Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Its kind of funny how many times one can fall for the same trap again and again.:D

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's called consistency. And we love being consistent, right, Fangshi?

^ Top  
  4. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    Don't get me wrong, I'd have voted for C in a heartbeat, but the last chances that we could assemble a majority of voters for C died off when we went to talk to the guy, even if he was super suspicious of us and very obviously didn't tolerate Jing's presence too well, and at least with B we get to fight people. I guess I'll flop to show my true preference, though it won't change anything.

C>B.

^ Top  
  5. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    An Unexpected Challenger

Jixuan Wuni is a masterful fighter with the chakram, a weapon you have seen only rarely in your travels. He wears the sharpened metal rings around his arms and legs, six on each limb, and is adept at both throwing them from a distance and wielding them as a melee weapon. When worn, they also act as a guard that few fighters would dare strike with their bare hands, helping to augment his unarmed prowess. As you spar with him, you begin to understand the current limits of his ability. Though in terms of speed and strength he is inferior to you, he appears to be able to keep up with your movements with his eyes, even if the rest of his body is unable to follow. Though you did not push him to his limit, his stamina should outstrip yours too: he seems to be a sturdy fellow. Unfortunately, his inner strength is lacking. Jixuan Wuni has not received proper instruction in department, his teacher focusing on the superficial aspect of physical combat and neglecting the cultivation of internal energy. You are not sure whether it is a trait of the school of martial arts he hails from, or whether he is just naturally deficient in the area – you are not experienced enough to tell. You would not have enough time to instruct him on neigong, and you would not be the best person to do so anyway, considering your own strange qi. You may be able to give him some qinggong pointers, however.

Jixuan Wuni’s skill at hand-to-hand combat appears to be equal with that of his weapon ability, though you are quite sure you are still ahead in both aspects. It might also be possible for you to try and adapt some of your sword techniques for use with the chakram. His attacks are quick and forceful, reminiscent of the hard Shaolin styles rather than the soft Taiji method; this should make him rather compatible with the techniques you have. With that in mind, you decide to teach him:

A. Wuying Leipo Kick.

B. Xianglong Eighteen Palms.

C. Shouwang Mad Claws.

D. Chuzhan Fist.

E. Minamoto-ryuu Sword Style.

F. Self-Taught Sword Style.

G. Kuanglang Step.

You step onto the stage, the last to arrive. It is a circular wooden platform that is large enough to occupy a good part of the main square. The people of the city are watching from stands set up specifically for the tournament, windows, and even the rooftops of the buildings around the square. Loud music blares from their pipe instruments as the audience cheers excitedly for the fight to begin. You glance casually around the stage, looking at the opposing fighters.

Jixuan Wuni is already here, his expression deadly serious. He gives you a brief nod when you catch his eye.

Besides him is a young Tibetan warrior, one of the sons of the Prince’s trusted general, it seems: Langtsu Maide, and then his brother, Songtsu Taide. Both are bedecked in light armour, spear in one hand and shield in the other. They look straight ahead, calmly awaiting the start of battle.

Then there is the young beggar, Jiu Mou, lying on his side in his dirty clothes as he shakes one propped-up leg in a rude manner. He glances at you and shrugs, tapping his beggar’s stick to a catchy beat.

The Shaolin-trained Tibetan monk, Xuxian, is the next one you see. He sits cross-legged, his palms clapped together and his eyes closed in serene meditation. You sense a vague, quiet power about him.

The Bandit Prince, Pang Xiaohu, is standing with arms folded, his shaggy hair resting on his shoulders. He looks rather impatient as he stares at you: you can sense his bloodlust. Here is a man that loves to fight.

Finally, there is Zhang Manxing and one of his servants, a cowering girl who seems to be called Xiaofang. You wonder why she is still fighting when her eyes betray the massive amount of panic that must be swirling in her mind. Zhang already has a sword in hand, looking imperiously at the rest of the fighters. He frowns when he sees you – it looks like he had not recognized you as the infamous Man Tiger Pig before this, but he seems no less confident.

The guests of honour are sitting at a special stand which, of course, has the best view of the stage. Yunzi is there swaddled in jewelry and finery, the female Amesha Spenta Armaiti standing behind her. There is a handsome Tibetan man in his late twenties dressed in rich and colourful robes: this must be Prince Songtsen Tenzin. His sisters sit next to him – there is the one you saw before at the inn, Princess Sonam Jinpa, and the goal of the tournament herself, Princess Pema Rinchen.

Prince Tenzin stands up and raises his hand. The noisy pipes fall silent, as does the crowd. “Good citizens of Dukezong!” he proclaims, his voice strong and rich enough to carry throughout the square. As he begins to introduce the purpose of the tournament yet again, you catch sight of Qilin and Cao’er in the aged section of the crowd, waving a banner that somehow reads “GOOD LUCK MY DUCK” which seems to be rather well-accepted by the cheerful old Tibetans sitting around them. They must have misspelled it, you think.

“Before we begin the tournament, I would once again like to restate my proposal to the lovely and talented Holy Maiden of the Fire Temple, Lady Yunzi, in front of all the people that I love,” says the prince cheerfully. As he turns to Yunzi and bows, beaming, you see her expression freeze. You grin. It looks like he’s been just a bit too pushy, and this is the last straw. Yunzi does not say a word in response. She stands up silently, ignoring the protests of Armaiti.

Then, she leaps onto the stage.

The square becomes very, very quiet.

“Noble prince!” she shouts, pulling the jewelry off of her in a very unmaidenly manner. “Where I come from, a proposal must be backed by courage and strength! I will not yield to anyone who is my inferior, so if you think you are good enough, show it!” You do not think it is a very diplomatic way of speaking to a powerful prince of Tufan, but then again, she has never been a very diplomatic princess.

Prince Tenzin’s smile only grows wider, the fires of his interest stoked by Yunzi’s challenge. His guards and ministers surround him, pleading with him not to be rash, but he waves them away. “Interesting! Lady Yunzi, do you mean your words?”

“I believe in what I say,” replies Yunzi with conviction. “On the other hand, should I win this competition, I would have your sister join me in the Temple.” As hostage for Prince Tenzin’s good behaviour, you presume, but that remains unspoken.

“Done!” grins the prince fiercely. He follows onto the stage with a confident stride, leaving behind a lot of concerned and worried court members.

As Yunzi walks by you haughtily, putting some distance between her and Prince Tenzin, you whisper, “Admit it, you just wanted an excuse to fight me.”

“Aren’t you getting a bit too full of yourself? Anyway, last night was inconclusive. Let’s make this round three,” she replies quietly.

A few of the other contestants appear to be rather confused at the sudden inclusion of Yunzi and Prince Tenzin: are they allowed to hurt them? They do not have time to ponder any possible, unspoken changes in the rules, however, as the prince shouts for the tournament to begin.

He immediately goes after Yunzi, who casts you a look of annoyance and darts off to face him.

It takes a few seconds for the other participants to decide what they want to do… and as you expected, all of them turn to look at you. You would not be surprised if at least some of them have come to an agreement beforehand.

You tap your foot impatiently, scratching your head as you count the stares. “One, two, three... look, I know I’m the best looking guy around here, but don’t stare at me together like that. I’m shy.” Somehow, what you say triggers them to launch their attack. Xuxian and Jiu Mou stay behind, standing where they are, but the others shamelessly make a charge at you. Before they can get to you, Jixuan Wuni blindsides Langtsu Maide, knocking down the Tibetan officer while he is too preoccupied with your presence.

It’s time for you to act. It would probably be wiser for you to leave the monk and the beggar aside instead of drawing them into the fight, but as for the others…

A. You focus your attack on Pang Xiaohu, the Little Tiger who is swinging around an axe in each hand and laughing maniacally. He seems to be a powerful fighter.

B. You focus your attack on Zhang Manxing: that man rubs you the wrong way, and you want him to be the first one to go.

C. You focus your attack on Songtsu Taide, attempting to defeat the Tibetan before he goes back to his brother’s aid.

D. You try to slip past your assailants and attack Langtsu Maide, going to Jixuan Wuni’s aid. It’ll be easier for him to defeat the man if it is two on one.

E. You go after Prince Tenzin, attempting to drag him and Yunzi into the battle. He can’t expect to have an uninterrupted duel with her if he steps into a stage that he declared to be a free-for-all, can he?

1. You hold back, using just the minimum amount of force whenever possible.

2. You will not hold anything back. If anyone dies... well, they knew the risks coming into the competition.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    A two-part choice with 10 variations in the second part.

There go daily updates. :(

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I just figured that people might not want to use deadly force against certain opponents, hence the combinations.

^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DE1

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I know what I don't want to do in the fight. I don't want to help Wuni. The man has to accomplish something by himself, and he was quite confident before. Even if he falls, there is still Yunzi who can win and take the girl with her.

I wonder who is that girl with zhang manxing. It appears she is here against her will. I believe zhang will pull a dirty trick from his sleeve - the man is known for using drugs in a rather inappropriate circumstances. Decent people seem to stay away from their alliance, it seems. I want him out first. If we attack him, I suggest using lethal force.

Of cource, there is Prince Tenzin, but I feel like Yunzi wants to have him to herself. It is unlikely she will attack us when we are occupied by other fighters, and it is quite probable she will help us clear the board, first, to have a match without interruptions. Though if we defeat her when there will be no one left standing, we might unwittingly come out as a winner.

treave, would qinggong help Wuni to overcome this?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    ^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The speed part, yes. He has some qinggong of his own, but you can help him out further.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, he has good PER, but his muscle reaction is lacking. Qinggong looks like an all-purpose upgrade, while all of our techs are quite specific in their use. I think it would help him more than imparting some basic level tech on him, some of which we don't know all that well ourselves.

Besides, what good are our techs if he lacks the speed and the brute force to execute them?

GB2

I don't think the prince will defeat Yunzi easily, and we should take care of ourselves while there are 3 combatants piling on us.

If we take care of manxing, the servant girl will most likely drop out, too. That's a bonus.

^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Eighteen palms doesn't reveal any of our secrets, and gives this guy a flexible and easy to incorporate attack.

As for the tournament, these guys knew what they were in for. Let's give it to them.

Unleash!
    B>G
    A>C>B>E>D

I chose the bandit prince to attack because he seems like a hard and fast attacker. We're going to be exhausted at the end of this, so it's best to take out the guy with poor defense (relatively) and a strong attack so we don't wear out too quickly dodging and parrying his blows.

^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I'm down with Nevill's argument for the first vote. As for the second, no way am I letting that fucker take Yunzi by duel, but she seems pretty confident of her victory, so I'm conflicted.

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    There are other fighters on the field, though, who are not keen on dogpiling us. The monk, the beggar and Yunzi. It is not about just Jing.

What I would like is to prevent backstabs. The purpose of zhang's girl is being a disposable decoy and/or flanking partner. Judging by how afraid she is, she does not amount to much as a fighter, so she is easy to forget about. But as she seems to have no choice in the matter, it is quite likely that a dirty trick would come from that side. I want her master down, and her out of the arena.

She is your equal in ability. You just have to trust her to hold her ground.

Do you think yourself to be weaker than the prince?

^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'll worry about possible rogue backstabs after dealing with the low AC barbarian with two axes.

If she backstabs us, she's probably going to try something stupid like attacking a pressure point. If it's a poisoned dagger, well, we've had worse.

^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Man, this is what we get for sitting on that island for so long. The prince is definitely a tenatious fucker and the worst part is that we don't know his level of skill and so can't judge how likely Yunzi is to lose or beat him.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    In the worst case you can always murder him right on the stage. :P

Come on, Yunzi does not like being babysat.

^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    That's exactly what I want to do, preferably with our fist through his skull.
    Exhaustion isn't a big problem any more thanks to our qi vampirism, but a poisoned knife in the back will still fuck us up royally.
    Besides, the Little Tiger's (d'awwww) bloodlust and intensity is nothing compared to Lord Zhang's and common sense dictates that we go for the head of the alliance against us, and that very likely would be zhang the inferior.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Then why are you going soft on him? Be a man, vote 2! :P

No, seriously, if he defeats Yunzi and tries to use it as an argument to marry her, we still have a way to shut him up. After all, if he defeats her, and we defeat him, does it not make us even more wotrhy of her hand?

Somehow I doubt we will avoid a confrontation between us, no matter what we choose here. So let's not rush things.

^ Top  
  20. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Among the other fighters that are piling on us, maybe one of the brothers is worthy of our attention? As spearmen, they're a pretty good match against Jixuan's techniques, so letting them reunite would be pretty bad for him, especially if they can fight in tandem.
    B-but we might hurt Yunzi! :(

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    G - this sounds like something that would be useful to him
    A2 > B2 - on the perfectly rational grounds that I like these two the least (and the Prince is occupied right now). A because seriously, dual wielding axes while laughing maniacally? This guy is just bad news waiting to happen to someone and right now is focused on us. And B because the guy is a douchebag. And why is he allowed to bring his servant to the fight anyway? Ugh, is this more formations again or is he just using her as a meatshield / distraction?

And fuck going easy on those two assholes. I assume we will be offered a choice on how to proceed regarding going all out after we (hopefully) deal with our first target? This choice does not commit us to going lethal on everyone, does it?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    It doesn't, and there's a reason the servant girl is allowed to be there. Nothing to do with formations.

^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Do we know that reason? Is she actually fighting for him?

^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You don't know that reason because you didn't pick the choices that would let you know that reason. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Ring-outs are a valid means of elimination, yes? Could we take down Zhang and then push the girl out of the ring before she gets herself killed by the crazed ax-wielding maniac?

Alternately we could just kill the crazed ax-wielding maniac first.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.