Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

profreshinal

Arcane
A1A1

Zhang Manxing just piled upon us, tried to make several deadly stabs at us, tried to have us assassinated right after and people want to let him go because he screams Shun. No, he's going down. He might be lying or even Shun's plan might just be to get rid of a cocky brat by having him die at some tournament outside his borders. That actually sounds a great plan to dispose an annoying overconfident scheming and treacherous servant. Killing him is doing Shun a favour.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
profreshinal said:
and people want to let him go because he screams Shun.
I don't give a fuck about Shun. I don't want to kill a guy before Yunzi and Wuni. The first, because killing a surrendered enemy is low, and she would not like seeing that side of us. The second, because it verifies all those rumors about us and gives him the incentive to backstab us out of fear that we betray him.

Last edited:
Voting A2 > B; A1 > B.

My reasoning for the first choice is that whatever chances this douchebag had for winning are pretty much gone by now anyway unless we actually defeat everyone for him and then surrender / disqualify ourselves. Which is going to look like an obvious fucking setup. I don't quite get what was the point of this plot anyway, Shun would have known that chances of this guy actually winning an event like this, even with someone watching his back (and I still don't get how the fuck is that allowed) are slim at best. For fuck sake, unless the bandit and the monk are actually working for him (and I doubt it), how the hell did he expect to win? Maybe Shun was actually trying to get him killed?

Second choice, well I just really dislike that bloodthirsty asshole, to the point where I don't even want to take a third side. But since the monk is winning taking care of Yunzi is also acceptable, though I would prefer to leave her for last and deal with the asshole first. Deal with him, ask the monk to walk away, if not take him out (maybe we could actually gang up on him at this point, Wuni would do it and possibly Yunzi as well if we asked her nicely - it would be a nice change of pace for once to not be on a receiving end of a dog pile). Then finally we can have our fight with Yunzi, preferably ending in both of us getting disqualified.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
Deal with him, ask the monk to walk away, if not take him out (maybe we could actually gang up on him at this point, Wuni would do it and possibly Yunzi as well if we asked her nicely - it would be a nice change of pace for once to not be on a receiving end of a dog pile).
I am afraid that taking only on one of them does not show your intentions clearly enough. If you attack, Yunzi will try to intervene, because what are you doing piling on a contestant when she is standing right there? He has his own opponent!

If you attack both, that may indicate to Yunzi that you want the duo out ASAP, and the reason for that would be clear enough. Which is why I expect her to help.

Then we can get disqualified to our heart's content.

Kipeci

Arcane
Wuni can help us fight whoever it is we are fighting currently. I suppose it won't be a four way match, but a 2v2. I think Yunzi will understand our intention if we attack both of them and help us. She does not want to be interrupted. And if it is 2v2, Wuni can be the third where it matters. Against the monk, probably.

You guys are saying to vote for A3 specifically to keep him safe from the unpredictable ax-wielding maniac and the other strong guy. Inviting him into a melee against both of those at once doesn't do that. And remember, Yunzi wants to win. She wants to take the princess to her temple, she's not in on our scheme. If she can eliminate a straggler from the match while we tire ourselves against two other dudes, I see no reason for her not to take the shot.

I am not turning my back to him or to his girl, both of whom want us out ASAP. There are two of them, and there is only one Wuni.

And Zhang is a crappy warrior while she's a girl with a dagger. Zhang's confidence has been completely shot by his battle with us, he's a mess that can easily be cleaned up by Wuni and the girl isn't a threat with his decent perception.

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
You guys are saying to vote for A3 specifically to keep him safe from the unpredictable ax-wielding maniac and the other strong guy. Inviting him into a melee against both of those at once doesn't do that
You are twisting the argument.

In B, the winner of their match fights Wuni, and Wuni, quite possibly, loses.

In A3, we fight them, and Wuni is free to help. Since he is not the main target, he'll be fine - and provide the much needed support.

Kipeci said:
And remember, Yunzi wants to win.
Less than she wants to fight us.

Kipeci said:
And Zhang is a crappy warrior while she's a girl with a dagger.
Kipeci said:
Zhang's confidence has been completely shot by his battle with us
Which is why he will backstab us and not fight us fairly.
Also, if he didn't fold outright, the guy is quite good. Better than your average noname, at least.

I am afraid that taking only on one of them does not show your intentions clearly enough. If you attack, Yunzi will try to intervene, because what are you doing piling on a contestant when she is standing right there? He has his own opponent!

If you attack both, that may indicate to Yunzi that you want the duo out ASAP, and the reason for that would be clear enough. Which is why I expect her to help.

Then we can get disqualified to our heart's content.
The guy has just cut someone in half. I think it would be pretty clear to Yunzi that we want to remove him from the fight with extreme prejudice first. She's not a moron that she wouldn't understand this.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A1
B

Machiavelli quotes aside, I feel really odd about leaving the creep alive. I'm certain he'll try to avenge himself, in the most underhanded way possible, if we don't nip this in the bud, right here, right now. And I feel Jing has plenty of reason to do so.
As to his female accomplice, who is trying to Duqing palm jing? She might be telling the truth. That just means Shun made a terrible decision in ambassador. Don't choose the lecherous creep. It will backfire.

After killing the creep though, I feel Yunzi deserves some attention. The other fighters might decide to ambush/blindside Jing once he does this, but I don't think Yunzi will take kindly to that. Jing and Yunzi tag-teaming to put the beatdown on the rest of the crew, how cool would that be?

Besides, Yunzi already won her wager with the ruler. Which means the princess is to be a servant in the fire temple. No reason to keep fighting for her. Our promise to Wuni can still be kept, but he'll need to negotiate with Yunzi now to wed her. What better way to help him achieve this, by tousling a bit with Yunzi?

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
The guy has just cut someone in half. I think it would be pretty clear to Yunzi that we want to remove him from the fight with extreme prejudice first. She's not a moron that she wouldn't understand this.
The monk is handing him his ass. Given enough time, he will take care of him by himself. She is not blind, either.

There is no reason for us to interfere on one guy's behalf. There is also the fact that the winner might intervene in our fight. So why have a winner if they can keep each other busy?

Azira said:
Besides, Yunzi already won her wager with the ruler. Which means the princess is to be a servant in the fire temple.
I believe she needs to win the whole competition for that.

Esquilax

Arcane
I am sad to see that Wuxung's influence have grown to the point when he can tell Wudang and Emei to teach his personal disciples. I hoped that this part of zhang's boast was false.

Yep, next time we encounter Bai Jiutian, I expect that he will have full mastery of the Taiji Sword and Qingcheng Stab, as well as probably some Taishan sword techniques as well. While having students that had knowledge of different sect techniques wasn't unheard of before - Master Zhang's base is Shaolin and Wudang martial arts, after all - I get the feeling that Nie Wuxing is putting together this fucked up, political cronyism in which he trains people that are going to advance his interests the most, rather than people who are likely to be strong pugilists that uphold the honor and values of their sect the best.

On another note, Nevill, why are you for keeping zhang Manxing alive?

Kipeci

Arcane
In B, the winner of their match fights Wuni, and Wuni, quite possibly, loses.

In A3, we fight them, and Wuni is free to help. Since he is not the main target, he'll be fine.

With our training and help, I'm pretty sure he can take them. This is a challenge of strength, and while we can help him, this is ultimately his fight and not ours. I don't think his chances are any better when you put him in a fight with three at minimum or even four other people if Yunzi jumps in, and that's going with the hope that Yunzi doesn't challenge him before he joins in that battle. If that happens, he's toast.

Which is why he will backstab us and not fight us fairly.
Also, if he didn't fold outright, the guy is quite good. Better than your average noname, at least.

He tried to have us backstabbed, our perception was too high for it to work out. So will Wuni's. What other sort of unfair tricks do you think he'll be hiding? It seems to me that he's gotten through most fights because of his reputation as a person that you shouldn't touch if you don't have a death wish, something which our Tibetan here won't really care about. As a fighter he was okay, but now he's been reduced to a mess. I think that Wuni would have had good chances against him from the start, but in his current state? No contest.

Zero Credibility said:
The monk is handing him his ass. Given enough time, he will take care of him by himself. She is not blind, either.

There is no reason for us to interfere on one guy's behalf. There is also the fact that the winner might intervene in our fight. So why have a winner if they can keep each other busy?
I really doubt that Yunzi would choose to attack us in the back while we are dealing with the asshole that just cut a guy in half. She's not that stupid.

Tigranes

Arcane
A2A3.

Our most important objective here is to beat Yunzi, and then to help Wuni win the princess, and finally to learn more about and possibly help Shun's alleged agents. If we knew a bit more to be certain that we must help Rapist Dude, maybe our priorities would change. But a volatile battleground where we have much to gain and lose is not the time and place to do a 180'. A good compromise is that we don't kill him - we really have no reason to, if he is really Shun's agent he won't be itching to kill us or anything afterwards, and I don't want us to look so bloodthirsty that Yunzi is repelled, or Wuni decides we can't be trusted.

As for what to do in the fighting, getting it on with Yunzi I expect will cost us the larger fight and the opportunity to help Wuni. Yunzi is the strongest fighter in the ring apart from us and we know that it is not easy for us to beat her. It will become a lengthy and difficult fight, leaving us very open - or her very open - to the axe maniac and other contingencies. I'd prefer that we take care of the monk/axe combination first, then when it's only 3 of us left in the ring, we can tell Wuni to stay out of it as we fight Yunzi. He is likelllly to agree, Yunzi is likely to agree, it's not gonna look too weird as Yunzi is not a regular combatant in the original competition. Getting into Yunzi right now is asking for Wuni to get knocked out, or somebody to backstab us, etc, etc. It also makes it easy for Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuni to knock us out after we bbbbbbeat Yunzi, and it will look like we are exhausted - then we will have beaten Yunzi fair and square and give princess to Wuni.

Fuck my tablet keyboard.

Nevill

Arcane
I really doubt that Yunzi would choose to attack us in the back while we are dealing with the asshole that just cut a guy in half. She's not that stupid.
Why attack us in the back when she can grab our attention and then attack us? Then the bandit will resume his match with the monk.

Or we throw the bandit out and Yunzi grabs us. Then the monk kicks Wuni out. It's not ideal.

Then tell the bitch to chill down and wait her turn. I doubt she is that horny that she can't see the reason while she has to avoid stepping into the poor guy that this asshole just killed.

asxetos

Augur
I can see A2 A3 working out. Yunzi will immediately pick up our strategy and assist us. Then we can have our one on one unhindered. I consider flopping.

Kipeci

Arcane
Our most important objective here is to beat Yunzi, and then to help Wuni win the princess, and finally to learn more about and possibly help Shun's alleged agents. If we knew a bit more to be certain that we must help Rapist Dude, maybe our priorities would change. But a volatile battleground where we have much to gain and lose is not the time and place to do a 180'. A good compromise is that we don't kill him - we really have no reason to, if he is really Shun's agent he won't be itching to kill us or anything afterwards, and I don't want us to look so bloodthirsty that Yunzi is repelled, or Wuni decides we can't be trusted.

He's Shun's agent (if he is Shun's agent, anyway) only in the sense that Shun is putting this idiot to a constructive use. This man very clearly seems to be the type of man who would take from his family the trait of getting incredibly petty over these sorts of things, he's going to want revenge if we beat him and chuck him off the stage. It's better to leave him be and let Wuni take care of that trash.

Nevill

Arcane
Then tell the bitch to chill down and wait her turn. I doubt she is that horny that she can't see the reason while she has to avoid stepping into the poor guy that this asshole just killed.
Does she look the type to chill out?

“Please calm down, Holy Maiden.”

“Oh, I’ll be calm. Here are my calm orders. I want no one to disturb me tonight. Not even the prince. Make sure he never gets within sight of my door… yes, I know it’s his palace. I don’t care.”
Even if she waits for you to take the bandit out, and then jumps you, that still leaves the monk alone with Wuni. And that is against our goal here.

profreshinal

Arcane
The moment Yunzi entered the fray the rules of the tournament changed and we suddenly had 2 goals. Helping Wuni win and defeating/courting Yunzi but it might not be possible to achieve both of them and I wuold rather focus on defeating Yunzi then helping Wuni. If we're afraid of Wuni backstabs it might be a good idea to toss Wuni out of the ring right now instead of fighting axeman or monk. After that we can see what happened to the other 2 fighters and then take them on.

Sunnmøring

Novice
BA3 > BB

I don't want to piss off Shun when word of this gets back to the palace, the guy's sure to lose in his current state but at least this way we'll have spared him.

“Oh, I’ll be calm. Here are my calm orders. I want no one to disturb me tonight. Not even the prince. Make sure he never gets within sight of my door… yes, I know it’s his palace. I don’t care.”
Even if she waits for you to take the bandit out, and then jumps you, that still leaves the monk alone with Wuni. And that is against our goal here.
Just tell her: "What the fuck do you think you are doing!? Have you lost your mind? And wipe the dead guy of your feet!" Seriously, unless she's gone completely nuts she will not bother us until we dealt with the fucking axe murderer.

Baltika9

Arcane
But then we have to take out Xuxian, the strongest dude in the ring, by ourselves too.

asxetos

Augur
The moment Yunzi entered the fray the rules of the tournament changed and we suddenly had 2 goals. Helping Wuni win and defeating/courting Yunzi but it might not be possible to achieve both of them and I wuold rather focus on defeating Yunzi then helping Wuni. If we're afraid of Wuni backstabs it might be a good idea to toss Wuni out of the ring right now instead of fighting axeman or monk. After that we can see what happened to the other 2 fighters and then take them on.

The rules also changed a third time when zhang revealed he is working for Shun.
Seriously, how desperate is Shun in order to send this guy on this quest.
I believe that if we have stayed with the Emperor instead of going to the Fire Cult Shodown this would be our mission :)

Kipeci

Arcane

Just tell her: "What the fuck do you think you are doing!? Have you lost your mind? And wipe the dead guy of your feet!" Seriously, unless she's gone completely nuts she will not bother us until we dealt with the fucking axe murderer.
As opposed to a regular murderer like Jing who goes around popping people's arms off? We were fighting to kill, too, it'd be awfully hypocritical to start moralizing about this guy. This was advertised as a tournament to the death, should we be surprised that it has happened?

Nevill

Arcane
This man very clearly seems to be the type of man who would take from his family the trait of getting incredibly petty over these sorts of things, he's going to want revenge if we beat him and chuck him off the stage. It's better to leave him be and let Wuni take care of that trash.
He is going to want revenge if we kick him out... but he is not going to want revenge if we leave him be and leave him - armed - in the arena. Even after we tore his ear off and scarred his pretty face. He is not so petty to hold that against us, oh no.

The logic is highly amusing.

He will want to take revenge in any case. Except if you leave him be, he is going to try that right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom