the sense that if he is worthy enough, he gets to marry the princess legitimately, and you can't expect a princess to just get wedded off to some nobody. He certainly wasn't barred from the competition, though given that it is potentially lethal you probably can't be sure if the prince isn't actually sneakily trying to off the fella in a way that can't be too obviously traced back to him, if you're the paranoid sort.

^ Top  
  9. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    Voting B just to toughen things up.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Voting A.

That way, no matter what the outcome will be, the future of the girl will be secure. It is foolish to place your personal pride above such things. If he can't stand the thought of another man winning (judging by his reaction to Jing mentioning the princess' name - and he would probably not like the son of the Bandit King, too), and if the girl herself does not want it, you should not risk leaving it to chance.

Besides, pride aside, what is his concern? That the princess should not give up her rank for him? Isn't it for the girl to decide?

As for the prince, he comes off as somebody who has a bit of an obsession with the martial arts. That is one strange criteria he uses for choosing a husbang for her sister.

At any rate, if there is no tournament, there is no winner, if there is no winner, there is no marriage, if there is not marriage - and an abducted princess to boot - then the plans for double festivities will have to wait. Let's give Yunzi a break.

Also, laxatives.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Or if all the preparations for a marriage are done anyway, it'd be a waste not to use them just because the princess is missing. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    You know what, I'm convinced - let's try operation Princess grab. We derailed this tournament already, so what the hell.

A > B

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Eh, Yunzi won't marry him until she consults with Vairya, and now that we have made her our offer, I don't think she'll be too hasty to decide.

Also, if the prince does not respect the wishes of his own sister, why would he respect hers? For Yunzi, that is a matter of no small importance, and we have already had a chance to prove it to her that we are different.

Anyway, by the way things seem to be going, I half-expect us dueling with the prince in a few updates.

Yep. Let's ruin all of their plans and all of their marriages. The reputation of Man Tiger Pig demands it to be so.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    A for trollan, B for an actual marriage, eh? I'm going with B.
    Protecting Wuni in a group fight is the perfect setting to test our abilities, and him winning it is the best chance for his and Rinchen's happiness. The man just said that he doesn't want to steal her away from her life and station, but wants to be with her fair and square. A great chance to prove our belief in live to Yunzi.
    :salute:
    That, and I don't want to give Tenzin excuses to do this:

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I... still don't get the 'stop Yunzi from marrying the prince by stopping the princess from getting married' argument. But if it makes sense to you guys, that's good enough. No worries, it'll all work out. :thumbsup:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    You are prioritizing what the man said out of pride over what the girl wants. Is that the kind of impression you want to give Yunzi?
    :rpgcodex:
    Show Spoiler
    :P

Well, it's more like 'derail everything to the point that the marriage is the last thing on the prince's mind'.
    I mean, with the princess gone, that would not be the best time for festivities, right?

^ Top  
  17. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    B
    It's a good test of our new-found abilities, especially if we think these fighters are not a challenge one-on-one. We just have to avoid getting pinned down, and if we do there's qi drain. Plus, by surprising Yunzi with our romantic notions of fighting for true love we can melt her already softening heart.
    D'awwww.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
  19. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    Finally! Time for some lAxatives. If both of them are going to be happier outside the palace anyway, I say we let them have their peaceful life.

^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, that makes it clearer. Yes, that's quite probable.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Neither do I, to be honest. We signed up for the tournament to test ourselves, trolled and terrified our competition into shortening the whole affair, and now have the perfect opportunity to bost test ourselves against some pretty powerful fighters and help Jixuan get his girl fair and square for TRU LUV! and live his life in a position of honor...
    And we're going for the choice that doesn't net us anything, no challenge, not really helping the lovebirds and giving Tenzin an excuse to pull his switcharoo trick out of his ass.
    He'll figure out what had happened by Jixuan's and hers absences. Their relationship is pretty well-known in the palace, apparently, so he's suspect #1.

^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Then we must find a way to knock out and kidnap the Zhang wossname guy, and have the blame piled on him instead. Flawless plan, can't go wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright. And?

Really? Because the girl wants it, her sister wants it, and Wuni does not look like someone who would be comfortable with a palace life. I'd say it is the plan that helps them just fine.

Now, that's just a poor argument. How would he even do that?

^ Top  
  24. Anabanana Augur

Anabanana
    B voters, the Prince might not consider Jixuan's win valid if he catches onto the fact that Jing's helping him. There might be dire consequences for both Jixuan and Jing, in that case. Since the Prince is skilled enough to participate in an exhibition match, and he chose martial arts as the method for choosing his sister's husband, it seems likely that he would be perceptive enough to realize foul play.

Especially if Jixuan's relationship with the princess is an open secret.

B seems to be like wanting to help the couple AND test our martial arts ability as well, but it seems like it might lead to a worse outcome than the choices that focus on a single goal. Let's not try to have our cake and eat it.

^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Where is this coming from? The update didn't say that they would be happier outside the palace, just that Rinchen doesn't want Jixuan's skull getting cracked open in the fight. That's where we come in.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.