Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In a way, yes, and Yunzi is taking part in both, while the prince is pretty much the only one taking her challenge. Perhaps it's easier to see if we break it down into the assumed objectives for each participant.

Pang Xiaohu, Zhang Manxing, Tibetan Bros
Eliminate you, win competition, marry princess

Beggar & Monk
Win competition, marry princess

Jixuan Wuni
Survive, win competition, marry princess

Xu Jing
Help Jixuan Wuni marry princess

Yunzi
Fight off the prince's affection, win competition, take princess home

Prince Tenzin
Beat Yunzi to show his love

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave said:
In a way, yes, and Yunzi is taking part in both
Ah, so then it is as I assumed. Panic vote removed.

Yunzi will not fall easily, so we can leave her for now.

treave said:
Tibetan Bros
Tibetan brothers. Bros they are not.

Fangshi

Arcane
Well may as well jump on the bandwagon here G B2, get rid of one of the guys that wants us immediately gone. Hopefully our allies can hold out while we deal with our immediate opponents.

Tribute

Arbiter
They're not our bros. They certainly seem pretty bro with each other, considering after one took a hit the other immediately change his objective to "get my brother out of the fire".

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
First Blood

You do not wait for them to come to you.

You jump, flying into the air, the arc of your leap ending over their heads.

A Tibetan spear thrusts forward to meet you. Twisting in mid-air, you kick the spear aside and land unimpeded.

An axe swings powerfully at your head. Tucking your body inwards, you hit the ground rolling.

You get to your feet, knocking aside the hand that is attempting to run a sword through you, and strike.

Zhang Manxing manages to dodge at the last moment, your fingers tearing away the front of his clothes. There is both surprise and anger etched on his face, though he manages to muster up a confident laugh and regain his composure swiftly. “You came for me first? Did you think I was the weakest of us all, and that you could dispose of me quickly?” he taunts.

“No, out of all the people here, your looks would be improved the most by a good beating,” you respond, darting forward to resume the fight. A curse on his lips, Zhang Manxing sheathes his sword and takes on a defensive Taiji stance – perhaps it is true that he has learnt from each of the sects. He deflects each of your strikes with great effort, his moves more rough than gentle, but it seems that he does understand the basics of the form.

“I suppose you aren’t going to fight me yet, then,” you hear the Little Tiger say lightly, and he whirls around without warning, his axes aiming for the neck of Songtsu Taide, who had been about to turn and help his brother. “I’ll just have you as an appetizer!” roars the young bandit gleefully. The Tibetan raises his shield to block but Pang Xiaohu cleaves it in half without even stopping. Laughing, he goes on the attack against Songtsu, who is forced to discard the now useless shield and retreat in the face of the maniacal axeman’s onslaught.

“Looking away in a fight? You underestimate me too much!” A shout draws your attention back towards Zhang Manxing, who has unsheathed his sword again and is attempting to cut you down. You block his blade with the scabbard of your wodao, but before you can draw and slash he has retreated, the point of his sword facing you cautiously. You recognize the stance of Emei’s Qingcheng Stab. With a quick dart forward he advances again, his footwork changing as his swordplay shifts into a wild and fast form you have faced before – Huashan’s swift sword technique. This time, you are ready for it.

Zhang’s sword comes rushing down onto your head. You raise your scabbard and catch the edge of his blade, just mere inches away from your brow. Before he can pull away, you swing down, pulling his sword downwards. You draw your wodao as your swing passes its lowest point, and in one fluid, circular motion you slash upwards, completing the circle. It is only his good fortune that prevents you from removing half of his head: as he stumbles in surprise, the point of your sword only manages to draw a red, bloody line across his cheek.

Zhang Manxing screams in pain, clutching his face as he backs away from you. “You… you dare cut my face! You’ll pay for this!” Quietly, you sheath your sword and spread your arms. “Oh, I’m sorry,” you say mockingly, “I did say I would beat your face in until it looked better. Here, let me fix that.” You leap to the attack as he drops his sword in a hurry and falls into a Taiji stance again. This time, you do not form a claw with your hand, but a fist. You drive it straight at his face. His arm comes up to deflect and redirect the momentum, but the sheer power and speed of your Chuzhan Fist brushes the arm away before it manages to do much. It is, however, enough that your punch merely clips his ear, turning it into a bloody mess, instead of outright mangling his face as you had wanted.

It’s not like you are feeling particularly protective of Qilin and Cao’er; you just do not take kindly to people who would try to assault them.

Zhang Manxing stumbles away from you, gasping for breath as he moans from the pain. His confidence seems to have vanished, leaving behind a pathetic, whimpering husk of a man. You stride towards him, whistling a catchy ditty Yorimitsu was inspired to compose after meeting Zhang Jue. If he is really the equal of Bai Jiutian, then standards at Huashan have really dropped.

“Xiaofang! Xiaofang, where are you? Useless dog!” he shrieks suddenly. “Why did you even follow me here if you weren’t going to help me out when I needed it? Quickly! Defeat this maniac or all is lost!” You feel a presence manifesting behind you suddenly. Whirling around, you find yourself face to face with the servant girl, Xiaofang. She is fast… but you are faster. You snatch her wrist, twisting it to make her drop the dagger, and bring her down to the floor with a quick flick. As her qi begins to drain, you sense something off about it though you cannot comprehend just what is strange at the moment. You let go of her arm and prepare to kick the servant off the stage.

“Wait!” whispers Xiaofang desperately, “I’m the Emperor’s loyal servant!”

“Aren’t we all, when we find ourselves about to be beaten?” you smile.

“No, I do mean it. I serve the Emperor directly. I have heard of your name from my superior. We are on the same side!”

You groan. “I hope it’s not who I think it is.”

“We must have Zhang Manxing win the competition,” pleads Xiaofang. “It’s for the sake of the dynasty!” You suppose that his victory would benefit Shun, but still…

“Funny how you say that at this time,” you laugh. “Couldn’t you have told me before?”

“I did not know… I was not sure-“

Xiaofang is interrupted by a loud scream and a gurgle that causes the cheering crowd to fall silent. You snap your head up and see a terrible sight: Songtsu Taide is flat on the floor, cut clean in half at the waist. His blood has stained the floor a dark red, seeping into the wood. Pang Xiaohu has his arms crossed again, red staining his face and clothes. “So, are you going to fight me now, Xu Jing?” Before you can respond, Langtsu Maide shouts out in rage and agony, attempting to run towards his brother’s killer. Jixuan Wuni strikes quickly, knocking Langtsu down from behind while he is distracted. The Tibetan warrior falls down unconscious, out of the fight. That was probably a kind decision – had he not done so, you could see Langtsu sharing his brother’s fate in the next few seconds.

Zhang Manxing is clutching the side of his face, staring wildly around the arena as he tries to figure out what to do next.

The monk, Xuxian, is walking towards Pang Xiaohu with a terrified expression on his face, though you can see that his eyes are full of resolve. It looks like he is joining the fight. The beggar Jiu Mou, on the other hand, has stood up and begins walking the other way, to the edge of the stage. The audience murmurs in surprise as he hops off the stage, disqualifying himself. Casting one last look over the proceedings, he sighs loudly before resting his stick against his shoulder and wandering off.

Prince Tenzin is slumped against one of the stands outside the stage, battered, dazed, and tended to by half a dozen guards. Yunzi catches you looking at her and she shrugs, smiling. “No challenge,” she mouths silently. You shake your head at her arrogance. You’ll see how well she fares against you later.

You can feel the tension rising between Xuxian and Pang Xiaohu, who is looking down on the short, slight monk with raised eyebrows. “It looks like you’re not too bad yourself, baldie,” he grunts. “I guess I’ll take you on before I move onto the main dish.” Hefting his axes again, he attacks.

To his surprise, the monk blocks his axes with his bare palms – you think it is Jinzhongzhao, which Guo Fu had demonstrated before, but somehow in this monk’s hands it seems slightly different. It does not seem to elicit anything but glee from the Little Tiger, however, and his attacks grow ever fiercer.

“Hey,” says a voice timidly under your heel. You look down: you had almost forgotten that you still had Xiaofang under your shoe. She stares up at you.

It’s time to decide what to do with these self-claimed emissaries of Shun’s will. They might be telling the truth, or they might not: you have no time to find out. Still, you feel it is likely that Xiaofang is not lying.

A. You put them out of the tournament. Regardless of what Shun has planned, he is not here right now. You will do as you see fit.
1. You slaughter Zhang Manxing on the stage. What is one more person dead?
2. You spare him – you have clearly shown that you are the better fighter: there is no need to do anything beyond giving him a sound beating.

B. You leave them be: perhaps they do have a plan from Shun, and you do not want to interfere with it more than you already have.

It looks like the state of the battle has changed yet again: in the blink of an eye three competitors out of the original nine have been eliminated, and the Prince appears to have tremendously overestimated his abilities compared to Yunzi. Xuxian and Pang Xiaohu are battling it out in the middle of the stage, with the monk seeming to hold the upper hand. Jixuan Wuni is standing back, waiting to see what you will do. Yunzi is looking at you with a glint in her eyes: you realize that if you don’t do anything at all, she’ll be likely to jump you, looking for a good fight.

A. You join the fight between the monk and the bandit. Yunzi might interfere, but even in that case you should be able to handle the fight.
1. You side with the monk: Pang Xiaohu is a bloodthirsty killer and should be eliminated as soon as possible.
2. You side with the bandit: Xuxian is the stronger fighter, and it makes more sense to defeat him first.
3. You attack them both, turning it into a three-way fight. That's the fun way to do it.

B. You head to the side with Yunzi for the private fight that she wants. You can deal with whoever is left over later, after you’ve finally made it clear to the stubborn Holy Maiden that you are the better fighter.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Oh, wow.

We need to have a looooooong talk with Xiaofang after this.

For now though, B B>A1. The monk can handle himself. Our rematch with Yunzi is way overdue.

(Fucking cool move with the scabbard there by the way.)

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Let's see... BB > A1B.

I still want to pummel the guy a little, but if you bros want to move on, I guess I can do that, too. I'm not really for straight up killing him, though I recognize that he is probably the type to plan some sort of vengeance along with his family in the future so I can be convinced to flop to this is most of what you guys want. Aside from that, I don't really care whether the monk or the bandit win so long as they're busy with each other, so let's go against Yunzi. At least Wuni finished up with his target fairly well! I was right about how he'd get distracted by the defeat of his brother, though absolutely wrong about the circumstances of how that would happen.

Edit: flopped to the above

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Also:

As her qi begins to drain, you sense something off about it though you cannot comprehend just what is strange at the moment.

...is Xiaofang our long-lost sister?!

Nevill

Arcane
To hell with the dynasty. Even if the girl tells the truth, I do not want zhang winning, and one of them will definitely backstab us when we'll be preoccupied with a stronger opponent. It is what they need to win, after all. It is exactly the thing that I was trying to avoid when I chose him as a first opponent.

I am sad to see that Wuxung's influence have grown to the point when he can tell Wudang and Emei to teach his personal disciples. I hoped that this part of zhang's boast was false.

Isn't it too early to take on Yunzi? I imagined our fight would be the main and final dish of the tournament. Moreover, when the winner is decided between the monk and the bandit, he will then engage Wuni in a fight (as he would be the only one free) - and probably win, too, since they are quite powerful. Then, if we win over Yunzi, there will be only two of us left. If we don't want them marrying the princess, we'll have to win the tournament ourselves.

So I guess I'll vote A2A3, and eliminate the extras, first.

Also,
treave said:
Prince Tenzin is slumped against one of the stands outside the stage, battered, dazed, and tended to by half a dozen guards. Yunzi catches you looking at her and she shrugs, smiling. “No challenge,” she mouths silently.
What a joke.

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, I think now is the best time for our duel with Yunzi. After we defeat her, us and our friend can gang up on Xuxian and knock him out.

I know we promised to help him with the princess, but we have a harem of our own to tend to.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BA3

It sounds like a challenge. Yunzi can wait. I want to find out more about these combatants, and beat them up.

Nevill

Arcane
Actually, I think now is the best time for our duel with Yunzi. After we defeat her, us and our friend can gang up on Xuxian and knock him out.
Our matches with her tend to last for a long time. There may not be a friend to gang up on Xuxian. After all, would Xuxian stand idle when there is Wuni?

Oh, and think Yunzi might join you while you are clearing the board.

Baltika9

Arcane
If she doesn't decide to make it into a four-way, or wait us out for an easier win. Then again, she doesn't do "easy." I can go with either 2A3 or 2B, but the really important choice is the first. Leaving zhang the lesser on stage is pretty much a death sentence for us, Shun or not.

Esquilax

Arcane
To hell with the dynasty. Even if the girl tells the truth, I do not want zhang winning, and one of them will definitely backstab us when we'll be preoccupied with a stronger opponent. It is what they need to win, after all. It is exactly the thing that I was trying to avoid when I chose him as a first opponent.

The girl is definitely telling the truth. I was pushing for having our name out just in case this exact situation arose, so Shun's people would know that we're here. If we have an arrangement, I don't think that Xiaofang will do anything to us. zhang the inferior, however, is a different story. As much as it hurts to have Wuni lose, I think we should help Shun because he's a great Emperor. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and all that.

However, if you are intent on putting Manxing out of the tournament, sparing him feels like a half-measure. This man is petty and I think that he's going to come after us in the future if we let him go right now and defeat him without ending his life permanently. His brother destroyed Chanfeng's life for far less and given their connections and this guy's colossal ego, he is still going to want us dead regardless. You either help him win or you grease him, I don't think a middle ground is a good idea in this situation.

I guess the sole benefit here would perhaps be that sparing him might give us some rep with Xuxian, who seems quite BRO. I think that A2A1 would be a good idea if we're gunning for a match against Xuxian. Yunzi is also itching to fight us, but given the Prince's agreement with her, if we beat her, would that mean that Princess Rinchen and Yunzi come with us? I suppose that beating everybody here means that both Yunzi and Rinchen would be in our harem. :lol:

asxetos

Augur
A2 B
A2 A3

The way things have turned out, we should win the tournament.
By winning, it means that we have beaten Yunzi. After that, we can claim Yunzi as our wife and tell the Prince that we are not interested in the Princess.
The whole point will be that we postpone the decision between Zhang Manxing or Wuni (who gets the princess) until after the tournament is over.

But we should kick out the other guys before fighting Yunzi.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Leaving zhang the lesser on stage is pretty much a death sentence for us, Shun or not.
Well, I wouldn't be that dramatic. Now that we've harmed his pretty face, we've made it personal. He will try to murder us, in and out of the tournament. Still, I don't think he has the skill to outright kill us here. To make us lose, maybe.

Still, there are limits to what I can do for Shun, and marrying a girl to a nice rapist is beyond them. Yunzi would not approve. And yes, if we are not guiding him for a win, he is an unneeded nuisance.

Tribute

Arbiter
A2A1>BA1
I'd rather not have any more deaths, and so far this monk doesn't seem the type to kill his opponent. The quicker the bandit's out of the fight, the less chance he has to kill anyone else.

I really don't want Zhang ending up with the princess either, though. He seems like a bit of a psycho.

I hope Jing doesn't end up with the blame for Songtsu Taide's death, considering the killer immediately turned to us and asked if we were willing to fight him now. If we'd gone for him in the first place...

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
However, if you are intent on putting Manxing out of the tournament, sparing him feels like a half-measure.
Yeah, I feel so too. I weighed it... and opted out of it. It is one thing to kill him in combat (and I regret it didn't happen), and another to kill him when he is helpless. Does not help our reputation with Yunzi, Wuni or Xuxian, and makes us more petty.

Let's just mock him to the face. Xu Jing was always the one walking the edge and pissing in the Grand Eunuch's bowls. If we didn't think about the consequences earlier, why should now be different?

(I am down to murdering him quietly outside of tournament, however. Sadly, the character probably won't be)

Tribute

Arbiter
:lol: Xuxian is the strongest guy here, helping him hinders us and Wuni.
As far as winning the tournament goes, yes. As far as making sure nobody else dies, no.

(I am down to murdering him quietly outside of tournament, however. Sadly, the character probably won't be)
We could just have Qilin poison him later. She'd probably do that for her husband, and I imagine she could make it look like an illness or sudden heart attack.

We should probably get the truth from Xiaofang before we think about that, though.

Baltika9

Arcane
Once Little Tiger is out of the game, and Xuxian willput him out of the game, there won't be any more bloodthirsty killers left between Jing, Wuni, Yunzi and Xuxian.
I'm not seeing your point.

Rex Feral

Prophet
There are two things that matter in life.

Slaughtering our enemies and pursuing our women

A1B

Conditional vote (first choice): A1>A2

Why A1?

Niccolo Machiavelli

“People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance.”

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Once Little Tiger is out of the game, and Xuxian willput him out of the game, there won't be any more bloodthirsty killers left between Jing, Wuni, Yunzi and Xuxian.
I'm not seeing your point.
Okay, so you're confident Xuxian will win without being maimed or anything first. Which option were you suggesting, then? B? I would think if anything we should keep an eye on both of them and then smack down the winner while he's still tired/distracted to make sure Wuni wins, rather than distracting ourselves by starting up a duel with Yunzi in the middle of the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom